"Stupidity, like virtue, is its own reward" -- William E. Davidsen

computers / comp.os.linux.networking / DHCP as default for new network interface

SubjectAuthor
* DHCP as default for new network interfaceRalf Fassel
+* Re: DHCP as default for new network interfaceCarlos E.R.
|`* Re: DHCP as default for new network interfaceRalf Fassel
| `* Re: DHCP as default for new network interfaceCarlos E.R.
|  `- Re: DHCP as default for new network interfaceRalf Fassel
`- Re: DHCP as default for new network interfaceBit Twister

1
DHCP as default for new network interface

<yga8rc3imcd.fsf@akutech.de>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=463&group=comp.os.linux.networking#463

From: ralf...@gmx.de (Ralf Fassel)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: DHCP as default for new network interface
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2023 18:27:14 +0200
 by: Ralf Fassel - Wed, 28 Jun 2023 16:27 UTC

Opensuse 15.4 if it matters.

Whenever I connect a 'new' USB-Ethernet adapter, it its listed in yast
as "not configured". I then can reconfigure it manually for DHCP, and
this works.

However, I would like to have DHCP as default for an new network adapter
attached, so I don't need to fire up network configuration each time I
add a new network adapter.

How would I go for this?

TNX
R'

Re: DHCP as default for new network interface

<ib6umjx5r1.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=464&group=comp.os.linux.networking#464

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: DHCP as default for new network interface
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2023 19:13:54 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Wed, 28 Jun 2023 17:13 UTC

On 2023-06-28 18:27, Ralf Fassel wrote:
> Opensuse 15.4 if it matters.
>
> Whenever I connect a 'new' USB-Ethernet adapter, it its listed in yast
> as "not configured". I then can reconfigure it manually for DHCP, and
> this works.
>
> However, I would like to have DHCP as default for an new network adapter
> attached, so I don't need to fire up network configuration each time I
> add a new network adapter.
>
> How would I go for this?

I think you should use Network Manager instead of wicked.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: DHCP as default for new network interface

<yga4jmqihot.fsf@akutech.de>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=465&group=comp.os.linux.networking#465

From: ralf...@gmx.de (Ralf Fassel)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.networking
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2023 14:20:02 +0200
 by: Ralf Fassel - Thu, 29 Jun 2023 12:20 UTC

* "Carlos E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid>
| On 2023-06-28 18:27, Ralf Fassel wrote:
| > Opensuse 15.4 if it matters.
--<snip-snip>--
| > However, I would like to have DHCP as default for an new network
| > adapter
| > attached, so I don't need to fire up network configuration each time I
| > add a new network adapter.
| > How would I go for this?
>
| I think you should use Network Manager instead of wicked.

Thanks for the suggestion, which reminded me that I indeed chose
'wicked' on installation some years ago and kept that throughout the
releases.

I tried to change to Networkmanager in yast, but it immediately
complained it required some app or other (did not say exactly which) to
run properly - I do not run KDE or Gnome desktop :-/, and Yast said it
could not longer control the interface options (since Networkmanager did).

At that point I remembered *why* I had changed to wicked... and decided
that I do not want the original requested feature *that* much.

Thanks
R'

Re: DHCP as default for new network interface

<ssa0njx0s7.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=466&group=comp.os.linux.networking#466

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.networking
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2023 14:43:40 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Thu, 29 Jun 2023 12:43 UTC

On 2023-06-29 14:20, Ralf Fassel wrote:
> * "Carlos E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid>
> | On 2023-06-28 18:27, Ralf Fassel wrote:
> | > Opensuse 15.4 if it matters.
> --<snip-snip>--
> | > However, I would like to have DHCP as default for an new network
> | > adapter
> | > attached, so I don't need to fire up network configuration each time I
> | > add a new network adapter.
> | > How would I go for this?
>>
> | I think you should use Network Manager instead of wicked.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion, which reminded me that I indeed chose
> 'wicked' on installation some years ago and kept that throughout the
> releases.
>
> I tried to change to Networkmanager in yast, but it immediately
> complained it required some app or other (did not say exactly which) to
> run properly - I do not run KDE or Gnome desktop :-/, and Yast said it
> could not longer control the interface options (since Networkmanager did).
>
> At that point I remembered *why* I had changed to wicked... and decided
> that I do not want the original requested feature *that* much.
>
> Thanks

Ok, so... did you manage to change to NM? Does it work?

Wicked can't handle automatically changing hardware, like an USB network
connection. NM can.

Yes, when you change to NM, YaST can no longer control/configure the
connections, except some items (notably, computer name). And it probably
needs to install somethings, which should be handled automatically, no
matter what desktop you use (or even in text mode).

openSUSE is removing wicked in the future, going for NM only.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: DHCP as default for new network interface

<slrnu9r562.ffvg.BitTwister@wb.home.arpa>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=467&group=comp.os.linux.networking#467

From: BitTwis...@mouse-potato.com (Bit Twister)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.networking
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2023 09:27:14 -0500
 by: Bit Twister - Thu, 29 Jun 2023 14:27 UTC

On Wed, 28 Jun 2023 18:27:14 +0200, Ralf Fassel wrote:
> Opensuse 15.4 if it matters.

It always helps to provide the distribution.
You need to use the distribution's 'network configuration tool to do
configuration setting/changes.

Re: DHCP as default for new network interface

<ygazg4hgw0l.fsf@akutech.de>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=468&group=comp.os.linux.networking#468

From: ralf...@gmx.de (Ralf Fassel)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.networking
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 11:05:46 +0200
 by: Ralf Fassel - Fri, 30 Jun 2023 09:05 UTC

* "Carlos E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid>
| On 2023-06-29 14:20, Ralf Fassel wrote:
| > * "Carlos E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid>
| > --<snip-snip>--
| >>
| > | I think you should use Network Manager instead of wicked.
| > Thanks for the suggestion, which reminded me that I indeed chose
| > 'wicked' on installation some years ago and kept that throughout the
| > releases.
| > I tried to change to Networkmanager in yast, but it immediately
| > complained it required some app or other (did not say exactly which) to
| > run properly - I do not run KDE or Gnome desktop :-/, and Yast said it
| > could not longer control the interface options (since Networkmanager did).
| > At that point I remembered *why* I had changed to wicked... and
| > decided
| > that I do not want the original requested feature *that* much.
| > Thanks
>
| Ok, so... did you manage to change to NM? Does it work?

No, I haven't changed (yet). NM looks promising, but the messages when
switching to it in yast (even *before* 'Apply') scared me off, since
right now I did not want to spend the time investigating if something
went wrong. However, I will try it on the next OS release update (15.5
is already released).

| Yes, when you change to NM, YaST can no longer control/configure the
| connections, except some items (notably, computer name). And it
| probably needs to install somethings, which should be handled
| automatically, no matter what desktop you use (or even in text mode).

Sounds like 'nmcli' is the tool in question.

| openSUSE is removing wicked in the future, going for NM only.

Good to know.

TNX
R'

computers / comp.os.linux.networking / DHCP as default for new network interface