A squeegee by any other name wouldn't sound as funny.

arts / alt.arts.poetry.comments / Re: OT: DOG DAYS OF AUTUMN / Pendragon / c&c

SubjectAuthor
* Re: OT: DOG DAYS OF AUTUMN / Pendragon / c&cMichael Pendragon
`* Re: OT: DOG DAYS OF AUTUMN / Pendragon / c&cNancyGene
 `- Re: OT: DOG DAYS OF AUTUMN / Pendragon / c&cMichael Pendragon

1
Re: OT: DOG DAYS OF AUTUMN / Pendragon / c&c

<0ae3117a-2c85-4be2-b61d-93c83696efc3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=204759&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#204759

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2023 10:04:08 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: OT: DOG DAYS OF AUTUMN / Pendragon / c&c
From: michaelm...@gmail.com (Michael Pendragon)
 by: Michael Pendragon - Fri, 17 Mar 2023 17:04 UTC

On Saturday, August 13, 2016 at 10:48:24 PM UTC-4, Michael Pendragon wrote:
> [...]
> It's a good life when the sunlight bakes the air and the Southern breezes stir the leaves and weeds just so, like a gentle wicker fan. A man can really feel his bones on days like these -- and I had all the time in the world to savor this one.
> No nagging wife to pass on menial chores she really should have done the day before; no noisy little kids to break the rhythmic spell cricket lovesongs and cicada lays. No one at all, save me and my Dad; and this Summer Dad never said a word.
> Now Summer's great, but early Autumn has always been my favorite time of year. With its big ol' hunter's moon hanging heavy in the evening sky, and the trees all decked out in red and gold like gypsy caravans atop the hills.. But it was still September when Dad was felled by a stroke that hit with all the quickness and ferocity of a woodsman's axe.
> I found him lying on the kitchen floor with a half-opened can of dog food clutched tightly in his hand. For the first time in God-knows-how-long he tried speaking to me, but the sounds that came out of his mouth were no longer intelligible. I picked him up and carried him to his bed, and there he stayed for brief period of life that was allotted him. About two months, give or take.
> Before the year's first snowfall he lay dead. And for the first time in my life, I was alone. Not truly alone, I suppose, because I still had the dogs -- Inky, Stinky, Tinky-Wink, and Sue. But they never took to me, nor I to them, in the way they had taken to that old man. Him they'd loved like a father. Me treated like their keeper.
> Which would have been okay, if it weren't for the way I catch them staring at me. There's an old saying that a dog's no longer any good once he's raided the henhouse. You might as well take him out back and shoot him then and there. Once he's got the taste of blood in him, he'll keep on going back for more and more. And I'm guessing the same holds true for human flesh as well.
> It's been three years since Father's death, and those dogs still follow at my heels with a lean and hungry look. I tell myself that it's just my imagination, but I know that deep down, behind all the tail-wags and friendly puppy-dog smiles, they're counting out the days, weeks, months, and years till I lay down my head a final time. Perhaps it will be in the early Autumn.. If I have to die, I'd like it to be in the Autumn.
> And if the ground is not yet frozen from the frosted nights, then Inky, Stinky, Tinky-Wink, and Sue can bury my bones in all their secret places in the yard ... those same, scattered caches where they'd hidden the last traces of my father.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: OT: DOG DAYS OF AUTUMN / Pendragon / c&c

<e6c08b08-25f3-447d-98ef-3eefd7777bb5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=204863&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#204863

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2023 15:35:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: nancygen...@gmail.com (NancyGene)
 by: NancyGene - Fri, 17 Mar 2023 22:35 UTC

On Friday, March 17, 2023 at 5:04:09 PM UTC, Michael Pendragon wrote:
> [...]
> > It's been three years since Father's death, and those dogs still follow at my heels with a lean and hungry look. I tell myself that it's just my imagination, but I know that deep down, behind all the tail-wags and friendly puppy-dog smiles, they're counting out the days, weeks, months, and years till I lay down my head a final time. Perhaps it will be in the early Autumn. If I have to die, I'd like it to be in the Autumn.
> > And if the ground is not yet frozen from the frosted nights, then Inky, Stinky, Tinky-Wink, and Sue can bury my bones in all their secret places in the yard ... those same, scattered caches where they'd hidden the last traces of my father.
> >
> It makes one wonder what's buried outside the Donkey shed.
Anthropologists of the future will be shocked at what is in the midden. It should be about 40x40 and 40 feet deep. Sixty-plus years of dumping.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: OT: DOG DAYS OF AUTUMN / Pendragon / c&c

<29e58fec-93a1-46f8-b33d-92410f9375d3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=204974&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#204974

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2023 17:50:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: michaelm...@gmail.com (Michael Pendragon)
 by: Michael Pendragon - Sun, 19 Mar 2023 00:50 UTC