From: yourd...@outlook.com (useapen)
Newsgroups: us.military.national-guard,alt.military.retired,alt.california,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,talk.politics.guns,sac.politics
Subject: Ousted California National Guard general fires back at state in lawsuit
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2024 08:47:11 -0000 (UTC)
 by: useapen - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 08:47 UTC

SACRAMENTO, Calif. � A retired California National Guard general who was
removed from his post has fired back against the state in a lawsuit,
saying he was subjected to a hostile atmosphere of antisemitism and
punished for filing a complaint about it.

Jeffrey Magram, a retired brigadier general, seeks to clear his military
record and collect damages from the state, the National Guard, his former
commanding officers and Gov. Gavin Newsom, who oversees the California
Military Department.

Magram alleges that Maj. Gen. Matthew Beevers, who Newsom promoted to lead
the military department in May, made antisemitic comments over a two-year
period.

The retired general says Beevers referred him to a disciplinary board in
retaliation after he submitted a complaint about the hostile atmosphere to
the governor�s office and the inspector general, according to the suit,
which was filed Jan. 24 in Los Angeles County Superior Court.

�MG Beevers mounted an unprecedented defamatory campaign against me, and
it was supported by the Governor,� Magram said in a statement emailed
Tuesday to POLITICO. �I want to make sure this never happens again.�

The California Military Department issued a statement denying the
allegations in what it called a "retaliatory and baseless lawsuit."

Magram, who reported to Beevers, was fired after an internal review that
is not detailed in the lawsuit. The Los Angeles Times reported last year
that he was removed for reasons that included improperly directing
military personnel to do personal tasks and having a subordinate complete
part of his cybersecurity training.

He was also suspended in 2021 and investigated by the U.S. Air Force
Inspector General following complaints about his conduct, according to the
Times.

The now-retired general says the review was launched after he complained
about antisemitism and that Beevers also improperly interfered with the
investigation.

In its statement, the California Military Department pointed out that
Magram was issued a letter of admonishment for multiple instances of
misconduct involving ethical violations and maltreatment of subordinates.
The disciplinary action was later upheld by a board of three senior
officers with no involvement in the underlying incidents.

"We look forward to defending our actions to hold a senior leader
accountable for his misconduct," the statement said.

Magram seeks $1.6 million in lost compensation and unspecified punitive
damages.

The Military Department and Newsom�s office had no immediate comment on
the lawsuit.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ousted-california-national-guard-
general-fires-back-at-state-in-lawsuit/ar-BB1hw06A

interests / alt.military.retired / Ousted California National Guard general fires back at state in lawsuit