We all know that no one understands anything that isn't funny.

arts / rec.arts.tv / What Did You Watch? 2024-05-03 (Friday)

SubjectAuthor
* What Did You Watch? 2024-05-03 (Friday)Ubiquitous
+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-05-03 (Friday)Ian J. Ball
|`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-05-03 (Friday)Arthur Lipscomb
| +- Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-05-03 (Friday)Adam H. Kerman
| +- Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-05-03 (Friday)anim8rfsk
| `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-05-03 (Friday)Ubiquitous
|  `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-05-03 (Friday)anim8rfsk
`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-05-03 (Friday)anim8rfsk
 `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-05-03 (Friday)anim8rfsk
  +* Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-05-03 (Friday)Ian J. Ball
  |+* YAMID:submarines, was: What Did You Watch? 2024-05-03 (Friday)danny burstein
  ||`* Re: YAMID:submarines, was: What Did You Watch? 2024-05-03 (Friday)anim8rfsk
  || `* Re: YAMID:submarines, was: What Did You Watch? 2024-05-03 (Friday)danny burstein
  ||  `* Re: YAMID:submarines, was: What Did You Watch? 2024-05-03 (Friday)anim8rfsk
  ||   `* Re: YAMID:submarines, was: What Did You Watch? 2024-05-03 (Friday)danny burstein
  ||    `- Re: YAMID:submarines, was: What Did You Watch? 2024-05-03 (Friday)anim8rfsk
  |`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-05-03 (Friday)anim8rfsk
  `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-05-03 (Friday)Dimensional Traveler

1
What Did You Watch? 2024-05-03 (Friday)

<UBI20240504@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=223897&group=rec.arts.tv#223897

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2024-05-03 (Friday)
From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Date: Sat, 04 May 2024 04:30:40 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Sat, 4 May 2024 08:30 UTC

I watched:

ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS:
"Fashion". Edina hits a bottleneck in her attempt to give up drinking:
She doesn't want to quit. Wow, this show hasn't aged well! I think
there was an extra ten minutes that was cur to make it 30 minutes long
when I watched it.

ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS:
"Fat". Edina weighs the possibility of exercise to shed pounds. Wow,
this show hasn't aged well!

ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS:
"France". A holiday in Provence goes awry when the ladies find
themselves suffering through second-class accommodations. Wow, this
show hasn't aged well!

What did you watch?

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-05-03 (Friday)

<v15m4n$19311$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=223901&group=rec.arts.tv#223901

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-05-03 (Friday)
Date: Sat, 4 May 2024 09:01:27 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sat, 4 May 2024 16:01 UTC

On 5/4/24 1:30 AM, Ubiquitous wrote:

> What did you watch?

I didn't get as much work done as I would have liked, but I did OK.
After running errands, I came home, and watched a soap, and a Lifetime
movie:

soaps: GH - Wed's ep. TJ is doing a good job of making even NuKristina
look good in comparison (and I don't even like NuKristina, esp. in
comparison to FormerKristina (Lexi Ainsworth)!), by acting like a whiny,
unreasonable bitch. Drew pitches Curtis a new job opportunity, which
Curtis ultimately accepts, but only after Nina warns him off it (and
Drew!). Booby Vista's character continues to be completely awful - in
this one she alienates Alexis (though, admittedly, Alexis is easy to
alienate!). Maxie pretty much puts her foot down, and with Scott
Baldwin's help (I thought Kin Shriner said he was off the show again,
but that was months ago!?!), tells Lucy she can't be Deception's
spokesperson (like, *duh*!).

Our Mother's Secret Affair - I recorded this off LMN on Thursday night,
but I was too tired to watch it then, so I saved it for Friday night.
This was a decent enough mystery-thriller, though I sussed out who
was behind the thugwoman going after the mom (Ashley Leggat) pretty
early on. Though the film tried its darndest to throw at least 3 or 4
viable suspects at us as to who the ringleader after the mom was.
This is Ashley Leggat's first Lifetime flick in about a decade. She
still looks relatively good, but, yeah - she can't pass for the ingenue
anymore. But it's also a lot to swallow seeing her playing the mom of
*two teens* (Leggat is 37, apparently, so this math barely works, if at
all!) - she's not that old!
The two daughter actresses (Laura Afelskie and Laura Provenzano)
were OK, though I wish we'd seen more of the sulky "secret daughter"
(Provenzano) rather than the boring "good daughter" (Afelskie).
I did like that the thugwoman (Andrea Pavlovic) going after the mom
was perennially incompetent - that part seems true-to-life!
P.S. The guy writing this clearly knows *nothing* about cars!! Hint:
Putting bleach in the gas tank doesn't cause the brakes to fail!!

What did you watch?

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-05-03 (Friday)

<v16c48$1e8kn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=223913&group=rec.arts.tv#223913

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 4 May 2024 15:16:41 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Sat, 4 May 2024 22:16 UTC

On 5/4/2024 9:01 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 5/4/24 1:30 AM, Ubiquitous wrote:
>
>> What did you watch?
>
> I didn't get as much work done as I would have liked, but I did OK.
> After running errands, I came home, and watched a soap, and a Lifetime
> movie:
>
> soaps: GH - Wed's ep. TJ is doing a good job of making even NuKristina
> look good in comparison (and I don't even like NuKristina, esp. in
> comparison to FormerKristina (Lexi Ainsworth)!), by acting like a whiny,
> unreasonable bitch. Drew pitches Curtis a new job opportunity, which
> Curtis ultimately accepts, but only after Nina warns him off it (and
> Drew!). Booby Vista's character continues to be completely awful - in
> this one she alienates Alexis (though, admittedly, Alexis is easy to
> alienate!). Maxie pretty much puts her foot down, and with Scott
> Baldwin's help (I thought Kin Shriner said he was off the show again,
> but that was months ago!?!), tells Lucy she can't be Deception's
> spokesperson (like, *duh*!).
>
> Our Mother's Secret Affair - I recorded this off LMN on Thursday night,
> but I was too tired to watch it then, so I saved it for Friday night.
>    This was a decent enough mystery-thriller, though I sussed out who
> was behind the thugwoman going after the mom (Ashley Leggat) pretty
> early on. Though the film tried its darndest to throw at least 3 or 4
> viable suspects at us as to who the ringleader after the mom was.
>    This is Ashley Leggat's first Lifetime flick in about a decade. She
> still looks relatively good, but, yeah - she can't pass for the ingenue
> anymore. But it's also a lot to swallow seeing her playing the mom of
> *two teens* (Leggat is 37, apparently, so this math barely works, if at
> all!) - she's not that old!
>    The two daughter actresses (Laura Afelskie and Laura Provenzano)
> were OK, though I wish we'd seen more of the sulky "secret daughter"
> (Provenzano) rather than the boring "good daughter" (Afelskie).
>    I did like that the thugwoman (Andrea Pavlovic) going after the mom
> was perennially incompetent - that part seems true-to-life!
>    P.S. The guy writing this clearly knows *nothing* about cars!! Hint:
> Putting bleach in the gas tank doesn't cause the brakes to fail!!

LOL

> What did you watch?

I watched:

Planet of the Apes (blu-ray) 1968 movie starring Charlton Heston as an
astronaut who programs his ship's computer to return him to Earth before
going into hibernation. He then returns to Earth looks up at the sky
and announces he has no idea what planet he's on. You know with the
distinctive moon, big dipper, and all the other constellations he can
see by looking up at night. But to be fair, this guy's job doesn't
really involve needing knowledge about what's in the sky, does it? He
then encounters other humans, but that's not a tip off. Hey, you're the
same species as I am, but I still don't know what planet this is! He
then encounters other native that speak English. But you can't expect
the natives speaking English to tip him off either. He doesn't even
question it! There was just no way to figure out which planet he was on
until a twist at the end. Still good movie that holds up great.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-05-03 (Friday)

<v16dcf$1echd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=223915&group=rec.arts.tv#223915

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 4 May 2024 22:38:07 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sat, 4 May 2024 22:38 UTC

Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>Planet of the Apes (blu-ray) 1968 movie starring Charlton Heston as an
>astronaut who programs his ship's computer to return him to Earth before
>going into hibernation. He then returns to Earth looks up at the sky
>and announces he has no idea what planet he's on. You know with the
>distinctive moon, big dipper, and all the other constellations he can
>see by looking up at night. But to be fair, this guy's job doesn't
>really involve needing knowledge about what's in the sky, does it? He
>then encounters other humans, but that's not a tip off. Hey, you're the
>same species as I am, but I still don't know what planet this is! He
>then encounters other native that speak English. But you can't expect
>the natives speaking English to tip him off either. He doesn't even
>question it! There was just no way to figure out which planet he was on
>until a twist at the end. Still good movie that holds up great.

Hahahahaha

I love this movie.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-05-03 (Friday)

<943361432.736562458.254753.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=223941&group=rec.arts.tv#223941

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 4 May 2024 21:36:12 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 5 May 2024 04:36 UTC

> [...]
> astronaut who programs his ship's computer to return him to Earth before
> going into hibernation. He then returns to Earth looks up at the sky
> and announces he has no idea what planet he's on. You know with the
> distinctive moon, big dipper, and all the other constellations he can
> see by looking up at night. But to be fair, this guy's job doesn't
> really involve needing knowledge about what's in the sky, does it? He
> then encounters other humans, but that's not a tip off. Hey, you're the
> same species as I am, but I still don't know what planet this is! He
> then encounters other native that speak English. But you can't expect
> the natives speaking English to tip him off either. He doesn't even
> question it! There was just no way to figure out which planet he was on
> until a twist at the end. Still good movie that holds up great.

In later years, it becomes obvious that he’s found Las Vegas.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-05-03 (Friday)

<1659420590.736578722.342039.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=223946&group=rec.arts.tv#223946

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 5 May 2024 00:15:00 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 5 May 2024 07:15 UTC

Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
> I watched:
>
> ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS:

I bet!

> What did you watch?

Hey, thanks for asking!

BLUE BLOODS S14E08 “Wicked Games“

Wow, it’s like they’re trying to convince us that the racist guy did the
right thing by canceling the show.

Crazy Eddie brings a teenager into the station, tosses him into lock up,
and tell the desk sergeant she wants him charged with felony assault for
giving somebody else a black eye. The desk sergeant says it was just a
fight between two teenagers (he doesn’t know that, he doesn’t know anything
about it) and knocks the charges down. Crazy Eddie is not happy..

Jamie (unarmored) leads a bunch of armored cops on a daring daylight raid!
OMG they’ve colored a bunch of guys quietly playing cards in the basement!
One of the guys tells Jamie to let him go because he’s a confidential
informant. It turns out he’s also Anthony’s ex brother-in-law and Anthony
is trying to keep the whole thing secret from Erin. Jamie refuses. Anthony
is not happy.

Magnum notices that the new cop assigned to the mayors detail is Abigail‘s
husband. She asked Gormley to get him a special gig. Jesse Stone is not
happy.

Erin calls Danny into her office to tell him she let a serial killer go
because he snitched on somebody else. She had only put him away on witness
tampering despite them catching him literally red-handed with a bloody car
trunk and a trail of bloody blood leading into his bloody house where he
killed people, and tried to kill Baez and she almost killed him back. Since
the snitch information was “time sensitive“ Erin had to work fast and the
guys already been out on the street unmonitored all day before she bothers
to tell Danny. Danny is not happy. In fact, I don’t really understand why
Danny didn’t frag Erin where she sat.

Nighttime. Danny knocks on Baez door and hands her a bag from the squad she
didn’t need. She invites him in for “pasta“ nudge nudge, wink wink see no
more but he says no. She asks him why he’s carrying a fat file. He says
it’s something he needed to review. Nobody asks him why the hell he brought
it to her door.

The next morning, Danny is sitting in his car right in front of Baez front
door still on page one of the file. You can tell he’s alert because Baez
walks up with coffee and knocks on the window without him even noticing her
approach. He says he wanted to tell her last night, but she looked so happy
with her daughter that he decided to give her another night of happiness.
Too bad that we didn’t see the daughter when he came to the door. They
decide to go roust the guy without cause. Danny says Baez almost murdered
him last time and they agree that she should have.

Crazy Eddie complains to her captain about the desk sergeant. They agree
that the captain has signed off on the desk sergeant knocking down crazy
Eddie’s charges. Crazy Eddie asked if the captain will at least look at the
charges. Didn’t we just cover that? The captain tells Eddie to keep her
crazy mouth shut.

Jamie and Anthony interview Anthony’s ex brother-in-law who reluctantly
agrees to give them the location of average Joe, a crazed killer.

Danny and Baez visit the serial killer Sam Evans (yeah the guy from dark
shadows) at his mothers as he eats a neatly laid out breakfast of orange
juice, a large bowl of cereal, large enough that you can’t actually see the
cereal, a bottle of milk, and a box of cereal turned to the side, so you
can’t read the label. He makes veiled threats to them. They make open
threats to him. Hey, are you allowed to have long hair in prison? Even
though the narrative only has him being out for less than 24 hours he’s
already gone to his work program.

Baker sits at her laptop, wearing a Star Trek the next generation uniform.
Seriously. The blue very top with the black below and she even has a pin
where the communicator badge should go. Frank calls her in. It’s been a
whole day. How has he not seen her until now?
She’s really upset and really rude and completely out of line and tells
Magnum that she didn’t ask him directly because he wouldn’t have given her
husband the job.

Crazy Eddie follows her captain and desk sergeant out the back door and
catches them canoodling behind the building. She accuses the captain of
having the desk sergeant knock down charges to make it look like she’s
doing a better job stopping crime, which doesn’t make a whole lot of sense
because the captain is telling all the street cops to overcharge people.
The Captain tells crazy Eddie to drop the whole thing or, she’ll make up a
phony rip.

Jamie and Anthony roust toothless Tommy an associate of average Joe who
says average Joe set him up.

Frank confronts Garrett about Baker. Garrett says that Baker’s husband has
been doing so well with his anger management that he moved out on her
because she wouldn’t get him a promotion.

Jamie and Anthony find out that the meeting they busted up was a set up,
but they aren’t sure who set up whom; all they know is Anthony’s ex
brother-in-law has vanished. Now they must visit Anthony’s ex-wife!

Danny and Baez ruminate about the serial killer. Hey, how come his file has
an actor headshot in it instead of a mug shot? Suddenly, the phone rings!
It’s the killer’s mother! They’ll be right over!

But when they get there, they find the mother brutally murdered! Thanks,
Erin!

The crime scene investigators find what they think is a listening device
(they aren’t sure?). They figured the dark shadows guy heard his mother
call the cops and came back from his work program to kill her. Baez says
they should drop clues so that he will overhear them, and they could trap
him and kill him, like an Instacart delivery person slaughtering the family
dog.

Jamie and Anthony visit his ex-wife. Why does she live in a modest
apartment when he lives in that multimillion dollar place?

Magnum and Erin have dinner and a long pointless conversation.

Crazy Eddie rats out her captain to Jamie that she’s screwing the desk
sergeant and they’re conspiring to cook the books.

Danny sits outside Baez house in his car. A police surveillance van sits
nearby. The killer hasn’t shown up. Danny realizes they are at the wrong
house and races off without telling anybody where he’s going!

Danny enters his empty house and makes a point of putting his gun on a
table to entrap the dark shadows guy.
He’s there! And he brought a knife to a gunfight! Danny goads him into
attacking so that Baez can murder him! He charges! Danny goes for… I have
no idea what or why he didn’t have his back up piece in his pocket. Baez
explicitly appears and thanks to the miracle of film editing shoots the guy
with more rounds than her weapon holds, including some that just flash, but
make no noise and one that goes right between the eyes to make sure she has
murdered him good!

In the middle of the night, Jamie and Anthony drive around aimlessly
waiting to hear if anybody has spotted the car that somebody (I guess
average Joe who we’ve never seen) drives. An alert pings! They’re at the
bridge! Jamie and Anthony show up as Joe is making the ex brother-in-law
drag a cement block to the Waters edge. They tell Joe to surrender! Joe
pushes the ex brother-in-law to safety and opens fire! They riddle him with
bullets! But the ex brother-in-law is shot! Wait a minute the ex
brother-in-law was pushed to safety on the ground well to the side of Joe.
The only persons that could have shot him were Jamie and Anthony! And they
would’ve had to miss Joe by wide margin.

The captain confesses everything to crazy Eddie. They decide to let it all
slide this time.

Baez and Danny congratulate each other on the execution of Sam Evans. Tell
Danny next time don’t sit out in front of her house all night come in for
pasta and canoodling.

Baker enters magnum’s office wearing a dress that looks a lot like Kirks
dress uniform from Star Trek The motion picture. What the hell?
Magnum tells her that he killed the deal for her husband to work for the
mayor because the paranoid mayor decided he would be a mole in his office.
But Magnum has gotten him an even better special job working for the chief
of D’s. Baker almost comes to tears. Magnum tells her that her husband will
get the message via telephone at 24:00 Wait. That’s midnight. What the
hell? They decide to keep it a secret from him until then just to make the
poor guys life worse.

Anthony and Jamie visit the ex brother-in-law in the hospital. He’ll be
fine and nobody is asking which of the cops shot him.

And now what you’ve all been waiting for: family dinner night!

There’s a bunch of crap about what movie to go to just to give Henry
something to talk about.

Next week: cousin Joe returns and gets in a street fight with Jamie!

> --
> Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-05-03 (Friday)

<1116665836.736590635.895267.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=223950&group=rec.arts.tv#223950

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 5 May 2024 01:47:40 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 5 May 2024 08:47 UTC

anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>> I watched:
>>
>> ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS:
>
> I bet!
>

>> What did you watch?
>
> Hey, thanks for asking!

Also.

The Plex offered a list of 50 best submarine movies. There are only 49
entries on it though. :-) Some of which are great choices, some of which
I’ve never heard of and some of which are downright dogs. Specifically,
“the forbidden room“ which I nominate for “worst movie ever made“

I finally saw “the atomic submarine“ which is kind of goofy, but not in a
good way, but it does definitely form the basis for a couple different
voyage to the bottom of the sea episodes.

Also, the Plex had GODZILLA MINUS 1

The subtitles on Godzilla minus one are about five seconds ahead. So when
the subtitles say.
Bad.
Bad.
Bad
Bad
Bad!
You know something bad is about to happen

The special effects are beautiful to look at, although as usual, nobody
understands physics

I was unhappy that boats and ships start and stop instantly like
automobiles.
And that giant explosions a short distance away from them doesn’t cause
them problems from waves. It was seriously liked they blocked out the
action with shopping carts in the parking lot.

And they keep saying jet planes, but you know propellers

Godzilla swims like an alligator which is really really cool but then he’ll
stop and stand up waist deep as called for. But later in the movie we find
out that he’s not standing on the bottom he can just float like that.

And I’m still puzzled by the scene where the subtitles call for them to
push the levitation button

I did find a lot of the production design charming, where it both looks
real and like a toy at the same time. They split a fine line there, and did
it very well.

Honestly, I think I’d wait for a better version to surface

>> --
>> Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-05-03 (Friday)

<v187o9$1toog$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=223967&group=rec.arts.tv#223967

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 5 May 2024 08:14:17 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sun, 5 May 2024 15:14 UTC

On 5/5/24 1:47 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:

> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>>> I watched:
>>>
>>> ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS:
>>
>> I bet!
>>

>>> What did you watch?
>>
>> Hey, thanks for asking!
>
> Also.
>
> The Plex offered a list of 50 best submarine movies. There are only 49
> entries on it though. :-) Some of which are great choices, some of which
> I’ve never heard of and some of which are downright dogs. Specifically,
> “the forbidden room“ which I nominate for “worst movie ever made“

There are multiple movies with that title. Are you talking about 2015
film? (Hey! It's stars Roy Dupuis from "La Femme Nikita"!!)

YAMID:submarines, was: What Did You Watch? 2024-05-03 (Friday)

<v188q4$koj$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=223970&group=rec.arts.tv#223970

From: dan...@panix.com (danny burstein)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: YAMID:submarines, was: What Did You Watch? 2024-05-03 (Friday)
Date: Sun, 5 May 2024 15:32:21 -0000 (UTC)
 by: danny burstein - Sun, 5 May 2024 15:32 UTC

[snippeth]

>> The Plex offered a list of 50 best submarine movies. There are only 49
>> entries on it though. :-) Some of which are great choices, some of which
>> I've never heard of and some of which are downright dogs. Specifically,
>> "the forbidden room" which I nominate for "worst movie ever made"

if you bump into the following scene and... can kick me
the title...

A submarine movie I watched decades ago, and it was
already decades old...

Black and white... afraid I don't remember the rest, but
the key was they were stuck on the bottom and runnuning
out of breathable air.

They have a dog who... they pick up off the floor and
hold in their lap/place on a table(?) telling him
the air is better up there...

And, eventually they get rescued via people on the surface
lowering a cylinder about the size of a telephone booth
(anyone remember those???) which connects to an escape
hatch, and one by one they make the trip up.

So if you catch this, please let me know.

Thanks

dannyb@panix.com

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-05-03 (Friday)

<1198876596.736621655.519613.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=223978&group=rec.arts.tv#223978

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 5 May 2024 10:17:23 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 5 May 2024 17:17 UTC

Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
> On 5/5/24 1:47 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>
>> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

>>> I bet!

>>> Hey, thanks for asking!
>>
>> Also.
>>
>> The Plex offered a list of 50 best submarine movies. There are only 49
>> entries on it though. :-) Some of which are great choices, some of which
>> I’ve never heard of and some of which are downright dogs. Specifically,
>> “the forbidden room“ which I nominate for “worst movie ever made“
>
> There are multiple movies with that title. Are you talking about 2015
> film? (Hey! It's stars Roy Dupuis from "La Femme Nikita"!!)

Yes

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3066630/?ref_=ext_shr_lnk

Re: YAMID:submarines, was: What Did You Watch? 2024-05-03 (Friday)

<1827372818.736622121.218937.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=223980&group=rec.arts.tv#223980

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 5 May 2024 10:17:23 -0700

danny burstein <dannyb@panix.com> wrote:
> [snippeth]
>
>>> The Plex offered a list of 50 best submarine movies. There are only 49
>>> entries on it though. :-) Some of which are great choices, some of which
>>> I've never heard of and some of which are downright dogs. Specifically,
>>> "the forbidden room" which I nominate for "worst movie ever made"
>
> if you bump into the following scene and... can kick me
> the title...
>
> A submarine movie I watched decades ago, and it was
> already decades old...
>
> Black and white... afraid I don't remember the rest, but
> the key was they were stuck on the bottom and runnuning
> out of breathable air.
>
> They have a dog who... they pick up off the floor and
> hold in their lap/place on a table(?) telling him
> the air is better up there...
>
> And, eventually they get rescued via people on the surface
> lowering a cylinder about the size of a telephone booth
> (anyone remember those???) which connects to an escape
> hatch, and one by one they make the trip up.
>
> So if you catch this, please let me know.
>
> Thanks

I’ll keep an eye out. Right off hand they only move. I can think of with a
dog on a submarine is CRIMSON TIDE but that’s in color.

Meanwhile, here’s the full list from Plex

Das boot
The hunt for red October
Run silent run deep.
The enemy below
K 19
Crimson Tide.
Destination Tokyo.
The wolf’s call
Down periscope
U-571
Hunter killer
Torpedo run
Greyhound
Operation Pacific
Ice station zebra
operation petticoat
20,000 leagues under the sea.
Up periscope
Gray Lady down.
The command
the Bedford incident.
The abyss.
We dive at Dawn.
Black Sea.
Crash dive
submarine command.
Voyage to the bottom of the sea
On the beach
Murphy’s war
Above us the waves.
The Hundley
Hell and High water
Hellcats of the Navy.
The Russians are coming the Russians are coming
gung ho the story of Carlson‘s Macon Island Raiders
in enemy hands
underwater.
Crash dive.
The atomic submarine
The world is not enough.
Below
The spy who loved me
Hostile Waters
Phantom.
Civilization.
The league of extraordinary gentleman
The life aquatic with Steve Zizzo.
The forbidden room.
Battle under Orion

Re: YAMID:submarines, was: What Did You Watch? 2024-05-03 (Friday)

<v18g5g$g98$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=223985&group=rec.arts.tv#223985

From: dan...@panix.com (danny burstein)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 5 May 2024 17:37:52 -0000 (UTC)
 by: danny burstein - Sun, 5 May 2024 17:37 UTC

[snip]

I've seen, at least from the titles... about half
of them. Probably more.

Note: While they list the VTTBOTS movie, the series
did have one superb submarine oriented episode.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0742288/plotsummary/

dannyb@panix.com

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-05-03 (Friday)

<v18gar$1visb$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=223986&group=rec.arts.tv#223986

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 5 May 2024 10:40:45 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sun, 5 May 2024 17:40 UTC

On 5/5/2024 1:47 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>>> I watched:
>>>
>>> ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS:
>>
>> I bet!
>>

>>> What did you watch?
>>
>> Hey, thanks for asking!
>
> Also.
>
> The Plex offered a list of 50 best submarine movies. There are only 49
> entries on it though. :-) Some of which are great choices, some of which
> I’ve never heard of and some of which are downright dogs. Specifically,
> “the forbidden room“ which I nominate for “worst movie ever made“

An infinitely long list to add to. :)

> I finally saw “the atomic submarine“ which is kind of goofy, but not in a
> good way, but it does definitely form the basis for a couple different
> voyage to the bottom of the sea episodes.
>
> Also, the Plex had GODZILLA MINUS 1
>
> The subtitles on Godzilla minus one are about five seconds ahead. So when
> the subtitles say.
> Bad.
> Bad.
> Bad
> Bad
> Bad!
> You know something bad is about to happen
>
> The special effects are beautiful to look at, although as usual, nobody
> understands physics
>
> I was unhappy that boats and ships start and stop instantly like
> automobiles.
> And that giant explosions a short distance away from them doesn’t cause
> them problems from waves. It was seriously liked they blocked out the
> action with shopping carts in the parking lot.
>
> And they keep saying jet planes, but you know propellers
>
> Godzilla swims like an alligator which is really really cool but then he’ll
> stop and stand up waist deep as called for. But later in the movie we find
> out that he’s not standing on the bottom he can just float like that.
>
> And I’m still puzzled by the scene where the subtitles call for them to
> push the levitation button
>
> I did find a lot of the production design charming, where it both looks
> real and like a toy at the same time. They split a fine line there, and did
> it very well.
>
> Honestly, I think I’d wait for a better version to surface

I saw that in theatres back when. I thought it was a great homage to
the original "Man in a rubber suit" Godzilla while also being a good story.

dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-05-03 (Friday)

<U16c48$1e8kn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=224025&group=rec.arts.tv#224025

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Date: Sun, 05 May 2024 22:56:41 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Mon, 6 May 2024 02:56 UTC

In article <v16c48$1e8kn$1@dont-email.me>, arthur@alum.calberkeley.org wrote:
> On 5/4/24 1:30 AM, Ubiquitous wrote:

>> What did you watch?
>
>I watched:
>
>Planet of the Apes (blu-ray) 1968 movie starring Charlton Heston as an
>astronaut who programs his ship's computer to return him to Earth before
>going into hibernation. He then returns to Earth looks up at the sky
>and announces he has no idea what planet he's on. You know with the
>distinctive moon, big dipper, and all the other constellations he can
>see by looking up at night.

I forget now, but wasn't he far enough in the future that our modern
constellations would be distorted?

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: YAMID:submarines, was: What Did You Watch? 2024-05-03 (Friday)

<1940453348.736662824.196115.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=224033&group=rec.arts.tv#224033

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 5 May 2024 21:41:27 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 6 May 2024 04:41 UTC

danny burstein <dannyb@panix.com> wrote:
> [snip]
>
> I've seen, at least from the titles... about half
> of them. Probably more.
>
> Note: While they list the VTTBOTS movie, the series
> did have one superb submarine oriented episode.
>
> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0742288/plotsummary/

Yep.

That really should’ve been the last episode of season one and then have
season two start a couple years later after the refit…

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-05-03 (Friday)

<1512756494.736663248.145779.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=224034&group=rec.arts.tv#224034

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 5 May 2024 21:41:28 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 6 May 2024 04:41 UTC

Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
> In article <v16c48$1e8kn$1@dont-email.me>, arthur@alum.calberkeley.org wrote:
>> On 5/4/24 1:30 AM, Ubiquitous wrote:
>
>>> What did you watch?
>>
>> I watched:
>>
>> Planet of the Apes (blu-ray) 1968 movie starring Charlton Heston as an
>> astronaut who programs his ship's computer to return him to Earth before
>> going into hibernation. He then returns to Earth looks up at the sky
>> and announces he has no idea what planet he's on. You know with the
>> distinctive moon, big dipper, and all the other constellations he can
>> see by looking up at night.
>
> I forget now, but wasn't he far enough in the future that our modern
> constellations would be distorted?

No.

> --
> Let's go Brandon!

Re: YAMID:submarines, was: What Did You Watch? 2024-05-03 (Friday)

<v1ca7t$sbk$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=224121&group=rec.arts.tv#224121

From: dan...@panix.com (danny burstein)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 7 May 2024 04:21:17 -0000 (UTC)
 by: danny burstein - Tue, 7 May 2024 04:21 UTC

In <1940453348.736662824.196115.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> writes:

>> Note: While they list the VTTBOTS movie, the series
>> did have one superb submarine oriented episode.
>>
>> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0742288/plotsummary/

>Yep.

>That really should've been the last episode of season one and then have
>season two start a couple years later after the refit

If only we were the script writers...

(And we'd definitely have figured out a way
to bring Barbara Eden back!)

>--
>The last thing I want to do is hurt you, but it is still on my list.
dannyb@panix.com

Re: YAMID:submarines, was: What Did You Watch? 2024-05-03 (Friday)

<2009440127.736757714.873106.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=224124&group=rec.arts.tv#224124

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 7 May 2024 00:15:46 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Tue, 7 May 2024 07:15 UTC

danny burstein <dannyb@panix.com> wrote:
> In <1940453348.736662824.196115.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> writes:
>
>>> Note: While they list the VTTBOTS movie, the series
>>> did have one superb submarine oriented episode.
>>>
>>> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0742288/plotsummary/
>
>> Yep.
>
>> That really should've been the last episode of season one and then have
>> season two start a couple years later after the refit
>
> If only we were the script writers...
>
> (And we'd definitely have figured out a way
> to bring Barbara Eden back!)

And a lot of Nelson’s hot receptionists back at the Institute.