Never commit yourself! Let someone else commit you.

aus+uk / uk.media.tv.misc / Re: BBC Four HD returns to Freeview

SubjectAuthor
* BBC Four HD returns to FreeviewAr
+* Re: BBC Four HD returns to FreeviewMartin
|+* Re: BBC Four HD returns to FreeviewAr
||+- Re: BBC Four HD returns to FreeviewMartin
||`- Re: BBC Four HD returns to FreeviewRichard Evans
|`* Re: BBC Four HD returns to FreeviewMike Swift
| `* Re: BBC Four HD returns to FreeviewMartin
|  `* Re: BBC Four HD returns to FreeviewNY
|   `* Re: BBC Four HD returns to FreeviewMartin
|    `* Re: BBC Four HD returns to FreeviewNY
|     `* Re: BBC Four HD returns to FreeviewStephen Wolstenholme
|      `* Re: BBC Four HD returns to FreeviewMike Swift
|       `- Re: BBC Four HD returns to FreeviewNY
`* Re: BBC Four HD returns to FreeviewAndy Burns
 `* Re: BBC Four HD returns to FreeviewMartin
  `* Re: BBC Four HD returns to FreeviewAr
   `- Re: BBC Four HD returns to FreeviewAndy Burns

1
BBC Four HD returns to Freeview

<tg9bnp$11n9g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1282&group=uk.media.tv.misc#1282

From: Ar...@127.0.0.1 (Ar)
Newsgroups: uk.media.tv.misc
Subject: BBC Four HD returns to Freeview
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 10:11:21 +0100
 by: Ar - Mon, 19 Sep 2022 09:11 UTC

Very quietly, BBC Four in HD has returned to Freeview after it was axed
to make way for 5G bollocks, no announcements were made about it from
what I noticed. You might need to rescan to add it to your TV. BBC News
HD still has no new slot.

Re: BBC Four HD returns to Freeview

<41egih9kjnkpbacqrfn4jgk90qet2i1jle@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1286&group=uk.media.tv.misc#1286

From: me...@address.invalid (Martin)
Newsgroups: uk.media.tv.misc
Subject: Re: BBC Four HD returns to Freeview
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 11:38:19 +0200
 by: Martin - Mon, 19 Sep 2022 09:38 UTC

On Mon, 19 Sep 2022 10:11:21 +0100, Ar <Ar@127.0.0.1> wrote:

>Very quietly, BBC Four in HD has returned to Freeview after it was axed
>to make way for 5G bollocks, no announcements were made about it from
>what I noticed. You might need to rescan to add it to your TV. BBC News
>HD still has no new slot.

BBC 4 only broadcasts repeats thanks to budget being given to BBC 3 that few
watch.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Re: BBC Four HD returns to Freeview

<jor430Fn4jiU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1287&group=uk.media.tv.misc#1287

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.media.tv.misc
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 13:02:38 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 19 Sep 2022 12:02 UTC

Ar wrote:

> BBC News HD still has no new slot.

And I don't think it will again, apart from freesat.

Re: BBC Four HD returns to Freeview

<b9tgih9f892viv42g0bu4pjqmgpa12n1um@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1290&group=uk.media.tv.misc#1290

From: me...@address.invalid (Martin)
Newsgroups: uk.media.tv.misc
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 15:58:14 +0200
 by: Martin - Mon, 19 Sep 2022 13:58 UTC

On Mon, 19 Sep 2022 13:02:38 +0100, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

>Ar wrote:
>
>> BBC News HD still has no new slot.
>
>And I don't think it will again, apart from freesat.

Yes but Freesat is for expats :-)
There must be some reason why Humax no longer supports it. :-)
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Re: BBC Four HD returns to Freeview

<tgab44$177jp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1293&group=uk.media.tv.misc#1293

From: Ar...@127.0.0.1 (Ar)
Newsgroups: uk.media.tv.misc
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 19:06:59 +0100
 by: Ar - Mon, 19 Sep 2022 18:06 UTC

On 19/09/2022 14:58, Martin wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Sep 2022 13:02:38 +0100, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
>
>> Ar wrote:
>>
>>> BBC News HD still has no new slot.
>>
>> And I don't think it will again, apart from freesat.
>
> Yes but Freesat is for expats :-)
> There must be some reason why Humax no longer supports it. :-)

Well Freesat boxes are able to decode the EPG were you could actually
use any old digital satellite box to watch the Freesat (and other Sky /
FTA) channels. Most have at least "now and next" working. Some stations
have their EPG guides scrambled, so unless you know the schedules from
elsewhere, they made no sense.

For Freeview and some Freesat, the EPG is scrambled to "force" you to
buy the official feature limited rubbish Freeview / Freesat boxes. The
Free To Air boxes don't pay Freeview / Freesat royalties, so can't
officially add the EPG decrambling to their boxes.

Re: BBC Four HD returns to Freeview

<tgabak$178ci$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1294&group=uk.media.tv.misc#1294

From: Ar...@127.0.0.1 (Ar)
Newsgroups: uk.media.tv.misc
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 19:10:27 +0100
 by: Ar - Mon, 19 Sep 2022 18:10 UTC

On 19/09/2022 10:38, Martin wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Sep 2022 10:11:21 +0100, Ar <Ar@127.0.0.1> wrote:
>
>> Very quietly, BBC Four in HD has returned to Freeview after it was axed
>> to make way for 5G bollocks, no announcements were made about it from
>> what I noticed. You might need to rescan to add it to your TV. BBC News
>> HD still has no new slot.
>
> BBC 4 only broadcasts repeats thanks to budget being given to BBC 3 that few
> watch.

Yes you're right. To bring back that brain dead channel BBC Three, the
BBC stole most of BBC Four's already tiny budget. So instead of having
good arts and science / tech / engineering shows like the recent
construction of Hinkley Point nuclear power station, you can instead on
BBC Three watch transgender or whatever dancing and face painting or
parents seeing their children get off on holiday in Ibiza.

Re: BBC Four HD returns to Freeview

<jorq8rFqjb4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1295&group=uk.media.tv.misc#1295

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.media.tv.misc
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 19:21:14 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 19 Sep 2022 18:21 UTC

Ar wrote:

> For Freeview and some Freesat, the EPG is scrambled to "force" you to buy the
> official feature limited rubbish Freeview / Freesat boxes. The Free To Air boxes
> don't pay Freeview / Freesat royalties, so can't officially add the EPG
> decrambling to their boxes.

I think freeview's 7 day EPG is standards based, while officially freesat is
now/next only with the full guide supposedly restricted to licenced boxes. But
open source software such as mythtv and tvheadend seem to manage to decode the
full 7 day proprietary guide for freesat, not sure if any "generic" FTA boxes do
the same?

Re: BBC Four HD returns to Freeview

<ThfKXJAH4PKjFwWH@ntlworld.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1299&group=uk.media.tv.misc#1299

From: mike.sw...@yeton.co.uk (Mike Swift)
Newsgroups: uk.media.tv.misc
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2022 00:40:55 +0100
 by: Mike Swift - Mon, 19 Sep 2022 23:40 UTC

In article <41egih9kjnkpbacqrfn4jgk90qet2i1jle@4ax.com>, Martin
<me@address.invalid> writes
>>Very quietly, BBC Four in HD has returned to Freeview after it was axed
>>to make way for 5G bollocks, no announcements were made about it from
>>what I noticed. You might need to rescan to add it to your TV. BBC News
>>HD still has no new slot.
>
>BBC 4 only broadcasts repeats thanks to budget being given to BBC 3 that
>few watch.
>--
Indeed, fine if you want to watch fat men dressing as women, and not
very convincing ones at that.

BBC3 is supposed to be aimed at the younger market yet recent polls have
shown they watch little TV, work that one out.

Mike

Yorkshire Halvard Lange

Re: BBC Four HD returns to Freeview

<c66jihtstrjk2ucdj3i22jaeuqspqqpunh@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1300&group=uk.media.tv.misc#1300

From: me...@address.invalid (Martin)
Newsgroups: uk.media.tv.misc
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2022 12:42:14 +0200
 by: Martin - Tue, 20 Sep 2022 10:42 UTC

On Mon, 19 Sep 2022 19:10:27 +0100, Ar <Ar@127.0.0.1> wrote:

>On 19/09/2022 10:38, Martin wrote:
>> On Mon, 19 Sep 2022 10:11:21 +0100, Ar <Ar@127.0.0.1> wrote:
>>
>>> Very quietly, BBC Four in HD has returned to Freeview after it was axed
>>> to make way for 5G bollocks, no announcements were made about it from
>>> what I noticed. You might need to rescan to add it to your TV. BBC News
>>> HD still has no new slot.
>>
>> BBC 4 only broadcasts repeats thanks to budget being given to BBC 3 that few
>> watch.
>
>Yes you're right. To bring back that brain dead channel BBC Three, the
>BBC stole most of BBC Four's already tiny budget. So instead of having
>good arts and science / tech / engineering shows like the recent
>construction of Hinkley Point nuclear power station, you can instead on
>BBC Three watch transgender or whatever dancing and face painting or
>parents seeing their children get off on holiday in Ibiza.

That sums it up well. No wonder young people don't watch it either.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Re: BBC Four HD returns to Freeview

<096jih5o58n7ma743mf8g41peklg2je46u@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1301&group=uk.media.tv.misc#1301

From: me...@address.invalid (Martin)
Newsgroups: uk.media.tv.misc
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2022 12:48:03 +0200
 by: Martin - Tue, 20 Sep 2022 10:48 UTC

On Tue, 20 Sep 2022 00:40:55 +0100, Mike Swift <mike.swift@yeton.co.uk> wrote:

>In article <41egih9kjnkpbacqrfn4jgk90qet2i1jle@4ax.com>, Martin
><me@address.invalid> writes
>>>Very quietly, BBC Four in HD has returned to Freeview after it was axed
>>>to make way for 5G bollocks, no announcements were made about it from
>>>what I noticed. You might need to rescan to add it to your TV. BBC News
>>>HD still has no new slot.
>>
>>BBC 4 only broadcasts repeats thanks to budget being given to BBC 3 that
>>few watch.
>>--
>Indeed, fine if you want to watch fat men dressing as women, and not
>very convincing ones at that.
>
>BBC3 is supposed to be aimed at the younger market yet recent polls have
>shown they watch little TV, work that one out.

That was the reason BBC3 was moved to internet. It seems they don't and didn't
watch it there either. The educate requirement of the charter is more or less
BBC 4 repeats nowadays. I was amazed at how many history programmes I watch
after hating history at school. The only history exam I ever passed was at GCE O
level, thanks to getting a very good new history teacher in the year I did O
levels.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Re: BBC Four HD returns to Freeview

<tgc8jc$1g5ng$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1303&group=uk.media.tv.misc#1303

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.media.tv.misc
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2022 12:17:37 +0100
 by: NY - Tue, 20 Sep 2022 11:17 UTC

"Martin" <me@address.invalid> wrote in message
> On Tue, 20 Sep 2022 00:40:55 +0100, Mike Swift <mike.swift@yeton.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>>In article <41egih9kjnkpbacqrfn4jgk90qet2i1jle@4ax.com>, Martin
>><me@address.invalid> writes
>>>
>>>BBC 4 only broadcasts repeats thanks to budget being given to BBC 3 that
>>>few watch.
>>>--
>>Indeed, fine if you want to watch fat men dressing as women, and not
>>very convincing ones at that.
>>
>>BBC3 is supposed to be aimed at the younger market yet recent polls have
>>shown they watch little TV, work that one out.
>
> That was the reason BBC3 was moved to internet. It seems they don't and
> didn't
> watch it there either. The educate requirement of the charter is more or
> less
> BBC 4 repeats nowadays. I was amazed at how many history programmes I
> watch
> after hating history at school. The only history exam I ever passed was at
> GCE O
> level, thanks to getting a very good new history teacher in the year I
> did O
> levels.

When I changed schools and started a new one in the 4th form (the year
before O levels) history was not part of the syllabus. I had to do Latin
rather than biology because my previous school had made Latin mandatory for
the brighter form and only allowed the less-bright lads to do biology (why?)
and although the new school had no problem, in theory, with me doing
biology, they said I'd missed too much of syllabus (2nd and 3rd forms) for
me to be able to catch up. Grrrrr.

But as far as I know, none of the parallel forms (whether biology or Latin)
did history O level. And yet there was a history teacher - maybe he only
taught A level for those who chose it. Weird. Maybe there was an obscure
scheduling combination which allowed history O level instead of something
else. But I *think* I was with the same group for all subjects so I wasn't
aware of a history opt-out.

The history teacher at my previous school was rather uninspiring. He was
teaching us about the 1700s (William and Mary etc) which is a pretty boring
period, unlike 1500s/1600s with Henry VIII's multiple wives and his disputes
with the Pope, and then the Civil War and the beheading of Charles I and the
Commonwealth (*). But even allowing for a boring period of history, he chose
a particularly uninspired way of testing us. He gave out a Banda sheet with
a list of dates and events (South Sea Bubble, War of Jenkins' Ear etc) which
we had to learn; then for the test he gave out two sheets, one with events
only and one with dates only, and we had to match them up. The teacher we
had in later years would walk around the class dictating notes, and every so
often he'd disappear into the "history prep room" alongside and there would
be strange thrashing noises and his voice would change. No-one ever looked
to see what he was doing in there, but the rumour was that he was
flagellating himself with his cane. He was the one who threatened to "apply
the staff of knowledge to the seat of understanding" - this being a school
which in the mid 1970s still practiced (or at least threatened to use)
corporal punishment.

(*) I'm reading a novel called "London" by Edward Rutherfurd (sic) at the
moment and he has his characters experience the peripheral effects of the
Protestants/Catholics/Puritans problems of the 1500s/1600s: one family that
he follows even boards the Mayflower, bound for America, but they get off in
Plymouth and return to London after the ship has to turn back because
another ship that it is travelling with develops a problem, and the family
are having second thoughts about America.

Re: BBC Four HD returns to Freeview

<b5jlihl24tbses8v58otvenik7seg07dd3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1304&group=uk.media.tv.misc#1304

From: me...@address.invalid (Martin)
Newsgroups: uk.media.tv.misc
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 10:45:39 +0200
 by: Martin - Wed, 21 Sep 2022 08:45 UTC

On Tue, 20 Sep 2022 12:17:37 +0100, "NY" <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:
<snip>

>(*) I'm reading a novel called "London" by Edward Rutherfurd (sic) at the
>moment and he has his characters experience the peripheral effects of the
>Protestants/Catholics/Puritans problems of the 1500s/1600s: one family that
>he follows even boards the Mayflower, bound for America, but they get off in
>Plymouth and return to London after the ship has to turn back because
>another ship that it is travelling with develops a problem, and the family
>are having second thoughts about America.

I' reading rhea new Robert Harris book Act of Oblivion, about the tracking down
and very brutal execution of those who tried and condemned to death Charles 1.
II was completely unaware of these executions. All of those that were caught
were hung drawn and quartered.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Re: BBC Four HD returns to Freeview

<tgemb6$1pqgt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1305&group=uk.media.tv.misc#1305

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.media.tv.misc
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 10:42:42 +0100
 by: NY - Wed, 21 Sep 2022 09:42 UTC

> On Tue, 20 Sep 2022 12:17:37 +0100, "NY" <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:
> <snip>
>
>>(*) I'm reading a novel called "London" by Edward Rutherfurd (sic) at the
>>moment and he has his characters experience the peripheral effects of the
>>Protestants/Catholics/Puritans problems of the 1500s/1600s: one family
>>that
>>he follows even boards the Mayflower, bound for America, but they get off
>>in
>>Plymouth and return to London after the ship has to turn back because
>>another ship that it is travelling with develops a problem, and the family
>>are having second thoughts about America.
>
> I' reading rhea new Robert Harris book Act of Oblivion, about the tracking
> down
> and very brutal execution of those who tried and condemned to death
> Charles 1.
> II was completely unaware of these executions. All of those that were
> caught
> were hung drawn and quartered.

Brutal times. And it is very difficult for a modern person to think like
someone from Charles I's time, when religion was such a dominant part of
everyone's life and it was a matter of life or death a) whether you
worshipped using Protestant or Catholic ceremonies, and b) that you did
actually attend a church - there was no place in their society for atheists
and agnostics :-) It is very easy for a modern person, especially a
confirmed "I have no religious beliefs at all" person like me, to think
"just go to a different church and bear with it, if it saves your life", but
that is naive.

The Charles I problem was partly caused by the king wanting absolute control
over the country to rule it as a divine right, rather than having to ask
parliament when he wanted to bring in more tax money (mostly to fund wars
with other countries which had different views on religion).

One thing that I hadn't appreciated, until I read Rutherfurd's book, was
that although Henry VIII had his well-known disagreements with the Pope
about being able to divorce his wives, he was still a staunch Catholic,
unlike his daughter Elizabeth I.

The Puritans, around the time of Oliver Cromwell, were miserable killjoys.
No theatres, no singing or dancing. In Rutherfurd's book, one of the
characters goes to Massachusetts as part of the general exodus to America,
leaving her husband behind. And when she comes back some time later, her
husband starts to get a bit amorous but she rebuffs him, saying [I
paraphrase] "Those things are only for the conception of children. We are
too old to have children. So we mustn't do them any more." What a killjoy.

Re: BBC Four HD returns to Freeview

<402mih9u809bu1cv3ccu4e0n491255b665@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1306&group=uk.media.tv.misc#1306

From: ste...@easynn.com (Stephen Wolstenholme)
Newsgroups: uk.media.tv.misc
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 13:52:32 +0100
 by: Stephen Wolstenholme - Wed, 21 Sep 2022 12:52 UTC

On Wed, 21 Sep 2022 10:42:42 +0100, "NY" <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:

>The Charles I problem was partly caused by the king wanting absolute control
>over the country to rule it as a divine right, rather than having to ask
>parliament when he wanted to bring in more tax money (mostly to fund wars
>with other countries which had different views on religion).

My mother brought me up thinking that conflicting relegous beliefs
caused wars. That's what she beleaved. I think she was right.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software for Windows http://www.npsnn.com

Re: BBC Four HD returns to Freeview

<Q+q6AIAR7wKjFwGD@ntlworld.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1307&group=uk.media.tv.misc#1307

From: mike.sw...@yeton.co.uk (Mike Swift)
Newsgroups: uk.media.tv.misc
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 14:17:05 +0100
 by: Mike Swift - Wed, 21 Sep 2022 13:17 UTC

In article <402mih9u809bu1cv3ccu4e0n491255b665@4ax.com>, Stephen
Wolstenholme <steve@easynn.com> writes
>>The Charles I problem was partly caused by the king wanting absolute control
>>over the country to rule it as a divine right, rather than having to ask
>>parliament when he wanted to bring in more tax money (mostly to fund wars
>>with other countries which had different views on religion).
>
>My mother brought me up thinking that conflicting relegous beliefs caused
>wars. That's what she beleaved. I think she was right.

Although my parents weren't overly religious I was encouraged as a child
to attend church and Sunday schools which I did with my cousin Mary, she
was 8 years older than me but we were very close.

The church was what then was called High Church, not Catholic but not
far off.

I was 7 when i lost my leg in a road accident but still attended church,
I also attended the infants school run by the church.

A May Day event was organised as I was getting to grips with my tin leg
and a Maypole was set up, all the school, it was only small, practised
dancing round the Maypole, I wasn't asked to take part and when I asked
why not I was told by the vicar, "You only have one leg ."

Even so young I realised religion was a sham and never went to that
church again.

I have attended church so as not to upset people I respect, including my
wife of 50 years on Friday, but don't sing or prey, hypocrite maybe, but
surely that is more Christian than what was said to a 7 year old all
those years ago.

Mike

Yorkshire Halvard Lange

Re: BBC Four HD returns to Freeview

<tgf5ll$1r56a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1308&group=uk.media.tv.misc#1308

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.media.tv.misc
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 15:04:29 +0100
 by: NY - Wed, 21 Sep 2022 14:04 UTC

"Mike Swift" <mike.swift@yeton.co.uk> wrote in message
> I have attended church so as not to upset people I respect, including my
> wife of 50 years on Friday, but don't sing or prey, hypocrite maybe, but
> surely that is more Christian than what was said to a 7 year old all those
> years ago.

Most religious people just pray. The ones who also prey are the ones you've
really got to beware of. ;-)

Re: BBC Four HD returns to Freeview

<tgiulk$17qp$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1309&group=uk.media.tv.misc#1309

From: R.P.Evan...@Sky.com (Richard Evans)
Newsgroups: uk.media.tv.misc
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 01:29:40 +0100
 by: Richard Evans - Fri, 23 Sep 2022 00:29 UTC

On 19/09/2022 19:10, Ar wrote:
> To bring back that brain dead channel BBC Three

Well, BBC3 does seems to be brain dead now.

I seem to remember it was a good channel until a number of years ago
when it want off Freeview. Now it has returned, but without most of the
good programs it used to have.

aus+uk / uk.media.tv.misc / Re: BBC Four HD returns to Freeview