"The Schizophrenic: An Unauthorized Autobiography"

interests / rec.games.trivia / Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: peninsulas, challenge

SubjectAuthor
* QFTCIMM24 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: peninsulas, challengeMark Brader
+- Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: peninsulas, challengeDan Tilque
+- Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: peninsulas, challengeJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: peninsulas, challengeErland Sommarskog
+- Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: peninsulas, challengeDan Blum
+- Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: peninsulas, challengePete Gayde
`- QFTCIMM24 Game 6, Rounds 9-10 answers: peninsulas, challengeMark Brader

1
QFTCIMM24 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: peninsulas, challenge

<H_idnfPEwfAfK7P7nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5759&group=rec.games.trivia#5759

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIMM24 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: peninsulas, challenge
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2024 20:50:10 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sun, 28 Apr 2024 20:50 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2024-03-11,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation
of current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

** Game 6, Round 9 - Geography - Peninsulas

It's almost an island, but not quite! Given the names of three
cities or towns that can be found on a peninsula, please give us
the name of the peninsula from the list.

| Alaska | Chebucto | Kowloon
| Antarctic | Chukchi | Malay
| Apennine | Crimean | Noto-hanto
| Avalon | Dingle | Peloponnese
| Baja California | Donegal | Porkkala
| Balkan | Gaspé | Scandinavian
| Bondoc | Gibraltar | Seward
| Brittany | Iberian | Sinai
| Bruce | Kamchatka | Ungava
| Burin | Kola | Yucatan

1. Merida, Cancun, Campeche.
2. Kalamata, Patras, Corinth.
3. Simferopol, Sevastopol, Kerch.
4. Lion's head, Tobermory, Wiarton.
5. Bay Roberts, Placentia, St. John's.
6. Johor Bahru, Kuala Lumpur, Malacca.
7. Peggy's Cove, Sambro, Herring Cove.
8. Chandler, New Richmond, Grand-Rivière.
9. El Tor, St. Catherine, Sharm-el-Sheikh.
10. La Paz, Cabo San Lucas, San José del Cabo.

** Game 6, Round 10 - Challenge Round

The theme for this round is "Mr. Lonely".

* A. Literature

A1. Name Alan Sillitoe's classic 1969 short story, made into
a movie starring Michael Redgrave, about a young man who
escapes the pressures of society through individual sport.

A2. Radclyffe Hall's 1928 novel is a pioneering work of fiction
treating the lives, loves and social isolation of lesbians
-- or, to use the language of the day, "sexual inverts."
Name it.

* B. History: Lone Battles

B1. The Battle of Lone Tree Hill -- also known as the Battle
of Wakde-Sarmi -- was fought from May to September of
1944 between American and Japanese troops under grueling
equatorial rain-forest conditions. In what modern-day
country can you find Lone Tree Hill?

B2. The World War I Battle of Lone Pine was fought in August
1915. Today, the Lone Pine cemetery serves as a special
place of commemoration and pilgrimage for Australians
in memory of their war dead, particularly on ANZAC Day.
In which modern-day country can you find Lone Pine cemetery?

* C. Entertainment: The Beatles

C1. What is the name of the imaginary singer for Sgt. Pepper's
Lonely Hearts Club Band?

C2. The real-life Sgt. Pepper who unwittingly lent his name
to Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club band was a member of
a police force. On the cover of the album, Paul McCartney
wears a badge of this force sewn to his jacket. What police
force did Sergeant Pepper belong to?

* D. Geography: Lonely Places

D1. Of all Canadian provinces, this one, with a population of
530,100, has the lowest population density at 1.4 people/km².
Which province?

D2. Excluding Antarctica, which continent has the lowest
population density, with approximately 5 people/km²?

* E. Sports: Solo Adventures

E1. Who was the second person to complete a solo trans-Atlantic
flight?

E2. On 1898-06-27, Joshua Slocum became the first to accomplish
this solo feat. It took him over 3 years. What was Slocum's
solo accomplishment?

* F. Science: Endlings

"Endling" is the term coined by "Nature" magazine to denote the last
surviving member of a dying species. For these questions, identify the
species.

F1. Martha breathed her last in 1914 at the age of 29 in the
Cincinnati Zoo, which was also her place of birth. She is
currently on display at the Smithsonian. What manner of
creature was Martha?

F2. Lonesome George, the last of his subspecies, passed away
in 2012, at the estimated age of 102, in his birthplace,
Pinta Island. What type of creature was George?

--
Mark Brader | "Ooh, righteous indignation -- a bold choice!
Toronto | I myself would start with dismay and *work my way up*

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: peninsulas, challenge

<v0mmg5$1alh1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5760&group=rec.games.trivia#5760

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2024 16:35:31 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Sun, 28 Apr 2024 23:35 UTC

On 4/28/24 13:50, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 6, Round 9 - Geography - Peninsulas
>
> It's almost an island, but not quite! Given the names of three
> cities or towns that can be found on a peninsula, please give us
> the name of the peninsula from the list.
>
> | Alaska | Chebucto | Kowloon
> | Antarctic | Chukchi | Malay
> | Apennine | Crimean | Noto-hanto
> | Avalon | Dingle | Peloponnese
> | Baja California | Donegal | Porkkala
> | Balkan | Gaspé | Scandinavian
> | Bondoc | Gibraltar | Seward
> | Brittany | Iberian | Sinai
> | Bruce | Kamchatka | Ungava
> | Burin | Kola | Yucatan
>
> 1. Merida, Cancun, Campeche.

Yucatan

> 2. Kalamata, Patras, Corinth.

Peloponnese

> 3. Simferopol, Sevastopol, Kerch.

Crimean

> 4. Lion's head, Tobermory, Wiarton.

Chebucto

> 5. Bay Roberts, Placentia, St. John's.

Burin

> 6. Johor Bahru, Kuala Lumpur, Malacca.

Malay

> 7. Peggy's Cove, Sambro, Herring Cove.

Avalon

> 8. Chandler, New Richmond, Grand-Rivière.

Gaspe

> 9. El Tor, St. Catherine, Sharm-el-Sheikh.
> 10. La Paz, Cabo San Lucas, San José del Cabo.

Baja California

> ** Game 6, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> The theme for this round is "Mr. Lonely".
>
> * A. Literature
>
> A1. Name Alan Sillitoe's classic 1969 short story, made into
> a movie starring Michael Redgrave, about a young man who
> escapes the pressures of society through individual sport.
>
> A2. Radclyffe Hall's 1928 novel is a pioneering work of fiction
> treating the lives, loves and social isolation of lesbians
> -- or, to use the language of the day, "sexual inverts."
> Name it.
>

> * B. History: Lone Battles
>
> B1. The Battle of Lone Tree Hill -- also known as the Battle
> of Wakde-Sarmi -- was fought from May to September of
> 1944 between American and Japanese troops under grueling
> equatorial rain-forest conditions. In what modern-day
> country can you find Lone Tree Hill?

New Guinea

> B2. The World War I Battle of Lone Pine was fought in August
> 1915. Today, the Lone Pine cemetery serves as a special
> place of commemoration and pilgrimage for Australians
> in memory of their war dead, particularly on ANZAC Day.
> In which modern-day country can you find Lone Pine cemetery?

Turkey

> * C. Entertainment: The Beatles
>
> C1. What is the name of the imaginary singer for Sgt. Pepper's
> Lonely Hearts Club Band?
>
> C2. The real-life Sgt. Pepper who unwittingly lent his name
> to Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club band was a member of
> a police force. On the cover of the album, Paul McCartney
> wears a badge of this force sewn to his jacket. What police
> force did Sergeant Pepper belong to?
>

> * D. Geography: Lonely Places
>
> D1. Of all Canadian provinces, this one, with a population of
> 530,100, has the lowest population density at 1.4 people/km².
> Which province?

Newfoundland and Labrador

> D2. Excluding Antarctica, which continent has the lowest
> population density, with approximately 5 people/km²?

Australia

> * E. Sports: Solo Adventures
>
> E1. Who was the second person to complete a solo trans-Atlantic
> flight?
>
> E2. On 1898-06-27, Joshua Slocum became the first to accomplish
> this solo feat. It took him over 3 years. What was Slocum's
> solo accomplishment?

sail a ship around the world

> * F. Science: Endlings
>
> "Endling" is the term coined by "Nature" magazine to denote the last
> surviving member of a dying species. For these questions, identify the
> species.
>
> F1. Martha breathed her last in 1914 at the age of 29 in the
> Cincinnati Zoo, which was also her place of birth. She is
> currently on display at the Smithsonian. What manner of
> creature was Martha?

passenger pigeon

> F2. Lonesome George, the last of his subspecies, passed away
> in 2012, at the estimated age of 102, in his birthplace,
> Pinta Island. What type of creature was George?

turtle

--
Dan Tilque

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: peninsulas, challenge

<v0n8jq$1hs4s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5761&group=rec.games.trivia#5761

From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2024 23:44:42 -0500
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Mon, 29 Apr 2024 04:44 UTC

On 4/28/2024 3:50 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 6, Round 9 - Geography - Peninsulas
>
> It's almost an island, but not quite! Given the names of three
> cities or towns that can be found on a peninsula, please give us
> the name of the peninsula from the list.
>
> 1. Merida, Cancun, Campeche.

Yucatan

> 2. Kalamata, Patras, Corinth.

Peloponnese

> 3. Simferopol, Sevastopol, Kerch.

Crimean

> 4. Lion's head, Tobermory, Wiarton.

Ungava; Avalon

> 5. Bay Roberts, Placentia, St. John's.

Avalon; Bruce

> 6. Johor Bahru, Kuala Lumpur, Malacca.

Malay

> 7. Peggy's Cove, Sambro, Herring Cove.

Bruce; Ungava

> 8. Chandler, New Richmond, Grand-Rivière.

Gaspé

> 9. El Tor, St. Catherine, Sharm-el-Sheikh.

Sinai

> 10. La Paz, Cabo San Lucas, San José del Cabo.

Baja California

> ** Game 6, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> The theme for this round is "Mr. Lonely".
>
> * A. Literature
>
> A1. Name Alan Sillitoe's classic 1969 short story, made into
> a movie starring Michael Redgrave, about a young man who
> escapes the pressures of society through individual sport.

"The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner"

> A2. Radclyffe Hall's 1928 novel is a pioneering work of fiction
> treating the lives, loves and social isolation of lesbians
> -- or, to use the language of the day, "sexual inverts."
> Name it.

"The Well of Loneliness"

> * B. History: Lone Battles
>
> B1. The Battle of Lone Tree Hill -- also known as the Battle
> of Wakde-Sarmi -- was fought from May to September of
> 1944 between American and Japanese troops under grueling
> equatorial rain-forest conditions. In what modern-day
> country can you find Lone Tree Hill?

Solomon Islands; Papua New Guinea

> B2. The World War I Battle of Lone Pine was fought in August
> 1915. Today, the Lone Pine cemetery serves as a special
> place of commemoration and pilgrimage for Australians
> in memory of their war dead, particularly on ANZAC Day.
> In which modern-day country can you find Lone Pine cemetery?

Turkiye

> * C. Entertainment: The Beatles
>
> C1. What is the name of the imaginary singer for Sgt. Pepper's
> Lonely Hearts Club Band?

Billy Shears
> C2. The real-life Sgt. Pepper who unwittingly lent his name
> to Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club band was a member of
> a police force. On the cover of the album, Paul McCartney
> wears a badge of this force sewn to his jacket. What police
> force did Sergeant Pepper belong to?

Ontario Police Department

> * D. Geography: Lonely Places
>
> D1. Of all Canadian provinces, this one, with a population of
> 530,100, has the lowest population density at 1.4 people/km².
> Which province?

Newfoundland and Labrador

> D2. Excluding Antarctica, which continent has the lowest
> population density, with approximately 5 people/km²?

Oceania

> * F. Science: Endlings
>
> "Endling" is the term coined by "Nature" magazine to denote the last
> surviving member of a dying species. For these questions, identify the
> species.
>
> F1. Martha breathed her last in 1914 at the age of 29 in the
> Cincinnati Zoo, which was also her place of birth. She is
> currently on display at the Smithsonian. What manner of
> creature was Martha?

passenger pigeon

> F2. Lonesome George, the last of his subspecies, passed away
> in 2012, at the estimated age of 102, in his birthplace,
> Pinta Island. What type of creature was George?

Galapagos tortoise

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: peninsulas, challenge

<XnsB163E8604E33DYazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5762&group=rec.games.trivia#5762

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2024 22:50:36 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Mon, 29 Apr 2024 20:50 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> ** Game 6, Round 9 - Geography - Peninsulas
>
> It's almost an island, but not quite! Given the names of three
> cities or towns that can be found on a peninsula, please give us
> the name of the peninsula from the list.
>
> | Alaska | Chebucto | Kowloon
> | Antarctic | Chukchi | Malay
> | Apennine | Crimean | Noto-hanto
> | Avalon | Dingle | Peloponnese
> | Baja California | Donegal | Porkkala
> | Balkan | Gaspé | Scandinavian
> | Bondoc | Gibraltar | Seward
> | Brittany | Iberian | Sinai
> | Bruce | Kamchatka | Ungava
> | Burin | Kola | Yucatan
>
> 1. Merida, Cancun, Campeche.

Yucatán

> 2. Kalamata, Patras, Corinth.

Peloponnese

> 3. Simferopol, Sevastopol, Kerch.

Crimea

> 4. Lion's head, Tobermory, Wiarton.

Seward

> 5. Bay Roberts, Placentia, St. John's.

Bruce

> 6. Johor Bahru, Kuala Lumpur, Malacca.

Malay

> 7. Peggy's Cove, Sambro, Herring Cove.

Gibraltar

> 8. Chandler, New Richmond, Grand-Rivière.

Bondoc

> 9. El Tor, St. Catherine, Sharm-el-Sheikh.

Sinai

> 10. La Paz, Cabo San Lucas, San José del Cabo.

Baja California

> ** Game 6, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> The theme for this round is "Mr. Lonely".
>
> * B. History: Lone Battles
>
> B1. The Battle of Lone Tree Hill -- also known as the Battle
> of Wakde-Sarmi -- was fought from May to September of
> 1944 between American and Japanese troops under grueling
> equatorial rain-forest conditions. In what modern-day
> country can you find Lone Tree Hill?

Phillipines
> B2. The World War I Battle of Lone Pine was fought in August
> 1915. Today, the Lone Pine cemetery serves as a special
> place of commemoration and pilgrimage for Australians
> in memory of their war dead, particularly on ANZAC Day.
> In which modern-day country can you find Lone Pine cemetery?

Turkey
> * D. Geography: Lonely Places
>
> D1. Of all Canadian provinces, this one, with a population of
> 530,100, has the lowest population density at 1.4 people/km².
> Which province?

Newfoundland & Labrador
> D2. Excluding Antarctica, which continent has the lowest
> population density, with approximately 5 people/km²?

Australia/Oceania
> * F. Science: Endlings
>
> F2. Lonesome George, the last of his subspecies, passed away
> in 2012, at the estimated age of 102, in his birthplace,
> Pinta Island. What type of creature was George?

Turtle

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: peninsulas, challenge

<v0pk0f$43v$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5763&group=rec.games.trivia#5763

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2024 02:11:27 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Tue, 30 Apr 2024 02:11 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 6, Round 9 - Geography - Peninsulas

> 1. Merida, Cancun, Campeche.

Yucatan

> 2. Kalamata, Patras, Corinth.

Peloponnes

> 3. Simferopol, Sevastopol, Kerch.

Crimea

> 4. Lion's head, Tobermory, Wiarton.

Donegal; Bruce

> 5. Bay Roberts, Placentia, St. John's.

Gaspe

> 6. Johor Bahru, Kuala Lumpur, Malacca.

Malay

> 7. Peggy's Cove, Sambro, Herring Cove.

Avalon; Dingle

> 8. Chandler, New Richmond, Grand-Rivi?re.

Bondoc; Gaspe

> 10. La Paz, Cabo San Lucas, San Jos? del Cabo.

Baja California

> ** Game 6, Round 10 - Challenge Round

> * B. History: Lone Battles

> B1. The Battle of Lone Tree Hill -- also known as the Battle
> of Wakde-Sarmi -- was fought from May to September of
> 1944 between American and Japanese troops under grueling
> equatorial rain-forest conditions. In what modern-day
> country can you find Lone Tree Hill?

Papua New Guinea

> B2. The World War I Battle of Lone Pine was fought in August
> 1915. Today, the Lone Pine cemetery serves as a special
> place of commemoration and pilgrimage for Australians
> in memory of their war dead, particularly on ANZAC Day.
> In which modern-day country can you find Lone Pine cemetery?

Belgium; France

> * D. Geography: Lonely Places

> D1. Of all Canadian provinces, this one, with a population of
> 530,100, has the lowest population density at 1.4 people/km?.
> Which province?

Saskatchewan; Alberta

> D2. Excluding Antarctica, which continent has the lowest
> population density, with approximately 5 people/km??

Australia

> * F. Science: Endlings

> F2. Lonesome George, the last of his subspecies, passed away
> in 2012, at the estimated age of 102, in his birthplace,
> Pinta Island. What type of creature was George?

tortoise

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: peninsulas, challenge

<v0rrng$2nof3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5764&group=rec.games.trivia#5764

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2024 17:35:27 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Tue, 30 Apr 2024 22:35 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2024-03-11,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation
> of current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting
> of other rounds. For further information please see my 2023-05-24
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 6, Round 9 - Geography - Peninsulas
>
> It's almost an island, but not quite! Given the names of three
> cities or towns that can be found on a peninsula, please give us
> the name of the peninsula from the list.
>
> | Alaska | Chebucto | Kowloon
> | Antarctic | Chukchi | Malay
> | Apennine | Crimean | Noto-hanto
> | Avalon | Dingle | Peloponnese
> | Baja California | Donegal | Porkkala
> | Balkan | Gaspé | Scandinavian
> | Bondoc | Gibraltar | Seward
> | Brittany | Iberian | Sinai
> | Bruce | Kamchatka | Ungava
> | Burin | Kola | Yucatan
>
> 1. Merida, Cancun, Campeche.

Yucatan

> 2. Kalamata, Patras, Corinth.

Peloponnese

> 3. Simferopol, Sevastopol, Kerch.

Crimean

> 4. Lion's head, Tobermory, Wiarton.

Bruce; Bondoc

> 5. Bay Roberts, Placentia, St. John's.

Gaspé

> 6. Johor Bahru, Kuala Lumpur, Malacca.

Malay

> 7. Peggy's Cove, Sambro, Herring Cove.

Avalon; Dingle

> 8. Chandler, New Richmond, Grand-Rivière.

Seward; Donegal

> 9. El Tor, St. Catherine, Sharm-el-Sheikh.

Sinai

> 10. La Paz, Cabo San Lucas, San José del Cabo.

Baja California

> ** Game 6, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> The theme for this round is "Mr. Lonely".
>
> * A. Literature
>
> A1. Name Alan Sillitoe's classic 1969 short story, made into
> a movie starring Michael Redgrave, about a young man who
> escapes the pressures of society through individual sport.

The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner

> A2. Radclyffe Hall's 1928 novel is a pioneering work of fiction
> treating the lives, loves and social isolation of lesbians
> -- or, to use the language of the day, "sexual inverts."
> Name it.
>

> * B. History: Lone Battles
>
> B1. The Battle of Lone Tree Hill -- also known as the Battle
> of Wakde-Sarmi -- was fought from May to September of
> 1944 between American and Japanese troops under grueling
> equatorial rain-forest conditions. In what modern-day
> country can you find Lone Tree Hill?

Philippines; Micronesia

> B2. The World War I Battle of Lone Pine was fought in August
> 1915. Today, the Lone Pine cemetery serves as a special
> place of commemoration and pilgrimage for Australians
> in memory of their war dead, particularly on ANZAC Day.
> In which modern-day country can you find Lone Pine cemetery?

Turkey; France

> * C. Entertainment: The Beatles
>
> C1. What is the name of the imaginary singer for Sgt. Pepper's
> Lonely Hearts Club Band?

Billy Shears

> C2. The real-life Sgt. Pepper who unwittingly lent his name
> to Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club band was a member of
> a police force. On the cover of the album, Paul McCartney
> wears a badge of this force sewn to his jacket. What police
> force did Sergeant Pepper belong to?

Liverpool

> * D. Geography: Lonely Places
>
> D1. Of all Canadian provinces, this one, with a population of
> 530,100, has the lowest population density at 1.4 people/km².
> Which province?

Nunavut

> D2. Excluding Antarctica, which continent has the lowest
> population density, with approximately 5 people/km²?

Australia

> * E. Sports: Solo Adventures
>
> E1. Who was the second person to complete a solo trans-Atlantic
> flight?
>
> E2. On 1898-06-27, Joshua Slocum became the first to accomplish
> this solo feat. It took him over 3 years. What was Slocum's
> solo accomplishment?

Walk around the world

> * F. Science: Endlings
>
> "Endling" is the term coined by "Nature" magazine to denote the last
> surviving member of a dying species. For these questions, identify the
> species.
>
> F1. Martha breathed her last in 1914 at the age of 29 in the
> Cincinnati Zoo, which was also her place of birth. She is
> currently on display at the Smithsonian. What manner of
> creature was Martha?

Passenger Pigeon

> F2. Lonesome George, the last of his subspecies, passed away
> in 2012, at the estimated age of 102, in his birthplace,
> Pinta Island. What type of creature was George?

Galagapagos Tortoise

Pete Gayde

QFTCIMM24 Game 6, Rounds 9-10 answers: peninsulas, challenge

<mMycndRHtKjXpK77nZ2dnZfqnPWdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5765&group=rec.games.trivia#5765

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIMM24 Game 6, Rounds 9-10 answers: peninsulas, challenge
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Thu, 02 May 2024 06:57:14 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 2 May 2024 06:57 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2024-03-11,
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

Game 6 is over and the winner is JOSHUA KREITZER. Hearty congratulations!

> ** Game 6, Round 9 - Geography - Peninsulas

> It's almost an island, but not quite! Given the names of three
> cities or towns that can be found on a peninsula, please give us
> the name of the peninsula from the list.

> | Alaska | Chebucto | Kowloon
> | Antarctic | Chukchi | Malay
> | Apennine | Crimean | Noto-hanto
> | Avalon | Dingle | Peloponnese
> | Baja California | Donegal | Porkkala
> | Balkan | Gasp� | Scandinavian
> | Bondoc | Gibraltar | Seward
> | Brittany | Iberian | Sinai
> | Bruce | Kamchatka | Ungava
> | Burin | Kola | Yucatan

In the original game, this was the easiest round in the entire season.

> 1. Merida, Cancun, Campeche.

Yucatan. 4 for everyone -- Dan Tilque, Joshua, Erland, Dan Blum,
and Pete.

> 2. Kalamata, Patras, Corinth.

Peloponnese. 4 for everyone.

> 3. Simferopol, Sevastopol, Kerch.

Crimean. I accepted Crimea, although that form wasn't on the list.
4 for everyone.

> 4. Lion's head, Tobermory, Wiarton.

Bruce. 3 for Pete. 2 for Dan Blum.

> 5. Bay Roberts, Placentia, St. John's.

Avalon. 3 for Joshua.

> 6. Johor Bahru, Kuala Lumpur, Malacca.

Malay. 4 for everyone.

> 7. Peggy's Cove, Sambro, Herring Cove.

Chebucto. I've been to Peggy's Cove and I still didn't know this one.

> 8. Chandler, New Richmond, Grand-Rivi�re.

Gasp�. 4 for Dan Tilque and Joshua. 2 for Dan Blum.

> 9. El Tor, St. Catherine, Sharm-el-Sheikh.

Sinai. 4 for Joshua, Erland, and Pete.

> 10. La Paz, Cabo San Lucas, San Jos� del Cabo.

Baja California. 4 for everyone.

> ** Game 6, Round 10 - Challenge Round

> The theme for this round is "Mr. Lonely".

> * A. Literature

> A1. Name Alan Sillitoe's classic 1969 short story, made into
> a movie starring Michael Redgrave, about a young man who
> escapes the pressures of society through individual sport.

"The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner". 4 for Joshua and Pete.

> A2. Radclyffe Hall's 1928 novel is a pioneering work of fiction
> treating the lives, loves and social isolation of lesbians
> -- or, to use the language of the day, "sexual inverts."
> Name it.

"The Well of Loneliness". 4 for Joshua.

> * B. History: Lone Battles

> B1. The Battle of Lone Tree Hill -- also known as the Battle
> of Wakde-Sarmi -- was fought from May to September of
> 1944 between American and Japanese troops under grueling
> equatorial rain-forest conditions. In what modern-day
> country can you find Lone Tree Hill?

Papua New Guinea. 4 for Dan Blum. 2 for Joshua.

> B2. The World War I Battle of Lone Pine was fought in August
> 1915. Today, the Lone Pine cemetery serves as a special
> place of commemoration and pilgrimage for Australians
> in memory of their war dead, particularly on ANZAC Day.
> In which modern-day country can you find Lone Pine cemetery?

Turkey. 4 for Dan Tilque, Joshua, and Erland. 3 for Pete.

> * C. Entertainment: The Beatles

> C1. What is the name of the imaginary singer for Sgt. Pepper's
> Lonely Hearts Club Band?

Billy Shears. 4 for Joshua and Pete.

> C2. The real-life Sgt. Pepper who unwittingly lent his name
> to Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club band was a member of
> a police force. On the cover of the album, Paul McCartney
> wears a badge of this force sewn to his jacket. What police
> force did Sergeant Pepper belong to?

The OPP. 3 for Joshua.

See: https://www.ajournalofmusicalthings.com/exclusive-real-sgt-pepper-canadian-cop-police-assignment-beatles-created-50-year-mystery/

> * D. Geography: Lonely Places

> D1. Of all Canadian provinces, this one, with a population of
> 530,100, has the lowest population density at 1.4 people/km�.
> Which province?

Newfoundland and Labrador. 4 for Dan Tilque, Joshua, and Erland.

> D2. Excluding Antarctica, which continent has the lowest
> population density, with approximately 5 people/km�?

Australia. Accepting Oceania. 4 for everyone.

> * E. Sports: Solo Adventures

> E1. Who was the second person to complete a solo trans-Atlantic
> flight?

Amelia Earhart. (Newfoundland to Northern Ireland, May 20-21, 1932.)

> E2. On 1898-06-27, Joshua Slocum became the first to accomplish
> this solo feat. It took him over 3 years. What was Slocum's
> solo accomplishment?

Sailing around the world. 4 for Dan Tilque.

> * F. Science: Endlings

> "Endling" is the term coined by "Nature" magazine to denote the last
> surviving member of a dying species. For these questions, identify the
> species.

> F1. Martha breathed her last in 1914 at the age of 29 in the
> Cincinnati Zoo, which was also her place of birth. She is
> currently on display at the Smithsonian. What manner of
> creature was Martha?

Passenger pigeon. 4 for Dan Tilque, Joshua, and Pete.

> F2. Lonesome George, the last of his subspecies, passed away
> in 2012, at the estimated age of 102, in his birthplace,
> Pinta Island. What type of creature was George?

Tortoise. (Specifically a Galapagos tortoise, or still more
specifically a Pinta Island tortoise. Accepting turtle.)
4 for everyone.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 6 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Ent Can Lit Spo Sci His Geo Cha SIX
Joshua Kreitzer 40 8 32 8 12 36 31 37 188
Pete Gayde -- -- 27 12 11 40 27 23 140
Dan Blum -- -- 36 4 16 32 24 12 124
Dan Tilque 0 16 8 4 31 16 24 24 119
Erland Sommarskog -- -- 0 4 23 31 24 16 98
Stephen Perry -- -- 36 28 -- -- -- -- 64

--
Mark Brader, Toronto, msb@vex.net
"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing because plumbing

interests / rec.games.trivia / Re: QFTCIMM24 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: peninsulas, challenge