Business will be either better or worse. -- Calvin Coolidge

interests / alt.obituaries / 25 Years Ago Today: Columbine School Shooting

SubjectAuthor
* 25 Years Ago Today: Columbine School ShootingJason
+* Re: 25 Years Ago Today: Columbine School Shootingbryan_styble
|`* Re: 25 Years Ago Today: Columbine School ShootingJason
| `- Re: 25 Years Ago Today: Columbine School Shootingbryan_styble
`- Re: 25 Years Ago Today: Columbine School ShootingAdam H. Kerman

1
25 Years Ago Today: Columbine School Shooting

<d23e24c374deb2d80509a475b64c5ec8@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=21588&group=alt.obituaries#21588

Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 10:06:31 +0000
Subject: 25 Years Ago Today: Columbine School Shooting
From: jsnsmith...@gmail.com (Jason)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
 by: Jason - Sat, 20 Apr 2024 10:06 UTC

And so this is the anniversary, and what have we done?

Here's a link to an article titled "Nearly 500 People Have Been Killed in School Shootings Since Columbine"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/nearly-500-people-have-been-killed-in-school-shootings-since-columbine/ar-AA1nlsjO

Re: 25 Years Ago Today: Columbine School Shooting

<cbe2e2ccbc5b1cdf50f5d17fdba362d5@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=21590&group=alt.obituaries#21590

Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 10:48:26 +0000
Subject: Re: 25 Years Ago Today: Columbine School Shooting
From: radioact...@hotmail.com (bryan_styble)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
 by: bryan_styble - Sat, 20 Apr 2024 10:48 UTC

In direct answer to the above question that poster Jason posed to us all:

There's really not much which CAN be done by ANY society to prevent other such attacks, short of developing technology that would allow authorities to read people's minds...an advent that many of us libertarian-minded folk don't EVER want to see innovated.

Still, I thank you, Jason, for commemorating the sad anniversary of this two-student conspiratorial atrocity--as well as your artful allusion to John & Yoko's terrific 1971 hit Yuletide single, "Happy Christmas". *

By the way, an interesting detail mostly buried in the mountain of Columbine coverage since last century is this: Harris and Klebold actually planned their murderous rampage for the previous day [Monday, April 19, 1999], but for still unclear reasons were unable to fully set things up on schedule, thus delaying their mayhem until Tuesday, April 20th.**

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
==================
* I presume you were paraphrasing those lyrics--or was your choice of words merely coincidental?
** Widely noted in the massacre's press coverage as the date Hitler would have turned age 110...though Harris and Klebold seem to have been oblivious to that fact.

Re: 25 Years Ago Today: Columbine School Shooting

<0fc48c152f4ed7728cf89956b1aad442@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=21592&group=alt.obituaries#21592

Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 11:17:30 +0000
From: jsnsmith...@gmail.com (Jason)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
 by: Jason - Sat, 20 Apr 2024 11:17 UTC

Yes, I was intentionally alluding to "Happy Christmas/War is Over" by Lennon. I have a crazy, albeit annoying habit of quoting song lyrics on a daily basis. Everything from the old Stephen Foster "All up & down the whole creation" to the very latest pop lyrics. Just another eccentricity of mine.

Re: 25 Years Ago Today: Columbine School Shooting

<877f0bcbeeb9b004b6e03fd85c321e6a@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=21595&group=alt.obituaries#21595

Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 12:26:33 +0000
From: radioact...@hotmail.com (bryan_styble)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
 by: bryan_styble - Sat, 20 Apr 2024 12:26 UTC

Nothing "crazy" about THAT habit, Jason--no matter HOW annoying the un-hip may consider it! (And yeah, I too am [too?] frequently a practitioner thereof.)

Only problem is when whomever you'll invoking it to isn't familiar with the lyrics cited or paraphrased; THEN they erroneously presume you're just nonsensically rambling (though perhaps in rhyme)--rather than in fact demonstrating incisive cultural wit.

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida

Re: 25 Years Ago Today: Columbine School Shooting

<v00m1i$3nr6b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=21609&group=alt.obituaries#21609

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 15:12:50 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sat, 20 Apr 2024 15:12 UTC

Jason <jsnsmith565@gmail.com> wrote:

>And so this is the anniversary, and what have we done?

We've gone out of our way to give as many school shooters as possible
national notoriety, which is what they want. Stop rewarding them. Then
the problem will go away.

It's funny how no one gives a shit about the vast majority of violent
crime that takes place: Robberies, domestic battery, deaths with knives
or blunt objects, gang violence.

Here, last weekend, a family had gathered for a party after a
Christening. 11 were shot, including very young children; one child
died. Police immediately said it as gang related, but who the hell
knows. That's a terrible terrible crime but because this family is
simply unknown, we don't have political handwringing on the national
level.

>Here's a link to an article titled "Nearly 500 People Have Been Killed
>in School Shootings Since Columbine"

There were 21,570 homicides in the United States in 2020, but except for
the random killings at school, we just don't care.