No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -- Eleanor Roosevelt

arts / alt.arts.poetry.comments / Re: February / George Dance

SubjectAuthor
* Re: February / George DanceWill Dockery
`- Re: February / George DanceGeneral-Zod

1
Re: February / George Dance

<5a72cc1a-ff6e-4413-a2a2-b8489353b65fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=216575&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#216575

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2023 11:49:52 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: February / George Dance
From: opb...@yahoo.com (Will Dockery)
 by: Will Dockery - Fri, 2 Jun 2023 18:49 UTC

On Wednesday, February 11, 2009 at 10:22:23 PM UTC-5, Will Dockery wrote:
> On Feb 11, 9:58 pm, George Dance wrote:
> > On Feb 11, 6:10 pm, Will Dockery wrote:
> >
> > > George Dance wrote...

> > > Nice work, I like the way the repetition of phrases shifts the
> > > perspective.
> >
> > Well, I only wrote the first three lines; the rest of that's either
> > Sherman or Rogers fucking with my lines.
> Well, you wrote all three lines, so I don't see any way anyone else
> could get away with claiming they wrote them... all three would be
> yours in any combination, and either Karla or GB would get a credit
> for /arranging/ the lines, at best.

Here ^^°^°^^^^^

> In fact, I thought of commenting to GB's post that he was really
> following through on Dale Houstman's "post-art world of plagiarism &
> collage":
> "...There are some reasons to believe that we are already living in a
> "post-art" world, in which all work produced is merely collage and
> plagiarism, comments on art rather than art itself. And it didn't
> happen
> because "scientists 'explained' art" (whatever that could mean), but
> because the surrounding culture, driven by mere Sensation, the
> ubiquity
> of entertainment, and the "hive-mind" radiated by TV and the like,
> has
> become less a viable habitat for individual expression and for the
> quiet
> and timeless interstices in which imagination finds its outlet..."
> Anyway, the point of this post was to make it clear that GB didn't
> write those lines, and the ones that followed used quite a bit of what
> could be called "collage", though I didn't bother to get into all that
> explicitly.

And here ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> > But it is an interesting form, isn't it? A 9-line poem with 3 lines
> > each repeated three times.
> Yes, and would work well for lyrics, also.
> > It would be hard to find lines strong enough to hold up all the way
> > through; or flexible enough to change in meaning as in a triolet or
> > villanelle.
> >
> > I just tried writing one, using the first three lines that looked like
> > they'd work together:
> >
> > Ever after
> > They come,
> > she says:
> >
> > “They come,”
> > she says.
> > Ever after,
> >
> > she says:
> > “Ever after,
> > They come.”
> >
> > I might try writing a poem that way, but not poor "February."> --
> Not bad, not bad at all.
> --
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6BGlXmtzE8
> Vocals: Will Dockery. Music: The Shadowville Allstars. Based on
> "Greybeard Cavalier" by Will Dockery, 0x0000 and Brian Fowler.
> Video by Doug Cole

See above, Pendragon.

Re: February / George Dance

<0527fb996a80446019601056eeb07bca@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=246271&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#246271

Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 21:12:25 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: General-Zod - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 21:12 UTC

Will Dockery wrote:

>> > Well, I only wrote the first three lines; the rest of that's either
>> > Sherman or Rogers fucking with my lines.
>> Well, you wrote all three lines, so I don't see any way anyone else
>> could get away with claiming they wrote them... all three would be
>> yours in any combination, and either Karla or GB would get a credit
>> for /arranging/ the lines, at best.

> Here ^^°^°^^^^^

>> In fact, I thought of commenting to GB's post that he was really
>> following through on Dale Houstman's "post-art world of plagiarism &
>> collage":
>> "...There are some reasons to believe that we are already living in a
>> "post-art" world, in which all work produced is merely collage and
>> plagiarism, comments on art rather than art itself. And it didn't
>> happen
>> because "scientists 'explained' art" (whatever that could mean), but
>> because the surrounding culture, driven by mere Sensation, the
>> ubiquity
>> of entertainment, and the "hive-mind" radiated by TV and the like,
>> has
>> become less a viable habitat for individual expression and for the
>> quiet
>> and timeless interstices in which imagination finds its outlet..."
>> Anyway, the point of this post was to make it clear that GB didn't
>> write those lines, and the ones that followed used quite a bit of what
>> could be called "collage", though I didn't bother to get into all that
>> explicitly.

> And here ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>> > But it is an interesting form, isn't it? A 9-line poem with 3 lines
>> > each repeated three times.
>> Yes, and would work well for lyrics, also.
>> > It would be hard to find lines strong enough to hold up all the way
>> > through; or flexible enough to change in meaning as in a triolet or
>> > villanelle.
>> >
>> > I just tried writing one, using the first three lines that looked like
>> > they'd work together:
>> >
>> > Ever after
>> > They come,
>> > she says:
>> >
>> > “They come,”
>> > she says.
>> > Ever after,
>> >
>> > she says:
>> > “Ever after,
>> > They come.”
>> >
>> > I might try writing a poem that way, but not poor "February."> --
>> Not bad, not bad at all.
>> --
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6BGlXmtzE8
>> Vocals: Will Dockery. Music: The Shadowville Allstars. Based on
>> "Greybeard Cavalier" by Will Dockery, 0x0000 and Brian Fowler.
>> Video by Doug Cole

> See above, Pendragon.

***** Crickets *****

Ha ha.

arts / alt.arts.poetry.comments / Re: February / George Dance