"The following is not for the weak of heart or Fundamentalists." -- Dave Barry

interests / rec.games.frp.misc / Re: What have you been playing in MARCH 2024?

SubjectAuthor
* What have you been playing in MARCH 2024?Kyonshi
+* Re: What have you been playing in MARCH 2024?Justisaur
|`* Re: What have you been playing in MARCH 2024?Kyonshi
| `* Re: What have you been playing in MARCH 2024?Justisaur
|  `- Re: What have you been playing in MARCH 2024?Kyonshi
+* Re: What have you been playing in MARCH 2024?John Dallman
|`* Re: What have you been playing in MARCH 2024?Kyonshi
| `* Re: What have you been playing in MARCH 2024?John Dallman
|  `- Re: What have you been playing in MARCH 2024?Kyonshi
`- Re: What have you been playing in MARCH 2024?dozens

1
What have you been playing in MARCH 2024?

<uv0nk6$2gne7$1@sibirocobombus.campaignwiki>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=200&group=rec.games.frp.misc#200

From: gmke...@gmail.com (Kyonshi)
Newsgroups: rec.games.frp.misc
Subject: What have you been playing in MARCH 2024?
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 14:20:53 +0200
 by: Kyonshi - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 12:20 UTC

Spalls is doing this all the time in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action, which
for some reason is the only one of those computer game groups that seem
to get any kind of real engagement. And I was thinking... why don't we
do that here in rec.games.frp.misc as well?

So, what have you been playing in March 2024?

I had

Shadowrun 3rd edition
We have a campaign set in the 2050s right now via discord/google meets.
It started as an idea to play through the really old modules, but one of
our players just did a scenario she came up herself.
I have the suspicion she came up with that while watching TV, as the
whole scenario was about trying to ruin a chef's 15 minutes of fame on
television.
Unfortunately we are somewhat too careful about our runs, and my combat
oriented character really had a hard time trying to find something to do
that wasn't coming up with bad ideas.

Barrowmaze (Alex Schroeder's Halberds rules)
I am on a discord server where two DMs are running their own versions of
Stonehell and Barrowmaze in a shared setting. This is all in short 2h
time slots only focused on the actual dungeon delve part of the
adventure. As this is an open table format and I was rather busy with
work and family stuff I didn't manage to attend more than once though. I
think the DMs also got a bit distracted by other games.

Troika!
Well, technically we are doing a PbP on campaignwiki.games,
unfortunately it seems that one fell asleep. Which in my own experience
can happen with PbP games. I did post a few posts though. Troika! still
is a game that feels somewhat elusive to me. I just can't get a proper
grasp on what it is trying to do.

So, what have you been playing, if anything?

Re: What have you been playing in MARCH 2024?

<uv1124$3i5tm$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=201&group=rec.games.frp.misc#201

From: justis...@yahoo.com (Justisaur)
Newsgroups: rec.games.frp.misc
Subject: Re: What have you been playing in MARCH 2024?
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 08:04:35 -0700
 by: Justisaur - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 15:04 UTC

On 4/8/2024 5:20 AM, Kyonshi wrote:
> Spalls is doing this all the time in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action, which
> for some reason is the only one of those computer game groups that seem
> to get any kind of real engagement. And I was thinking... why don't we
> do that here in rec.games.frp.misc as well?

I tried to do that years ago, and the problem was no one was doing much,
of course that was after the group had mostly died.

> So, what have you been playing in March 2024?

None. I haven't played or run anything in more than a year now. My
last was January of last year running Dungeon Robber (the tabletop
version) on Rpol which does play by post. Unfortunately I burned out on
it as I was posting way too frequently. I also found a lot of flaws that
were irritating to me, I wanted to fix but would likely require a
reboot, and I was down to 3 players who really only wanted to play solo.

It seems to be getting harder and harder to get players who are
interested in non-5e play. Or maybe I've picked up bad habits and am no
longer a good DM. I'm not sure. Ah for the days I was running 2e with
7 players for years on end.

--
-Justisaur

ø-ø
(\_/)\
`-'\ `--.___,
¶¬'\( ,_.-'
\\
^'

Re: What have you been playing in MARCH 2024?

<memo.20240408175012.11668C@jgd.cix.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=204&group=rec.games.frp.misc#204

From: jgd...@cix.co.uk (John Dallman)
Newsgroups: rec.games.frp.misc
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 17:50 +0100 (BST)
 by: John Dallman - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 16:50 UTC

In article <uv0nk6$2gne7$1@sibirocobombus.campaignwiki>,
gmkeros@gmail.com (Kyonshi) wrote:

> So, what have you been playing in March 2024?

One session of Blades in the Dark on Roll20. We find that the combination
of game and electronic support tries to overly mechanise the role-playing
part. That being the case, it is annoying that characters can end up with
nothing to do, when we get the job sufficiently right that there's no
combat.

One session of Honor & Intrigue, playing a privateers campaign in the
Caribbean in 1661.

Ran three sessions of GURPS 4e "Cold War Pulp" - a homebrew campaign that
applies a pulp sensibility to a 1950 with psychics, dero, UFOs and
further weirdness.

Ran one session of Lions, Tigers & Dragons, an occult WWII campaign set
in British-ruled India.

John

Re: What have you been playing in MARCH 2024?

<uv2v7e$3bvje$3@sibirocobombus.campaignwiki>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=207&group=rec.games.frp.misc#207

From: gmke...@gmail.com (Kyonshi)
Newsgroups: rec.games.frp.misc
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 10:21:01 +0200
 by: Kyonshi - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 08:21 UTC

On 4/8/2024 5:04 PM, Justisaur wrote:
> On 4/8/2024 5:20 AM, Kyonshi wrote:
>> Spalls is doing this all the time in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
>> which for some reason is the only one of those computer game groups
>> that seem to get any kind of real engagement. And I was thinking...
>> why don't we do that here in rec.games.frp.misc as well?
>
> I tried to do that years ago, and the problem was no one was doing much,
> of course that was after the group had mostly died.

Well, that's why I will try to do this a bit now. Maybe we can actually
get some discussion going again.

>> So, what have you been playing in March 2024?
>
> None.  I haven't played or run anything in more than a year now.  My
> last was January of last year running Dungeon Robber (the tabletop
> version) on Rpol which does play by post.  Unfortunately I burned out on
> it as I was posting way too frequently. I also found a lot of flaws that
> were irritating to me, I wanted to fix but would likely require a
> reboot, and I was down to 3 players who really only wanted to play solo.

What's Dungeon Robber?

> It seems to be getting harder and harder to get players who are
> interested in non-5e play.  Or maybe I've picked up bad habits and am no
> longer a good DM.  I'm not sure.  Ah for the days I was running 2e with
> 7 players for years on end.

I sure hope not, I still haven't jumped on the 5e bandwagon. I just
don't feel enthused enough about the game to actually buy the books (or
even read that far into material that's in the public.

Re: What have you been playing in MARCH 2024?

<uv2v7f$3bvje$4@sibirocobombus.campaignwiki>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=208&group=rec.games.frp.misc#208

From: gmke...@gmail.com (Kyonshi)
Newsgroups: rec.games.frp.misc
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 10:17:50 +0200
 by: Kyonshi - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 08:17 UTC

On 4/8/2024 6:50 PM, John Dallman wrote:
> In article <uv0nk6$2gne7$1@sibirocobombus.campaignwiki>,
> gmkeros@gmail.com (Kyonshi) wrote:
>
>> So, what have you been playing in March 2024?
>
> One session of Blades in the Dark on Roll20. We find that the combination
> of game and electronic support tries to overly mechanise the role-playing
> part. That being the case, it is annoying that characters can end up with
> nothing to do, when we get the job sufficiently right that there's no
> combat.
>
> One session of Honor & Intrigue, playing a privateers campaign in the
> Caribbean in 1661.
>
> Ran three sessions of GURPS 4e "Cold War Pulp" - a homebrew campaign that
> applies a pulp sensibility to a 1950 with psychics, dero, UFOs and
> further weirdness.
>
> Ran one session of Lions, Tigers & Dragons, an occult WWII campaign set
> in British-ruled India.
>
> John

I don't know Honor and Intrigue and Lions, Tigers, and Dragons, what
sort of systems are these?

Re: What have you been playing in MARCH 2024?

<uv3m7l$9meh$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=211&group=rec.games.frp.misc#211

From: justis...@yahoo.com (Justisaur)
Newsgroups: rec.games.frp.misc
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 08:18:12 -0700
 by: Justisaur - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 15:18 UTC

On 4/9/2024 1:21 AM, Kyonshi wrote:
> On 4/8/2024 5:04 PM, Justisaur wrote:
>> On 4/8/2024 5:20 AM, Kyonshi wrote:
>>> Spalls is doing this all the time in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
>>> which for some reason is the only one of those computer game groups
>>> that seem to get any kind of real engagement. And I was thinking...
>>> why don't we do that here in rec.games.frp.misc as well?
>>
>> I tried to do that years ago, and the problem was no one was doing
>> much, of course that was after the group had mostly died.
>
> Well, that's why I will try to do this a bit now. Maybe we can actually
> get some discussion going again.

Actually that was on r.g.f.dnd that I tried that.

Too easy to forget what group I'm in. There's a lot more discussion
elsewhere for old D&D, though I don't know of any more broad than that.
Dragonsfoot does have an "Other Games" thread which sees a little
discussion for things like WEG Star Wars and other games. It looks like
the old Gama World email group finally dried up too, which was hanging
on longer than here.

Things seem to be heading toward Discord, but it's too private, gated
and fragmented for me.

>>> So, what have you been playing in March 2024?
>>
>> None.  I haven't played or run anything in more than a year now.  My
>> last was January of last year running Dungeon Robber (the tabletop
>> version) on Rpol which does play by post.  Unfortunately I burned out
>> on it as I was posting way too frequently. I also found a lot of flaws
>> that were irritating to me, I wanted to fix but would likely require a
>> reboot, and I was down to 3 players who really only wanted to play solo.
>
> What's Dungeon Robber?

See my other reply.

>> It seems to be getting harder and harder to get players who are
>> interested in non-5e play.  Or maybe I've picked up bad habits and am
>> no longer a good DM.  I'm not sure.  Ah for the days I was running 2e
>> with 7 players for years on end.
>>

> I sure hope not, I still haven't jumped on the 5e bandwagon. I just
> don't feel enthused enough about the game to actually buy the books (or
> even read that far into material that's in the public.

It feels like 5e is dying a bit now too. A lot of people talk
Pathfinder, but that's like 3.5 with more insane overpowered superheroes
to me, which was the wrong way to go in my opinion. Yes players love
their powercreep, but it makes the game too hard to DM.

--
-Justisaur

ø-ø
(\_/)\
`-'\ `--.___,
¶¬'\( ,_.-'
\\
^'

Re: What have you been playing in MARCH 2024?

<memo.20240409173846.11668E@jgd.cix.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=212&group=rec.games.frp.misc#212

From: jgd...@cix.co.uk (John Dallman)
Newsgroups: rec.games.frp.misc
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 17:38 +0100 (BST)
 by: John Dallman - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 16:38 UTC

In article <uv2v7f$3bvje$4@sibirocobombus.campaignwiki>,
gmkeros@gmail.com (Kyonshi) wrote:

> I don't know Honor and Intrigue and Lions, Tigers, and Dragons,
> what sort of systems are these?

Honor and Intrigue is a fairly lightweight system, based on Barbarians of
Lemuria and optimised for swashbuckling action.

<https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/product/99286/Honor--Intrigue>

Lions, Tigers, and Dragons isn't a system, that was me missing out some
words by mistake. It's the campaign title; the system is GURPS 4e.

John

Re: What have you been playing in MARCH 2024?

<uv5ht4$8nc2$1@sibirocobombus.campaignwiki>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=214&group=rec.games.frp.misc#214

From: gmke...@gmail.com (Kyonshi)
Newsgroups: rec.games.frp.misc
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 09:40:48 +0200
 by: Kyonshi - Wed, 10 Apr 2024 07:40 UTC

On 4/9/2024 5:18 PM, Justisaur wrote:

> It feels like 5e is dying a bit now too.  A lot of people talk
> Pathfinder, but that's like 3.5 with more insane overpowered superheroes
> to me, which was the wrong way to go in my opinion.  Yes players love
> their powercreep, but it makes the game too hard to DM.

I think one of the main reasons is that despite the name recognition DnD
is not what people want to play. They are in the love of the idea of
DnD, but they want a freeform kind of game where everything is possible.
But they also want the rules structure that DnD gives them.
But other people want to play DnD specifically and love the rules.

There has been an exodus from DnD happening for a while as people wanted
more narrative games, but no clear winner has established itself (as
usual). DnD just has too much name recognition.

For a while it was Quest which people were pushing, I assume soon it
will be Daggerheart (I already saw some people gushing about that one).

Re: What have you been playing in MARCH 2024?

<uv5li1$96f4$2@sibirocobombus.campaignwiki>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=218&group=rec.games.frp.misc#218

From: gmke...@gmail.com (Kyonshi)
Newsgroups: rec.games.frp.misc
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 11:13:25 +0200
 by: Kyonshi - Wed, 10 Apr 2024 09:13 UTC

On 4/9/2024 6:38 PM, John Dallman wrote:
> In article <uv2v7f$3bvje$4@sibirocobombus.campaignwiki>,
> gmkeros@gmail.com (Kyonshi) wrote:
>
>> I don't know Honor and Intrigue and Lions, Tigers, and Dragons,
>> what sort of systems are these?
>
> Honor and Intrigue is a fairly lightweight system, based on Barbarians of
> Lemuria and optimised for swashbuckling action.
>
> <https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/product/99286/Honor--Intrigue>
>
> Lions, Tigers, and Dragons isn't a system, that was me missing out some
> words by mistake. It's the campaign title; the system is GURPS 4e.
>
> John

Ah, good old GURPS. I never used it myself, but I love using the
sourcebooks for other games.

Re: What have you been playing in MARCH 2024?

<uv6jlk$cijp$1@sibirocobombus.campaignwiki>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=219&group=rec.games.frp.misc#219

From: doz...@tilde.team (dozens)
Newsgroups: rec.games.frp.misc
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 11:52:52 -0600
 by: dozens - Wed, 10 Apr 2024 17:52 UTC

On 4/8/24 6:20 AM, Kyonshi wrote:
> Spalls is doing this all the time in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action, which
> for some reason is the only one of those computer game groups that seem
> to get any kind of real engagement. And I was thinking... why don't we
> do that here in rec.games.frp.misc as well?
>
> So, what have you been playing in March 2024?

1. Girl By Moonlight

A weekly game with the Lantern Light crew of Magic Girl adventures, and
feelings! Easily the best game I've played recently. The first Belonging
Outside Belonging/PbtA game that has really clicked for me. Zoom
audio/video, no vtt.

https://evilhat.itch.io/girl-by-moonlight

https://linktr.ee/lanternlightadventures

2. Delta Green

Playing some Government Spook Call of Cthulhu. Only a couple sessions
in. Pretty fun so far! Kind of grim. Discord audio/video + Foundry vtt.

https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/product/236576/delta-green-the-role-playing-game

3. D&D 5e

A regular game of homebrew politics and intrigue in the Dark Sun
setting. The only in-person, face-to-face, all analog game I'm playing
at the moment. It's fun!

4. Troika!

Play by post on netnews that I am kind of neglecting at the moment, but
want to get back into.

https://www.troikarpg.com/

5. Dark Conspiracy / Die 100 Times

Play by post text on Discord. Thematically kind of the same as the Delta
Green game I'm playing: investigate the Strangeness and try not to be
consumed by it. Die 100 Times is probably the perfect lightweight d100
system, and it makes me wish we were using it for Delta Green actually.

https://www.darkconspiracytherpg.info/game-index/2nd-edition-catalogue/

https://alexandre-kobayashi.itch.io/die-a-hundred-times

interests / rec.games.frp.misc / Re: What have you been playing in MARCH 2024?