Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2023 09:36:02 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: "Ask Amy" - spendthrift husband
From: lenona...@yahoo.com (Lenona)
 by: Lenona - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 16:36 UTC

There don't seem to be many places to read comments on Amy's column, other than at the Washington Post, which I can't access right now.

Anyway, I'd love to hear what you all think.

https://journalnow.com/reader-remains-in-covid-lockdown/article_e578dbc3-e339-5b75-8c56-e4caf2b9cf4d.html

Dear Amy: I'm 25 years old. My husband is 28.

We have a 7-year-old child. Both of us work full-time. I'm also in college for my master's degree. We just bought a house.

Here's the problem. My husband constantly wants new things.

He wanted an ATV, so I let him buy a used one. Well, the used one isn't good enough, now.

Now he wants to spend $30,000 dollars on a new ATV.

That is as much as my car costs. I think it's ridiculous.

He is now telling me that he wants a new house. I tell him that maybe when I graduate and pay off my school loans, we can do that.

He doesn't understand that, gets mad at me, and leaves for an hour. I tried compromising, telling him how I feel, but nothing helps.

I don't know what to do. I am starting to feel like I'm being used and that he only loves me when he gets items. — The ATM

Dear ATM: You say you just bought a new house (impressive at your ages) — but your husband wants to buy a different new house?

I'm assuming that you two have been together for at least seven years, and if this spending drive is new for him, then I suggest that something is going on with him that he is not disclosing. I assume that your husband does in fact understand that you can't — or shouldn't — purchase all of the new toys he wants, but … he doesn't care.

You both would benefit from seeing a marriage and financial counselor.

interests / misc.consumers.frugal-living / "Ask Amy" - spendthrift husband