Paul's Law: You can't fall off the floor.

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Re: Looking as though I might need a new TV - 4K Freeview/Freesat?

SubjectAuthor
* Looking as though I might need a new TV - 4K Freeview/Freesat?David
+- Re: Looking as though I might need a new TV - 4K Freeview/Freesat?Andy Burns
+* Re: Looking as though I might need a new TV - 4K Freeview/Freesat?alan_m
|`- Re: Looking as though I might need a new TV - 4K Freeview/Freesat?Andrew
+* Re: Looking as though I might need a new TV - 4K Freeview/Freesat?R. Mark Clayton
|`* Re: Looking as though I might need a new TV - 4K Freeview/Freesat?Tony Gamble
| `- Re: Looking as though I might need a new TV - 4K Freeview/Freesat?Unsteadyken
`* Re: Looking as though I might need a new TV - 4K Freeview/Freesat?Adrian Caspersz
 `* Re: Looking as though I might need a new TV - 4K Freeview/Freesat?alan_m
  `* Re: Looking as though I might need a new TV - 4K Freeview/Freesat?R. Mark Clayton
   `* Re: Looking as though I might need a new TV - 4K Freeview/Freesat?alan_m
    `- Re: Looking as though I might need a new TV - 4K Freeview/Freesat?R. Mark Clayton

1
Looking as though I might need a new TV - 4K Freeview/Freesat?

<k61cq7Fle8kU5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39970&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#39970

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Looking as though I might need a new TV - 4K Freeview/Freesat?
Date: 26 Feb 2023 15:39:51 GMT
 by: David - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 15:39 UTC

Long and complicated story which I won't bore you with.

Anyway I am in the market for a new TV of about 40" (perhaps more).

Most these days seem to be 4K.

Is there much 4K content on FreeView and FreeSat these days?

All the content at the chosen location will be free to air, (although I
suppose there could be network content).

As an aside we are thinking of ditching Virgin Media Tivo because we now
get most of our content over the Internet.

So should I focus on streaming not free to air?

Oh, and I would still need a PVR - are there any good FreeSat PVRs which
do 4K?
Assuming of course positive responses re 4K over FreeSat!

Cheers

Dave R

Re: Looking as though I might need a new TV - 4K Freeview/Freesat?

<k61db7F2pudU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39972&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#39972

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 15:48:53 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 15:48 UTC

David wrote:

> Is there much 4K content on FreeView and FreeSat these days?

None on freeview, and all that I see on satellite is technically not on
freesat, just a couple of Astra and SES UHD demo channels which are FTV.

Re: Looking as though I might need a new TV - 4K Freeview/Freesat?

<k61i9fF3245U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39973&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#39973

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 17:13:20 +0000
 by: alan_m - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 17:13 UTC

On 26/02/2023 15:39, David wrote:
> Long and complicated story which I won't bore you with.
>
> Anyway I am in the market for a new TV of about 40" (perhaps more).
>
> Most these days seem to be 4K.
>
> Is there much 4K content on FreeView and FreeSat these days?

None. Although I doubt if you will find a TV from any of the main
manufactures that isn't 4K.

> Oh, and I would still need a PVR - are there any good FreeSat PVRs which
> do 4K?

Although not Freesat branded devices look at Enigma 2 boxes running
Openvix. Even cheap Enigma 2 boxes now support 4K and adding a hard
disk make it a full functioning PVR. Depending on the box the HDD can be
fitted internally and for the physically small boxes an external USB
hard disk. The boxes have network capabilities.

https://www.openvix.co.uk/

Openvix has very good support for UK Freeview and Freesat

https://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php/guides-and-tutorials/video-guides/

Boxes -
https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/satellite-and-terrestrial/digital-receivers
Note: not all the boxes are Enigma 2 but a lot (most) of them are

Possibly not a box for those without some basic technical ability.

Openvix has an active user forum with most of the developers of Openvix
participating. Openvix is user written software but is mature and with
regular updates.
https://www.world-of-satellite.com/forum.php

I've been using OpenVix since 2014 on an Enigma2 receiver/PVR that has
both terrestrial and satellite tuners for all Freeview and Freesat
channels with the 7 day EGP received over the air.

Re: Looking as though I might need a new TV - 4K Freeview/Freesat?

<ttg61u$2vbv8$9@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39974&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#39974

From: Andrew...@btinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 17:48:45 +0000
 by: Andrew - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 17:48 UTC

On 26/02/2023 17:13, alan_m wrote:
> On 26/02/2023 15:39, David wrote:
>> Long and complicated story which I won't bore you with.
>>
>> Anyway I am in the market for a new TV of about 40" (perhaps more).
>>
>> Most these days seem to be 4K.
>>
>> Is there much 4K content on FreeView and FreeSat these days?
>
> None. Although I doubt if you will find a TV from any of the main
> manufactures that isn't 4K.

Samsung, TCL, JVC, Hisense, Cello and a few more still make
FHD 40 inch TV's

https://www.techradar.com/news/best-40-inch-tv

Re: Looking as though I might need a new TV - 4K Freeview/Freesat?

<13881844-1b0d-4161-925e-4e49064bcca8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39975&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#39975

Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 09:56:35 -0800 (PST)
From: notyalck...@gmail.com (R. Mark Clayton)
 by: R. Mark Clayton - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 17:56 UTC

On Sunday, 26 February 2023 at 15:39:53 UTC, David wrote:
> Long and complicated story which I won't bore you with.
>
> Anyway I am in the market for a new TV of about 40" (perhaps more).
>
> Most these days seem to be 4K.
>
> Is there much 4K content on FreeView and FreeSat these days?
>
> All the content at the chosen location will be free to air, (although I
> suppose there could be network content).
>
> As an aside we are thinking of ditching Virgin Media Tivo because we now
> get most of our content over the Internet.
>
> So should I focus on streaming not free to air?
>
> Oh, and I would still need a PVR - are there any good FreeSat PVRs which
> do 4K?
> Assuming of course positive responses re 4K over FreeSat!
>
> Cheers

$ky do 4k over satellite, but you have to pay.

Quite a lot of 4k content free on YouTube.

> Dave R
>
> --
> AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 7 Pro x64

Re: Looking as though I might need a new TV - 4K Freeview/Freesat?

<k63f31Fcdc6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39978&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#39978

From: tonygam...@compuserve.com (Tony Gamble)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 10:30:57 +0000
 by: Tony Gamble - Mon, 27 Feb 2023 10:30 UTC

> $ky do 4k over satellite, but you have to pay.
>
> Quite a lot of 4k content free on YouTube.

4k on iPlayer from time to time.

Gold - for example.

Re: Looking as though I might need a new TV - 4K Freeview/Freesat?

<k63l25Fdac8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39979&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#39979

From: ema...@here.invalid (Adrian Caspersz)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 12:12:52 +0000
 by: Adrian Caspersz - Mon, 27 Feb 2023 12:12 UTC

On 26/02/2023 15:39, David wrote:
> Long and complicated story which I won't bore you with.
>
> Anyway I am in the market for a new TV of about 40" (perhaps more).
>
> Most these days seem to be 4K.

My pipe dream ...

Say, I've got the typical post-70s layout of a living room, where the TV
is sat in a corner - instead of dominating the whole space square-on as
a cinema screen.

That TV is a 43-inch widescreen, and fits as standardly orientated -
landscape.

Having funny thoughts of replacing it with a larger 4K screen, but
orientated portrait - and run from a PC rendering multiple views of
different things at the same time?

Many things become possible then. Mostly consuming stuff which is not
just one TV channel. I can track eBay or some stock, or have a constant
heads up on breaking news or CCTV of the animal life outside.

43-inch at 4K at a normal TV viewing distance is no difference to 1080,
my only personal justification for having 4K on such a set is it ye use
it closer for displaying multiple application windows with a computer,
or ye are editing video of that resolution or higher.

--
Adrian C

Re: Looking as though I might need a new TV - 4K Freeview/Freesat?

<MPG.3e66b3a4bd6ddc089897f1@News.Individual.NET>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39980&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#39980

From: unsteady...@gmail.com (Unsteadyken)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 12:34:18 -0000
 by: Unsteadyken - Mon, 27 Feb 2023 12:34 UTC

In article <k63f31Fcdc6U1@mid.individual.net>,
Tony Gamble says...

> 4k on iPlayer from time to time.
>
> Gold - for example.

Search iPlayer for UHD and you will find all sorts of stuff.

Re: Looking as though I might need a new TV - 4K Freeview/Freesat?

<k63mfpFdc3aU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39981&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#39981

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 12:37:13 +0000
 by: alan_m - Mon, 27 Feb 2023 12:37 UTC

On 27/02/2023 12:12, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

> Say, I've got the typical post-70s layout of a living room, where the TV
> is sat in a corner - instead of dominating the whole space square-on as
> a cinema screen.

My mother at first resisted having a 40 inch flat screen as it was "too
large" for the room. With the aid of a bit of cardboard cut to the size
of a flat screen TV she was persuaded that it was actually smaller than
the front of her 21 inch CRT set which not only had a large speaker
grill but a large area on the front for all the control knobs and
buttons and bezel surrounding the CRT of a 2 to 3 inches.
The CRT set also had to be set out from the corner owing to the depth of
the CRT set. The replacement 40 inch flat panel actually fitted into the
corner a bit further back.

Re: Looking as though I might need a new TV - 4K Freeview/Freesat?

<d9e1faa0-b721-4de2-8b05-9af8decf96a7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39983&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#39983

Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 08:19:06 -0800 (PST)
From: notyalck...@gmail.com (R. Mark Clayton)
 by: R. Mark Clayton - Mon, 27 Feb 2023 16:19 UTC

On Monday, 27 February 2023 at 12:37:14 UTC, alan_m wrote:
> On 27/02/2023 12:12, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
>
> > Say, I've got the typical post-70s layout of a living room, where the TV
> > is sat in a corner - instead of dominating the whole space square-on as
> > a cinema screen.
> My mother at first resisted having a 40 inch flat screen as it was "too
> large" for the room. With the aid of a bit of cardboard cut to the size
> of a flat screen TV she was persuaded that it was actually smaller than
> the front of her 21 inch CRT set which not only had a large speaker
> grill but a large area on the front for all the control knobs and
> buttons and bezel surrounding the CRT of a 2 to 3 inches.
> The CRT set also had to be set out from the corner owing to the depth of
> the CRT set. The replacement 40 inch flat panel actually fitted into the
> corner a bit further back.
> --
> mailto : news {at} admac {dot} myzen {dot} co {dot} uk

When we first went to flat screen (as our TV area went digital 2009) we looked it all up, trialed cut outs and settled on a 42" screen. More recent viewing distance guides give much larger screen sizes for the same distance.

The 42" was pretty good, but having seen larger screens elsewhere, when we upgraded to 4k 2018 we opted for a 55" screen. At our normal viewing distance (~3.5m) this is fine and one can easily distinguish 4k from full HD. We can also see it easily from our dining area (~8m), but at that range can't "see" the higher resolution.

I use three off 28" 4k monitors on my desk, although normally only one unless needed for Zoom, multiple spread sheets or similar.

Re: Looking as though I might need a new TV - 4K Freeview/Freesat?

<k646g9Ffrq8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39984&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#39984

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 17:10:33 +0000
 by: alan_m - Mon, 27 Feb 2023 17:10 UTC

On 27/02/2023 16:19, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

> The 42" was pretty good, but having seen larger screens elsewhere, when we upgraded to 4k 2018 we opted for a 55" screen.

Almost the same as I've done, and in the same timescale.
Initially 40 inch and in the past few years a 55 inch screen. What I
noticed most was the improvement in the overall quality of the picture
especially in normal daylight viewing conditions (QLED).

Although the 55 inch is bigger than the 43 inch the overall size not by
much. My 40 had a very wide bezel whereas my 55 inch has a thin
minimalist bezel

Re: Looking as though I might need a new TV - 4K Freeview/Freesat?

<7c6a6387-72e4-427e-8c34-d577133f86d3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39985&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#39985

Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2023 05:08:37 -0800 (PST)
From: notyalck...@gmail.com (R. Mark Clayton)
 by: R. Mark Clayton - Tue, 28 Feb 2023 13:08 UTC

On Monday, 27 February 2023 at 17:10:36 UTC, alan_m wrote:
> On 27/02/2023 16:19, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
>

> > The 42" was pretty good, but having seen larger screens elsewhere, when we upgraded to 4k 2018 we opted for a 55" screen.
> Almost the same as I've done, and in the same timescale.
> Initially 40 inch and in the past few years a 55 inch screen. What I
> noticed most was the improvement in the overall quality of the picture
> especially in normal daylight viewing conditions (QLED).
>
> Although the 55 inch is bigger than the 43 inch the overall size not by
> much. My 40 had a very wide bezel whereas my 55 inch has a thin
> minimalist bezel
> --
> mailto : news {at} admac {dot} myzen {dot} co {dot} uk

Very similar. My first was an LG 42FF7700, which did not have freeview HD, but did have Freesat. Amazingly I managed to sell it to an acquaintance who was after a TV for £70. He lived in sheltered accommodation and so I set it up for him. As it happened there was CT100 cable with an F-Connector sticking out of the wall, and when I connected it - lo and behold hundreds of channels :-)

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Re: Looking as though I might need a new TV - 4K Freeview/Freesat?