You will inherit some money or a small piece of land.

interests / rec.outdoors.rv-travel / Time of day pricing - the final chapter

SubjectAuthor
* Time of day pricing - the final chapterTechnobarbarian
+- Re: Time of day pricing - the final chapterGeorge Anthony
`* Re: Time of day pricing - the final chapterbfh
 `* Re: Time of day pricing - the final chapterTechnobarbarian
  `* Re: Time of day pricing - the final chapterGeorge Anthony
   +- Re: Time of day pricing - the final chapterbfh
   `* Re: Time of day pricing - the final chapterTechnobarbarian
    `- Re: Time of day pricing - the final chapterGeorge.Anthony

1
Time of day pricing - the final chapter

<MPG.407afb45e5b92d71989775@reader80.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=22227&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#22227

From: technoba...@gmail.com (Technobarbarian)
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Subject: Time of day pricing - the final chapter
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2024 07:26:11 -0700
 by: Technobarbarian - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 14:26 UTC

My expiriment with time of day pricing for electricity is ending
soon. It looks like it was an expiriment for the electric company too.
The time of day pricing program ends at the end of 2024.

Right from the start the electric company told me I would save money
during the Winter, but I would lose some of those savings during the
Summer. That has proven to be correct. Over the past year I saved $55 on
time of day pricing. That's pretty good for the less than 5 minutes of
work it took to change my pricing model. If I could get more of that
sort of work I would make over $660 an hour in savings. As I said
before, the easiest way to make money is by not spending it.

They have been telling me I could change my pricing model anytime I
wanted to. That isn't completely true. I can go back to standard pricing
anytime, but if I do that I can't return to time of day pricing for a
year. They closed open enrollment at the beginning of the year. After
2024 PGE will not be offering time of day pricing to residential
customers. Last year I started losing money on time of day pricing in
May. This year I will return to standard pricing at the end of March and
pocket my savings.

TB

Re: Time of day pricing - the final chapter

<uurnjb$24u4j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=22228&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#22228

From: ganth...@gmail.org (George Anthony)
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Subject: Re: Time of day pricing - the final chapter
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2024 09:52:28 -0500
 by: George Anthony - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 14:52 UTC

On 4/6/2024 9:26 AM, Technobarbarian wrote:

> My expiriment with time of day pricing for electricity is ending
> soon. It looks like it was an expiriment for the electric company too.
> The time of day pricing program ends at the end of 2024.
>
> Right from the start the electric company told me I would save money
> during the Winter, but I would lose some of those savings during the
> Summer. That has proven to be correct. Over the past year I saved $55 on
> time of day pricing. That's pretty good for the less than 5 minutes of
> work it took to change my pricing model. If I could get more of that
> sort of work I would make over $660 an hour in savings. As I said
> before, the easiest way to make money is by not spending it.
>
> They have been telling me I could change my pricing model anytime I
> wanted to. That isn't completely true. I can go back to standard pricing
> anytime, but if I do that I can't return to time of day pricing for a
> year. They closed open enrollment at the beginning of the year. After
> 2024 PGE will not be offering time of day pricing to residential
> customers. Last year I started losing money on time of day pricing in
> May. This year I will return to standard pricing at the end of March and
> pocket my savings.
>
> TB

That's a far cry from the $8.7mil you saved a couple of years ago.

Re: Time of day pricing - the final chapter

<_hfQN.385489$q3F7.207381@fx45.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=22229&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#22229

Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
From: redy...@rye.net (bfh)
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2024 13:06:01 -0400
 by: bfh - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 17:06 UTC

Technobarbarian wrote:

> My expiriment with time of day pricing for electricity is ending
> soon. It looks like it was an expiriment for the electric company too.
> The time of day pricing program ends at the end of 2024.

Did they give a reason for why they're ending it?

--
bill

Re: Time of day pricing - the final chapter

<MPG.407b2debb5f0125989776@reader80.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=22231&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#22231

From: technoba...@gmail.com (Technobarbarian)
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2024 11:01:53 -0700
 by: Technobarbarian - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 18:01 UTC

In article <_hfQN.385489$q3F7.207381@fx45.iad>, redydog@rye.net says...
> Subject: Re: Time of day pricing - the final chapter
> From: bfh <redydog@rye.net>
> Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
>
> Technobarbarian wrote:
> >

> > My expiriment with time of day pricing for electricity is ending
> > soon. It looks like it was an expiriment for the electric company too.
> > The time of day pricing program ends at the end of 2024.
>
> Did they give a reason for why they're ending it?

They didn't say. My guess is that this was an expiriment to see
how much they could cut peak demand and they didn't cut it enough to pay
for what it cost them.

Originally they told me that if I continued to use electricity the
way I had been using it I would save around $30 a year, with all the
real savings during the Winter. On Sundays and late at night I pay
almost nothing for electricity. The rest of the time I pay a premium
over the regular residential rate and the premium is higher during peak
use hours. The biggest problem in all of that for me is that, like many
people, I'm frequently not home for most of Sunday. I shifted the load a
bit, but most of my savings was because of our regular use pattern and a
rate increase. IOW I don't think I helped them cut peak demand by a
significan't amount, and they know this from their records.

I plan to be in Seaside this Sunday. I had hoped to be digging for
razor clams early Monday morning, but it looks like it's going to be too
wet for that. The clams tend to hide out during rain storms. Ah well,
it's the coast and the beaches. We'll find something to do.

TB

Re: Time of day pricing - the final chapter

<uus7h0$28ku4$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=22235&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#22235

From: ganth...@gmail.org (George Anthony)
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2024 14:24:17 -0500
 by: George Anthony - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 19:24 UTC

On 4/6/2024 1:01 PM, Technobarbarian wrote:
> In article <_hfQN.385489$q3F7.207381@fx45.iad>, redydog@rye.net says...
>> Subject: Re: Time of day pricing - the final chapter
>> From: bfh <redydog@rye.net>
>> Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
>>
>> Technobarbarian wrote:
>>>

>>> My expiriment with time of day pricing for electricity is ending
>>> soon. It looks like it was an expiriment for the electric company too.
>>> The time of day pricing program ends at the end of 2024.
>>
>> Did they give a reason for why they're ending it?
>>

> They didn't say. My guess is that this was an expiriment to see
> how much they could cut peak demand and they didn't cut it enough to pay
> for what it cost them.
>
> Originally they told me that if I continued to use electricity the
> way I had been using it I would save around $30 a year, with all the
> real savings during the Winter. On Sundays and late at night I pay
> almost nothing for electricity. The rest of the time I pay a premium
> over the regular residential rate and the premium is higher during peak
> use hours. The biggest problem in all of that for me is that, like many
> people, I'm frequently not home for most of Sunday. I shifted the load a
> bit, but most of my savings was because of our regular use pattern and a
> rate increase. IOW I don't think I helped them cut peak demand by a
> significan't amount, and they know this from their records.
>
> I plan to be in Seaside this Sunday. I had hoped to be digging for
> razor clams early Monday morning, but it looks like it's going to be too
> wet for that. The clams tend to hide out during rain storms. Ah well,
> it's the coast and the beaches. We'll find something to do.
>
> TB

So, the "experiment" failed.

Re: Time of day pricing - the final chapter

<juiQN.385492$q3F7.41692@fx45.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=22237&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#22237

Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
From: redy...@rye.net (bfh)
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2024 16:43:58 -0400
 by: bfh - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 20:43 UTC

George Anthony wrote:
> On 4/6/2024 1:01 PM, Technobarbarian wrote:
>> In article <_hfQN.385489$q3F7.207381@fx45.iad>, redydog@rye.net says...
>>> Subject: Re: Time of day pricing - the final chapter
>>> From: bfh <redydog@rye.net>
>>> Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel

>>> Did they give a reason for why they're ending it?
>>>

>>        They didn't say. My guess is that this was an expiriment to see
>> how much they could cut peak demand and they didn't cut it enough to
>> pay
>> for what it cost them.
>>
>>        Originally they told me that if I continued to use
>> electricity the
>> way I had been using it I would save around $30 a year, with all the
>> real savings during the Winter. On Sundays and late at night I pay
>> almost nothing for electricity. The rest of the time I pay a premium
>> over the regular residential rate and the premium is higher during peak
>> use hours. The biggest problem in all of that for me is that, like many
>> people, I'm frequently not home for most of Sunday. I shifted the
>> load a
>> bit, but most of my savings was because of our regular use pattern
>> and a
>> rate increase. IOW I don't think I helped them cut peak demand by a
>> significan't amount, and they know this from their records.
>>
>>       I plan to be in Seaside this Sunday. I had hoped to be digging
>> for
>> razor clams early Monday morning, but it looks like it's going to be
>> too
>> wet for that. The clams tend to hide out during rain storms. Ah well,
>> it's the coast and the beaches. We'll find something to do.
>>
>> TB
>
> So, the "experiment" failed.

They'll probably conduct an investigation and discover that there was
nothing wrong with the experiment - it was the implementation that was
problematic. At the end of the day going forward, somebody will hold
somebody accountable for inefficacious implementation.

--
bill

Re: Time of day pricing - the final chapter

<MPG.407ba4a05e9cb61e989778@reader80.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=22239&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#22239

From: technoba...@gmail.com (Technobarbarian)
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2024 19:28:41 -0700
 by: Technobarbarian - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 02:28 UTC

In article <uus7h0$28ku4$2@dont-email.me>, ganthony@gmail.org says...

> On 4/6/2024 1:01 PM, Technobarbarian wrote:
> > In article <_hfQN.385489$q3F7.207381@fx45.iad>, redydog@rye.net says...
> >> Subject: Re: Time of day pricing - the final chapter
> >> From: bfh <redydog@rye.net>
> >> Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel

> >> Did they give a reason for why they're ending it?
> >>

> > They didn't say. My guess is that this was an expiriment to see
> > how much they could cut peak demand and they didn't cut it enough to pay
> > for what it cost them.
> >
> > Originally they told me that if I continued to use electricity the
> > way I had been using it I would save around $30 a year, with all the
> > real savings during the Winter. On Sundays and late at night I pay
> > almost nothing for electricity. The rest of the time I pay a premium
> > over the regular residential rate and the premium is higher during peak
> > use hours. The biggest problem in all of that for me is that, like many
> > people, I'm frequently not home for most of Sunday. I shifted the load a
> > bit, but most of my savings was because of our regular use pattern and a
> > rate increase. IOW I don't think I helped them cut peak demand by a
> > significan't amount, and they know this from their records.
> >
> > I plan to be in Seaside this Sunday. I had hoped to be digging for
> > razor clams early Monday morning, but it looks like it's going to be too
> > wet for that. The clams tend to hide out during rain storms. Ah well,
> > it's the coast and the beaches. We'll find something to do.
> >
> > TB
>
> So, the "experiment" failed.

That depends on your point of view. It worked great for me. I saved
enough money for a very nice dinner with very little effort. That is
about what I expected. I really don't know whether or not the power
company got anything out of the deal.

TB

Re: Time of day pricing - the final chapter

<uv0u38$3hnps$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=22243&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#22243

From: ganth...@gmail.net (George.Anthony)
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 14:14:00 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:hNxGKh7p7FMyGBbWNrQj4YkO8JA=
 by: George.Anthony - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 14:14 UTC

Technobarbarian <technobarbarian@gmail.com> wrote:
> In article <uus7h0$28ku4$2@dont-email.me>, ganthony@gmail.org says...
>>
>> On 4/6/2024 1:01 PM, Technobarbarian wrote:
>>> In article <_hfQN.385489$q3F7.207381@fx45.iad>, redydog@rye.net says...

>>> They didn't say. My guess is that this was an expiriment to see
>>> how much they could cut peak demand and they didn't cut it enough to pay
>>> for what it cost them.
>>>
>>> Originally they told me that if I continued to use electricity the
>>> way I had been using it I would save around $30 a year, with all the
>>> real savings during the Winter. On Sundays and late at night I pay
>>> almost nothing for electricity. The rest of the time I pay a premium
>>> over the regular residential rate and the premium is higher during peak
>>> use hours. The biggest problem in all of that for me is that, like many
>>> people, I'm frequently not home for most of Sunday. I shifted the load a
>>> bit, but most of my savings was because of our regular use pattern and a
>>> rate increase. IOW I don't think I helped them cut peak demand by a
>>> significan't amount, and they know this from their records.
>>>
>>> I plan to be in Seaside this Sunday. I had hoped to be digging for
>>> razor clams early Monday morning, but it looks like it's going to be too
>>> wet for that. The clams tend to hide out during rain storms. Ah well,
>>> it's the coast and the beaches. We'll find something to do.
>>>
>>> TB
>>
>> So, the "experiment" failed.
>
> That depends on your point of view. It worked great for me. I saved
> enough money for a very nice dinner with very little effort. That is
> about what I expected. I really don't know whether or not the power
> company got anything out of the deal.
>
> TB

Whoosh!

--
If you are better off today than you were three years ago, you are probably
an illegal alien.

interests / rec.outdoors.rv-travel / Time of day pricing - the final chapter