Keep on keepin' on.

arts / alt.arts.poetry.comments / Re: Ahmos Zu-Bolton at Carver High School in 1976

SubjectAuthor
* Ahmos Zu-Bolton at Carver High School in 1976Zod
+- Re: Ahmos Zu-Bolton at Carver High School in 1976W-Dockery
+* Re: Ahmos Zu-Bolton at Carver High School in 1976Will Dockery
|`* Re: Ahmos Zu-Bolton at Carver High School in 1976General-Zod
| +* Re: Ahmos Zu-Bolton at Carver High School in 1976Will Dockery
| |`* Re: Ahmos Zu-Bolton at Carver High School in 1976Zod
| | +- Re: Ahmos Zu-Bolton at Carver High School in 1976W-Dockery
| | +* Re: Ahmos Zu-Bolton at Carver High School in 1976Will Dockery
| | |`- Re: Ahmos Zu-Bolton at Carver High School in 1976General-Zod
| | `- Re: Ahmos Zu-Bolton at Carver High School in 1976Will Dockery
| `- Re: Ahmos Zu-Bolton at Carver High School in 1976Will Dockery
+- Re: Ahmos Zu-Bolton at Carver High School in 1976Will Dockery
+- Re: Ahmos Zu-Bolton at Carver High School in 1976Will Dockery
+* Re: Ahmos Zu-Bolton at Carver High School in May 1976Will Dockery
|`* Re: Ahmos Zu-Bolton at Carver High School in May 1976Faraway Star
| `* Re: Ahmos Zu-Bolton at Carver High School in May 1976Will Dockery
|  `* Re: Ahmos Zu-Bolton at Carver High School in May 1976General-Zod
|   `* Re: Ahmos Zu-Bolton at Carver High School in May 1976W.Dockery
|    `- Re: Ahmos Zu-Bolton at Carver High School in May 1976General-Zod
`* Re: Ahmos Zu-Bolton at Carver High School in 1976W.Dockery
 `- Re: Ahmos Zu-Bolton at Carver High School in 1976W.Dockery

1
Ahmos Zu-Bolton at Carver High School in 1976

<6b2c649d7de578b96253b954b2ae3588@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=174034&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#174034

Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2022 19:48:59 +0000
Subject: Ahmos Zu-Bolton at Carver High School in 1976
From: Zod...@news.novabbs.com (Zod)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: Zod - Sun, 9 Oct 2022 19:48 UTC

The full story....

http://www.nathanielturner.com/candelightvigilforahmoszubolton.htm

https://pennyspoetry.fandom.com/wiki/Ahmos_Zu-Bolton#Poet_In_Residence

***

************************************************Poet In Residence
"I linger here for the mountains the waters, and the shadows only … this tribe ain’t mine." -Ahmos Zu-Bolton

Zu-Bolton was an African-American Beat poet of the 1970s who touched lives as a “poet” in the classrooms of Virginia, Georgia and Texas. He was instrumental to college campuses adding new bodies of thought about poetry and color, as a writer of poetry collections such as Fishpond Australia, Ain't No Spring Chicken, Hoo-Doo, and A N*ggered Amen, which was published December 1, 1975. Ahmos Zu-Bolton was Resident Poet and advisor for the student publication Pegasus Literary Journal 1976 at George Washington Carver High School (Columbus, Georgia) in Columbus, Georgia in the spring of 1976, for the class of Dan Barfield, where he met, taught and was a major influence on the life and poetry of Will Dockery, and, the next year, Grace Cavalieri.

Cavalieri: "In 1977 he took my first full-length poetry book Body Fluids for distribution and sent me the first check I ever received for poetry. I think it was $7.00 or $8.00. He reached across race to include me. Connections. Interconnectedness is more like it."[8]

In Washington, D.C., Ethelbert Miller became his historian. Zu-Bolton was co-director to Ethelbert Miller's Directorship of the Afro American Resource Center at Howard University; and, there still exists in D.C. a community of poets who will always revere and love him. He teamed up with artists in New Orleans, Galveston, Austin and Houston to produce his HooDoo Festivals.

While living in New Orleans he taught English, African American Studies and Creative Writing at Xavier University, Tulane University and Delgado Community College. He was Visiting Writer in Residence at University of Missouri.. When Zu Bolton died in 2005, that college held a candlelight vigil. And, he connected with the old as well as the young: he and his wife, poet Harryette Mullen, worked with senior citizens in 1978, teaching and encouraging their life stories.*********************************************************

***

Re: Ahmos Zu-Bolton at Carver High School in 1976

<a927d5e7314be08571b71b43377b5b06@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=174177&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#174177

Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 18:57:21 +0000
Subject: Re: Ahmos Zu-Bolton at Carver High School in 1976
From: parnello...@gmail.com (W-Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W-Dockery - Mon, 10 Oct 2022 18:57 UTC

Zod wrote:

> The full story....

> http://www.nathanielturner.com/candelightvigilforahmoszubolton.htm

> https://pennyspoetry.fandom.com/wiki/Ahmos_Zu-Bolton#Poet_In_Residence

> ***

> ************************************************Poet In Residence
> "I linger here for the mountains the waters, and the shadows only … this tribe ain’t mine." -Ahmos Zu-Bolton

> Zu-Bolton was an African-American Beat poet of the 1970s who touched lives as a “poet” in the classrooms of Virginia, Georgia and Texas. He was instrumental to college campuses adding new bodies of thought about poetry and color, as a writer of poetry collections such as Fishpond Australia, Ain't No Spring Chicken, Hoo-Doo, and A N*ggered Amen, which was published December 1, 1975. Ahmos Zu-Bolton was Resident Poet and advisor for the student publication Pegasus Literary Journal 1976 at George Washington Carver High School (Columbus, Georgia) in Columbus, Georgia in the spring of 1976, for the class of Dan Barfield, where he met, taught and was a major influence on the life and poetry of Will Dockery, and, the next year, Grace Cavalieri.

> Cavalieri: "In 1977 he took my first full-length poetry book Body Fluids for distribution and sent me the first check I ever received for poetry. I think it was $7.00 or $8.00. He reached across race to include me. Connections. Interconnectedness is more like it."[8]

> In Washington, D.C., Ethelbert Miller became his historian. Zu-Bolton was co-director to Ethelbert Miller's Directorship of the Afro American Resource Center at Howard University; and, there still exists in D.C. a community of poets who will always revere and love him. He teamed up with artists in New Orleans, Galveston, Austin and Houston to produce his HooDoo Festivals.

> While living in New Orleans he taught English, African American Studies and Creative Writing at Xavier University, Tulane University and Delgado Community College. He was Visiting Writer in Residence at University of Missouri.. When Zu Bolton died in 2005, that college held a candlelight vigil. And, he connected with the old as well as the young: he and his wife, poet Harryette Mullen, worked with senior citizens in 1978, teaching and encouraging their life stories.*********************************************************

> ***

Good archival material.

:)

Re: Ahmos Zu-Bolton at Carver High School in 1976

<101506f1-6c67-4faa-8668-effffc06b3c7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=175967&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#175967

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2022 23:29:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: opb...@yahoo.com (Will Dockery)
 by: Will Dockery - Thu, 20 Oct 2022 06:29 UTC

On Sunday, October 9, 2022 at 8:02:06 PM UTC-4, Zod wrote:

> The full story....
>
> http://www.nathanielturner.com/candelightvigilforahmoszubolton.htm
>
> https://pennyspoetry.fandom.com/wiki/Ahmos_Zu-Bolton#Poet_In_Residence
>
> ***
>
> ************************************************Poet In Residence
> "I linger here for the mountains the waters, and the shadows only … this tribe ain’t mine." -Ahmos Zu-Bolton
>
> Zu-Bolton was an African-American Beat poet of the 1970s who touched lives as a “poet” in the classrooms of Virginia, Georgia and Texas. He was instrumental to college campuses adding new bodies of thought about poetry and color, as a writer of poetry collections such as Fishpond Australia, Ain't No Spring Chicken, Hoo-Doo, and A N*ggered Amen, which was published December 1, 1975. Ahmos Zu-Bolton was Resident Poet and advisor for the student publication Pegasus Literary Journal 1976 at George Washington Carver High School (Columbus, Georgia) in Columbus, Georgia in the spring of 1976, for the class of Dan Barfield, where he met, taught and was a major influence on the life and poetry of Will Dockery, and, the next year, Grace Cavalieri.
>
> Cavalieri: "In 1977 he took my first full-length poetry book Body Fluids for distribution and sent me the first check I ever received for poetry. I think it was $7.00 or $8.00. He reached across race to include me. Connections. Interconnectedness is more like it."[8]
>
> In Washington, D.C., Ethelbert Miller became his historian. Zu-Bolton was co-director to Ethelbert Miller's Directorship of the Afro American Resource Center at Howard University; and, there still exists in D.C. a community of poets who will always revere and love him. He teamed up with artists in New Orleans, Galveston, Austin and Houston to produce his HooDoo Festivals..
>
> While living in New Orleans he taught English, African American Studies and Creative Writing at Xavier University, Tulane University and Delgado Community College. He was Visiting Writer in Residence at University of Missouri.. When Zu Bolton died in 2005, that college held a candlelight vigil. And, he connected with the old as well as the young: he and his wife, poet Harryette Mullen, worked with senior citizens in 1978, teaching and encouraging their life stories.*********************************************************
>
> ***

Good archival material to set the record straight, Zod.

Re: Ahmos Zu-Bolton at Carver High School in 1976

<707d5fc8d6015e17a9eef9ead0ea7dab@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=177179&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#177179

Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 21:02:41 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: General-Zod - Tue, 25 Oct 2022 21:02 UTC

Will Dockery wrote:

> On Sunday, October 9, 2022 at 8:02:06 PM UTC-4, Zod wrote:

>> The full story....
>>
>> http://www.nathanielturner.com/candelightvigilforahmoszubolton.htm
>>
>> https://pennyspoetry.fandom.com/wiki/Ahmos_Zu-Bolton#Poet_In_Residence
>>
>> ***
>>
>> ************************************************Poet In Residence
>> "I linger here for the mountains the waters, and the shadows only … this tribe ain’t mine." -Ahmos Zu-Bolton
>>
>> Zu-Bolton was an African-American Beat poet of the 1970s who touched lives as a “poet” in the classrooms of Virginia, Georgia and Texas. He was instrumental to college campuses adding new bodies of thought about poetry and color, as a writer of poetry collections such as Fishpond Australia, Ain't No Spring Chicken, Hoo-Doo, and A N*ggered Amen, which was published December 1, 1975. Ahmos Zu-Bolton was Resident Poet and advisor for the student publication Pegasus Literary Journal 1976 at George Washington Carver High School (Columbus, Georgia) in Columbus, Georgia in the spring of 1976, for the class of Dan Barfield, where he met, taught and was a major influence on the life and poetry of Will Dockery, and, the next year, Grace Cavalieri.
>>
>> Cavalieri: "In 1977 he took my first full-length poetry book Body Fluids for distribution and sent me the first check I ever received for poetry. I think it was $7.00 or $8.00. He reached across race to include me. Connections. Interconnectedness is more like it."[8]
>>
>> In Washington, D.C., Ethelbert Miller became his historian. Zu-Bolton was co-director to Ethelbert Miller's Directorship of the Afro American Resource Center at Howard University; and, there still exists in D.C. a community of poets who will always revere and love him. He teamed up with artists in New Orleans, Galveston, Austin and Houston to produce his HooDoo Festivals..
>>
>> While living in New Orleans he taught English, African American Studies and Creative Writing at Xavier University, Tulane University and Delgado Community College. He was Visiting Writer in Residence at University of Missouri.. When Zu Bolton died in 2005, that college held a candlelight vigil. And, he connected with the old as well as the young: he and his wife, poet Harryette Mullen, worked with senior citizens in 1978, teaching and encouraging their life stories.*********************************************************
>>
>> ***

> Good archival material to set the record straight, Zod.

More to come...!

Re: Ahmos Zu-Bolton at Carver High School in 1976

<1efa8564-b23d-46c1-8a8c-44fb6b2ebf14n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=177742&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#177742

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2022 06:54:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: opb...@yahoo.com (Will Dockery)
 by: Will Dockery - Fri, 28 Oct 2022 13:54 UTC

On Tuesday, October 25, 2022 at 6:24:23 PM UTC-4, Zod wrote:
> Will Dockery wrote:
>
> > On Sunday, October 9, 2022 at 8:02:06 PM UTC-4, Zod wrote:
>

> >> The full story....
> >>
> >> http://www.nathanielturner.com/candelightvigilforahmoszubolton.htm
> >>
> >> https://pennyspoetry.fandom.com/wiki/Ahmos_Zu-Bolton#Poet_In_Residence
> >>
> >> ***
> >>
> >> ************************************************Poet In Residence
> >> "I linger here for the mountains the waters, and the shadows only … this tribe ain’t mine." -Ahmos Zu-Bolton
> >>
> >> Zu-Bolton was an African-American Beat poet of the 1970s who touched lives as a “poet” in the classrooms of Virginia, Georgia and Texas. He was instrumental to college campuses adding new bodies of thought about poetry and color, as a writer of poetry collections such as Fishpond Australia, Ain't No Spring Chicken, Hoo-Doo, and A N*ggered Amen, which was published December 1, 1975. Ahmos Zu-Bolton was Resident Poet and advisor for the student publication Pegasus Literary Journal 1976 at George Washington Carver High School (Columbus, Georgia) in Columbus, Georgia in the spring of 1976, for the class of Dan Barfield, where he met, taught and was a major influence on the life and poetry of Will Dockery, and, the next year, Grace Cavalieri.
> >>
> >> Cavalieri: "In 1977 he took my first full-length poetry book Body Fluids for distribution and sent me the first check I ever received for poetry. I think it was $7.00 or $8.00. He reached across race to include me. Connections. Interconnectedness is more like it."[8]
> >>
> >> In Washington, D.C., Ethelbert Miller became his historian. Zu-Bolton was co-director to Ethelbert Miller's Directorship of the Afro American Resource Center at Howard University; and, there still exists in D.C. a community of poets who will always revere and love him. He teamed up with artists in New Orleans, Galveston, Austin and Houston to produce his HooDoo Festivals..
> >>
> >> While living in New Orleans he taught English, African American Studies and Creative Writing at Xavier University, Tulane University and Delgado Community College. He was Visiting Writer in Residence at University of Missouri.. When Zu Bolton died in 2005, that college held a candlelight vigil. And, he connected with the old as well as the young: he and his wife, poet Harryette Mullen, worked with senior citizens in 1978, teaching and encouraging their life stories.*********************************************************
> >>
> >> ***
>
> > Good archival material to set the record straight, Zod.
> More to come...!

Looking forward to it.

Re: Ahmos Zu-Bolton at Carver High School in 1976

<35386c21-07c2-4b7d-8cbe-8c50956e85abn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=177815&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#177815

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2022 13:12:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: vhugo...@gmail.com (Zod)
 by: Zod - Fri, 28 Oct 2022 20:12 UTC

On Friday, October 28, 2022 at 9:54:21 AM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 25, 2022 at 6:24:23 PM UTC-4, Zod wrote:
> > Will Dockery wrote:

> > > Good archival material to set the record straight, Zod.
> > More to come...!
> Looking forward to it.

https://projecthbw.ku.edu/uncategorized/poetry-in-first-world-april-meditation/

After Johnson Publications abruptly discontinued Black World in 1976, Hoyt W. Fuller and
others founded First World Foundation in Atlanta and began to publish First World: An International Journal of
Black Thought. In The Black Arts Movement (2005), James
Smethurst does not associate the demise of Black World and the birth of First World with Watergate (1974), but
future studies of African American poetry will have to account for how the
covert activities of Richard Nixon’s administration intensified divisions and
decline within the evolving of Black cultural nationalism.
Post-Civil Rights assumptions about the aesthetic function
of poetry beg to be explained within the total context of dwindling American
faith in the credibility of democracy. The “formal turn” in black poetry after
1974, even if it is considered as a pure act of language (a specialized speech
act), must be associated with a paradoxical resuscitation of faith in American
exceptionalism. I want to sell signifying
tickets with the claim that young black poets born after 1965
consciously and unconsciously were determined in the late 1980s and early 1990s
to prove they were more quintessentially “American” in craft than other poets
in the United States, much in the fashion Ralph Ellison “proved” he was more
American than Saul Bellow. --Jerry W. Ward

Re: Ahmos Zu-Bolton at Carver High School in 1976

<cf0f70d88b2d6c81de4ecb53888d72ab@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=177874&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#177874

Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2022 23:54:08 +0000
From: parnello...@gmail.com (W-Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W-Dockery - Fri, 28 Oct 2022 23:54 UTC

Zod wrote:

> On Friday, October 28, 2022 at 9:54:21 AM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:

>> > More to come...!
>> Looking forward to it.

> https://projecthbw.ku.edu/uncategorized/poetry-in-first-world-april-meditation/

> After Johnson Publications abruptly discontinued Black World in 1976, Hoyt W. Fuller and
> others founded First World Foundation in Atlanta and began to publish First World: An International Journal of
> Black Thought. In The Black Arts Movement (2005), James
> Smethurst does not associate the demise of Black World and the birth of First World with Watergate (1974), but
> future studies of African American poetry will have to account for how the
> covert activities of Richard Nixon’s administration intensified divisions and
> decline within the evolving of Black cultural nationalism.
> Post-Civil Rights assumptions about the aesthetic function
> of poetry beg to be explained within the total context of dwindling American
> faith in the credibility of democracy. The “formal turn” in black poetry after
> 1974, even if it is considered as a pure act of language (a specialized speech
> act), must be associated with a paradoxical resuscitation of faith in American
> exceptionalism. I want to sell signifying
> tickets with the claim that young black poets born after 1965
> consciously and unconsciously were determined in the late 1980s and early 1990s
> to prove they were more quintessentially “American” in craft than other poets
> in the United States, much in the fashion Ralph Ellison “proved” he was more
> American than Saul Bellow. --Jerry W. Ward

Interesting information.

Re: Ahmos Zu-Bolton at Carver High School in 1976

<db994a64-55d6-4b41-b9b5-cb6db576b53dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=185884&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#185884

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2022 00:02:15 -0800 (PST)
From: opb...@yahoo.com (Will Dockery)
 by: Will Dockery - Sun, 4 Dec 2022 08:02 UTC

On Friday, October 28, 2022 at 4:12:29 PM UTC-4, Zod wrote:
> On Friday, October 28, 2022 at 9:54:21 AM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:

> > > More to come...!
> > Looking forward to it.
> https://projecthbw.ku.edu/uncategorized/poetry-in-first-world-april-meditation/

> After Johnson Publications abruptly discontinued Black World in 1976, Hoyt W. Fuller and
> others founded First World Foundation in Atlanta and began to publish First World: An International Journal of
> Black Thought. In The Black Arts Movement (2005), James
> Smethurst does not associate the demise of Black World and the birth of First World with Watergate (1974), but
> future studies of African American poetry will have to account for how the
> covert activities of Richard Nixon’s administration intensified divisions and
> decline within the evolving of Black cultural nationalism.
> Post-Civil Rights assumptions about the aesthetic function
> of poetry beg to be explained within the total context of dwindling American
> faith in the credibility of democracy. The “formal turn” in black poetry after
> 1974, even if it is considered as a pure act of language (a specialized speech
> act), must be associated with a paradoxical resuscitation of faith in American
> exceptionalism. I want to sell signifying
> tickets with the claim that young black poets born after 1965
> consciously and unconsciously were determined in the late 1980s and early 1990s
> to prove they were more quintessentially “American” in craft than other poets
> in the United States, much in the fashion Ralph Ellison “proved” he was more
> American than Saul Bellow. --Jerry W. Ward

Good find, Zod.

Re: Ahmos Zu-Bolton at Carver High School in 1976

<8a1182bb-9dcb-4fc9-9b05-de8b89f72fd7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=186706&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#186706

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2022 21:18:39 -0800 (PST)
From: opb...@yahoo.com (Will Dockery)
 by: Will Dockery - Thu, 8 Dec 2022 05:18 UTC

On Friday, October 28, 2022 at 4:12:29 PM UTC-4, Zod wrote:
> On Friday, October 28, 2022 at 9:54:21 AM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:

> > > More to come...!
> > Looking forward to it.
> https://projecthbw.ku.edu/uncategorized/poetry-in-first-world-april-meditation/

> After Johnson Publications abruptly discontinued Black World in 1976, Hoyt W. Fuller and
> others founded First World Foundation in Atlanta and began to publish First World: An International Journal of
> Black Thought. In The Black Arts Movement (2005), James
> Smethurst does not associate the demise of Black World and the birth of First World with Watergate (1974), but
> future studies of African American poetry will have to account for how the
> covert activities of Richard Nixon’s administration intensified divisions and
> decline within the evolving of Black cultural nationalism.
> Post-Civil Rights assumptions about the aesthetic function
> of poetry beg to be explained within the total context of dwindling American
> faith in the credibility of democracy. The “formal turn” in black poetry after
> 1974, even if it is considered as a pure act of language (a specialized speech
> act), must be associated with a paradoxical resuscitation of faith in American
> exceptionalism. I want to sell signifying
> tickets with the claim that young black poets born after 1965
> consciously and unconsciously were determined in the late 1980s and early 1990s
> to prove they were more quintessentially “American” in craft than other poets
> in the United States, much in the fashion Ralph Ellison “proved” he was more
> American than Saul Bellow. --Jerry W. Ward

Another good find, Zod.

🙂

Re: Ahmos Zu-Bolton at Carver High School in 1976

<6ec923bb-98a8-4156-8705-ff0906f42402n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=216225&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#216225

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 21:49:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: opb...@yahoo.com (Will Dockery)
 by: Will Dockery - Wed, 31 May 2023 04:49 UTC

> The full story....
>
> http://www.nathanielturner.com/candelightvigilforahmoszubolton.htm
>
> https://pennyspoetry.fandom.com/wiki/Ahmos_Zu-Bolton#Poet_In_Residence
>
> ***
>
> ************************************************Poet In Residence
> "I linger here for the mountains the waters, and the shadows only … this tribe ain’t mine." -Ahmos Zu-Bolton
>
> Zu-Bolton was an African-American Beat poet of the 1970s who touched lives as a “poet” in the classrooms of Virginia, Georgia and Texas. He was instrumental to college campuses adding new bodies of thought about poetry and color, as a writer of poetry collections such as Fishpond Australia, Ain't No Spring Chicken, Hoo-Doo, and A N*ggered Amen, which was published December 1, 1975. Ahmos Zu-Bolton was Resident Poet and advisor for the student publication Pegasus Literary Journal 1976 at George Washington Carver High School (Columbus, Georgia) in Columbus, Georgia in the spring of 1976, for the class of Dan Barfield, where he met, taught and was a major influence on the life and poetry of Will Dockery, and, the next year, Grace Cavalieri.
>
> Cavalieri: "In 1977 he took my first full-length poetry book Body Fluids for distribution and sent me the first check I ever received for poetry. I think it was $7.00 or $8.00. He reached across race to include me. Connections. Interconnectedness is more like it."[8]
>
> In Washington, D.C., Ethelbert Miller became his historian. Zu-Bolton was co-director to Ethelbert Miller's Directorship of the Afro American Resource Center at Howard University; and, there still exists in D.C. a community of poets who will always revere and love him. He teamed up with artists in New Orleans, Galveston, Austin and Houston to produce his HooDoo Festivals..
>
> While living in New Orleans he taught English, African American Studies and Creative Writing at Xavier University, Tulane University and Delgado Community College. He was Visiting Writer in Residence at University of Missouri.. When Zu Bolton died in 2005, that college held a candlelight vigil. And, he connected with the old as well as the young: he and his wife, poet Harryette Mullen, worked with senior citizens in 1978, teaching and encouraging their life stories.*********************************************************
>
> ***

Setting the record straight.

Re: Ahmos Zu-Bolton at Carver High School in 1976

<e73737bc-8abf-4c94-97fa-a5dbc0b1dcd1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=223968&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#223968

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2023 09:34:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (Will Dockery)
 by: Will Dockery - Wed, 26 Jul 2023 16:34 UTC

Zod wrote:

> > https://pennyspoetry.fandom.com/wiki/Ahmos_Zu-Bolton#Poet_In_Residence
> >
> > ************************************************Poet In Residence
> > "I linger here for the mountains the waters, and the shadows only … this tribe ain’t mine." -Ahmos Zu-Bolton
> >
> > Zu-Bolton was an African-American Beat poet of the 1970s who touched lives as a “poet” in the classrooms of Virginia, Georgia and Texas. He was instrumental to college campuses adding new bodies of thought about poetry and color, as a writer of poetry collections such as Fishpond Australia, Ain't No Spring Chicken, Hoo-Doo, and A N*ggered Amen, which was published December 1, 1975. Ahmos Zu-Bolton was Resident Poet and advisor for the student publication Pegasus Literary Journal 1976 at George Washington Carver High School (Columbus, Georgia) in Columbus, Georgia in the spring of 1976, for the class of Dan Barfield, where he met, taught and was a major influence on the life and poetry of Will Dockery, and, the next year, Grace Cavalieri.
> >
> > Cavalieri: "In 1977 he took my first full-length poetry book Body Fluids for distribution and sent me the first check I ever received for poetry. I think it was $7.00 or $8.00. He reached across race to include me. Connections. Interconnectedness is more like it."[8]
> >
> > In Washington, D.C., Ethelbert Miller became his historian. Zu-Bolton was co-director to Ethelbert Miller's Directorship of the Afro American Resource Center at Howard University; and, there still exists in D.C. a community of poets who will always revere and love him. He teamed up with artists in New Orleans, Galveston, Austin and Houston to produce his HooDoo Festivals.
> >
> > While living in New Orleans he taught English, African American Studies and Creative Writing at Xavier University, Tulane University and Delgado Community College. He was Visiting Writer in Residence at University of Missouri. When Zu Bolton died in 2005, that college held a candlelight vigil. And, he connected with the old as well as the young: he and his wife, poet Harryette Mullen, worked with senior citizens in 1978, teaching and encouraging their life stories.*********************************************************

Thanks again for helping keep the record straight about Ahmos Zu-Bolton, Zod.

HTH and HAND.

Re: Ahmos Zu-Bolton at Carver High School in 1976

<5f867530-c45e-4625-972f-92d477f4fe13n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=225421&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#225421

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2023 21:32:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (Will Dockery)
 by: Will Dockery - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 04:32 UTC

General-Zod wrote:
> Will Dockery wrote:
>
> > On Sunday, October 9, 2022 at 8:02:06 PM UTC-4, Zod wrote:
>

> >> The full story....
> >>
> >> http://www.nathanielturner.com/candelightvigilforahmoszubolton.htm
> >>
> >> https://pennyspoetry.fandom.com/wiki/Ahmos_Zu-Bolton#Poet_In_Residence
> >>
> >> ***
> >>
> >> ************************************************Poet In Residence
> >> "I linger here for the mountains the waters, and the shadows only … this tribe ain’t mine." -Ahmos Zu-Bolton
> >>
> >> Zu-Bolton was an African-American Beat poet of the 1970s who touched lives as a “poet” in the classrooms of Virginia, Georgia and Texas. He was instrumental to college campuses adding new bodies of thought about poetry and color, as a writer of poetry collections such as Fishpond Australia, Ain't No Spring Chicken, Hoo-Doo, and A N*ggered Amen, which was published December 1, 1975. Ahmos Zu-Bolton was Resident Poet and advisor for the student publication Pegasus Literary Journal 1976 at George Washington Carver High School (Columbus, Georgia) in Columbus, Georgia in the spring of 1976, for the class of Dan Barfield, where he met, taught and was a major influence on the life and poetry of Will Dockery, and, the next year, Grace Cavalieri.
> >>
> >> Cavalieri: "In 1977 he took my first full-length poetry book Body Fluids for distribution and sent me the first check I ever received for poetry. I think it was $7.00 or $8.00. He reached across race to include me. Connections. Interconnectedness is more like it."[8]
> >>
> >> In Washington, D.C., Ethelbert Miller became his historian. Zu-Bolton was co-director to Ethelbert Miller's Directorship of the Afro American Resource Center at Howard University; and, there still exists in D.C. a community of poets who will always revere and love him. He teamed up with artists in New Orleans, Galveston, Austin and Houston to produce his HooDoo Festivals..
> >>
> >> While living in New Orleans he taught English, African American Studies and Creative Writing at Xavier University, Tulane University and Delgado Community College. He was Visiting Writer in Residence at University of Missouri.. When Zu Bolton died in 2005, that college held a candlelight vigil. And, he connected with the old as well as the young: he and his wife, poet Harryette Mullen, worked with senior citizens in 1978, teaching and encouraging their life stories.*********************************************************
> >>
> >> ***
>
> > Good archival material to set the record straight, Zod.
> More to come...!

Always.

🙂

Re: Ahmos Zu-Bolton at Carver High School in May 1976

<27f12882-cc81-4316-aa91-afcff482d40fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=237096&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#237096

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2023 15:21:56 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Ahmos Zu-Bolton at Carver High School in May 1976
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (Will Dockery)
 by: Will Dockery - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 22:21 UTC

Zod wrote:

> The full story....
>
> http://www.nathanielturner.com/candelightvigilforahmoszubolton.htm
>
> https://pennyspoetry.fandom.com/wiki/Ahmos_Zu-Bolton#Poet_In_Residence
>
> ***
>
> ************************************************Poet In Residence
> "I linger here for the mountains the waters, and the shadows only … this tribe ain’t mine." -Ahmos Zu-Bolton
>
> Zu-Bolton was an African-American Beat poet of the 1970s who touched lives as a “poet” in the classrooms of Virginia, Georgia and Texas. He was instrumental to college campuses adding new bodies of thought about poetry and color, as a writer of poetry collections such as Fishpond Australia, Ain't No Spring Chicken, Hoo-Doo, and A N*ggered Amen, which was published December 1, 1975. Ahmos Zu-Bolton was Resident Poet and advisor for the student publication Pegasus Literary Journal 1976 at George Washington Carver High School (Columbus, Georgia) in Columbus, Georgia in the spring of 1976, for the class of Dan Barfield, where he met, taught and was a major influence on the life and poetry of Will Dockery, and, the next year, Grace Cavalieri.
>
> Cavalieri: "In 1977 he took my first full-length poetry book Body Fluids for distribution and sent me the first check I ever received for poetry. I think it was $7.00 or $8.00. He reached across race to include me. Connections. Interconnectedness is more like it."[8]
>
> In Washington, D.C., Ethelbert Miller became his historian. Zu-Bolton was co-director to Ethelbert Miller's Directorship of the Afro American Resource Center at Howard University; and, there still exists in D.C. a community of poets who will always revere and love him. He teamed up with artists in New Orleans, Galveston, Austin and Houston to produce his HooDoo Festivals..
>
> While living in New Orleans he taught English, African American Studies and Creative Writing at Xavier University, Tulane University and Delgado Community College. He was Visiting Writer in Residence at University of Missouri.. When Zu Bolton died in 2005, that college held a candlelight vigil. And, he connected with the old as well as the young: he and his wife, poet Harryette Mullen, worked with senior citizens in 1978, teaching and encouraging their life stories.*********************************************************
>
> ***

Proof positive that Ahmos Zu-Bolton was here in Columbus Georgia in Spring of 1976:

https://imgur.com/gallery/21EBedm

https://imgur.com/gallery/f4cyMMm

"Ahmos Zu-Bolton
Poet-In-Residence
May, 1976"

😃

Re: Ahmos Zu-Bolton at Carver High School in May 1976

<78bff341-bde4-451d-aa97-b834a0e0454cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=237414&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#237414

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 14:27:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: vhugo...@gmail.com (Faraway Star)
 by: Faraway Star - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 21:27 UTC

On Wednesday, October 18, 2023 at 6:21:58 PM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
> Zod wrote:
> >
> > The full story....
> >
> > http://www.nathanielturner.com/candelightvigilforahmoszubolton.htm
> >
> > https://pennyspoetry.fandom.com/wiki/Ahmos_Zu-Bolton#Poet_In_Residence
> >
> > ***
> >
> > ************************************************Poet In Residence
> > "I linger here for the mountains the waters, and the shadows only … this tribe ain’t mine." -Ahmos Zu-Bolton
> >
> > Zu-Bolton was an African-American Beat poet of the 1970s who touched lives as a “poet” in the classrooms of Virginia, Georgia and Texas. He was instrumental to college campuses adding new bodies of thought about poetry and color, as a writer of poetry collections such as Fishpond Australia, Ain't No Spring Chicken, Hoo-Doo, and A N*ggered Amen, which was published December 1, 1975. Ahmos Zu-Bolton was Resident Poet and advisor for the student publication Pegasus Literary Journal 1976 at George Washington Carver High School (Columbus, Georgia) in Columbus, Georgia in the spring of 1976, for the class of Dan Barfield, where he met, taught and was a major influence on the life and poetry of Will Dockery, and, the next year, Grace Cavalieri.
> >
> > Cavalieri: "In 1977 he took my first full-length poetry book Body Fluids for distribution and sent me the first check I ever received for poetry. I think it was $7.00 or $8.00. He reached across race to include me. Connections. Interconnectedness is more like it."[8]
> >
> > In Washington, D.C., Ethelbert Miller became his historian. Zu-Bolton was co-director to Ethelbert Miller's Directorship of the Afro American Resource Center at Howard University; and, there still exists in D.C. a community of poets who will always revere and love him. He teamed up with artists in New Orleans, Galveston, Austin and Houston to produce his HooDoo Festivals.
> >
> > While living in New Orleans he taught English, African American Studies and Creative Writing at Xavier University, Tulane University and Delgado Community College. He was Visiting Writer in Residence at University of Missouri.. When Zu Bolton died in 2005, that college held a candlelight vigil. And, he connected with the old as well as the young: he and his wife, poet Harryette Mullen, worked with senior citizens in 1978, teaching and encouraging their life stories.*********************************************************
> >
> > ***
> Proof positive that Ahmos Zu-Bolton was here in Columbus Georgia in Spring of 1976:
>
> https://imgur.com/gallery/21EBedm
>
> https://imgur.com/gallery/f4cyMMm
>
> "Ahmos Zu-Bolton
> Poet-In-Residence
> May, 1976"

Great to see that debate settled once and for all, records corrected and set straight for the archives..!

Re: Ahmos Zu-Bolton at Carver High School in May 1976

<da0086e1-f260-4b4b-b483-bc778605cb65n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=237884&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#237884

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 14:11:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (Will Dockery)
 by: Will Dockery - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 21:11 UTC

On Friday, October 20, 2023 at 5:27:08 PM UTC-4, Faraway Star wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 18, 2023 at 6:21:58 PM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
> > Zod wrote:
> > >
> > > The full story....
> > >
> > > http://www.nathanielturner.com/candelightvigilforahmoszubolton.htm
> > >
> > > https://pennyspoetry.fandom.com/wiki/Ahmos_Zu-Bolton#Poet_In_Residence
> > >
> > > ***
> > >
> > > ************************************************Poet In Residence
> > > "I linger here for the mountains the waters, and the shadows only … this tribe ain’t mine." -Ahmos Zu-Bolton
> > >
> > > Zu-Bolton was an African-American Beat poet of the 1970s who touched lives as a “poet” in the classrooms of Virginia, Georgia and Texas. He was instrumental to college campuses adding new bodies of thought about poetry and color, as a writer of poetry collections such as Fishpond Australia, Ain't No Spring Chicken, Hoo-Doo, and A N*ggered Amen, which was published December 1, 1975. Ahmos Zu-Bolton was Resident Poet and advisor for the student publication Pegasus Literary Journal 1976 at George Washington Carver High School (Columbus, Georgia) in Columbus, Georgia in the spring of 1976, for the class of Dan Barfield, where he met, taught and was a major influence on the life and poetry of Will Dockery, and, the next year, Grace Cavalieri.
> > >
> > > Cavalieri: "In 1977 he took my first full-length poetry book Body Fluids for distribution and sent me the first check I ever received for poetry.. I think it was $7.00 or $8.00. He reached across race to include me. Connections. Interconnectedness is more like it."[8]
> > >
> > > In Washington, D.C., Ethelbert Miller became his historian. Zu-Bolton was co-director to Ethelbert Miller's Directorship of the Afro American Resource Center at Howard University; and, there still exists in D.C. a community of poets who will always revere and love him. He teamed up with artists in New Orleans, Galveston, Austin and Houston to produce his HooDoo Festivals.
> > >
> > > While living in New Orleans he taught English, African American Studies and Creative Writing at Xavier University, Tulane University and Delgado Community College. He was Visiting Writer in Residence at University of Missouri.. When Zu Bolton died in 2005, that college held a candlelight vigil.. And, he connected with the old as well as the young: he and his wife, poet Harryette Mullen, worked with senior citizens in 1978, teaching and encouraging their life stories.*********************************************************
> > >
> > > ***
> > Proof positive that Ahmos Zu-Bolton was here in Columbus Georgia in Spring of 1976:
> >
> > https://imgur.com/gallery/21EBedm
> >
> > https://imgur.com/gallery/f4cyMMm
> >
> > "Ahmos Zu-Bolton
> > Poet-In-Residence
> > May, 1976"
> Great to see that debate settled once and for all, records corrected and set straight for the archives..!

Apparently so.

:)

Re: Ahmos Zu-Bolton at Carver High School in 1976

<fbcfc7eb7389bec77316af5e1cdf433d@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=238598&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#238598

Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 18:51:54 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: General-Zod - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 18:51 UTC

Will Dockery wrote:

>> > Looking forward to it.
>> https://projecthbw.ku.edu/uncategorized/poetry-in-first-world-april-meditation/
>>
>> *******************************************************
>>
>> After Johnson Publications abruptly discontinued Black World in 1976, Hoyt W. Fuller and
>> others founded First World Foundation in Atlanta and began to publish First World: An International Journal of
>> Black Thought. In The Black Arts Movement (2005), James
>> Smethurst does not associate the demise of Black World and the birth of First World with Watergate (1974), but
>> future studies of African American poetry will have to account for how the
>> covert activities of Richard Nixon’s administration intensified divisions and
>> decline within the evolving of Black cultural nationalism.
>> Post-Civil Rights assumptions about the aesthetic function
>> of poetry beg to be explained within the total context of dwindling American
>> faith in the credibility of democracy. The “formal turn” in black poetry after
>> 1974, even if it is considered as a pure act of language (a specialized speech
>> act), must be associated with a paradoxical resuscitation of faith in American
>> exceptionalism. I want to sell signifying
>> tickets with the claim that young black poets born after 1965
>> consciously and unconsciously were determined in the late 1980s and early 1990s
>> to prove they were more quintessentially “American” in craft than other poets
>> in the United States, much in the fashion Ralph Ellison “proved” he was more
>> American than Saul Bellow. --Jerry W. Ward

> Good find, Zod.

i thx...

Re: Ahmos Zu-Bolton at Carver High School in May 1976

<24494f1cb4164a378be55e3b9041fd01@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=239379&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#239379

From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2023 18:00:30 +0000
 by: General-Zod - Fri, 3 Nov 2023 18:00 UTC

Will Dockery wrote:

> On Friday, October 20, 2023 at 5:27:08 PM UTC-4, Faraway Star wrote:

>> > Proof positive that Ahmos Zu-Bolton was here in Columbus Georgia in Spring of 1976:
>> >
>> > https://imgur.com/gallery/21EBedm
>> >
>> > https://imgur.com/gallery/f4cyMMm
>> >
>> > "Ahmos Zu-Bolton
>> > Poet-In-Residence
>> > May, 1976"
>> Great to see that debate settled once and for all, records corrected and set straight for the archives..!

> Apparently so.

From the "sound" of the "crickets" I do daresay I reckon so... ha ha.

Re: Ahmos Zu-Bolton at Carver High School in May 1976

<4392655aaea0b993ed871dc07146c7d9@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=239939&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#239939

Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 14:47:36 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 14:47 UTC

General-Zod wrote:

> Will Dockery wrote:

>>> Great to see that debate settled once and for all, records corrected and set straight for the archives..!

>> Apparently so.

> From the "sound" of the "crickets" I do daresay I reckon so... ha ha.

That's okay, they don't have to admit it.

😃

Re: Ahmos Zu-Bolton at Carver High School in May 1976

<730529629a69cb3a4b9552242db04618@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=247373&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#247373

Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 02:54:35 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: General-Zod - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 02:54 UTC

Will Dockery wrote:

>>> Apparently so.

>> From the "sound" of the "crickets" I do daresay I reckon so... ha ha.

> That's okay, they don't have to admit it.

> 😃

Thx for set record straight

Re: Ahmos Zu-Bolton at Carver High School in 1976

<f8e7e17af99449391b1f408cece9cdac@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=248358&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#248358

Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 07:11:10 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 07:11 UTC

Zod wrote:

> The full story....

> http://www.nathanielturner.com/candelightvigilforahmoszubolton.htm

> https://pennyspoetry.fandom.com/wiki/Ahmos_Zu-Bolton#Poet_In_Residence

> ***

> ************************************************Poet In Residence
> "I linger here for the mountains the waters, and the shadows only … this tribe ain’t mine." -Ahmos Zu-Bolton

> Zu-Bolton was an African-American Beat poet of the 1970s who touched lives as a “poet” in the classrooms of Virginia, Georgia and Texas. He was instrumental to college campuses adding new bodies of thought about poetry and color, as a writer of poetry collections such as Fishpond Australia, Ain't No Spring Chicken, Hoo-Doo, and A N*ggered Amen, which was published December 1, 1975. Ahmos Zu-Bolton was Resident Poet and advisor for the student publication Pegasus Literary Journal 1976 at George Washington Carver High School (Columbus, Georgia) in Columbus, Georgia in the spring of 1976, for the class of Dan Barfield, where he met, taught and was a major influence on the life and poetry of Will Dockery, and, the next year, Grace Cavalieri.

> Cavalieri: "In 1977 he took my first full-length poetry book Body Fluids for distribution and sent me the first check I ever received for poetry. I think it was $7.00 or $8.00. He reached across race to include me. Connections. Interconnectedness is more like it."[8]

> In Washington, D.C., Ethelbert Miller became his historian. Zu-Bolton was co-director to Ethelbert Miller's Directorship of the Afro American Resource Center at Howard University; and, there still exists in D.C. a community of poets who will always revere and love him. He teamed up with artists in New Orleans, Galveston, Austin and Houston to produce his HooDoo Festivals.

> While living in New Orleans he taught English, African American Studies and Creative Writing at Xavier University, Tulane University and Delgado Community College. He was Visiting Writer in Residence at University of Missouri.. When Zu Bolton died in 2005, that college held a candlelight vigil. And, he connected with the old as well as the young: he and his wife, poet Harryette Mullen, worked with senior citizens in 1978, teaching and encouraging their life stories.*********************************************************

> ***

Which has now been proven.

Re: Ahmos Zu-Bolton at Carver High School in 1976

<466558d8e0301b7823a64b9e18282e71@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=248909&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#248909

Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 18:19:02 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 18:19 UTC

Ahmos Zu-Bolton was a friend ( they met in the Army, Vietnam) of Carver High School English teacher Dan Barfield in 1976.
Barfield would bring him to the class to speak and workshop as Poet In Residence. I don't seem to find many fellow students who remember him, I do because he gave me some good tips on writing poetry. Mainly "Be real, be honest."

Here's an Ahmos Zu-Bolton poem:https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=248811&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#248811

arts / alt.arts.poetry.comments / Re: Ahmos Zu-Bolton at Carver High School in 1976