From: tricky.d...@sky.com (Tricky Dicky)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Sealing a shower screen
Date: Sun, 5 May 2024 09:36:41 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:JWCM7VksyuBZHN6KjE68f0eu6mo=
 by: Tricky Dicky - Sun, 5 May 2024 09:36 UTC

Does anyone know why manufacturers of shower screens recommend silicone
sealing the glass to tray on the outside. The shower cubicle I installed in
the last house and the screen in this both recommended exterior sealing.

I am asking as I have followed the manufacturers advice but should the seal
need replacing in the future it is going to be rather awkward now that
other furniture and fittings have gone in, whereas sealing from the inside
which seems intuitive will be straight forward.

Richard

Re: Sealing a shower screen

<v17l58$1pneo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122793&group=uk.d-i-y#122793

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Sealing a shower screen
Date: Sun, 5 May 2024 10:56:56 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sun, 5 May 2024 09:56 UTC

On 05/05/2024 10:36, Tricky Dicky wrote:

> Does anyone know why manufacturers of shower screens recommend silicone
> sealing the glass to tray on the outside. The shower cubicle I installed in
> the last house and the screen in this both recommended exterior sealing.
>
> I am asking as I have followed the manufacturers advice but should the seal
> need replacing in the future it is going to be rather awkward now that
> other furniture and fittings have gone in, whereas sealing from the inside
> which seems intuitive will be straight forward.
>
> Richard

Well I sealed mine on the inside because it was rammed up against two
walls and a bath side panel. There was no 'outside'

Then I tiled over all three surfaces.

22 years later it's as good as new

private property.

Karl Marx

Re: Sealing a shower screen

<v17to9$1rivd$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122813&group=uk.d-i-y#122813

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.invalid (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 5 May 2024 13:23:38 +0100
 by: GB - Sun, 5 May 2024 12:23 UTC

On 05/05/2024 10:36, Tricky Dicky wrote:

> Does anyone know why manufacturers of shower screens recommend silicone
> sealing the glass to tray on the outside. The shower cubicle I installed in
> the last house and the screen in this both recommended exterior sealing.
>
> I am asking as I have followed the manufacturers advice but should the seal
> need replacing in the future it is going to be rather awkward now that
> other furniture and fittings have gone in, whereas sealing from the inside
> which seems intuitive will be straight forward.
>
> Richard

The obvious thing to do is to seal on the inside. I expect that many
years experience has shown that sealing on the outside works better.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Sealing a shower screen