From: inval...@invalid.invalid (Pro Plyd)
Newsgroups: talk.origins
Subject: Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons in Asteroids Predate Our Solar
System
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2023 12:09:33 -0700
Sender: to%beagle.ediacara.org
To: talk-origins@moderators.isc.org
 by: Pro Plyd - Tue, 26 Dec 2023 19:09 UTC

https://www.sci.news/space/asteroid-polycyclic-aromatic-hydrocarbons-12559.html

Astronomical observations show that polycyclic
aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) are abundant and
widespread in the interstellar medium. PAH
molecules consist of several adjacent aromatic
rings terminated by hydrogens. In new research,
scientists performed laboratory isotopic
analysis of PAHs in samples of the asteroid
Ryugu that were collected by JAXA’s Hayabusa-2
spacecraft as well as in samples of the
meteorite Murchison. They argue that at least
some of the Ryugu PAHs must have formed in
cold interstellar clouds and thus predate the
Solar System.

PAHs contain approximately 20% of the carbon
in the interstellar medium.

They are potentially produced in circumstellar
environments (at temperatures over 1000 K), by
cold interstellar clouds (temperatures around
10 K), or by processing of carbon-rich dust
grains.

“PAHs are organic compounds made up of carbon
and hydrogen that are common on Earth but are
also found in celestial bodies like asteroids
and meteorites,” said study co-author Professor
Kliti Grice, a researcher with the Western
Australia Organic & Isotope Geochemistry
Centre at Curtin University.

Re: Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons in Asteroids Predate Our Solar System

<q6knoidp80f84j3utvlia9bp24p4psa4sh@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7245&group=talk.origins#7245

From: 69jpi...@gmail.com (jillery)
Newsgroups: talk.origins
Subject: Re: Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons in Asteroids Predate Our Solar System
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 02:24:51 -0500
Sender: to%beagle.ediacara.org
To: talk-origins@moderators.isc.org
id B7C10229786; Wed, 27 Dec 2023 02:22:54 -0500 (EST)
by beagle.ediacara.org (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 8194D229767
for <talk-origins@ediacara.org>; Wed, 27 Dec 2023 02:22:52 -0500 (EST)
by moderators.individual.net (Exim 4.95)
for talk-origins@moderators.isc.org with esmtps (TLS1.3)
tls TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384
(envelope-from <news@reader5.news.weretis.net>)
id 1rIOHr-000Cod-UQ; Wed, 27 Dec 2023 08:25:08 +0100
by pmx.weretis.net (Postfix) with ESMTP id 130AE3E89D
for <talk-origins@moderators.isc.org>; Wed, 27 Dec 2023 08:24:55 +0100 (CET)
id C97E93E8F9; Wed, 27 Dec 2023 08:24:53 +0100 (CET)
 by: jillery - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 07:24 UTC

On Tue, 26 Dec 2023 12:09:33 -0700, Pro Plyd
<invalide@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>https://www.sci.news/space/asteroid-polycyclic-aromatic-hydrocarbons-12559.html
>
>Astronomical observations show that polycyclic
>aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) are abundant and
>widespread in the interstellar medium. PAH
>molecules consist of several adjacent aromatic
>rings terminated by hydrogens. In new research,
>scientists performed laboratory isotopic
>analysis of PAHs in samples of the asteroid
>Ryugu that were collected by JAXA’s Hayabusa-2
>spacecraft as well as in samples of the
>meteorite Murchison. They argue that at least
>some of the Ryugu PAHs must have formed in
>cold interstellar clouds and thus predate the
>Solar System.
>
>PAHs contain approximately 20% of the carbon
>in the interstellar medium.
>
>They are potentially produced in circumstellar
>environments (at temperatures over 1000 K), by
>cold interstellar clouds (temperatures around
>10 K), or by processing of carbon-rich dust
>grains.
>
>“PAHs are organic compounds made up of carbon
>and hydrogen that are common on Earth but are
>also found in celestial bodies like asteroids
>and meteorites,” said study co-author Professor
>Kliti Grice, a researcher with the Western
>Australia Organic & Isotope Geochemistry
>Centre at Curtin University.

The above describes a datum that's relevant to OoL, not because the
interstellar medium could have provided Earth with sufficient material
to start life on Earth, but instead because it shows unguided natural
processes have multiple pathways to create complex molecules. It puts
the lie to the PRATT that biochemical complexity is practically
impossible without intelligent intervention.

--
To know less than we don't know is the nature of most knowledge

interests / talk.origins / Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons in Asteroids Predate Our Solar System