From: ldo...@nz.invalid (Lawrence D'Oliveiro)
Newsgroups: nz.general
Subject: Teaching An Asian About Racism
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 21:29:24 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lawrence D'Oliv - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 21:29 UTC

This article amused me. An Asian got told off by her employer for
putting on a “fake Asian accent” in a Tiktok video
<https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/ray-white-real-estate-agent-linh-yee-warned-after-using-fake-asian-accent-in-sales-pitch/EHMDQKOLORHW7KZ6LKWPIKMM34/>.

As if there is such a thing as an “Asian accent”: you realize that
what is called “Asia” is probably the most culturally diverse of all
the continents? (And which sort was she, anyway?)

The writer exposes an interesting unconscious bias in their choice of
phrase “While Yee spoke fluently...”. As if having an accent is somehow
not being “fluent”.

Re: Teaching An Asian About Racism

<l5ckm9FfjsnU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5613&group=nz.general#5613

From: Gor...@leaf.net.nz (Gordon)
Newsgroups: nz.general
Subject: Re: Teaching An Asian About Racism
Date: 13 Mar 2024 03:26:01 GMT
 by: Gordon - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 03:26 UTC

On 2024-03-12, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo@nz.invalid> wrote:
> This article amused me. An Asian got told off by her employer for
> putting on a “fake Asian accent” in a Tiktok video
><https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/ray-white-real-estate-agent-linh-yee-warned-after-using-fake-asian-accent-in-sales-pitch/EHMDQKOLORHW7KZ6LKWPIKMM34/>.
>
> As if there is such a thing as an “Asian accent”: you realize that
> what is called “Asia” is probably the most culturally diverse of all
> the continents? (And which sort was she, anyway?)
>
> The writer exposes an interesting unconscious bias in their choice of
> phrase “While Yee spoke fluently...”. As if having an accent is somehow
> not being “fluent”.

Being of Asian decent it allow her to take the micky out of herself. Good on
her for not taking herself seriously.

Re: Teaching An Asian About Racism

<17bcaf5b5f6b3bc2$295$1503474$12d55865@news.newsdemon.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5626&group=nz.general#5626

From: no_s...@gmail.com (Ras Mikaere)
Newsgroups: nz.general
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 06:46:04 -1000
 by: Ras Mikaere - Thu, 14 Mar 2024 16:46 UTC

GLAD THAT TIKTOK IS GETTING BANNED IN U.S.A.
SO GET A CLUE FUKWIT "kiwis".

"Lawrence D'Oliveiro" wrote in message news:usqhfk$gpvk$1@dont-email.me...

This article amused me. An Asian got told off by her employer for
putting on a “fake Asian accent” in a Tiktok video
<https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/ray-white-real-estate-agent-linh-yee-warned-after-using-fake-asian-accent-in-sales-pitch/EHMDQKOLORHW7KZ6LKWPIKMM34/>.

As if there is such a thing as an “Asian accent”: you realize that
what is called “Asia” is probably the most culturally diverse of all
the continents? (And which sort was she, anyway?)

The writer exposes an interesting unconscious bias in their choice of
phrase “While Yee spoke fluently...”. As if having an accent is somehow
not being “fluent”.

aus+uk / nz.general / Teaching An Asian About Racism