The idle mind knows not what it is it wants. -- Quintus Ennius

arts / alt.arts.poetry.comments / Re: Behind the Forest / a poem by Will Dockery

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Behind the Forest / a poem by Will DockeryZod
`- Re: Behind the Forest / a poem by Will DockeryWill Dockery

1
Re: Behind the Forest / a poem by Will Dockery

<33565bef-3985-456d-89de-35ab9fb3ed44n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186215&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#186215

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2022 13:52:48 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Behind the Forest / a poem by Will Dockery
From: vhugo...@gmail.com (Zod)
 by: Zod - Mon, 5 Dec 2022 21:52 UTC

Will Dockery wrote:

> [...]
>
> Re: Behind The Forest / Will Dockery - Google Groups
> Google Groups Jan 2, 2014 - "Peter J Ross" <p...@homeridae.org> wrote in
> message news:slrnlc913i.n4m.pjr@homeri dae.org ... > In alt.arts.poetry.com
> ments on Wed, 1 Jan ...
>
> And the Playgrounds Magazine issue in 2005 I published the poem in:
>
> ----
> To The Magic Store by Will Dockery
>
> [Playgrounds Magazine, April 2005]
>
> "But, truly, I have wept too much! The Dawns are heartbreaking. Every
> moon
> is atrocious and every sun bitter..." -Arthur Rimbaud
>
> Passings and Arrivals:
>
> I stopped by Isis House recently, and Norma told me that Smiley [Earl
> Parrish] has died.
>
> Literally hundreds of memories, all happy, many hilarious of *our*, and
> certainly one of the last, true Southern Gentlemen, come to mind, some
> of
> the best:
>
> Smiley's poem, "Georgia":
>
> "From the shores of the Atlantic,
> To the banks of the Chattahoochie...
> It's Geeeeeorrrr-gia..."
>
> That he often read at the original poetry open mics.
>
> His excellent reditions of show-tunes, and his show-stopper versions of
> "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" and "Don't Sit Under The Apple Tree With
> Anyone
> Else But Me".
>
> "And lots of other things..." -Johnny Cash.
>
> <snip>
>
> A poem from different, and simpler, times:
>
> ----
> Behind The Forest.
>
> Under the tent,
> can't describe this light.
> Under the black base are blue and red shadows.
> The ink glistens, silvery like tiny mercury.
>
> Working to purity,
> music and words and sweat.
> No tears.
> Forget tomorrow.
> Let go the problems in time.
>
> Sun bleached cure,
> the addiction does not hold me,
> as the drugs,
> human drugs,
> create the sound.
> Saint Augustine night, moon mother smiles.
>
> Catch the flow,
> it may never be back again, though possible.
> Poetic form disintegrates,
> quit cold turkey,
> so I can find what I have lost.
> Termite stars shine on the oldest city.
>
> The fascist doctors are no match for the
> old man with beads.
> Double digeridoo warble,
> aboriginal soul hum.
> Sweat, blue meets red.
> Let it drop for peace of mind.
>
> Fingerpicking violinist weaves notes
> through the breeze...
> words about money float by.
> Hope springs eternal
> as long as the well ain't dry.
>
> -Will Dockery
>
> That's it for now, take care, and email your Smiley memories for next
> issue's remembrance of this Shadowville legend, now passed.

Cool back story, reading again...!

Re: Behind the Forest / a poem by Will Dockery

<bd9d7562-cff7-4e29-b4d1-bbbbef5060e8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186485&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#186485

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2022 16:14:30 -0800 (PST)
From: opb...@yahoo.com (Will Dockery)
 by: Will Dockery - Wed, 7 Dec 2022 00:14 UTC

On Monday, December 5, 2022 at 4:52:49 PM UTC-5, Zod wrote:
> [...]
> > Saint Augustine night, moon mother smiles.
> >
> > Catch the flow,
> > it may never be back again, though possible.
> > Poetic form disintegrates,
> > quit cold turkey,
> > so I can find what I have lost.
> > Termite stars shine on the oldest city.
> >
> > The fascist doctors are no match for the
> > old man with beads.
> > Double digeridoo warble,
> > aboriginal soul hum.
> > Sweat, blue meets red.
> > Let it drop for peace of mind.
> >
> > Fingerpicking violinist weaves notes
> > through the breeze...
> > words about money float by.
> > Hope springs eternal
> > as long as the well ain't dry.
> >
> > -Will Dockery
> >
> > That's it for now, take care, and email your Smiley memories for next
> > issue's remembrance of this Shadowville legend, now passed.

Thanks again for reading and commenting.

🙂

arts / alt.arts.poetry.comments / Re: Behind the Forest / a poem by Will Dockery