It is sweet to let the mind unbend on occasion. -- Quintus Horatius Flaccus (Horace)

interests / soc.history.medieval / Re: Compare medieval dog names to those given to children in 2024

SubjectAuthor
* Compare medieval dog names to those given to children in 2024a425couple
`* Re: Compare medieval dog names to those given to children in 2024The Horny Goat
 `* Re: Compare medieval dog names to those given to children in 2024a425couple
  `- Re: Compare medieval dog names to those given to children in 2024The Horny Goat

1
Compare medieval dog names to those given to children in 2024

<pARUN.48395$cMe1.12128@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2539&group=soc.history.medieval#2539

Newsgroups: soc.history.medieval,soc.support.depression.family
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Subject: Compare medieval dog names to those given to children in 2024
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 08:56:04 -0700
 by: a425couple - Sat, 20 Apr 2024 15:56 UTC

from
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/us-news/people-hysterics-after-comparing-medieval-32570136

She says the dogs names are better than today's baby names (stock photo)
(Image: Getty Images)

People in hysterics after comparing medieval dog names to those given to
children in 2024
A woman has sparked a debate about baby names after sharing a list of 43
dog names used in medieval times - as she claims many are better than
those being given to children in 2024

ByPaige FreshwaterContent Editor
09:51, 12 Apr 2024

BOOKMARK
Domesticated dogs have been living alongside humans for more than 30,000
years - and in all that time, dog name trends have been developing and
evolving. A list of 43 dog names used in medieval times has sparked a
debate on social media, as many compare them to names being given to
children in 2024.

In a post on Reddit, one user said: "All of these names sound better
than the tragedeighs I've seen." Tragedeigh is the term used to describe
a name "deliberately misspelled or completely made up to appear more
unique than it actually is",

Listed from Kathleen Waler-Meikle's book 'Medieval Pets', the names include:

Artus
Balbina
Bellina
Bembino
Bo
Borgettus
Courte
Dammast
Syamant
Famia
Fortuna
Furstli
Gariner
Gerland
Hapeguay
Hardy
Hemmerli
Jakke
Lachne
Mamselle
Magestomo
Melesinn
Mognone
Monsieur
Mopsulus
Mopsis
Orsina
Petitcreis
Rukoy
Rubino
Saphyrus
Sattin
Soldan
Speichli
Stoesel
Sturdy
Terri
Turgk
Venus
Viola
Vinlina
Whitefood
Zabot

Commenting on the names, one user said: "Megastomo goes hard, not going
to lie. That’s one of the best parts about pets, it’s fully acceptable
to give them the weirdest names possible." Another user added: "Some of
these I can understand, and a few are kinda funny.

"I think Saphyrus might be a classic medieval misspelling of
Zephyrus'(the god of the west wind, sometimes just Zephyr), Rubino is
'the red one' (possibly), Bembino seems like a misspelling of the
Italian Bambino, which means baby."

A third user said: "I draw the line at naming a human child Borgettus,
Mopsulus, or Whitefoot. Venus will get nicknamed Penis. The others are
negotiable." One more user added: "Sturdy goes hard now I want a dog
just to call him Sturdy and I don't even like dogs."

Do you have a story to share? Email paige.freshwater@reachplc.com.

ANIMALS
BABY NAMES
Get email updates with the day's biggest stories

see the earlier
https://www.mentalfloss.com/posts/medieval-dog-names
for more including artwork

You might think of your dog as the best dog of all. One medieval dog
owner actually called theirs that. No, literally—the dog’s name was
Beste-of-all.

Per Open Culture, the moniker comes from a 15th-century manuscript
containing a list of more than 1000 names of hounds (specifically
hunting dogs). David Scott-Macnab, an English literature professor at
South Africa’s North-West University, published all the names in a 2013
article for the journal Viator.

There are a surprising number of parallels between today’s most popular
dog names and this centuries-old selection. We have Bella; they had
Belle. They had Compaynowne (companion) and Felowe, which maps onto our
Buddy. We have Bear; they had Foxe and Mouse (and, OK, Salmon). Our
Daisy isn’t so different from their Flowre.

That said, you’d be hard-pressed to find a dog these days named
Brainless (or, Brayneles, as it was spelled). Medieval people habitually
christened their dogs with words that described them. Some were
complimentary, sure—Amyable, Harmeles, Trusty, Joliboye, Pretyman—but
plenty others were hilariously harsh: Helpeles, Filthe, Litillwitte,
Synfull, and plain old Badde.

There’s further evidence that these bygone pet owners had a sense of
humor about their charges: Somewhere out there were canines named Lewde,
Lusty, Ribawde, and Nameles. Not to mention Spowse (spouse) and Hosewife
(housewife).

One especially prevalent trend, unsurprisingly, is names related to
hunting—including Bryngehome, Fyndewell, Goodynowze, Kilbucke, and
Makehitgood. But it’s the random ones that are most fun, from Argument
and Bryan to Feete and Garlik.

You can explore our 100 favorite names from the manuscript below. (And
if you’re hoping to pick one out for your next pet, Tom Killeen built a
name generator that features all 1065 of them.)

Enter your email...
Sign up
HomeNewsUS NewsBaby Names
TOP STORIES

ANIMAL ATTRACTION: This Morning star Alison Hammond, 49, steps out for
first time in public with her smitten Russian boyfriend, 26, on
fun-filled zoo date
THIS MORNING

Killers who stabbed footballer Cody Fisher in nightclub could have
sentences extended
MURDER

David Beckham suing Mark Wahlberg over £8.5million loss as friendship in
tatters
DAVID BECKHAM

Real reason Britain's Got Talent star Tom Ball transformed his
appearance and how he did it
BRITAIN'S GOT TALENT

Harry and William shared devastating joke during Queen's funeral

Re: Compare medieval dog names to those given to children in 2024

<4vkb2jh1qidrmdbsgeqk8m21nne1h3dqv0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2540&group=soc.history.medieval#2540

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: soc.history.medieval
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 20:08:32 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 03:08 UTC

On Sat, 20 Apr 2024 08:56:04 -0700, a425couple
<a425couple@hotmail.com> wrote:

>from
>https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/us-news/people-hysterics-after-comparing-medieval-32570136
>
>She says the dogs names are better than today's baby names (stock photo)
>(Image: Getty Images)
>
>People in hysterics after comparing medieval dog names to those given to
>children in 2024
>A woman has sparked a debate about baby names after sharing a list of 43
>dog names used in medieval times - as she claims many are better than
>those being given to children in 2024
>
>ByPaige FreshwaterContent Editor
>09:51, 12 Apr 2024
>
>BOOKMARK
>Domesticated dogs have been living alongside humans for more than 30,000
>years - and in all that time, dog name trends have been developing and
>evolving. A list of 43 dog names used in medieval times has sparked a
>debate on social media, as many compare them to names being given to
>children in 2024.
>
>In a post on Reddit, one user said: "All of these names sound better
>than the tragedeighs I've seen." Tragedeigh is the term used to describe
>a name "deliberately misspelled or completely made up to appear more
>unique than it actually is",
>
>Listed from Kathleen Waler-Meikle's book 'Medieval Pets', the names include:
>
>Artus
>Balbina
>Bellina
>Bembino
>Bo
>Borgettus
>Courte
>Dammast
>Syamant

>snipped<

I can't imagine naming any of my children any of those names. On the
other hand my dog is named Beau. (pronounced the same way as Bo).

(On the other hand my cat is named Jill who was given that name by the
shelter along with her brother - who we didn't adopt - named Jack.
Jillie-puss is now 11 years old and doing well as is Beau)

Re: Compare medieval dog names to those given to children in 2024

<CEeWN.23976$8tL7.16397@fx09.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2541&group=soc.history.medieval#2541

Newsgroups: soc.history.medieval
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 14:16:17 -0700
 by: a425couple - Wed, 24 Apr 2024 21:16 UTC

On 4/21/24 20:08, The Horny Goat wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Apr 2024 08:56:04 -0700, a425couple
> <a425couple@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> from

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/us-news/people-hysterics-after-comparing-medieval-32570136

>> She says the dogs names are better than today's baby names (stock photo)
>>
>> People in hysterics after comparing medieval dog names to those given to
>> children in 2024
>> A woman has sparked a debate about baby names after sharing a list of 43
>> dog names used in medieval times - as she claims many are better than
>> those being given to children in 2024
>>
>> BOOKMARK

>> snipped<
>
> I can't imagine naming any of my children any of those names. On the
> other hand my dog is named Beau. (pronounced the same way as Bo).
>
> (On the other hand my cat is named Jill who was given that name by the
> shelter along with her brother - who we didn't adopt - named Jack.
> Jillie-puss is now 11 years old and doing well as is Beau)

It is good to hear from you, my friend.

My children had pretty traditional modern names.
My grandchildren,,, maybe not so much, but 4 pairs of adults
get to make their own choices.
Josephine, Elora, Chelsea, Bear, Whitney, and YTBD.

As for dogs, our prior generation of dogs had what could be
called Norsk Medieval roots.
Hildie, for Brunhildie, the fairest of the Valkyries, the
warlike goddess-maiden sent to battlefields by Odin, chief
of the gods to bring the fallen warriors home. She was our
70 pound Standard Poodle, very smart and caring. I still
miss her.
Lockie, named for mischief, our 50 pound male Standard Poodle.
Now we have Pooka, (properly Pook-a-Boo) Named for ,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P%C3%BAca#:~:text=The%20p%C3%BAca%20(Irish%20for%20spirit,hinder%20rural%20and%20marine%20communities.
She is white, with dark/black circles around eyes and partly on ears.
She is now age 12, a 11 pound Mini-Poodle, still a born killer
of rabbits, moles, and rats.
And then one that seems mostly useless, an 11 pound mostly black
Havanese, except little Bilbo makes me laugh. He runs funny,
run, run, run, leap. And always wants to follow me around to
see what stuff I'm going to pull next.

Re: Compare medieval dog names to those given to children in 2024

<8gcl2jlsv40cp7ilt9j119ac811g9gvm93@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2543&group=soc.history.medieval#2543

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: soc.history.medieval
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 12:51:37 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 19:51 UTC

On Wed, 24 Apr 2024 14:16:17 -0700, a425couple
<a425couple@hotmail.com> wrote:

>And then one that seems mostly useless, an 11 pound mostly black
>Havanese, except little Bilbo makes me laugh. He runs funny,
>run, run, run, leap. And always wants to follow me around to
>see what stuff I'm going to pull next.

Sounds like you have an interesting household.

In my case as the eldest of two sons, I've made a point of passing on
names. My eldest daughter got the names of her two granddaughters. My
second got my mother's maiden name (which is also a popular first
name) and my wife's aunt. My son got my wife's godfather's name and my
name. When he was born it quickly became clear that my maternal
grandfather would not live long enough for my son to remember him
(though my daughters did) so we added a second middle name. It turned
out that the 3 names added up to my mother's paternal grandfather (who
had brought his family to Canada then returned to Britain to take up
his commission as a Royal Navy officer in WW1 and returned to Canada
at war's end) so I insisted the 3 names be in his order which my wife
agreed since his first name was her uncle's (who was her godfather but
died in her early teens before I met her)

My brother on the other hand chose 'new' names other than the fact
that his eldest daughter was an adaptation of HIS name. (Brian /
Brianna) He was annoyed I had taken my son's name (never mind that
that was my wife's godfather's name) and chose a name which was the
same name in a different language.

Go figure - but then I do feel strongly that naming one's children is
one of the more important responsibilities parents have since those
names will last long beyond the parents. (For instance both my wife
and my mother were named after aunts who didn't survive to maturity)

interests / soc.history.medieval / Re: Compare medieval dog names to those given to children in 2024