Be cautious in your daily affairs.

interests / soc.history.medieval / Re: Transportation parallels?

SubjectAuthor
* Transportation parallels?Surreyman
`* Re: Transportation parallels?a425couple
 `* Re: Transportation parallels?a425couple
  `* Re: Transportation parallels?Surreyman
   `* Re: Transportation parallels?a425couple
    `* Re: Transportation parallels?Surreyman
     `- Re: Transportation parallels?a425couple

1
Transportation parallels?

<dc090682-598a-4cac-9cd7-6e27efe07b90n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2191&group=soc.history.medieval#2191

Newsgroups: soc.history.medieval
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2023 02:47:04 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Transportation parallels?
From: alanspen...@googlemail.com (Surreyman)
 by: Surreyman - Tue, 21 Mar 2023 09:47 UTC

Is there much difference between the UK's 19th. century transportation of criminals to Australia, and the transportation of immigrants to Rwanda - apart from the fact that the latter haven't even stolen a loaf of bread yet .........

Re: Transportation parallels?

<HikSL.1651751$iU59.1099728@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2192&group=soc.history.medieval#2192

Subject: Re: Transportation parallels?
Newsgroups: soc.history.medieval
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2023 08:45:42 -0700
 by: a425couple - Tue, 21 Mar 2023 15:45 UTC

On 3/21/23 02:47, Surreyman wrote:
> Is there much difference between the UK's 19th. century transportation of criminals to Australia, and the transportation of immigrants to Rwanda - apart from the fact that the latter haven't even stolen a loaf of bread yet .........

Interesting, (I guess??)

I googled, now I see:

What is the UK's plan to send asylum seekers to Rwanda? - BBC

BBC
Feb 23, 2023 — Rwanda says it can process 1,000 asylum seekers during
the trial period, but has capacity for more.

Britain tenders $95 million contract to transport migrants

Reuters
4 days ago — Britain has tendered a 78 million pound ($94.75 million)
contract for the transport of migrants to partner countries including
Rwanda as ...

U.K. can send asylum-seekers to Rwanda, High Court rules
NPR
Dec 19, 2022 — The ruling comes months after the government introduced a
plan to deport hundreds of potential asylum-seekers to Rwanda.
Immigration lawyers ...

UK strikes deal to transport asylum seekers to Rwanda

Financial Times
Apr 14, 2022 — Boris Johnson has announced plans to transport to Rwanda
“tens of thousands” of migrants seeking asylum in the UK, in an attempt
to deter ...

Re: Transportation parallels?

<JwkSL.1503432$iS99.1488912@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2193&group=soc.history.medieval#2193

Newsgroups: soc.history.medieval
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2023 09:00:40 -0700
 by: a425couple - Tue, 21 Mar 2023 16:00 UTC

On 3/21/23 08:45, a425couple wrote:
> On 3/21/23 02:47, Surreyman wrote:
>> Is there much difference between the UK's 19th. century
transportation of criminals to Australia, and the transportation of
immigrants to Rwanda - apart from the fact that the latter haven't even
stolen a loaf of bread yet .........

> Interesting, (I guess??)
>
> I googled, now I see:
>

> What is the UK's plan to send asylum seekers to Rwanda? - BBC
>
> BBC
> Feb 23, 2023 — Rwanda says it can process 1,000 asylum seekers during
the trial period, but has capacity for more.

I read in the first:

"The government says this will deter people arriving in the UK through
"illegal, dangerous or unnecessary methods", such as on small boats
which cross the English Channel.

However, the numbers crossing have not fallen since the policy was
announced on 14 April 2022.

More than 45,700 people used this route to come to the UK in 2022, the
highest figure since records began.

Chart showing the number of people crossing the Channel in small boats
2019-2023

--- I see the chart show:
2019 ///
2020 nearing 10,000
2021 nearly 30,000
2022 around 46,000
2023 more so far than in 2022."

Does a nation / state have a right to tell 'people'
that they can not enter?

Re: Transportation parallels?

<cf8cb153-c804-4618-9b48-74e26ad095b6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2194&group=soc.history.medieval#2194

Newsgroups: soc.history.medieval
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2023 12:14:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: alanspen...@googlemail.com (Surreyman)
 by: Surreyman - Tue, 21 Mar 2023 19:14 UTC

On Tuesday, March 21, 2023 at 4:00:43 PM UTC, a425couple wrote:
> On 3/21/23 08:45, a425couple wrote:
> > On 3/21/23 02:47, Surreyman wrote:
> >> Is there much difference between the UK's 19th. century
> transportation of criminals to Australia, and the transportation of
> immigrants to Rwanda - apart from the fact that the latter haven't even
> stolen a loaf of bread yet .........
> >
> > Interesting, (I guess??)
> >
> > I googled, now I see:
> >

> > What is the UK's plan to send asylum seekers to Rwanda? - BBC
> >
> > BBC
> > Feb 23, 2023 — Rwanda says it can process 1,000 asylum seekers during
> the trial period, but has capacity for more.
> >
> I read in the first:
>
> "The government says this will deter people arriving in the UK through
> "illegal, dangerous or unnecessary methods", such as on small boats
> which cross the English Channel.
>
> However, the numbers crossing have not fallen since the policy was
> announced on 14 April 2022.
>
> More than 45,700 people used this route to come to the UK in 2022, the
> highest figure since records began.
>
> Chart showing the number of people crossing the Channel in small boats
> 2019-2023
>
> --- I see the chart show:
> 2019 ///
> 2020 nearing 10,000
> 2021 nearly 30,000
> 2022 around 46,000
> 2023 more so far than in 2022."
>
> Does a nation / state have a right to tell 'people'
> that they can not enter?

And the Home Secretary is now extolling the beautiful conditions that the immigrants just can't wait to get to - some deterrent!
A total xxxxxxx-up all round.

Re: Transportation parallels?

<KgpTL.1780651$9sn9.426050@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2198&group=soc.history.medieval#2198

Newsgroups: soc.history.medieval
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 15:14:02 -0700
 by: a425couple - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 22:14 UTC

On 3/21/23 12:14, Surreyman wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 21, 2023 at 4:00:43 PM UTC, a425couple wrote:
>> transportation of criminals to Australia, and the transportation of
>> immigrants to Rwanda - apart from the fact that the latter haven't even
>> stolen a loaf of bread yet .........
>>>
>>> Interesting, (I guess??)
>>>
>>> I googled, now I see:
>>>
>>> ------

>> Does a nation / state have a right to tell 'people'
>> that they can not enter?
>
> And the Home Secretary is now extolling the beautiful conditions that the immigrants just can't wait to get to - some deterrent!
> A total xxxxxxx-up all round.

Yo ! Surreyman,
Care to vent your opinions more?
Or am I so lost on this subject it is not worth it?

Meanwhile, I found and read an interesting one that mentions
both UK to Rwanda, and Australian deportations:

https://theconversation.com/a-toxic-policy-with-little-returns-lessons-for-the-uk-rwanda-deal-from-australia-and-the-us-201790

‘A toxic policy with little returns’ – lessons for the UK-Rwanda deal
from Australia and the US
Published: March 24, 2023 9.11am EDT
Author
Julia Morris
Assistant Professor of International Studies, University of North
Carolina Wilmington

Disclosure statement
Julia Morris does not work for, consult, own shares in or receive
funding from any company or organization that would benefit from this
article, and has disclosed no relevant affiliations beyond their
academic appointment.

CC BY ND
We believe in the free flow of information
Republish our articles for free, online or in print, under a Creative
Commons license.

One afternoon in mid-June, I sat with Ethan*, a local islander, at
Nauru’s boat harbour. He was speaking about how life had changed in the
country since the asylum deal with Australia was agreed. Just a few
years before my arrival in 2016, the small Pacific island had once again
been financed to process the asylum claims of migrants attempting to
reach Australia. If successful, refugees would be resettled locally
around the island. Successive Australian governments had taken a tough
zero-tolerance approach, making sure that anyone making their way by
boat without documentation would “never settle in Australia”.

Not far from where we sat, placards covered the fence of a refugee
resettlement compound, reading: “We’re refugees not criminals,” and
“Freedom is a Right Not a Crime, We Want Justice.”

“The thing is none of them want to be here,” Ethan explained, “and we
don’t know who these people are, they could be dangerous. Why else does
Australia not want them?” These fears were echoed to me numerous times
in Nauru. “I’m so worried about having the refugee children in our
school,” Sandra, --------snip

Re: Transportation parallels?

<10af26f1-0c5c-4533-9c31-1454908e6e09n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2199&group=soc.history.medieval#2199

Newsgroups: soc.history.medieval
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2023 01:14:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: alanspen...@googlemail.com (Surreyman)
 by: Surreyman - Sat, 25 Mar 2023 08:14 UTC

On Friday, March 24, 2023 at 10:14:04 PM UTC, a425couple wrote:
> On 3/21/23 12:14, Surreyman wrote:
> >> transportation of criminals to Australia, and the transportation of
> >> immigrants to Rwanda - apart from the fact that the latter haven't even
> >> stolen a loaf of bread yet .........

> >> Does a nation / state have a right to tell 'people'
> >> that they can not enter?
> >
> > And the Home Secretary is now extolling the beautiful conditions that the immigrants just can't wait to get to - some deterrent!
> > A total xxxxxxx-up all round.
> Yo ! Surreyman,
> Care to vent your opinions more?
> Or am I so lost on this subject it is not worth it?
>
> Meanwhile, I found and read an interesting one that mentions
> both UK to Rwanda, and Australian deportations:
>
> https://theconversation.com/a-toxic-policy-with-little-returns-lessons-for-the-uk-rwanda-deal-from-australia-and-the-us-201790
>
> ‘A toxic policy with little returns’ – lessons for the UK-Rwanda deal
> from Australia and the US
> Published: March 24, 2023 9.11am EDT
> Author
> Julia Morris
> Assistant Professor of International Studies, University of North
> Carolina Wilmington
>
> Disclosure statement
> Julia Morris does not work for, consult, own shares in or receive
> funding from any company or organization that would benefit from this
> article, and has disclosed no relevant affiliations beyond their
> academic appointment.
>
> CC BY ND
> We believe in the free flow of information
> Republish our articles for free, online or in print, under a Creative
> Commons license.
>
> One afternoon in mid-June, I sat with Ethan*, a local islander, at
> Nauru’s boat harbour. He was speaking about how life had changed in the
> country since the asylum deal with Australia was agreed. Just a few
> years before my arrival in 2016, the small Pacific island had once again
> been financed to process the asylum claims of migrants attempting to
> reach Australia. If successful, refugees would be resettled locally
> around the island. Successive Australian governments had taken a tough
> zero-tolerance approach, making sure that anyone making their way by
> boat without documentation would “never settle in Australia”.
>
> Not far from where we sat, placards covered the fence of a refugee
> resettlement compound, reading: “We’re refugees not criminals,” and
> “Freedom is a Right Not a Crime, We Want Justice.”
>
> “The thing is none of them want to be here,” Ethan explained, “and we
> don’t know who these people are, they could be dangerous. Why else does
> Australia not want them?” These fears were echoed to me numerous times
> in Nauru. “I’m so worried about having the refugee children in our
> school,” Sandra, --------snip

I wasn't aware of the Nauru parallel - very telling - apart from the fact that Rwanda also has the added attractions of having fairly recently murdered around one million of its inhabitants on racist grounds ....
Gary Lineker was spot on with his comments - and was temporarily kicked out of the BBC.
I just cannot comprehend how any civilised nation can even consider such policies.
Revolting.
And maybe we should.

Re: Transportation parallels?

<TjEVL.215239$wfQc.204464@fx43.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2203&group=soc.history.medieval#2203

Newsgroups: soc.history.medieval,soc.history.war.misc
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 09:59:31 -0700
 by: a425couple - Fri, 31 Mar 2023 16:59 UTC

---------------

>> “The thing is none of them want to be here,” Ethan explained, “and we
>> don’t know who these people are, they could be dangerous. Why else does
>> Australia not want them?” These fears were echoed to me numerous times
>> in Nauru. “I’m so worried about having the refugee children in our
>> school,” Sandra, --------snip
>
> I wasn't aware of the Nauru parallel - very telling - apart from the fact that Rwanda also has the added attractions of having fairly recently murdered around one million of its inhabitants on racist grounds ....
> Gary Lineker was spot on with his comments - and was temporarily kicked out of the BBC.
> I just cannot comprehend how any civilised nation can even consider such policies.
> Revolting.
> And maybe we should.

Dear Surreyman, I understand you are upset and unhappy.
You have not clearly said what you think should be done.

Are you feeling that any foreign individual who gets upon
the shores / airport of the United Kingdom should be allowed
to stay and do (work / wander / eat / sleep) as they wish?

Did you feel that way in 1941 and 1942?

What is your opinion on Muammar Al Gaddafi's 2006 Speech?

TIMBUKTU 10 APRIL 2006
Muammar Al Gaddafi's Speech:
Islam Will Conquer Europe Without Firing a Shot.
If we want to mend the state of humanity, and live in a global village,
beacause of the globalization, we must search for the true Bible,
beacause the Bible that exists today is a forgery. Today's Bible does
not mention Muhammad, whereas our Lord's Bible mentions Muhammad
repeatedly. We must search for the Gospel of Barnabas, of St. Barnabas,
beacause this is the true gospel. This gospel explicitfy mentions that
Muhammad would corne after Jesus. Today , we are correcting human
history from here, in Timbuktu.
WE HAVE FIFTY MILLION MUSLIMS IN EUROPE. THERE ARE SIGNS THAT ALLAH WILL
GRANT ISLAM VICTORY IN EUROPE - WITHOUT SWORDS, WITHOUT GUNS, WITHOUT
MILITARY CONQUESTS. THE FIFTY MILLION MUSLIMS OF EUROPE WILL TURN IT
INTO A MUSLIM CONTINENT WITHIN A FEW DECADES. ALLAH MOBILIZES THE MUSLIM
NATION OF TURKEY, AND ADDS IT TO THE EUROPEAN UNION. THAT'S ANOTHER 50
MILLION MUSLIMS. THERE WILL BE 100 MILLION MUSLIMS IN EUROPE. ALBANIA ,
WHICH IS A MUSLIM COUNTRY, HAS ALREADY ENTERED THE EU. BOSNIA , WHICH IS
A MUSLIM COUNTRY, HAS ALREADY ENTERED THE EU. 50% PERCENT OF ITS
CITIZENS ARE MUSLIMS. EUROPE IS IN A PREDICAMENT, AND SO IS AMERICA.
THEY SHOULD AGREE TO BECOME ISLAMIC IN THE COURSE OF TIME, OR ELSE
DECLARE WAR ON THE MUSLIMS.

The USA is quite fortunate. We have large numbers coming in from the
south, that are mostly Roman Catholic. Also they have a long history
of assimilating well. But I do think the people, through the
government, does have a right and duty to control immigration by
numbers and by individuals.

interests / soc.history.medieval / Re: Transportation parallels?