From: JNugen...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Pedestrian, 81, killed by speeding chav on a chav-bike in Regent's
Park
Date: Sun, 5 May 2024 02:03:15 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sun, 5 May 2024 01:03 UTC

<https://tinyurl.com/5n6shaww>

QUOTE:
A cyclist who knocked down a pensioner and killed her after speeding in
a 20mph zone has been let off without conviction.

Brian Fitzgerald, a vice president at Credit Suisse, avoided prosecution
after a court heard that speed limits did not apply the same way to
cyclists as motorists.

Mr Fitzgerald was doing timed laps of Regent's Park, London as part of a
group when he smashed into Hilda Griffiths, 81 while she was crossing
the road with her dog at 7am on a Saturday in June 2022.

[ ... ]

Ms Griffiths's son Gerard called on existing laws allowing cyclists to
ignore speed limits to be updated and said his mother had been killed by
a 'culture of cycling', adding the outer circle of Regent's Park had
become a 'velodrome'.
ENDQUOTE

"culture" of cycling?

"vulture" would be more accurate.

Re: Pedestrian, 81, killed by speeding chav on a chav-bike in Regent's Park

<l9oum5FqbgnU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35398&group=uk.rec.cycling#35398

From: aero.sp...@mail.com (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Pedestrian, 81, killed by speeding chav on a chav-bike
in Regent's Park
Date: 5 May 2024 08:35:17 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 5 May 2024 08:35 UTC

JNugent <JNugent73@mail.com> wrote:
> <https://tinyurl.com/5n6shaww>
>
> QUOTE:
> A cyclist who knocked down a pensioner and killed her after speeding in
> a 20mph zone has been let off without conviction.
>
> Brian Fitzgerald, a vice president at Credit Suisse, avoided prosecution
> after a court heard that speed limits did not apply the same way to
> cyclists as motorists.
>
> Mr Fitzgerald was doing timed laps of Regent's Park, London as part of a
> group when he smashed into Hilda Griffiths, 81 while she was crossing
> the road with her dog at 7am on a Saturday in June 2022.
>
> [ ... ]
>
> Ms Griffiths's son Gerard called on existing laws allowing cyclists to
> ignore speed limits to be updated and said his mother had been killed by
> a 'culture of cycling', adding the outer circle of Regent's Park had
> become a 'velodrome'.
> ENDQUOTE
>
> "culture" of cycling?
>
> "vulture" would be more accurate.

This is another stain on the law and its enforcement.

Cyclists killing people and suffering no or minor sanctions is simply
wrong. How long is it going to take to deal with this injustice?

And…what is the difference between ‘timed laps on public roads’ and ‘riding
furiously’, that the latter law wasn’t invoked in this case?

--
Spike

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Pedestrian, 81, killed by speeding chav on a chav-bike in Regent's Park