From: Mike.Eas...@f1.n221.z2.fidonet.fi (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: while loop taking input from file via iconv
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2021 22:05:33 +0200
 by: Mike Easter - Sat, 14 Aug 2021 20:05 UTC

sf9afk$q7c$1@dont-email.me>
Martin Gregorie wrote:
> If the student is capable of using command lines on another system,
> then something like 'Linux in a Nutshell' may be helpful, but that's
> about the only decent book I know unless there's a 'Linux for
> Dummies' available and they're not put off by the title.

In my graphically-oriented opinion as a 'longtime intermediate' (I used
to call myself an advanced intermediate until I came to realize that
advanced /time/ as an intermediate doesn't actually make one
'advanced'), part of the 'problem' (in one sense) is the aspect that JOA
expressed earlier, that modern linux is sufficiently graphically
oriented nowadays that it isn't 'imperative' that the inexperienced
become very knowledgeable about 'everything' (euphemistically) about the
infrastructure and commands including their options and syntax.

They can 'get by' w/o knowing much of that; except sometimes (I say/IMO).

But, it is a LOT better the more one knows, so it is worth staying on
the learning curve. The experienced have a *lot* easier time of it; one
of my favorite examples of command line insights is the business of
tab-completion. The noob doesn't know that; but even the 'early'
intermediate has already found that out.

--
Mike Easter

aus+uk / uk.comp.os.linux / Re: while loop taking input from file via iconv