Newsgroups: soc.history.medieval
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Subject: OT - U.S. House approves resolution condemning support of Hamas,
Hezbollah on college campuses
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2023 12:17:05 -0800
 by: a425couple - Mon, 6 Nov 2023 20:17 UTC

Huge US bi-partisan support = 396-23.
Clear support from Republicans and Democrats.

https://thehill.com/policy/international/4291248-house-approves-resolution-condemning-support-hamas-hezbollah-campuses/

House approves resolution condemning support of Hamas, Hezbollah on
college campuses
BY MYCHAEL SCHNELL AND LEXI LONAS - 11/02/23 8:05 PM ET
SHARE
TWEET

The House approved a resolution Thursday condemning the support of
Hamas, Hezbollah and other terrorist organizations at higher education
institutions, a rebuke of the uproar that has taken place at college
campuses in the wake of Hamas’s attack on Israel last month.

The resolution — which the chamber cleared in a 396-23 vote — took aim
at colleges that have been embroiled in controversy over responses to
the Israel-Hamas war, declaring that the support of Hamas and Hezbollah
on campuses “may lead to the creation of a hostile environment for
Jewish students, faculty, and staff.”

It also calls on campus administrators to condemn antisemitism on
college campuses; ensure Jewish faculty, students and guests are able to
exercise free speech rights guaranteed to others without intimidation;
and urges the enforcement of federal civil rights laws meant to protect
Jewish students.

“Today, the People’s House sent a clear message to the nation: We firmly
reject evil, we strongly support Israel, and we will root out the rotten
ideologies found in our higher education system,” Rep. Burgess Owens
(R-Utah), the sponsor of the resolution, wrote in a statement Thursday.

Rep. Thomas Massie (R-Ky.) was the lone Republican to vote against the
resolution. He was joined by 22 Democrats, a handful of whom are members
of the Congressional Progressive Caucus.

The legislation lists a number of examples across multiple campuses
where either professors or students expressed support for Hamas, a
U.S.-designated terrorist organization, after it launched its attack on
Israel on Oct. 7.

One instance took place at The George Washington University, where
pro-Palestine students illuminated on the side of the library messages
that said “Free Palestine from the River to the Sea” and “Glory to our
Martyrs.”

During a pro-Palestinian rally at Cornell University, a professor said
he was “exhilarated” by Hamas’s attack on Israel and declared that
“Hamas has challenged the monopoly of violence,” according to The
Cornell Daily Sun. The professor, Russell Rickford, later apologized in
a statement “for the horrible choice of words that I used in a portion
of a speech that was intended to stress grassroots African American,
Jewish and Palestinian traditions of resistance to oppression.”

The resolution also noted that one of the most prominent pro-Palestine
groups on campus, Students for Justice in Palestine, released a
statement calling for a “day of resistance.”

Rep. Kathy Manning (D-N.C.), who is Jewish, slammed the antisemitism
that has been seen on college campuses amid the war between Israel and
Hamas.

“Antisemitism is a persistent, shape-shifting hatred that is an affront
to our values as Americans. It should be condemned by all. It has no
place on college campuses and universities or in our society,” she said
during debate on the House floor Wednesday.

“When antisemitism and bias against Jews takes hold on campus, it
deprives students of their equal right to an education and it harms
everyone in the campus community,” she later added.

Tensions have been running high at campuses as a rise in antisemitism
and anti-Muslim sentiments have grown.

On Tuesday, authorities arrested a Cornell University junior and charged
him with “posting threats to kill or injure another using interstate
communication” after he allegedly posted a threat to open fire at a
Kosher dining hall on campus.

The resolution condemning the support of Hamas and Hezbollah on college
campuses is one of a number of pieces of legislation the House has
approved in the wake of the war in the Middle East, and under the
leadership of newly minted Speaker Mike Johnson (R-La.).

Also on Thursday, the House approved a $14.3 billion Israel aid package.
Last week, the chamber approved a resolution backing Israel and
condemning Hamas.

TAGS CORNELL GEORGE WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY HAMAS HAMAS HEZBOLLAH
HEZBOLLAH HOUSE HOUSE THOMAS MASSIE UNIVERSITIES
Copyright 2023 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may
not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

SHARE
TWEET

Re: OT - U.S. House approves resolution condemning support of Hamas, Hezbollah on college campuses

<bt4jkip26o0q981lkqvuqbgat7cht4ee35@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2498&group=soc.history.medieval#2498

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: soc.history.medieval
Subject: Re: OT - U.S. House approves resolution condemning support of Hamas, Hezbollah on college campuses
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2023 17:41:54 -0800
 by: The Horny Goat - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 01:41 UTC

On Mon, 6 Nov 2023 12:17:05 -0800, a425couple <a425couple@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>One instance took place at The George Washington University, where
>pro-Palestine students illuminated on the side of the library messages
>that said “Free Palestine from the River to the Sea” and “Glory to our
>Martyrs.”

The trouble is that a lot of those carrying signs saying "from the
river to the sea' don't know WHICH river they're talking about and
what the consequence of actually doing so would be.

Most of the regulars here (ok a couple of exceptions!) know that "the
river" in question is the Jordan though most have figured out that
'the sea' must be the Meditteranean. A huge portion of those claiming
to be pro-Palestinian who are using that slogan emphatically DON'T
know what the achievement of that slogan would be.

A large number of those protesting are claiming Israeli treatment of
Palestinians is a 'genocide' which is remarkable given the Palestinian
population in 1948 vs now. If that's really a genocide then the
Israelis have got to have far exceeded the goofballs on Hogan's Heroes
for effective genocide!

The catch is that if you are advocating 'from the river to the sea'
you are advocating either the complete genocide of the state of Israel
or the forced relocation of the present population of Israel which is
by no means 100% Jewish.

Most of us would support a "two state solution" if it actually did
bring peace but advocating "from the river to the sea" is advocating
genocide and despite all the goofy things Congress occasionally does
is NOT something even the Squad is likely to advocate if expressed in
those terms.

Re: OT - U.S. House approves resolution condemning support of Hamas, Hezbollah on college campuses

<bgD2N.293149$2fS.118289@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2499&group=soc.history.medieval#2499

Hezbollah on college campuses
Newsgroups: soc.history.medieval
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 19:29:10 -0800
 by: a425couple - Wed, 8 Nov 2023 03:29 UTC

On 11/6/23 17:41, The Horny Goat wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Nov 2023 12:17:05 -0800, a425couple <a425couple@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> One instance took place at The George Washington University, where
>> pro-Palestine students illuminated on the side of the library messages
>> that said “Free Palestine from the River to the Sea” and “Glory to our
>> Martyrs.”
>
> The trouble is that a lot of those carrying signs saying "from the
> river to the sea' don't know WHICH river they're talking about and
> what the consequence of actually doing so would be.
>
> Most of the regulars here (ok a couple of exceptions!) know that "the
> river" in question is the Jordan though most have figured out that
> 'the sea' must be the Meditteranean. A huge portion of those claiming
> to be pro-Palestinian who are using that slogan emphatically DON'T
> know what the achievement of that slogan would be.
>
> A large number of those protesting are claiming Israeli treatment of
> Palestinians is a 'genocide' which is remarkable given the Palestinian
> population in 1948 vs now. If that's really a genocide then the
> Israelis have got to have far exceeded the goofballs on Hogan's Heroes
> for effective genocide!
>
> The catch is that if you are advocating 'from the river to the sea'
> you are advocating either the complete genocide of the state of Israel
> or the forced relocation of the present population of Israel which is
> by no means 100% Jewish.
>
> Most of us would support a "two state solution" if it actually did
> bring peace but advocating "from the river to the sea" is advocating
> genocide and despite all the goofy things Congress occasionally does
> is NOT something even the Squad is likely to advocate if expressed in
> those terms.

I fully agree with your:

> Most of us would support a "two state solution" if it actually did
> bring peace

and very much wished for that for decades.
But, sadly, I have lost a lot of hope this last decade.
Too many 'rulers' are getting their 'satisfiers' ** (power, prestige,
and sometimes wealth) by keeping the anger, hate, and
wishes for vengeance in place.

I appreciate and like Egypt. But my time there last year
made it even more clear that we would all be great fools
in even wishing them to become a democracy.

I'll try adding to this, and give a source of books on
the subject soon.

**
Herzberg's Two-Factor Theory Of Motivation-Hygiene
Simply Psychology
Sep 28, 2023 — According to Herzberg, whether or not dissatisfiers
outweigh satisfiers predict whether employees find their job interesting
and enjoyable ...
‎Definition · ‎Herzberg's Approach · ‎Motivation Factors · ‎Herzberg's
Hygiene Factors
also
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/3-key-factors-satisfier-dissatisfier-theory-product-vinay-nagaraju

interests / soc.history.medieval / Re: OT - U.S. House approves resolution condemning support of Hamas, Hezbollah on college campuses