Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2024 19:37:25 +0000
Subject: Debugging Advice
From: tinker...@gmail.com (tinker123)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
 by: tinker123 - Sun, 28 Apr 2024 19:37 UTC

Mint 21.2 Victoria
Cinnamon 5.8
Intel© Core™ i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz × 6
Graphics Card: NVIDIA Corporation GP107 [GeForce GTX 1050]
Mother board: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. PRIME Z370-P Rev X.0x

I like to leave my PC running.

About every two days the audio goes out until I reboot the PC.

Given that long length of time I'm thinking it would be hard to debug this issue.

I would have to wait 2 days to report back whether or not something worked.

I am also wondering if whatever problem it is that only every two days if I would have the power to fix it without hacking a kernel ( I can't ).

If it were worthwhile to debug this issue, what sort of information would I gather and when?

Happy Sunday

Stevde

Re: Debugging Advice

<v0mbju$188h6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13426&group=comp.os.linux.misc#13426

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Debugging Advice
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2024 21:29:50 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sun, 28 Apr 2024 20:29 UTC

On 28/04/2024 20:37, tinker123 wrote:
> Mint 21.2 Victoria
> Cinnamon 5.8
> Intel© Core™ i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz × 6
> Graphics Card: NVIDIA Corporation GP107 [GeForce GTX 1050]
> Mother board: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. PRIME Z370-P Rev X.0x
>
> I like to leave my PC running.
>
> About every two days the audio goes out until I reboot the PC.
>
> Given that long length of time I'm thinking it would be hard to debug
> this issue.
>
> I would have to wait 2 days to report back whether or not something worked.
>
> I am also wondering if whatever problem it is that only every two days
> if I would have the power to fix it without hacking a kernel ( I can't ).
>
> If it were worthwhile to debug this issue, what sort of information
> would I gather and when?
>
> Happy Sunday
>
> Stevde

I've been running Mint for years and I haven't had this problem with a
vanilla install.
Sometimes the perms on the audio device get screwed.

Make sure pulse user is in group 'audio'

from /etc/group

audio:x:29:pulse

--
“But what a weak barrier is truth when it stands in the way of an
hypothesis!”

Mary Wollstonecraft

Re: Debugging Advice

<c1ad109a40e0a3988f60c9d0b2a138e2@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13427&group=comp.os.linux.misc#13427

Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2024 23:07:31 +0000
From: tinker...@gmail.com (tinker123)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
 by: tinker123 - Sun, 28 Apr 2024 23:07 UTC

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

> Sometimes the perms on the audio device get screwed.

> Make sure pulse user is in group 'audio'

> from /etc/group

> audio:x:29:pulse

Thanks for the tip! No worries there though:

Mint21.2VictoriaCinnamon5.8> cat /etc/group | grep pulse
audio:x:29:pulse
pulse:x:131:
pulse-access:x:132:
Mint21.2VictoriaCinnamon5.8>

computers / comp.os.linux.misc / Re: Debugging Advice