Anyone stupid enough to be caught by the police is probably guilty.

arts / alt.arts.poetry.comments / Re: Ban Barfield's excellent books & art

SubjectAuthor
* Ban Barfield's excellent books & artGeneral-Zod
+- Re: Ban Barfield's excellent books & artWill Donkey
+* Re: Dan Barfield's excellent books & artWill Dockery
|+* Re: Dan Barfield's excellent books & artWill Donkey
||+* Re: Dan Barfield's excellent books & artWill Dockery
|||`- Re: Dan Barfield's excellent books & artGeneral-Zod
||`* Re: Dan Barfield's excellent books & artNancyGene
|| `* Re: Dan Barfield's excellent books & artWill Dockery
||  `* Re: Dan Barfield's excellent books & artMichael Pendragon
||   `* Re: Dan Barfield's excellent books & artNancyGene
||    `* Re: Dan Barfield's excellent books & artMichael Pendragon
||     `- Re: Dan Barfield's excellent books & artNancyGene
|+* Re: Dan Barfield's excellent books & artFaraway Star
||+- Re: Dan Barfield's excellent books & artMichael Pendragon
||`* Re: Dan Barfield's excellent books & artWill Dockery
|| `* Re: Dan Barfield's excellent books & artFaraway Star
||  `* Re: Dan Barfield's excellent books & artWill Dockery
||   +- Re: Dan Barfield's excellent books & artFaraway Star
||   +- Re: Dan Barfield's excellent books & artWill Dockery
||   +- Re: Dan Barfield's excellent books & artWill Dockery
||   `- Re: Dan Barfield's excellent books & artFaraway Star
|`- Re: Dan Barfield's excellent books & artFaraway Star
+- Re: Barfield's excellent books & artW.Dockery
`- Re: Ban Barfield's excellent books & artW.Dockery

1
Ban Barfield's excellent books & art

<2b08b124eb299dffbe0e3d6012dd4cb8@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=228273&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#228273

Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 19:38:18 +0000
Subject: Ban Barfield's excellent books & art
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: General-Zod - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 19:38 UTC

Excellent books by Dan Barfield, since the interest is now on the group...

***********

https://www.amazon.com/Reaching-Golden-Ring-M-D-Barfield/dp/B08HGZKCP3

Reaching for the Golden Ring --- by M.D. Barfield

“We’re all on some insane merry-go-round, reaching for the golden ring. Grab it when you can. ”The year is nineteen sixty-seven in a west Georgia mill and military town. The country is being torn apart by race riots and antiwar demonstrations. The specter of being drafted is a dark shadow on every one’s life. Can two people, a twenty-four-year-old teacher, and a seventeen-year-old former student, build something good and beautiful from the chaos? Will they be strong enough to hold on to it through the brutality of a year in Vietnam and the guilt of a backwoods southern religion?

https://www.amazon.com/Crossing-Fences-M-D-Barfield/dp/1701375362

Crossing Fences -- by M.D. Barfield
All his life Billy has been groomed to follow his father's family tradition of joining the prestigious Atlanta law firm established by his grandfather. This is not the life he wants, but he has never been strong enough to defy family tradition. Now he is caught between two worlds, the moneyed world of Atlanta and the 'New South,' and the more traditional world of Savannah and the Low Country. As we move through the story, we meet Molly, a teenage temptress. Cindy, who has been emotionally and sexually abused. Cap Green, Billy's maternal grandfather who is a section foreman on the Atlantic Coast Line railroad. His grandmother, who is wise in the ways of herbal healing. Aaron, Billy's best friend from childhood who has just been accepted to medical school and proves in a red neck bar fight that no one calls him a dirty Jew. Sam Crammer, Molly's father who has always adored his daughter and swears the one who has “put the devil in her.” Mary Agnes, Molly’s mother, who sends the devil straight to hell with a double- barreled shotgun. Johnny Raintree, who makes whiskey, and lives with an everchanging parade of young girls he calls cousins. Linda, the Atlanta girl from the 'right' family Billy is expected to marry. Philip, who if ever a man needed killing, he does. The culture, mores, and ethics of the “new south” contrasted to those of Savannah and the Low Country, a touch of voodoo, and a little of the Gullah culture.

https://www.amazon.com/Desperation-Tango-Sunrise-M-D-Barfield/dp/1705815154

Desperation Tango: The Cruise of the Sunrise -- by M.D. Barfield
Desperate times call for desperate measures. Farm raised shrimp from Asia have driven the prices of wild caught shrimp down. Three bad winters followed by hot and dry summers have decimated the wild population. Now the Department of Natural Resources has closed the season to give the wild population time to recover. For the last three years Jack has gotten by on a meager catch and savings, but now the savings are gone. When his friend and fellow shrimper, captain Barns, suggest that they go to the southern Caribbean and work the international waters off Venezuela, he turns him down. “To many crazy people with guns, and no law. Between the Cubans, the drug runners, and plain old pirates out of Jamaica and Haiti that place is a war zone.” Now, faced with losing everything he and his wife have built, and unable to support his family, he agrees. This begins a voyage into hell that is sold as paradise in the tourist brochures and cruise ship advertisements. As they move further south Jack realizes that one misstep and you lose everything. A man will do anything necessary to protect and support his family and way of life, even murder.

*********

Paintings by Dan Barfield:

http://web.archive.org/web/20010504013512/http://www.geocities.com:80/SoHo/Bistro/3372/gallery.html

Enjoy..!

Re: Ban Barfield's excellent books & art

<56275692-721f-482c-8713-6e6373c7a8ccn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=228379&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#228379

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 21:40:54 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Ban Barfield's excellent books & art
From: willdonk...@gmail.com (Will Donkey)
 by: Will Donkey - Sat, 19 Aug 2023 04:40 UTC

On Friday, August 18, 2023 at 3:40:28 PM UTC-4, General-Zod wrote:
> [...]
> Desperate times call for desperate measures. Farm raised shrimp from Asia have driven the prices of wild caught shrimp down. Three bad winters followed by hot and dry summers have decimated the wild population. Now the Department of Natural Resources has closed the season to give the wild population time to recover. For the last three years Jack has gotten by on a meager catch and savings, but now the savings are gone. When his friend and fellow shrimper, captain Barns, suggest that they go to the southern Caribbean and work the international waters off Venezuela, he turns him down. “To many crazy people with guns, and no law. Between the Cubans, the drug runners, and plain old pirates out of Jamaica and Haiti that place is a war zone.” Now, faced with losing everything he and his wife have built, and unable to support his family, he agrees. This begins a voyage into hell that is sold as paradise in the tourist brochures and cruise ship advertisements. As they move further south Jack realizes that one misstep and you lose everything. A man will do anything necessary to protect and support his family and way of life, even murder.

Word is ol' Dan's got quite the bood!

Hee-Haw!

Re: Dan Barfield's excellent books & art

<f6712120-b6eb-4376-bf01-8056a496affbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=228382&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#228382

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 22:09:47 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Dan Barfield's excellent books & art
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (Will Dockery)
 by: Will Dockery - Sat, 19 Aug 2023 05:09 UTC

> [...]
> Desperate times call for desperate measures. Farm raised shrimp from Asia have driven the prices of wild caught shrimp down. Three bad winters followed by hot and dry summers have decimated the wild population. Now the Department of Natural Resources has closed the season to give the wild population time to recover. For the last three years Jack has gotten by on a meager catch and savings, but now the savings are gone. When his friend and fellow shrimper, captain Barns, suggest that they go to the southern Caribbean and work the international waters off Venezuela, he turns him down. “To many crazy people with guns, and no law. Between the Cubans, the drug runners, and plain old pirates out of Jamaica and Haiti that place is a war zone.” Now, faced with losing everything he and his wife have built, and unable to support his family, he agrees. This begins a voyage into hell that is sold as paradise in the tourist brochures and cruise ship advertisements. As they move further south Jack realizes that one misstep and you lose everything. A man will do anything necessary to protect and support his family and way of life, even murder.

Again, good find.

🙂

Re: Dan Barfield's excellent books & art

<19ebd1cb-e430-4e27-b046-5cd3cca1d173n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=228393&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#228393

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 23:12:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: willdonk...@gmail.com (Will Donkey)
 by: Will Donkey - Sat, 19 Aug 2023 06:12 UTC

On Saturday, August 19, 2023 at 1:09:50 AM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
> [...]
> > Desperate times call for desperate measures. Farm raised shrimp from Asia have driven the prices of wild caught shrimp down. Three bad winters followed by hot and dry summers have decimated the wild population. Now the Department of Natural Resources has closed the season to give the wild population time to recover. For the last three years Jack has gotten by on a meager catch and savings, but now the savings are gone. When his friend and fellow shrimper, captain Barns, suggest that they go to the southern Caribbean and work the international waters off Venezuela, he turns him down. “To many crazy people with guns, and no law. Between the Cubans, the drug runners, and plain old pirates out of Jamaica and Haiti that place is a war zone.” Now, faced with losing everything he and his wife have built, and unable to support his family, he agrees. This begins a voyage into hell that is sold as paradise in the tourist brochures and cruise ship advertisements. As they move further south Jack realizes that one misstep and you lose everything. A man will do anything necessary to protect and support his family and way of life, even murder.

Yuh means "bood" find, dontcha?

Re: Dan Barfield's excellent books & art

<9c5156fa-6cdb-4392-a6ed-6af0cb1756c7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=228400&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#228400

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2023 01:52:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (Will Dockery)
 by: Will Dockery - Sat, 19 Aug 2023 08:52 UTC

On Saturday, August 19, 2023 at 2:12:20 AM UTC-4, Will Donkey wrote:
> [...]
> > > Desperate times call for desperate measures. Farm raised shrimp from Asia have driven the prices of wild caught shrimp down. Three bad winters followed by hot and dry summers have decimated the wild population. Now the Department of Natural Resources has closed the season to give the wild population time to recover. For the last three years Jack has gotten by on a meager catch and savings, but now the savings are gone. When his friend and fellow shrimper, captain Barns, suggest that they go to the southern Caribbean and work the international waters off Venezuela, he turns him down. “To many crazy people with guns, and no law. Between the Cubans, the drug runners, and plain old pirates out of Jamaica and Haiti that place is a war zone.” Now, faced with losing everything he and his wife have built, and unable to support his family, he agrees. This begins a voyage into hell that is sold as paradise in the tourist brochures and cruise ship advertisements. As they move further south Jack realizes that one misstep and you lose everything. A man will do anything necessary to protect and support his family and way of life, even murder.

How about a "yeaf," Pendragon?

🙂

Re: Dan Barfield's excellent books & art

<b45d7463-a16f-47a5-860a-8e2c4af32e80n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=228403&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#228403

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2023 07:38:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: nancygen...@gmail.com (NancyGene)
 by: NancyGene - Sat, 19 Aug 2023 14:38 UTC

On Saturday, August 19, 2023 at 6:12:20 AM UTC, Will Donkey wrote:
> [...]
> > > Desperate times call for desperate measures. Farm raised shrimp from Asia have driven the prices of wild caught shrimp down. Three bad winters followed by hot and dry summers have decimated the wild population. Now the Department of Natural Resources has closed the season to give the wild population time to recover. For the last three years Jack has gotten by on a meager catch and savings, but now the savings are gone. When his friend and fellow shrimper, captain Barns, suggest that they go to the southern Caribbean and work the international waters off Venezuela, he turns him down. “To many crazy people with guns, and no law. Between the Cubans, the drug runners, and plain old pirates out of Jamaica and Haiti that place is a war zone.” Now, faced with losing everything he and his wife have built, and unable to support his family, he agrees. This begins a voyage into hell that is sold as paradise in the tourist brochures and cruise ship advertisements. As they move further south Jack realizes that one misstep and you lose everything. A man will do anything necessary to protect and support his family and way of life, even murder.

Barfly is untalented in many media.

Re: Dan Barfield's excellent books & art

<edc2ac1d-b2da-4885-af1a-f1d79fdbd7den@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=228404&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#228404

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2023 07:57:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (Will Dockery)
 by: Will Dockery - Sat, 19 Aug 2023 14:57 UTC

On Saturday, August 19, 2023 at 10:38:58 AM UTC-4, NancyGene wrote:
> On Saturday, August 19, 2023 at 6:12:20 AM UTC, Will Donkey wrote:

> > > Again, good find.
>
> Barfly is untalented

Look who's talking.

🙂

Re: Dan Barfield's excellent books & art

<73974739-6de4-40bf-8fde-4a4b613472c3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=228410&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#228410

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2023 08:50:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: michaelm...@gmail.com (Michael Pendragon)
 by: Michael Pendragon - Sat, 19 Aug 2023 15:50 UTC

On Saturday, August 19, 2023 at 10:58:00 AM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
> On Saturday, August 19, 2023 at 10:38:58 AM UTC-4, NancyGene wrote:

> > Barfly is untalented
>
> Look who's talking.

Yes, look who's talking. NancyGene is an extremely talented poet.

Dan Barfield writes like a 5th rate Hemingway, and Hemingway was a lousy writer to begin with.

Your writing (and reading) skills, otoh, are so piss-poor that you think anyone who can compose three consecutive sentences is a genius (and compared to you, they are).

Re: Dan Barfield's excellent books & art

<19dc4169-b3ac-4c98-b49e-3993451e5359n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=228432&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#228432

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2023 10:12:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: nancygen...@gmail.com (NancyGene)
 by: NancyGene - Sat, 19 Aug 2023 17:12 UTC

On Saturday, August 19, 2023 at 3:50:18 PM UTC, Michael Pendragon wrote:
> On Saturday, August 19, 2023 at 10:58:00 AM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:

> > > Barfly is untalented
> >
> > Look who's talking.
> Yes, look who's talking. NancyGene is an extremely talented poet.
>
> Dan Barfield writes like a 5th rate Hemingway, and Hemingway was a lousy writer to begin with.
>
> Your writing (and reading) skills, otoh, are so piss-poor that you think anyone who can compose three consecutive sentences is a genius (and compared to you, they are).

George Sulzbach can't even copy and paste correctly. We assume that he didn't mean that Barfly's books and art should be "banned," but that's what he wrote for the title of this post. They should be banned on the basis of his not having any writing talent (or art talent).

"Ban Barfield's excellent books & art."

Re: Dan Barfield's excellent books & art

<425f4dd5-7a6b-4aa4-b599-d92cdcdd8b26n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=228437&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#228437

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2023 11:36:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: michaelm...@gmail.com (Michael Pendragon)
 by: Michael Pendragon - Sat, 19 Aug 2023 18:36 UTC

On Saturday, August 19, 2023 at 1:12:25 PM UTC-4, NancyGene wrote:
> On Saturday, August 19, 2023 at 3:50:18 PM UTC, Michael Pendragon wrote:

> > > Look who's talking.
> > Yes, look who's talking. NancyGene is an extremely talented poet.
> >
> > Dan Barfield writes like a 5th rate Hemingway, and Hemingway was a lousy writer to begin with.
> >
> > Your writing (and reading) skills, otoh, are so piss-poor that you think anyone who can compose three consecutive sentences is a genius (and compared to you, they are).
> George Sulzbach can't even copy and paste correctly. We assume that he didn't mean that Barfly's books and art should be "banned," but that's what he wrote for the title of this post. They should be banned on the basis of his not having any writing talent (or art talent).
>
> "Ban Barfield's excellent books & art."

ROTF!!! I can't believe I missed that one!

Re: Dan Barfield's excellent books & art

<0c2d239d-106e-4d5a-bc65-5e93282d89e6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=228438&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#228438

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2023 12:09:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: nancygen...@gmail.com (NancyGene)
 by: NancyGene - Sat, 19 Aug 2023 19:09 UTC

On Saturday, August 19, 2023 at 6:36:34 PM UTC, Michael Pendragon wrote:
> On Saturday, August 19, 2023 at 1:12:25 PM UTC-4, NancyGene wrote:

> > > Yes, look who's talking. NancyGene is an extremely talented poet.
> > >
> > > Dan Barfield writes like a 5th rate Hemingway, and Hemingway was a lousy writer to begin with.
> > >
> > > Your writing (and reading) skills, otoh, are so piss-poor that you think anyone who can compose three consecutive sentences is a genius (and compared to you, they are).
> > George Sulzbach can't even copy and paste correctly. We assume that he didn't mean that Barfly's books and art should be "banned," but that's what he wrote for the title of this post. They should be banned on the basis of his not having any writing talent (or art talent).
> >
> > "Ban Barfield's excellent books & art."
> ROTF!!! I can't believe I missed that one!
Ban "Roll-On" Barfly deodorant is not effective on Donkeys but does attract fish.

Re: Dan Barfield's excellent books & art

<eebcd1e1-e2d6-4f2c-8ae4-06f83104c788n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=228456&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#228456

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2023 13:55:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: vhugo...@gmail.com (Faraway Star)
 by: Faraway Star - Sat, 19 Aug 2023 20:55 UTC

> [...]
> > Desperate times call for desperate measures. Farm raised shrimp from Asia have driven the prices of wild caught shrimp down. Three bad winters followed by hot and dry summers have decimated the wild population. Now the Department of Natural Resources has closed the season to give the wild population time to recover. For the last three years Jack has gotten by on a meager catch and savings, but now the savings are gone. When his friend and fellow shrimper, captain Barns, suggest that they go to the southern Caribbean and work the international waters off Venezuela, he turns him down. “To many crazy people with guns, and no law. Between the Cubans, the drug runners, and plain old pirates out of Jamaica and Haiti that place is a war zone.” Now, faced with losing everything he and his wife have built, and unable to support his family, he agrees. This begins a voyage into hell that is sold as paradise in the tourist brochures and cruise ship advertisements. As they move further south Jack realizes that one misstep and you lose everything. A man will do anything necessary to protect and support his family and way of life, even murder.

Ironic, that although Barfield's books are often set in Florida, the current Republican government there would probably ban his books...

Re: Dan Barfield's excellent books & art

<b35e0284-eaca-4582-be37-596dd2291cfen@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=228488&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#228488

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2023 16:36:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: michaelm...@gmail.com (Michael Pendragon)
 by: Michael Pendragon - Sat, 19 Aug 2023 23:36 UTC

On Saturday, August 19, 2023 at 4:55:38 PM UTC-4, Faraway Star wrote:
> [...]
> > >
> > > *********
> > >
> > > Paintings by Dan Barfield:
> > >
> > > http://web.archive.org/web/20010504013512/http://www.geocities.com:80/SoHo/Bistro/3372/gallery.html
> > >
> > > Enjoy..!
> > Again, good find.
> Ironic, that although Barfield's books are often set in Florida, the current Republican government there would probably ban his books...

ROTFLMAO! Nobody would ever ban his books, because nobody has any idea that he exists.

Re: Dan Barfield's excellent books & art

<2b36e399-aae7-4712-920b-ebc9a78e11a2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=228516&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#228516

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2023 02:56:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (Will Dockery)
 by: Will Dockery - Sun, 20 Aug 2023 09:56 UTC

> [...]
> > >
> > > *********
> > >
> > > Paintings by Dan Barfield:
> > >
> > > http://web.archive.org/web/20010504013512/http://www.geocities.com:80/SoHo/Bistro/3372/gallery.html
> > >
> > > Enjoy..!
> > Again, good find.
> Ironic, that although Barfield's books are often set in Florida, the current Republican government there would probably ban his books...

Hilarious

🙂

Re: Dan Barfield's excellent books & art

<92917bfc-a2a9-49b6-bcb5-d26267569490n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=228585&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#228585

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2023 12:20:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: vhugo...@gmail.com (Faraway Star)
 by: Faraway Star - Sun, 20 Aug 2023 19:20 UTC

On Sunday, August 20, 2023 at 5:56:46 AM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
> On Saturday, August 19, 2023 at 4:55:38 PM UTC-4, Faraway Star wrote:

> > > Again, good find.
> > Ironic, that although Barfield's books are often set in Florida, the current Republican government there would probably ban his books...
> Hilarious

I know, right..?

Re: Dan Barfield's excellent books & art

<c066a6c7-fab1-40a0-aac9-7e9205e94528n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=228681&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#228681

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2023 07:40:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (Will Dockery)
 by: Will Dockery - Mon, 21 Aug 2023 14:40 UTC

On Sunday, August 20, 2023 at 3:20:41 PM UTC-4, Faraway Star wrote:
> On Sunday, August 20, 2023 at 5:56:46 AM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:

> > > Ironic, that although Barfield's books are often set in Florida, the current Republican government there would probably ban his books...
> > Hilarious
> I know, right..?

Amanda Gorman's poetry was banned in Florida, to give one example.

Re: Dan Barfield's excellent books & art

<5a919f0a-46cc-49b5-a51b-b73ad4b32835n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=228706&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#228706

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2023 11:16:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: vhugo...@gmail.com (Faraway Star)
 by: Faraway Star - Mon, 21 Aug 2023 18:16 UTC

On Monday, August 21, 2023 at 10:40:29 AM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:

> > > Hilarious
> > I know, right..?
> Amanda Gorman's poetry was banned in Florida, to give one example.

She's great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWrsEtqPFNw

Re: Dan Barfield's excellent books & art

<23119604-1a10-43c1-8f40-55d4d488c970n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=228807&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#228807

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2023 22:42:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (Will Dockery)
 by: Will Dockery - Tue, 22 Aug 2023 05:42 UTC

On Tuesday, August 22, 2023 at 1:21:18 AM UTC-4, Conley Brothers wrote:
> On Monday, August 21, 2023 at 10:40:29 AM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:

> > > I know, right..?
> > Amanda Gorman's poetry was banned in Florida, to give one example.
> Your example is a lie. Provide proof that the Florida Government banned her poetry

If it was just a rumor that's good, since I don't like to think Florida has gone so far downhill.

Re: Dan Barfield's excellent books & art

<9a1b34d0-56c8-45dc-a9e0-7c2db729f878n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=228809&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#228809

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2023 22:49:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (Will Dockery)
 by: Will Dockery - Tue, 22 Aug 2023 05:49 UTC

On Monday, August 21, 2023 at 10:40:29 AM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
> On Sunday, August 20, 2023 at 3:20:41 PM UTC-4, Faraway Star wrote:

> > > Hilarious
> > I know, right..?
> Amanda Gorman's poetry was banned in Florida, to give one example.

The full story on that:

***
https://groups.google.com/g/alt.arts.poetry.comments/c/5vghm8Gj7kk/m/GUTN_wghAQAJ

On Wednesday, May 24, 2023 at 6:27:47 PM UTC-4, Ash Wurthing wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 24, 2023 at 5:53:51 PM UTC-4, Jordy C wrote:
>
> > https://contentmanager.med.uvm.edu/docs/the_hill_we_climb/vccyf-documents/the_hill_we_climb.pdf?sfvrsn=44a3335_2
>
> BANNED IN A SCHOOL IN FLORIDA!!!
> and soon elsewhere in the Red States...
>
> "A school book ban is any action taken against a book that leaves access to a book restricted or diminished. This decision of moving my book from its original place, taken after one parent complained, diminishes the access elementary schoolers would have previously had to my poem.…"
> ~~Amanda Gorman https://twitter.com/TheAmandaGorman
>
> Perhaps poem reader, you should support her on social media...
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Okay, this was what I was referring to ^^^^^^^^^

https://groups.google.com/g/alt.arts.poetry.comments/c/5vghm8Gj7kk/m/GUTN_wghAQAJ

***

Re: Dan Barfield's excellent books & art

<5e564217-4f8d-4592-b94e-f131d90cfe17n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=228856&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#228856

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2023 07:30:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: vhugo...@gmail.com (Faraway Star)
 by: Faraway Star - Tue, 22 Aug 2023 14:30 UTC

On Monday, August 21, 2023 at 10:40:29 AM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:

> Amanda Gorman's poetry was banned in Florida, to give one example.

As I am reading, the book was not actually "banned":

https://www.factcheck.org/2023/06/a-florida-school-restricted-access-to-amanda-gormans-poem-but-didnt-ban-it/

******************************************* A Florida School Restricted Access to Amanda Gorman’s Poem, But Didn’t ‘Ban’ It
******************************** Following a parent’s complaint, one K-8 school in Florida restricted access to a poem by Amanda Gorman that she had read at the 2021 presidential inauguration. The school moved the book in its library to a shelf for upper-grade students only. But social media posts falsely claimed Miami-Dade County had “banned” the book in all its elementary schools ************************

Re: Dan Barfield's excellent books & art

<fa431e6c13ea1931af0c3f4ba9707c36@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=229507&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#229507

Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2023 21:15:22 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: General-Zod - Sat, 26 Aug 2023 21:15 UTC

Will Dockery wrote:

>> > Again, good find.
>> Yuh means "bood"

> How about a "yeaf," Pendragon?

Ha ha...

Re: Barfield's excellent books & art

<318321453444c8ae02e1ccc7523edb7e@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=229840&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#229840

Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2023 12:07:17 +0000
Subject: Re: Barfield's excellent books & art
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Tue, 29 Aug 2023 12:07 UTC

General-Zod wrote:

> [...]

> Desperate times call for desperate measures. Farm raised shrimp from Asia have driven the prices of wild caught shrimp down. Three bad winters followed by hot and dry summers have decimated the wild population. Now the Department of Natural Resources has closed the season to give the wild population time to recover. For the last three years Jack has gotten by on a meager catch and savings, but now the savings are gone. When his friend and fellow shrimper, captain Barns, suggest that they go to the southern Caribbean and work the international waters off Venezuela, he turns him down. “To many crazy people with guns, and no law. Between the Cubans, the drug runners, and plain old pirates out of Jamaica and Haiti that place is a war zone.” Now, faced with losing everything he and his wife have built, and unable to support his family, he agrees. This begins a voyage into hell that is sold as paradise in the tourist brochures and cruise ship advertisements. As they move further south Jack realizes that one misstep and you lose everything. A man will do anything necessary to protect and support his family and way of life, even murder.

Again, good find.

Re: Dan Barfield's excellent books & art

<5f5c1bbb-c629-47d5-8cfd-b3d6d017b4c5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=230088&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#230088

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 14:13:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: vhugo...@gmail.com (Faraway Star)
 by: Faraway Star - Wed, 30 Aug 2023 21:13 UTC

> [...]
> > Desperate times call for desperate measures. Farm raised shrimp from Asia have driven the prices of wild caught shrimp down. Three bad winters followed by hot and dry summers have decimated the wild population. Now the Department of Natural Resources has closed the season to give the wild population time to recover. For the last three years Jack has gotten by on a meager catch and savings, but now the savings are gone. When his friend and fellow shrimper, captain Barns, suggest that they go to the southern Caribbean and work the international waters off Venezuela, he turns him down. “To many crazy people with guns, and no law. Between the Cubans, the drug runners, and plain old pirates out of Jamaica and Haiti that place is a war zone.” Now, faced with losing everything he and his wife have built, and unable to support his family, he agrees. This begins a voyage into hell that is sold as paradise in the tourist brochures and cruise ship advertisements. As they move further south Jack realizes that one misstep and you lose everything. A man will do anything necessary to protect and support his family and way of life, even murder.

Hi there THX

Re: Ban Barfield's excellent books & art

<736b6e4b18886f809f1e6bc5d32701d1@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=230224&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#230224

Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 15:49:09 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Thu, 31 Aug 2023 15:49 UTC

General-Zod wrote:

> [...]

> Desperate times call for desperate measures. Farm raised shrimp from Asia have driven the prices of wild caught shrimp down. Three bad winters followed by hot and dry summers have decimated the wild population. Now the Department of Natural Resources has closed the season to give the wild population time to recover. For the last three years Jack has gotten by on a meager catch and savings, but now the savings are gone. When his friend and fellow shrimper, captain Barns, suggest that they go to the southern Caribbean and work the international waters off Venezuela, he turns him down. “To many crazy people with guns, and no law. Between the Cubans, the drug runners, and plain old pirates out of Jamaica and Haiti that place is a war zone.” Now, faced with losing everything he and his wife have built, and unable to support his family, he agrees. This begins a voyage into hell that is sold as paradise in the tourist brochures and cruise ship advertisements. As they move further south Jack realizes that one misstep and you lose everything. A man will do anything necessary to protect and support his family and way of life, even murder.

Again, good work.

arts / alt.arts.poetry.comments / Re: Ban Barfield's excellent books & art