From: doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: alt.christnet,alt.bible,alt.messianic,alt.religion.christian.biblestudy,alt.religion.christian
Subject: Day 93 of My 4th Bible Study Journey
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 21:08:49 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 21:08 UTC

Day 93, 2 April 2024

1) Judges 10, Judges 11, Judges 12

JUDGES 10

Tola

1 (Jdg 2:16) After the death of Abimelek, Tola the son of Puah,
the son of Dodo, a man of Issachar, arose to save Israel. He lived in Shamir,
in the hill country of Ephraim.
2 He judged Israel for twenty-three years.
Then he died and was buried in Shamir.

[1] And after Abimelech there arose to defend Israel Tola the son of Puah,
the son of Dodo, a man of Issachar; and he dwelt in Shamir in mount Ephraim.
[2] And he judged Israel twenty and three years, and died, and was buried in
Shamir.

Jair

3 After him Jair the Gileadite arose and judged Israel for 22 years.
4 (Nu 32:41; Dt 3:14) He had thirty sons who rode thirty donkeys
and owned thirty cities that are in the land of Gilead.
They are called Havvoth Jair to this day.
5 Jair died and was buried in Kamon.

[3] And after him arose Jair, a Gileadite, and judged Israel twenty and two
years.
[4] And he had thirty sons that rode on thirty ass colts, and they had
thirty cities, which are called Havoth-jair unto this day, which are in the
land of Gilead.
[5] And Jair died, and was buried in Camon.

Jephthah

6 (1Ki 11:5; 11:7) Again the children of Israel did evil in the sight
of the Lord. They worshipped the Baals, the Ashtoreths,
and the gods of Syria, Sidon, Moab, the Ammonites, and the Philistines.
They abandoned the Lord and did not serve Him.
7 (Jdg 2:14) The anger of the Lord burned against Israel, and He sold them
into the hands of the Philistines and the Ammonites.
8 They brutally oppressed the children of Israel that year.
For eighteen years they oppressed all the children of Israel
beyond the Jordan in the land of the Amorites in Gilead.
9 The Ammonites also crossed over the Jordan to wage war
against Judah, Benjamin, and Ephraim, so that Israel was greatly distressed.
10 (1Sa 12:10; Jdg 3:9) Then the children of Israel cried out to the Lord,
"We have sinned against You, for we have abandoned
our God and worshipped the Baals."
11 (Ex 14:30; Nu 21:21-25) The Lord said to the children of Israel,
"Did I not deliver you from Egypt, the Amorites, the Ammonites,
the Philistines,
12 (Jdg 6:3) the Sidonians, the Amalekites, and the Maonites
when they oppressed you? You cried out to Me, and I saved you from their hands.
13 (Jer 2:13; Dt 32:15) Yet you have abandoned Me and worshipped other gods.
Therefore I will not save you again.
14 (Dt 32:37-38) Go and cry out to the gods that you have chosen.
Let them save you in your time of distress."
15 (1Sa 3:18; 2Sa 15:26) Then the children of Israel said to the Lord,
"We have sinned. Do to us whatever seems good in Your sight.
Please, just deliver us today."
16 (Isa 63:9; Ps 106:44-45) They removed the foreign gods from among them
and worshipped the Lord, and He could no longer endure
the suffering of Israel.
17 (Jdg 11:29; Ge 31:49) The Ammonites had been called out
and set up camp in Gilead. The children of Israel assembled and set up
camp in Mizpah.
18 (Jdg 11:11) The commanders of Gilead said to each other,
" Who is the man who will begin to fight against the Ammonites?
He will be the ruler of all the inhabitants of Gilead."

[6] And the children of Israel did evil again in the sight of the LORD, and
served Baalim, and Ashtaroth, and the gods of Syria, and the gods of Zidon,
and the gods of Moab, and the gods of the children of Ammon, and the gods of
the Philistines, and forsook the LORD, and served not him.
[7] And the anger of the LORD was hot against Israel, and he sold them into
the hands of the Philistines, and into the hands of the children of Ammon.
[8] And that year they vexed and oppressed the children of Israel: eighteen
years, all the children of Israel that were on the other side Jordan in the
land of the Amorites, which is in Gilead.
[9] Moreover the children of Ammon passed over Jordan to fight also against
Judah, and against Benjamin, and against the house of Ephraim; so that
Israel was sore distressed.
[10] And the children of Israel cried unto the LORD, saying, We have sinned
against thee, both because we have forsaken our God, and also served Baalim.
[11] And the LORD said unto the children of Israel, Did not I deliver you
from the Egyptians, and from the Amorites, from the children of Ammon, and
from the Philistines?
[12] The Zidonians also, and the Amalekites, and the Maonites, did oppress
you; and ye cried to me, and I delivered you out of their hand.
[13] Yet ye have forsaken me, and served other gods: wherefore I will
deliver you no more.
[14] Go and cry unto the gods which ye have chosen; let them deliver you in
the time of your tribulation.
[15] And the children of Israel said unto the LORD, We have sinned: do thou
unto us whatsoever seemeth good unto thee; deliver us only, we pray thee,
this day.
[16] And they put away the strange gods from among them, and served the
LORD: and his soul was grieved for the misery of Israel.
[17] Then the children of Ammon were gathered together, and encamped in
Gilead. And the children of Israel assembled themselves together, and
encamped in Mizpeh.
[18] And the people and princes of Gilead said one to another, What man is
he that will begin to fight against the children of Ammon? he shall be head
over all the inhabitants of Gilead.

JUDGES 11

1 (Heb 11:32; Jdg 6:12) Now Jephthah the Gileadite was a mighty man of valour,
but he was the son of a prostitute. Gilead was the father of Jephthah.
2 Gilead's wife also bore him sons. His wife's sons grew up and drove
Jephthah away. They said to him, "You will not inherit anything
from our father's house because you are the son of another woman."
3 (Jdg 9:4; 1Sa 22:2) So Jephthah fled from his brothers and lived
in the land of Tob. Men of ill repute gathered around Jephthah
and went out with him.
4 Some time passed, then the Ammonites waged war with Israel.
5 When the Ammonites waged war with Israel, the elders of Gilead
went to bring Jephthah back from the land of Tob.
6 They said to Jephthah, "Come and be our leader so that we may
fight the Ammonites."
7 (Ge 26:27) Jephthah said to the elders of Gilead,
"Did you not hate me and drive me out of my father's house?
Why have you come to me now that you are in trouble?"
8 (Jdg 10:18) The elders of Gilead said to Jephthah,
"Even so, we have turned to you. Come with us and fight the Ammonites.
You will be ruler over all the inhabitants of Gilead."
9 Jephthah said to the elders of Gilead, "If you bring me back to wage war
against the Ammonites, and the Lord gives them to me,
then I will be your ruler."
10 (Jer 42:5; Ge 31:50) The elders of Gilead said to Jephthah,
"May the Lord be a witness between us
if we do not act according to your word."
11 (Jdg 10:17; 20:1) So Jephthah went with the elders of Gilead.
The people set him over them as ruler and leader.
And Jephthah spoke all his words before the Lord in Mizpah.
12 Jephthah sent messengers to the Ammonite king to say,
"What problem is there between you and me,
that you have come to me to wage war in my land?"
13 (Ge 32:22; Nu 21:24-26) The Ammonite king said to the messengers
of Jephthah, "Because when Israel came up from Egypt, they took my land,
from the Arnon to the Jabbok and as far as the Jordan.
Now return it peacefully."
14 Again Jephthah sent messengers to the Ammonite king,
15 (Dt 2:9; 2:19) and said to him,
"Jephthah says this: Israel did not take the land of Moab,
nor the Ammonite land;
16 (Nu 14:25; Dt 1:40_ for when Israel came up from Egypt,
they went into the desert as far as the Red Sea and came to Kadesh.
17 (Nu 20:1; 20:14-21) Then Israel sent messengers to the king of Edom,
saying, 'Please let us pass through your land.' Yet the king of Edom would
not listen. They also sent messengers to the king of Moab,
but he was unwilling. So Israel stayed at Kadesh.
18 (Nu 22:36; Dt 2:1-8) "They went into the wilderness, around the lands
of Edom and Moab. They went east of the land of Moab and set up camp
on the other side of the River Arnon. They did not cross the boundary
of Moab, for the River Arnon was the boundary of Moab.
19 "Then Israel sent messengers to Sihon king of the Amorites,
who ruled in Heshbon. Israel said to him,
"Please let us pass through your land to our home."
20 Yet Sihon did not trust Israel to pass through his territory,
so Sihon gathered all his people and set up camp in Jahaz
to fight with Israel.
21 "The Lord God of Israel gave Sihon and all his people
into the hands of Israel, and they struck them down. So Israel took possession
of all the land of the Amorites who lived in that land.
22 (Dt 2:36) They took possession of all of the territory of the Amorites,
from the Arnon to the Jabbok and from the desert to the Jordan.
23 "Now that the Lord God of Israel has driven out the Amorites
from before His people Israel, should you take it?
24 (Nu 21:29; 1Ki 11:7) Will you not take possession of whatever Chemosh
your god gives you? So everything that the Lord our God possesses before us,
we will take possession of it.
25 (Mic 6:5) Now are you really better than Balak son of Zippor,
the king of Moab? Did he ever contend with Israel or wage war with them?
26 (Dt 2:36) Israel has lived in Heshbon and its nearby towns, in Aroer
and its nearby towns, and in all the cities along the banks of the River Arnon
for three hundred years. Why did you not take them back during that time?
27 (Ge 16:5; 18:25) So I have not sinned against you, but it is you who are
doing evil to me by waging war against me. May the Lord, the Judge,
judge today between the children of Israel and the Ammonites."
28 Yet the Ammonite king would not listen to the message
that Jephthah had sent him.

Click here to read the complete article

interests / alt.bible / Day 93 of My 4th Bible Study Journey