From: doz...@tilde.team (dozens)
Newsgroups: rec.games.frp.misc
Subject: The Lost Universe: NASA's Tabletop Role-Playing Game Adventure
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 18:03:37 -0700
 by: dozens - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 01:03 UTC

https://science.nasa.gov/mission/hubble/multimedia/online-activities/the-lost-universe/

A dark mystery has settled over the city of Aldastron on the rogue
planet of Exlaris. Researchers dedicated to studying the cosmos have
disappeared, and the Hubble Space Telescope has vanished from Earth’s
timeline. Only an ambitious crew of adventurers can uncover what was
lost. Are you up to the challenge?

This adventure is designed for a party of 4-7 level 7-10 characters and
is easily adaptable for your preferred tabletop role-playing game
(TTRPG) system.

NASA’s first TTRPG adventure invites you to take on a classic villain
(while also using and learning science skills!) as you overcome
challenges and embark on an exciting quest to unlock more knowledge
about our universe. Download your game documents below and get ready to
explore Exlaris!

Re: The Lost Universe: NASA's Tabletop Role-Playing Game Adventure

<us6mte$3307i$1@sibirocobombus.campaignwiki>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=170&group=rec.games.frp.misc#170

From: gmke...@gmail.com (kyonshi)
Newsgroups: rec.games.frp.misc
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2024 09:59:37 +0100
 by: kyonshi - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 08:59 UTC

On 3/5/2024 2:03 AM, dozens wrote:
> https://science.nasa.gov/mission/hubble/multimedia/online-activities/the-lost-universe/
>
> A dark mystery has settled over the city of Aldastron on the rogue
> planet of Exlaris. Researchers dedicated to studying the cosmos have
> disappeared, and the Hubble Space Telescope has vanished from Earth’s
> timeline. Only an ambitious crew of adventurers can uncover what was
> lost. Are you up to the challenge?
>
> This adventure is designed for a party of 4-7 level 7-10 characters and
> is easily adaptable for your preferred tabletop role-playing game
> (TTRPG) system.
>
> NASA’s first TTRPG adventure invites you to take on a classic villain
> (while also using and learning science skills!) as you overcome
> challenges and embark on an exciting quest to unlock more knowledge
> about our universe. Download your game documents below and get ready to
> explore Exlaris!

I mean, kudos to them, but why are they going for a fantasy environment
for that instead of leaning into science fiction? Everybody can do
fantasy, but NASA would have the clout to just put out a science fiction
adventure and have it work.

Well, of course I know why they do it, it's because 5e is so popular
people might not even realize there's science fiction games out there.

Re: The Lost Universe: NASA's Tabletop Role-Playing Game Adventure

<us6nob$3307i$3@sibirocobombus.campaignwiki>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=172&group=rec.games.frp.misc#172

From: gmke...@gmail.com (kyonshi)
Newsgroups: rec.games.frp.misc
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2024 10:13:58 +0100
 by: kyonshi - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 09:13 UTC

On 3/5/2024 9:59 AM, kyonshi wrote:
> On 3/5/2024 2:03 AM, dozens wrote:
>> https://science.nasa.gov/mission/hubble/multimedia/online-activities/the-lost-universe/
>>
>> A dark mystery has settled over the city of Aldastron on the rogue
>> planet of Exlaris. Researchers dedicated to studying the cosmos have
>> disappeared, and the Hubble Space Telescope has vanished from Earth’s
>> timeline. Only an ambitious crew of adventurers can uncover what was
>> lost. Are you up to the challenge?
>>
>> This adventure is designed for a party of 4-7 level 7-10 characters
>> and is easily adaptable for your preferred tabletop role-playing game
>> (TTRPG) system.
>>
>> NASA’s first TTRPG adventure invites you to take on a classic villain
>> (while also using and learning science skills!) as you overcome
>> challenges and embark on an exciting quest to unlock more knowledge
>> about our universe. Download your game documents below and get ready
>> to explore Exlaris!
>
> I mean, kudos to them, but why are they going for a fantasy environment
> for that instead of leaning into science fiction? Everybody can do
> fantasy, but NASA would have the clout to just put out a science fiction
> adventure and have it work.
>
> Well, of course I know why they do it, it's because 5e is so popular
> people might not even realize there's science fiction games out there.

which reminds me that Wendy's (the fast food chain which I don't really
know because I am not American) released a ttrpg called Feast of Legends
https://archive.org/details/feast-of-legends

Re: The Lost Universe: NASA's Tabletop Role-Playing Game Adventure

<usa52n$3kp0$1@sibirocobombus.campaignwiki>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=175&group=rec.games.frp.misc#175

From: doz...@tilde.team (dozens)
Newsgroups: rec.games.frp.misc
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 09:19:35 -0700
 by: dozens - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 16:19 UTC

On 3/5/24 2:13 AM, kyonshi wrote:
> which reminds me that Wendy's (the fast food chain which I don't really
> know because I am not American) released a ttrpg called Feast of Legends
> https://archive.org/details/feast-of-legends

I seem to recall that the community was so outraged about an obvious
corporate sellout grab that Critical Role had to apologize for playing a
oneshot of it.

There were in-game powerups for irl purchasing food from Wendys. Which
is awful and also kind of brilliant.

Re: The Lost Universe: NASA's Tabletop Role-Playing Game Adventure

<usa5cj$3krf$2@sibirocobombus.campaignwiki>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=176&group=rec.games.frp.misc#176

From: gmke...@gmail.com (kyonshi)
Newsgroups: rec.games.frp.misc
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 17:25:04 +0100
 by: kyonshi - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 16:25 UTC

On 3/6/2024 5:19 PM, dozens wrote:
> On 3/5/24 2:13 AM, kyonshi wrote:
>> which reminds me that Wendy's (the fast food chain which I don't
>> really know because I am not American) released a ttrpg called Feast
>> of Legends
>> https://archive.org/details/feast-of-legends
>
> I seem to recall that the community was so outraged about an obvious
> corporate sellout grab that Critical Role had to apologize for playing a
> oneshot of it.
>
> There were in-game powerups for irl purchasing food from Wendys. Which
> is awful and also kind of brilliant.

I had a look at it and it didn't seem like anything I'd want to play,
but I liked the idea of the hobby being so mainstream that a fast food
chain just decided to use it for advertisement.

Re: The Lost Universe: NASA's Tabletop Role-Playing Game Adventure

<usa5si$3kp0$2@sibirocobombus.campaignwiki>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=177&group=rec.games.frp.misc#177

From: doz...@tilde.team (dozens)
Newsgroups: rec.games.frp.misc
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 09:33:22 -0700
 by: dozens - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 16:33 UTC

On 3/6/24 9:25 AM, kyonshi wrote:
> On 3/6/2024 5:19 PM, dozens wrote:
>> On 3/5/24 2:13 AM, kyonshi wrote:
>>> which reminds me that Wendy's (the fast food chain which I don't
>>> really know because I am not American) released a ttrpg called Feast
>>> of Legends
>>> https://archive.org/details/feast-of-legends
>>
>> I seem to recall that the community was so outraged about an obvious
>> corporate sellout grab that Critical Role had to apologize for playing
>> a oneshot of it.
>>
>> There were in-game powerups for irl purchasing food from Wendys. Which
>> is awful and also kind of brilliant.
>
> I had a look at it and it didn't seem like anything I'd want to play,
> but I liked the idea of the hobby being so mainstream that a fast food
> chain just decided to use it for advertisement.

I also remember the setting having obvious stand-ins for Ronald and for
the Burger King.

I thought it was funny.

interests / rec.games.frp.misc / The Lost Universe: NASA's Tabletop Role-Playing Game Adventure