It's all right letting yourself go as long as you can let yourself back. -- Mick Jagger

interests / rec.games.frp.misc / [kickstarter] Thrice Fantasy TTRPG

SubjectAuthor
* [kickstarter] Thrice Fantasy TTRPGgbbgu
+- Re: [kickstarter] Thrice Fantasy TTRPGgbbgu
+* Re: [kickstarter] Thrice Fantasy TTRPGkyonshi
|`- Re: [kickstarter] Thrice Fantasy TTRPGdozens
`* Re: [kickstarter] Thrice Fantasy TTRPGJustisaur
 `- Re: [kickstarter] Thrice Fantasy TTRPGgbbgu

1
[kickstarter] Thrice Fantasy TTRPG

<nLTyN.323232$Wp_8.173063@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=141&group=rec.games.frp.misc#141

From: gbb...@gbbgu.com (gbbgu)
Newsgroups: rec.games.frp.marketplace,rec.games.frp.misc
Subject: [kickstarter] Thrice Fantasy TTRPG
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 00:24:51 GMT
 by: gbbgu - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 00:24 UTC

A light engine TTRPG with a solid structure, using only d³s.

Thrice Fantasy is a flexible and comprehensive TTRPG, with a fresh and flowing
gameplay. The rulebook allows you to play in fantasy settings. Thrice Fantasy
is the first product to use the Thrice engine, a rule system that will be
employed in various styles and genres, as we'll explore in upcoming
Thrice-based releases.

http://kck.st/42HroaX

> Thrice uses special six-sided dice on which the number 1 appears on one face,
> 2 on two, 3 on three. These dice are d³, pronounced "d-thrice". One d-thrice
> is referred to as 1d³, two dice as 2d³, and so on.
>
> Each die rolled in the game aims to obtain a target number, which can be 1, 2
> or 3. If the result of a die is equal to the target number, that die scores a
> success. The target is indicated in round brackets after the number of dice.
> If a trap inflicts 5d³(3), the Master rolls 5 dice: each result of 3
> represents one damage inflicted.
>
> As an alternative to d³, you can use ordinary six-sided dice (d6). In that
> case, if the result of a die is equal to or less than the target number, that
> die scores a success.

I won't post the whole kickstarter detail, but I thought the custom dice was
interesting.

This breaks down to:

need a 1: 16.6% (1 in 6 chance)
need a 2: 33.3% (1 in 3 chance)
need a 3: 50% (1 in 2 chance)

Using a d6 as suggested would be:

need a 1: (roll a 1) : 16.6%
need a 2: (roll a 1, 2) : 33.3%
need a 3: (roll a 1, 2, 3): 50%

rolls of 4-6 are ignored

--
gbbgu

Re: [kickstarter] Thrice Fantasy TTRPG

<9YTyN.67858$5Hnd.21553@fx03.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=142&group=rec.games.frp.misc#142

From: gbb...@gbbgu.com (gbbgu)
Newsgroups: rec.games.frp.misc
Subject: Re: [kickstarter] Thrice Fantasy TTRPG
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 00:38:29 GMT
 by: gbbgu - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 00:38 UTC

On 14 Feb 2024, gbbgu wrote:

> A light engine TTRPG with a solid structure, using only d³s.

> Thrice Fantasy is a flexible and comprehensive TTRPG, with a fresh and flowing
> gameplay. The rulebook allows you to play in fantasy settings. Thrice Fantasy
> is the first product to use the Thrice engine, a rule system that will be
> employed in various styles and genres, as we'll explore in upcoming
> Thrice-based releases.

> http://kck.st/42HroaX

>> Thrice uses special six-sided dice on which the number 1 appears on one face,
>> 2 on two, 3 on three. These dice are d³, pronounced "d-thrice". One d-thrice
>> is referred to as 1d³, two dice as 2d³, and so on.

>> Each die rolled in the game aims to obtain a target number, which can be 1, 2
>> or 3. If the result of a die is equal to the target number, that die scores a
>> success. The target is indicated in round brackets after the number of dice.
>> If a trap inflicts 5d³(3), the Master rolls 5 dice: each result of 3
>> represents one damage inflicted.

>> As an alternative to d³, you can use ordinary six-sided dice (d6). In that
>> case, if the result of a die is equal to or less than the target number, that
>> die scores a success.
>
> I won't post the whole kickstarter detail, but I thought the custom dice was
> interesting.
>
> This breaks down to:
>
> need a 1: 16.6% (1 in 6 chance)
> need a 2: 33.3% (1 in 3 chance)
> need a 3: 50% (1 in 2 chance)
>
> Using a d6 as suggested would be:
>
> need a 1: (roll a 1) : 16.6%
> need a 2: (roll a 1, 2) : 33.3%
> need a 3: (roll a 1, 2, 3): 50%
>
> rolls of 4-6 are ignored

If you want to play around with https://anydice.com, this formula is for the
example given above 5d³(3):

output [count 3 in 5d{1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3}]

Chances of each result (counting how many 3s you get):

0 "3s": 3.125%
1 "3s": 15.625%
2 "3s": 31.25%
3 "3s": 31.25%
4 "3s": 15.625%
5 "3s": 3.125%

--
gbbgu

Re: [kickstarter] Thrice Fantasy TTRPG

<uqi6ga$2dff4$1@sibirocobombus.campaignwiki>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=143&group=rec.games.frp.misc#143

From: gmke...@gmail.com (kyonshi)
Newsgroups: rec.games.frp.marketplace,rec.games.frp.misc
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 12:00:35 +0100
 by: kyonshi - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 11:00 UTC

On 2/14/2024 1:24 AM, gbbgu wrote:
> A light engine TTRPG with a solid structure, using only d³s.
>
> Thrice Fantasy is a flexible and comprehensive TTRPG, with a fresh and flowing
> gameplay. The rulebook allows you to play in fantasy settings. Thrice Fantasy
> is the first product to use the Thrice engine, a rule system that will be
> employed in various styles and genres, as we'll explore in upcoming
> Thrice-based releases.
>
> http://kck.st/42HroaX
>
>> Thrice uses special six-sided dice on which the number 1 appears on one face,
>> 2 on two, 3 on three. These dice are d³, pronounced "d-thrice". One d-thrice
>> is referred to as 1d³, two dice as 2d³, and so on.
>>
>> Each die rolled in the game aims to obtain a target number, which can be 1, 2
>> or 3. If the result of a die is equal to the target number, that die scores a
>> success. The target is indicated in round brackets after the number of dice.
>> If a trap inflicts 5d³(3), the Master rolls 5 dice: each result of 3
>> represents one damage inflicted.
>>
>> As an alternative to d³, you can use ordinary six-sided dice (d6). In that
>> case, if the result of a die is equal to or less than the target number, that
>> die scores a success.

Thank the heavens, it's always such a trouble to half the d6s to make d3s.

Re: [kickstarter] Thrice Fantasy TTRPG

<uqip55$2h2la$1@sibirocobombus.campaignwiki>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=144&group=rec.games.frp.misc#144

From: doz...@tilde.team (dozens)
Newsgroups: rec.games.frp.marketplace,rec.games.frp.misc
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 09:18:44 -0700
 by: dozens - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 16:18 UTC

On 2/14/24 4:00 AM, kyonshi wrote:
> On 2/14/2024 1:24 AM, gbbgu wrote:
>> A light engine TTRPG with a solid structure, using only d³s.
>>
>> Thrice Fantasy is a flexible and comprehensive TTRPG, with a fresh and
>> flowing
>> gameplay. The rulebook allows you to play in fantasy settings. Thrice
>> Fantasy
>> is the first product to use the Thrice engine, a rule system that will be
>> employed in various styles and genres, as we'll explore in upcoming
>> Thrice-based releases.
>>
>> http://kck.st/42HroaX
>>
>>> Thrice uses special six-sided dice on which the number 1 appears on
>>> one face,
>>> 2 on two, 3 on three. These dice are d³, pronounced "d-thrice". One
>>> d-thrice
>>> is referred to as 1d³, two dice as 2d³, and so on.
>>>
>>> Each die rolled in the game aims to obtain a target number, which can
>>> be 1, 2
>>> or 3. If the result of a die is equal to the target number, that die
>>> scores a
>>> success. The target is indicated in round brackets after the number
>>> of dice.
>>> If a trap inflicts 5d³(3), the Master rolls 5 dice: each result of 3
>>> represents one damage inflicted.
>>>
>>> As an alternative to d³, you can use ordinary six-sided dice (d6). In
>>> that
>>> case, if the result of a die is equal to or less than the target
>>> number, that
>>> die scores a success.

Preface: I genuinely have no intuition for probabilities

> Thank the heavens, it's always such a trouble to half the d6s to make d3s.

But it's not the same is it?

With the Thrice Dice (or with the standard d6 alternative), it is
describing an 3-in-6 (50%) chance, a 2-in-6 (33%) chance, and a 1-in-6
(16%) chance.

Halving a d6 wouldn't give you the same 122333 probability spread.

In any case, I like it. I think it's cute. The custom dice are pretty
neat, and it's also perfectly playable without them as well. I think
that versatility makes it a pretty clever system.

Re: [kickstarter] Thrice Fantasy TTRPG

<uqjkcd$2sc6r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=145&group=rec.games.frp.misc#145

From: justis...@yahoo.com (Justisaur)
Newsgroups: rec.games.frp.marketplace,rec.games.frp.misc
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 16:03:25 -0800
 by: Justisaur - Thu, 15 Feb 2024 00:03 UTC

On 2/13/2024 4:24 PM, gbbgu wrote:
> A light engine TTRPG with a solid structure, using only d³s.
>
> Thrice Fantasy is a flexible and comprehensive TTRPG, with a fresh and flowing
> gameplay. The rulebook allows you to play in fantasy settings. Thrice Fantasy
> is the first product to use the Thrice engine, a rule system that will be
> employed in various styles and genres, as we'll explore in upcoming
> Thrice-based releases.
>
> http://kck.st/42HroaX
>
>> Thrice uses special six-sided dice on which the number 1 appears on one face,
>> 2 on two, 3 on three. These dice are d³, pronounced "d-thrice". One d-thrice
>> is referred to as 1d³, two dice as 2d³, and so on.
>>
>> Each die rolled in the game aims to obtain a target number, which can be 1, 2
>> or 3. If the result of a die is equal to the target number, that die scores a
>> success. The target is indicated in round brackets after the number of dice.
>> If a trap inflicts 5d³(3), the Master rolls 5 dice: each result of 3
>> represents one damage inflicted.
>>
>> As an alternative to d³, you can use ordinary six-sided dice (d6). In that
>> case, if the result of a die is equal to or less than the target number, that
>> die scores a success.
>
> I won't post the whole kickstarter detail, but I thought the custom dice was
> interesting.
>
> This breaks down to:
>
> need a 1: 16.6% (1 in 6 chance)
> need a 2: 33.3% (1 in 3 chance)
> need a 3: 50% (1 in 2 chance)
>
> Using a d6 as suggested would be:
>
> need a 1: (roll a 1) : 16.6%
> need a 2: (roll a 1, 2) : 33.3%
> need a 3: (roll a 1, 2, 3): 50%
>
> rolls of 4-6 are ignored

Should be 'failed' not ignored, though I guess it means the same thing.

Dice pools meh. You're making successes fairly average I guess which
while good for the players statistically, is not for good for fun, as I
learned with 4e's skill challenges.

--
-Justisaur

ø-ø
(\_/)\
`-'\ `--.___,
¶¬'\( ,_.-'
\\
^'

Re: [kickstarter] Thrice Fantasy TTRPG

<nRezN.324801$Wp_8.128142@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=146&group=rec.games.frp.misc#146

From: gbb...@gbbgu.com (gbbgu)
Newsgroups: rec.games.frp.marketplace,rec.games.frp.misc
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 02:41:23 GMT
 by: gbbgu - Thu, 15 Feb 2024 02:41 UTC

On 15 Feb 2024, Justisaur wrote:

> Dice pools meh. You're making successes fairly average I guess which
> while good for the players statistically, is not for good for fun, as I
> learned with 4e's skill challenges.

I haven't played with dice pools very much, but I'm starting to think I'd
prefer playing in games were "this one die roll is critical" type play.
Rolling one die is more visible and can bring the whole table to watch and
react to that one roll.

I've still backed the kickstarter, cause "ohh new and shiny" always gets me :)

--
gbbgu

interests / rec.games.frp.misc / [kickstarter] Thrice Fantasy TTRPG