She often gave herself very good advice (though she very seldom followed it). -- Lewis Carroll

aus+uk / uk.legal.moderated / Re: Installation of Electronic Comms equipment Notice

SubjectAuthor
* Installation of Electronic Comms equipment NoticeRobert
+* Re: Installation of Electronic Comms equipment NoticeRoger Hayter
|`* Re: Installation of Electronic Comms equipment NoticeDavid
| `- Re: Installation of Electronic Comms equipment NoticeRoger Hayter
`* Re: Installation of Electronic Comms equipment NoticeBrian
 +- Re: Installation of Electronic Comms equipment NoticeRobert
 `- Re: Installation of Electronic Comms equipment NoticeRoland Perry

1
Installation of Electronic Comms equipment Notice

<l1t5h0FjekfU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13342&group=uk.legal.moderated#13342

From: rob...@invalid.invalid (Robert)
Newsgroups: uk.legal.moderated
Subject: Installation of Electronic Comms equipment Notice
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 20:46:24 +0000
=NOYJ
Originator: webstump@chiark.greenend.org.uk ([212.13.197.229])
 by: Robert - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 20:46 UTC

A notice has been posted near to my house notifying the owners of land,
which includes my driveway and garden, that in line with Schedule 3A of
the Telecomms Act 2003 that a Fibre Network company intends to "install
communications equipment on the land".

The notice gives me 28 days to contact their agent to "indicate whether
you are prepared to enter into a written agreement under the Code"
It then says " If you take no action ....Networks will carry out the
works to install ...the equipment"

My understanding is that the operator needs written permission from the
landowner to install the equipment but that if that is not forthcoming
it needs to go to Court/Tribunal to obtain this.

I did not think it has the right , at least for residential gardens, to
just go ahead and install the equipment if the landowner fails to make
contact within 28 days.

Am I correct in this interpretation of Schedule 3A ?

None of this may be an issue as it could just be installing a new duct
to an existing telecoms pole, but they be wanting to install a new or
additional pole which could cause access issues for several properties.

I am not sure why they have not made direct contact with the householder
affected , the land is defined in the format of "land to the rear of
##,##,## Any Street, Anytown." and is clearly shown on the Land Registry
Maps.

Re: Installation of Electronic Comms equipment Notice

<l1t73dFjrv3U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13343&group=uk.legal.moderated#13343

From: rog...@hayter.org (Roger Hayter)
Newsgroups: uk.legal.moderated
Date: 30 Jan 2024 21:13:17 GMT
=aoe7
Originator: webstump@chiark.greenend.org.uk ([212.13.197.229])
 by: Roger Hayter - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 21:13 UTC

On 30 Jan 2024 at 20:46:24 GMT, "Robert" <robert@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> A notice has been posted near to my house notifying the owners of land,
> which includes my driveway and garden, that in line with Schedule 3A of
> the Telecomms Act 2003 that a Fibre Network company intends to "install
> communications equipment on the land".
>
> The notice gives me 28 days to contact their agent to "indicate whether
> you are prepared to enter into a written agreement under the Code"
> It then says " If you take no action ....Networks will carry out the
> works to install ...the equipment"
>
> My understanding is that the operator needs written permission from the
> landowner to install the equipment but that if that is not forthcoming
> it needs to go to Court/Tribunal to obtain this.
>
> I did not think it has the right , at least for residential gardens, to
> just go ahead and install the equipment if the landowner fails to make
> contact within 28 days.
>
> Am I correct in this interpretation of Schedule 3A ?
>
> None of this may be an issue as it could just be installing a new duct
> to an existing telecoms pole, but they be wanting to install a new or
> additional pole which could cause access issues for several properties.
>
> I am not sure why they have not made direct contact with the householder
> affected , the land is defined in the format of "land to the rear of
> ##,##,## Any Street, Anytown." and is clearly shown on the Land Registry
> Maps.

Ofcom's Telecommunitations Code 2017 would seem to confirm that this remains
the case.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/information-for-industry/policy/electronic-comm-code

However, unless there is a good reason to object to the plan, opposing it is
likely to be both expensive and unsuccessful. Also, it may not take them very
long to get a court hearing.

In practice, negotiation to avoid problems is likely to be more useful.

--

Roger Hayter

Re: Installation of Electronic Comms equipment Notice

<l2cfbpFhr8rU14@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13527&group=uk.legal.moderated#13527

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.legal.moderated
Date: 5 Feb 2024 16:06:17 GMT
=Ss0O
Originator: webstump@chiark.greenend.org.uk ([212.13.197.229])
 by: David - Mon, 5 Feb 2024 16:06 UTC

On Tue, 30 Jan 2024 21:13:17 +0000, Roger Hayter wrote:

> On 30 Jan 2024 at 20:46:24 GMT, "Robert" <robert@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> A notice has been posted near to my house notifying the owners of land,
>> which includes my driveway and garden, that in line with Schedule 3A of
>> the Telecomms Act 2003 that a Fibre Network company intends to "install
>> communications equipment on the land".
>>
>> The notice gives me 28 days to contact their agent to "indicate whether
>> you are prepared to enter into a written agreement under the Code"
>> It then says " If you take no action ....Networks will carry out the
>> works to install ...the equipment"
>>
>> My understanding is that the operator needs written permission from the
>> landowner to install the equipment but that if that is not forthcoming
>> it needs to go to Court/Tribunal to obtain this.
>>
>> I did not think it has the right , at least for residential gardens, to
>> just go ahead and install the equipment if the landowner fails to make
>> contact within 28 days.
>>
>> Am I correct in this interpretation of Schedule 3A ?
>>
>> None of this may be an issue as it could just be installing a new duct
>> to an existing telecoms pole, but they be wanting to install a new or
>> additional pole which could cause access issues for several properties.
>>
>> I am not sure why they have not made direct contact with the
>> householder affected , the land is defined in the format of "land to
>> the rear of ##,##,## Any Street, Anytown." and is clearly shown on the
>> Land Registry Maps.
>
> Ofcom's Telecommunitations Code 2017 would seem to confirm that this
> remains the case.
>
> https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/information-for-
industry/policy/electronic-comm-code

> However, unless there is a good reason to object to the plan, opposing
> it is likely to be both expensive and unsuccessful. Also, it may not
> take them very long to get a court hearing.
>

> In practice, negotiation to avoid problems is likely to be more useful.

A bit of a mess if you happen to be away on holiday for more than 28 days,
I would have thought.

Say 6 weeks in Portugal over the winter, or 6 weeks in Scotland in a Motor
Home over summer, or even on a cruise.

Very easy to speculate on all sorts of reasons to be away from your
residence for more than 28 days.

It all seems very dubious.

Cheers

Dave R

--
AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 10 x64

Re: Installation of Electronic Comms equipment Notice

<l2cu54FfjpgU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13532&group=uk.legal.moderated#13532

From: rog...@hayter.org (Roger Hayter)
Newsgroups: uk.legal.moderated
Date: 5 Feb 2024 20:18:44 GMT
=F3oP
Originator: webstump@chiark.greenend.org.uk ([212.13.197.229])
 by: Roger Hayter - Mon, 5 Feb 2024 20:18 UTC

On 5 Feb 2024 at 16:06:17 GMT, "David" <wibble@btinternet.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Jan 2024 21:13:17 +0000, Roger Hayter wrote:
>
>> On 30 Jan 2024 at 20:46:24 GMT, "Robert" <robert@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> A notice has been posted near to my house notifying the owners of land,
>>> which includes my driveway and garden, that in line with Schedule 3A of
>>> the Telecomms Act 2003 that a Fibre Network company intends to "install
>>> communications equipment on the land".
>>>
>>> The notice gives me 28 days to contact their agent to "indicate whether
>>> you are prepared to enter into a written agreement under the Code"
>>> It then says " If you take no action ....Networks will carry out the
>>> works to install ...the equipment"
>>>
>>> My understanding is that the operator needs written permission from the
>>> landowner to install the equipment but that if that is not forthcoming
>>> it needs to go to Court/Tribunal to obtain this.
>>>
>>> I did not think it has the right , at least for residential gardens, to
>>> just go ahead and install the equipment if the landowner fails to make
>>> contact within 28 days.
>>>
>>> Am I correct in this interpretation of Schedule 3A ?
>>>
>>> None of this may be an issue as it could just be installing a new duct
>>> to an existing telecoms pole, but they be wanting to install a new or
>>> additional pole which could cause access issues for several properties.
>>>
>>> I am not sure why they have not made direct contact with the
>>> householder affected , the land is defined in the format of "land to
>>> the rear of ##,##,## Any Street, Anytown." and is clearly shown on the
>>> Land Registry Maps.
>>
>> Ofcom's Telecommunitations Code 2017 would seem to confirm that this
>> remains the case.
>>
>> https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/information-for-
> industry/policy/electronic-comm-code
>>
>> However, unless there is a good reason to object to the plan, opposing
>> it is likely to be both expensive and unsuccessful. Also, it may not
>> take them very long to get a court hearing.
>>

>> In practice, negotiation to avoid problems is likely to be more useful.
>
> A bit of a mess if you happen to be away on holiday for more than 28 days,
> I would have thought.
>
> Say 6 weeks in Portugal over the winter, or 6 weeks in Scotland in a Motor
> Home over summer, or even on a cruise.
>
> Very easy to speculate on all sorts of reasons to be away from your
> residence for more than 28 days.
>
> It all seems very dubious.
>
> Cheers
>

> Dave R

If the law had not been so, the painfully slow connection of the whole country
to the PSTN by the GPO over a century of so would have taken several millennia
where every yard of wire and every pole was disputed and negotiated.

--
Roger Hayter

Re: Installation of Electronic Comms equipment Notice

<uqo342$3ua12$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13976&group=uk.legal.moderated#13976

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.legal.moderated
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2024 16:39:30 -0000 (UTC)
=kIzZ
Originator: webstump@chiark.greenend.org.uk ([212.13.197.229])
 by: Brian - Fri, 16 Feb 2024 16:39 UTC

Robert <robert@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> A notice has been posted near to my house notifying the owners of land,
> which includes my driveway and garden, that in line with Schedule 3A of
> the Telecomms Act 2003 that a Fibre Network company intends to "install
> communications equipment on the land".
>
> The notice gives me 28 days to contact their agent to "indicate whether
> you are prepared to enter into a written agreement under the Code"
> It then says " If you take no action ....Networks will carry out the
> works to install ...the equipment"
>
> My understanding is that the operator needs written permission from the
> landowner to install the equipment but that if that is not forthcoming
> it needs to go to Court/Tribunal to obtain this.
>
> I did not think it has the right , at least for residential gardens, to
> just go ahead and install the equipment if the landowner fails to make
> contact within 28 days.
>
> Am I correct in this interpretation of Schedule 3A ?
>
> None of this may be an issue as it could just be installing a new duct
> to an existing telecoms pole, but they be wanting to install a new or
> additional pole which could cause access issues for several properties.
>
> I am not sure why they have not made direct contact with the householder
> affected , the land is defined in the format of "land to the rear of
> ##,##,## Any Street, Anytown." and is clearly shown on the Land Registry
> Maps.

Being pedantic, is it certain they intend to install equipment on your land
or simply near it?

I suspect the devil is in the detail.

For example.

The phone lines etc in our road are on poles. I suspect they were installed
long before many of the houses were built. Certainly before ours by
decades. Open Reach have made various changes - fibre etc- all without any
consultation ( not that I object). The poles run down the edge of the road,
possibly in an area which was originally not in peoples gardens, but over
the years fences have moved etc. Some years back ( 20?) a previous
neighbour who had a pole in an inconvenient place, requested it to be
moved. This was done. I don’t know who paid. (We don’t have one, although
it is now on our boundary, not that we mind.)

Obviously, there are various wires / fibre optic cables to the properties
which go from the poles. I’ve never heard of anyone objecting.

Oddly, even though the power lines are overhead, the suppliers to the
houses aren’t, at least in most cases.

Nor are there any service boxes in the road. Or, if there are, they are
VERY well hidden.

Re: Installation of Electronic Comms equipment Notice

<l3bg05FgmjU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13987&group=uk.legal.moderated#13987

From: rob...@invalid.invalid (Robert)
Newsgroups: uk.legal.moderated
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2024 10:27:18 +0000
=ZFVp
Originator: webstump@chiark.greenend.org.uk ([212.13.197.229])
 by: Robert - Sat, 17 Feb 2024 10:27 UTC

On 16/02/2024 16:39, Brian wrote:
> Robert <robert@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> A notice has been posted near to my house notifying the owners of land,
>> which includes my driveway and garden, that in line with Schedule 3A of
>> the Telecomms Act 2003 that a Fibre Network company intends to "install
>> communications equipment on the land".
>>
>> The notice gives me 28 days to contact their agent to "indicate whether
>> you are prepared to enter into a written agreement under the Code"
>> It then says " If you take no action ....Networks will carry out the
>> works to install ...the equipment"
>>
>> My understanding is that the operator needs written permission from the
>> landowner to install the equipment but that if that is not forthcoming
>> it needs to go to Court/Tribunal to obtain this.
>>
>> I did not think it has the right , at least for residential gardens, to
>> just go ahead and install the equipment if the landowner fails to make
>> contact within 28 days.
>>
>> Am I correct in this interpretation of Schedule 3A ?
>>
>> None of this may be an issue as it could just be installing a new duct
>> to an existing telecoms pole, but they be wanting to install a new or
>> additional pole which could cause access issues for several properties.
>>
>> I am not sure why they have not made direct contact with the householder
>> affected , the land is defined in the format of "land to the rear of
>> ##,##,## Any Street, Anytown." and is clearly shown on the Land Registry
>> Maps.
>>

> Being pedantic, is it certain they intend to install equipment on your land
> or simply near it?
>
> I suspect the devil is in the detail.
>
> For example.
>
> The phone lines etc in our road are on poles. I suspect they were installed
> long before many of the houses were built. Certainly before ours by
> decades. Open Reach have made various changes - fibre etc- all without any
> consultation ( not that I object). The poles run down the edge of the road,
> possibly in an area which was originally not in peoples gardens, but over
> the years fences have moved etc. Some years back ( 20?) a previous
> neighbour who had a pole in an inconvenient place, requested it to be
> moved. This was done. I don’t know who paid. (We don’t have one, although
> it is now on our boundary, not that we mind.)
>
> Obviously, there are various wires / fibre optic cables to the properties
> which go from the poles. I’ve never heard of anyone objecting.
>
> Oddly, even though the power lines are overhead, the suppliers to the
> houses aren’t, at least in most cases.
>
> Nor are there any service boxes in the road. Or, if there are, they are
> VERY well hidden.

Have eventually made contact.
They posted a Notice nearby as some of the land affected was Not
Registered. This is correct one of the houses and land has not changed
hands for a long time.
They are considering putting a service box underground in the access
lane which is actually owned at that point by the unregistered property.

The Fibre company view, probably correct,was that if the land was not
registered they did not to have permission to do this once notice had
been given.
Dont think there will actually be any problems as long as they dont hit
any of the drains etc. or close the access lane for too long.

Re: Installation of Electronic Comms equipment Notice

<bJAuXgbs453lFA1U@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14656&group=uk.legal.moderated#14656

From: rol...@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.legal.moderated
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 20:57:16 +0000
=by6v
Originator: webstump@chiark.greenend.org.uk ([212.13.197.229])
 by: Roland Perry - Wed, 28 Feb 2024 20:57 UTC

In message <uqo342$3ua12$1@dont-email.me>, at 16:39:30 on Fri, 16 Feb
2024, Brian <noinv@lid.org> remarked:

>Oddly, even though the power lines

Power lines, aren't we talking about telecoms?

>are overhead, the suppliers to the houses aren’t, at least in most
>cases.
>
>Nor are there any service boxes in the road. Or, if there are, they are
>VERY well hidden.

They will be under manhole covers in the *pavement*.
--
Roland Perry

aus+uk / uk.legal.moderated / Re: Installation of Electronic Comms equipment Notice