Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 06:28:27 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: NYC bound
From: pfksprjv...@gmail.com (vfhuj pfksprj)
 by: vfhuj pfksprj - Fri, 19 May 2023 13:28 UTC

понедельник, 12 июля 1999 г. в 10:00:00 UTC+3, Karen Wheless:
> > Is it possible for a single woman to find a apt for a reasonable price
> > (500-900) in a decent neighborhood in the Bronx or Brooklyn? I'm coming
> > from Texas to Manhattan for a job and want to live as frugally as possible.
> > Any suggestion would be welcome. I don't have a car so I need to be near
> > public transit.
> I live a bit further away, across the river in the suburbs (Rockland
> County). While an apartment at that price may be possible, it will be
> hard to find. Typical prices for a very small 1 bedroom or studio out
> here are $800-$1000 per month. Prices are even higher closer to the
> city. You need to be very careful, if you are moving there without
> knowing the area. The places where the rents are cheap also tend to be
> the more dangerous parts, and as a single woman living alone, you have
> to be more careful.
> I would suggest trying to find an alternate place to live for a few
> months. Even if you don't want to live with a roommate in the long
> term, it's probably a good idea to start out with one, preferably a
> place where your name isn't on the lease and you can move with a few
> weeks notice. The best priced apartments are often privately owned, and
> usually aren't advertised. There are apartment complexes, but they tend
> to be more expensive, and many have waiting lists. If you can live
> somewhere else for a while, you will have a chance to look around, and
> grab a more frugal place when it comes available. In other cities, it's
> possible to find a perfectly nice, very frugal apartment by looking
> around for a few days, checking the newspaper listings, making a few
> phone calls. Not in New York. If you absolutely must get an apartment
> by yourself right away, be prepared to grit your teeth and pay for a
> realtor to help you. It will cost you a month's rent, but in the long
> run you may save more because many apartments are never listed in the
> newspaper or in apartment listings.
> Also, you said you are coming to Manhattan for a job. I'm presuming you
> have a job offer. Call the company you are working for, and ask for
> help. Ask if someone in the office will recommend someplace, talk to
> someone in the same situation who lives in the area. They may be able
> to help you find something. Any company in NY is used to this, housing
> is the perennial problem in New York, and they can probably link you up
> with someone who knows the area and can help you. This might also be a
> way to find a temporary roommate.
> Most people in this area live with roommates. I wouldn't last a week
> with a roommate, so I spent a long time looking for a place, have less
> space than I would like, and spend a little more in rent. It's worth it
> to me, but it's not the most frugal choice.
> Karen
> --
> kwhe...@rockland.net
> http://members.xoom.com/regencyread/
It is difficult to find housing in which I will live alone, and it will be expensive, so it is beneficial to have a neighbor. Therefore, you can suggest How to find a perfect roommate in NYC. If you have a neighbor, it becomes easier financially and you can take turns cleaning, so it is very profitable. Can you please advise because it will be very difficult for me to find without help

interests / misc.consumers.frugal-living / Re: NYC bound