Save the Whales -- Harpoon a Honda.

interests / talk.origins / Hard Atheism of John Harshman Contrasted with Agnosticism of Peter Nyikos

SubjectAuthor
* Hard Atheism of John Harshman Contrasted with Agnosticism of Peter Nyikospeter2...@gmail.com
+* Hard Atheism of John Harshman Contrasted with Agnosticism of Peter NyikosLawyer Daggett
|`* Re: Hard Atheism of John Harshman Contrasted with Agnosticism of Peter Nyikospeter2...@gmail.com
| `* Re: Hard Atheism of John Harshman Contrasted with Agnosticism of Peter NyikosAbner
|  +* Re: Hard Atheism of John Harshman Contrasted with Agnosticism of Peter Nyikoserik simpson
|  |`- Re: Hard Atheism of John Harshman Contrasted with Agnosticism of Peter NyikosNando Ronteltap
|  `* Re: Hard Atheism of John Harshman Contrasted with Agnosticism of Peter Nyikospeter2...@gmail.com
|   +- Re: Hard Atheism of John Harshman Contrasted with Agnosticism of Peter NyikosNando Ronteltap
|   `* Re: Hard Atheism of John Harshman Contrasted with Agnosticism of Peter NyikosAbner
|    +- Re: Hard Atheism of John Harshman Contrasted with Agnosticism of Peter NyikosNando Ronteltap
|    `- Re: Hard Atheism of John Harshman Contrasted with Agnosticism of Peter Nyikospeter2...@gmail.com
+* Hard Atheism of John Harshman Contrasted with Agnosticism of Peter NyikosJohn Harshman
> [...]
||       |    `- Re: Hard Atheism of John Harshman Contrasted with Agnosticism of Peter Nyikosjillery
||       `* Re: Hard Atheism of John Harshman Contrasted with Agnosticism of Peter Nyikosjillery
||        `* God and Atheistsisrael sadovnik
||         +* Re: God and Atheistsjillery
||         |`* Re: God and AtheistsAbner
||         | +* Re: God and Atheistsjillery
||         | |+- Re: God and Atheistsisrael sadovnik
||         | |`- Re: God and AtheistsAbner
||         | `- Re: God and Atheistserik simpson
||         `* Re: God and AtheistsMark Isaak
||          `* Re: God and Atheistsisrael sadovnik
||           `- Chez Watt: Re: God and AtheistsJ. J. Lodder
|`* Hard Atheism of John Harshman Contrasted with Agnosticism of Peter Nyikospeter2...@gmail.com
| `* Hard Atheism of John Harshman Contrasted with Agnosticism of Peter NyikosJohn Harshman
|  `- Hard Atheism of John Harshman Contrasted with Agnosticism of Peter Nyikoszen cycle
`* Hard Atheism of John Harshman Contrasted with Agnosticism of Peter Nyikosmohammad...@gmail.com
 `* Re: Hard Atheism of John Harshman Contrasted with Agnosticism of Peter Nyikospeter2...@gmail.com
  +* Re: Hard Atheism of John Harshman Contrasted with Agnosticism of Peter NyikosLawyer Daggett
  |+- Re: Hard Atheism of John Harshman Contrasted with Agnosticism of Peter Nyikospeter2...@gmail.com
  |`- Re: Hard Atheism of John Harshman Contrasted with Agnosticism of Peter NyikosNando Ronteltap
  `- Re: Hard Atheism of John Harshman Contrasted with Agnosticism of Peter NyikosNando Ronteltap

Pages:123
Hard Atheism of John Harshman Contrasted with Agnosticism of Peter Nyikos

<4b7b4476-6c82-42ec-86d2-b75b22ee4cc9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7365&group=talk.origins#7365

From: peter2ny...@gmail.com (peter2...@gmail.com)
Newsgroups: talk.origins
Subject: Hard Atheism of John Harshman Contrasted with Agnosticism of Peter Nyikos
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2024 12:51:01 -0800 (PST)
Sender: to%beagle.ediacara.org
To: talk-origins@moderators.isc.org
d=1e100.net; s=20230601; t=1704315062; x=1704919862;
h=content-transfer-encoding:to:injection-date:from:subject:message-id
:mime-version:user-agent:nntp-posting-host:injection-info:date
:newsgroups:path:x-gm-message-state:from:to:cc:subject:date
:message-id:reply-to;
bh=CGskNgJTFcjH4JIfA6pt0StjzTwC4qpaUaSEayvzDjg=;
b=a/i+XGn4gsvm0necutIaKhfsOEcT65r9Rq9+dADVbNTUQoPn4g/Ae2jDAGd5ymOh1t
eOaevnnUCxo8wTuDBEPZol1uVo2DtIn56kgUhMi+xKu090g5dA8CH63J3Y/C59bHGCAJ
IxECIPVIAKy7IwuvWlvbyEHjricaMZTxIqxwMRHh0WVRazM8kvpSwhInEnoYkA0QCB7M
wiNPbXeOTpBADyuaeYWU68ebTyD0MGpdORZBLLu+xjVeLhMdElb0+EjneVxBqDvRY3nw
xMfuFhup/YZ/UR54uhtD4bxJqaTPoi6q9U6GhXstXZx7xp8+IIR2lzZ4TwfWF+6gI3hE
qk9A==
 by: peter2...@gmail.com - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 20:51 UTC

This is a reply to the tail end of a post on JAMES TOUR VICTORIOUS?!
Despite the use of our two names, this OP is issue-oriented.
It is because everyone's brand of religion (or the lack of one)
is highly individual, even if the words used for it are the same,
that I use our names to orient the readers.

For "hard atheism" I use the definition I learned in alt.atheism: the
unequivocal denial of the existence of a God or gods. For "agnosticism," the best
definition of my brand is that it asserts that it is impossible to prove,
beyond a reasonable doubt, the existence or nonexistence of a Designer of our universe.
Details of these stances follow in the reply itself:

On Saturday, December 23, 2023 at 1:32:19 AM UTC-5, John Harshman wrote:
> On 12/22/23 7:33 PM, peter2nyikos@gmail.com wrote:

> > PS Don't think I am devoid of Christmas spirit. I had a nice exchange with
> > your sidekick Erik Simpson, and with him I am following Hemidactylus's
> > advice to call a truce for the season. But Christmas means nothing to a
> > person like you, who think God and a life after death are fairy tales
> > that normal adults need to grow out of.

That's an extreme of hard atheism that I think YOU need to grow out of.
One can be a hard atheist and still not think that there is something wrong
with not being one.

> You don't believe in either God or a life after death, right?

"believe in" is not a term I like to use, because it can be used to denote "trust"
where God or gods is concerned, as well as "conviction of its existence."
And "trust" is not useful for talking about the main point of disagreement
between you and me. That point is illustrated by what comes next:

> Last I heard, you were 90% certain that they didn't exist.

Just plain false where a life after death is concerned. Its existence
is not logically connected with that of God or gods; only its nature is, if it does exist.

Besides, I eschew talk of "certainty" (with or without degrees) outside of pure mathematics.
The 90% refers to a subjective confidence level; I have no idea what the objective
measure of correctness is or whether there even can be one.

The number is as low as it is because I bring the Designer of our universe , if any,
in via a very different universe in a multiverse of which our ca. 14 gigayear
old universe
is a vanishingly small fraction, as would be the universe of the Designer.
I'm sure you can recall this kind of talk from me several times in the past..

Were it not for the possibility of that very different universe, the 90% would
become more like 99.99999999%. But even that is small compared to my
conviction that there IS a multiverse, as opposed to your 19th century style
conviction that our one little universe is all there is or was or can be. Carl Sagan
was very much behind the times when he made that conviction into the opening sentence
of his book, _Cosmos_.

> What in fact does
> Christmas mean to you?

Primarily, a celebration of the birth of Jesus. Secondarily, a very festive
occasion that the Scrooges and Grinches of our society would have us abandon.
My OP of the thread, "Modern Grinches," goes into this; see:

https://groups.google.com/g/talk.origins/c/rYVfxWoYgMY/m/8TgHMjaAAwAJ
Dec 19, 2023, 4:52:14 PM

Burkhard did a long post later in that thread on the Puritans, who were even more extreme
in their opposition to what is the secondary meaning of Christmas for me.

> Is there something wrong with being an atheist?

Absolutely not. I have gone too many miles in the moccasins of atheists,
as the saying goes, to have anything but respect for atheism. It's the excess
baggage that atheists like the you add on to it where my objections begin.

Peter Nyikos

Re: Hard Atheism of John Harshman Contrasted with Agnosticism of Peter Nyikos

<0d6cf68d-5374-4768-8da7-393446d6969en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7369&group=talk.origins#7369

From: j.nobel....@gmail.com (Lawyer Daggett)
Newsgroups: talk.origins
Subject: Re: Hard Atheism of John Harshman Contrasted with Agnosticism of
Peter Nyikos
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2024 15:35:51 -0800 (PST)
Sender: to%beagle.ediacara.org
To: talk-origins@moderators.isc.org
d=1e100.net; s=20230601; t=1704324951; x=1704929751;
h=content-transfer-encoding:to:injection-date:from:subject:message-id
:mime-version:user-agent:references:nntp-posting-host:injection-info
:in-reply-to:date:newsgroups:path:x-gm-message-state:from:to:cc
:subject:date:message-id:reply-to;
bh=ys45Sa1mImFiF5dY+uXQvFHqpynr3gscWqjJgSwQnks=;
b=BmpdF3GiOwpfXnFvOOcWchuGdRlJR2Ab0x9/adrwwcunB/K5nUpK61s8eIRh5yy9Bi
NPsE50hqkJt488TWUc5/FKDxHkFTKu4UQ/ChZIz5gUmMlUM9L5v+yXYcwOfEmkGkxGGp
wyiuQfPcTdgPVkHUGR3NaQp1rBozo5hMbPrLMVps/zX8MDWruMbUM7JPu2CRvQP2f4Dk
2euuwppnpLlRs7qPvSMpeVB7zKqhfZS+k53WvYrr+XCpRg/zcclvrlTT4pUICyuyRXqN
We3Dqkqvh/yOnHLAw1VwHa2SLa6cMGY9Si4cV34xRh9wezF4B7dvxrGmu4uQz4SLT1mn
hxQg==
 by: Lawyer Daggett - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 23:35 UTC

On Wednesday, January 3, 2024 at 3:52:28 PM UTC-5, peter2...@gmail.com wrote:
> This is a reply to the tail end of a post on JAMES TOUR VICTORIOUS?!
> Despite the use of our two names, this OP is issue-oriented.
> It is because everyone's brand of religion (or the lack of one)
> is highly individual, even if the words used for it are the same,
> that I use our names to orient the readers.
>
> For "hard atheism" I use the definition I learned in alt.atheism: the
> unequivocal denial of the existence of a God or gods. For "agnosticism," the best
> definition of my brand is that it asserts that it is impossible to prove,
> beyond a reasonable doubt, the existence or nonexistence of a Designer of our universe.
> Details of these stances follow in the reply itself:

Your indulging in self-serving partial views.
You have a history of calling people atheists with invidious connotations of that
entailing their being immoral. You use it as character assassination, often in the
context of various poisoning the well fallacies and ad hominem fallacies.

Your cherry-picked definitions here evade you equivocal usage in the past.
Atheism is a lack of belief in god(s). As is pointed out often, the typical difference
between an atheist and a theist is that an atheist lacks belief in one additional god
compared to a theist. That is a fairer starting point.

Your weave into agnosticism is similarly not done fairly. A statement that
we can't know can easily apply to both theists and atheists. Being an atheist
isn't in any way an assertion that one knows that there is no god(s).

There is a conceptual category of people who feel certain in their belief
that specific gods don't exist other than as story characters. You almost
certainly fit within that category regards Zeus and Apollo, probably Baal
and for that matter certain people's conception of the christian god.

From what I've observed, one thing that sets you apart from many here
is that you seemingly assert that your hope that there is a god, in some ways
fitting to some incarnations partially aligned with some christian traditions,
is somehow a virtue unto itself. And for that matter, people who don't share
the same hope are seen as lacking in virtue as you paint this as a brand of
sympathy where you hope for some restitution for those who suffer in
this life. My complaint isn't that you hold such a hope, but that you repeatedly
seem to condemn those who don't find any special virtue in hoping as you
do, perhaps because they realize that hoping for things doesn't effect
any change.

Beyond that, I don't feel inclined to include your nastiness towards John.
Maybe you should have taken a longer break.

Re: Hard Atheism of John Harshman Contrasted with Agnosticism of Peter Nyikos

<1UGdnSzbAN0Xmgv4nZ2dnZfqlJ9j4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7374&group=talk.origins#7374

From: john.har...@gmail.com (John Harshman)
Newsgroups: talk.origins
Peter Nyikos
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2024 17:19:05 -0800
Sender: to%beagle.ediacara.org
To: talk-origins@moderators.isc.org
 by: John Harshman - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 01:19 UTC

On 1/3/24 12:51 PM, peter2...@gmail.com wrote:
> This is a reply to the tail end of a post on JAMES TOUR VICTORIOUS?!
> Despite the use of our two names, this OP is issue-oriented.
> It is because everyone's brand of religion (or the lack of one)
> is highly individual, even if the words used for it are the same,
> that I use our names to orient the readers.
>
> For "hard atheism" I use the definition I learned in alt.atheism: the
> unequivocal denial of the existence of a God or gods. For "agnosticism," the best
> definition of my brand is that it asserts that it is impossible to prove,
> beyond a reasonable doubt, the existence or nonexistence of a Designer of our universe.
> Details of these stances follow in the reply itself:
>
> On Saturday, December 23, 2023 at 1:32:19 AM UTC-5, John Harshman wrote:
>> On 12/22/23 7:33 PM, peter2nyikos@gmail.com wrote:
>

>>> PS Don't think I am devoid of Christmas spirit. I had a nice exchange with
>>> your sidekick Erik Simpson, and with him I am following Hemidactylus's
>>> advice to call a truce for the season. But Christmas means nothing to a
>>> person like you, who think God and a life after death are fairy tales
>>> that normal adults need to grow out of.
>
> That's an extreme of hard atheism that I think YOU need to grow out of.
> One can be a hard atheist and still not think that there is something wrong
> with not being one.

You're responding to yourself there, to a bit where you imagine what I
might think.

>> You don't believe in either God or a life after death, right?
>
> "believe in" is not a term I like to use, because it can be used to denote "trust"
> where God or gods is concerned, as well as "conviction of its existence."
> And "trust" is not useful for talking about the main point of disagreement
> between you and me. That point is illustrated by what comes next:

One would hope so, since that paragraph says nothing substantive.

>> Last I heard, you were 90% certain that they didn't exist.
>
> Just plain false where a life after death is concerned. Its existence
> is not logically connected with that of God or gods; only its nature is, if it does exist.

Again, you avoid taking any position. What in your view is the
probability that there is a life after death? What, in your view, is the
probability that there's a god?

> Besides, I eschew talk of "certainty" (with or without degrees) outside of pure mathematics.
> The 90% refers to a subjective confidence level; I have no idea what the objective
> measure of correctness is or whether there even can be one.

Forget the word "certainty". Substitute "probability". This quibbling
over wording avoids saying anything.

> The number is as low as it is because I bring the Designer of our universe , if any,
> in via a very different universe in a multiverse of which our ca. 14 gigayear
> old universe
> is a vanishingly small fraction, as would be the universe of the Designer.
> I'm sure you can recall this kind of talk from me several times in the past.

What number? You still haven't claimed any number. I don't think your
position has so far been coherently expressed.

> Were it not for the possibility of that very different universe, the 90% would
> become more like 99.99999999%. But even that is small compared to my
> conviction that there IS a multiverse, as opposed to your 19th century style
> conviction that our one little universe is all there is or was or can be. Carl Sagan
> was very much behind the times when he made that conviction into the opening sentence
> of his book, _Cosmos_.

I have no such conviction; again you are imagining what I might think.

>> What in fact does
>> Christmas mean to you?
>
> Primarily, a celebration of the birth of Jesus. Secondarily, a very festive
> occasion that the Scrooges and Grinches of our society would have us abandon.
> My OP of the thread, "Modern Grinches," goes into this; see:

Why do you celebrate the birth of Jesus? You would appear to put the
probability that he actually was divine at considerably less than 10%.
Is it just that he seemed like a really nice guy who had some good
advice for living?

> https://groups.google.com/g/talk.origins/c/rYVfxWoYgMY/m/8TgHMjaAAwAJ
> Dec 19, 2023, 4:52:14 PM
>
> Burkhard did a long post later in that thread on the Puritans, who were even more extreme
> in their opposition to what is the secondary meaning of Christmas for me.
>

>> Is there something wrong with being an atheist?
>
> Absolutely not. I have gone too many miles in the moccasins of atheists,
> as the saying goes, to have anything but respect for atheism. It's the excess
> baggage that atheists like the you add on to it where my objections begin.

What is this excess baggage and how do you know that I add it?

Re: Hard Atheism of John Harshman Contrasted with Agnosticism of Peter Nyikos

<68442984-01e1-41d7-99f7-99acc6a78483@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7375&group=talk.origins#7375

From: eastside...@gmail.com (erik simpson)
Newsgroups: talk.origins
Peter Nyikos
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2024 21:31:29 -0800
Sender: to%beagle.ediacara.org
To: talk-origins@moderators.isc.org
id CFAB9229A32; Thu, 4 Jan 2024 00:29:30 -0500 (EST)
by beagle.ediacara.org (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 8A11C2299F1
for <talk-origins@ediacara.org>; Thu, 4 Jan 2024 00:29:28 -0500 (EST)
by moderators.individual.net (Exim 4.95)
for talk-origins@moderators.isc.org with esmtps (TLS1.3)
tls TLS_AES_128_GCM_SHA256
(envelope-from <eastside.erik@gmail.com>)
id 1rLGKd-000pRM-Hv; Thu, 04 Jan 2024 06:31:51 +0100
for <talk-origins@moderators.isc.org>; Wed, 03 Jan 2024 21:31:35 -0800 (PST)
d=gmail.com; s=20230601; t=1704346293; x=1704951093; darn=moderators.isc.org;
h=content-transfer-encoding:in-reply-to:from:references:newsgroups:to
:content-language:subject:user-agent:mime-version:date:message-id
:from:to:cc:subject:date:message-id:reply-to;
bh=AVufwtU3PKhG8lOoeLbJC9Kvlje3j0VdOTPcpx/Pl9k=;
b=KLmh6Z5THUmZkF+POcx9AmMS0QE/bwyfoGGa5Fs4DEp3xx+aD6G0Fu0tkVnjJjrbO5
KOJGmNIvKpRMTANKMGq4Q8zDKUwL1n6MuDssoNbS8sbJPq1S2ppTDFJiYU7t8Ls2uZD3
d63OOCbUY7ztuCyYJs0I665gaqyAO1vTrkRe2u9be+vLFYsV+lnjkn0LPw8e3U3nJQfK
wY0Y/XkAlKTZjWH+qY9knxlaAFOUl/whEuuhAvETRi7xQs4xks2PifHjn9kn+OVwSuov
BK86LcozsNJDBQ0IzH/PAtsQbZ2RxDJZYfxwieoupHDiJ7iQmCb8Z6TqJJ6p/qoMFGad
inxA==
d=1e100.net; s=20230601; t=1704346293; x=1704951093;
h=content-transfer-encoding:in-reply-to:from:references:newsgroups:to
:content-language:subject:user-agent:mime-version:date:message-id
:x-gm-message-state:from:to:cc:subject:date:message-id:reply-to;
bh=AVufwtU3PKhG8lOoeLbJC9Kvlje3j0VdOTPcpx/Pl9k=;
b=vrmVBvcaQ+HYMx2dGoUd2/nydDmcnSKI0GMz9RsXzkvDnDm7q6P0TTQ/naNnjj74fk
vSw2+lHmX2Zgj+8UULtW76JbEXlMpl7WIEY/rdmy+VDQakC4VPtqAZsEgawauw7Rlpyy
AMrw7fpvuPlb025Z7l0kaY2GlX3uaC66bJEhWc5g7T9FA5c3rq81IfABM8/5MhvmpOVH
GdKlWpPT+PItzdh9woKD6sYsGIfRw92YtTkTkY6Yr3k3MpcTU8edgZM8WcBxKTYPkBhm
3NEqtdbPtfpSKInyqVz7WybsDnb6HsygZjD1VkHkTk50/mGuLnyYi4/UiVFEJuPMDWzk
Sdhw==
 by: erik simpson - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 05:31 UTC

On 1/3/24 5:19 PM, John Harshman wrote:
> [...]
> probability that he actually was divine at considerably less than 10%.
> Is it just that he seemed like a really nice guy who had some good
> advice for living?
>
>> https://groups.google.com/g/talk.origins/c/rYVfxWoYgMY/m/8TgHMjaAAwAJ
>> Dec 19, 2023, 4:52:14 PM
>>
>> Burkhard did a long post later in that thread on the Puritans, who
>> were even more extreme
>> in their opposition to what is the secondary meaning of Christmas for me.
>>

>>> Is there something wrong with being an atheist?
>>
>> Absolutely not. I have gone too many miles in the moccasins of atheists,
>> as the saying goes, to have anything but respect for atheism. It's the
>> excess
>> baggage that atheists like the you add on to it where my objections
>> begin.
>
> What is this excess baggage and how do you know that I add it?

Your conviction of am enormous multiverse arouses my curiosity. How did
you come to such a conclusion? I intend no hostility; just interest.

Re: Hard Atheism of John Harshman Contrasted with Agnosticism of Peter Nyikos

<5b3a84ab-dc71-4fdc-bb66-2d9b80e8edf5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7448&group=talk.origins#7448

From: peter2ny...@gmail.com (peter2...@gmail.com)
Newsgroups: talk.origins
Peter Nyikos
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 13:50:03 -0800 (PST)
Sender: to%beagle.ediacara.org
To: talk-origins@moderators.isc.org
d=1e100.net; s=20230601; t=1704491403; x=1705096203;
h=content-transfer-encoding:to:injection-date:from:subject:message-id
:mime-version:user-agent:references:nntp-posting-host:injection-info
:in-reply-to:date:newsgroups:path:x-gm-message-state:from:to:cc
:subject:date:message-id:reply-to;
bh=Z9pfhY3E2kK+Z4/HiTW/hPp/Hh2neHZQ1a5hxhX+sdM=;
b=XPT5ycUQS/0nxdvLXFz6UysENrJfrqt9uBDUtrMuAYkLl4an9ek+yRu9irlfR7qWgu
BSe4+9bSs2NVRz5BiO8GWbMqP8UPTRxe9NFW0P6dBq0iY4C4L0f3Cmqi8EA/kSjwC80s
bJVyh7rVL0gAq70IU4mxWzSMh7yQtZnvDJavLlOLq3rTdYDqOu6OIcUEskW0ryZhgOPz
Db2d6WLWPzOLtriOsm+QSXz7KqCpbEZOlJzt6v9o/h2s1wTY3QDUgcb52etS4cjjkOqj
il3jXqHDtP9v4Em+pBmV6R2+xftHg+9zeaAn5OUZK4MQblmvCcQgCXZTmJIzdn9XoFzw
YY5Q==
 by: peter2...@gmail.com - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 21:50 UTC

This being Friday and with me having commitments for the evening,
I will be very brief in my responses.

On Wednesday, January 3, 2024 at 8:22:30 PM UTC-5, John Harshman wrote:
> On 1/3/24 12:51 PM, peter2...@gmail.com wrote:
> > This is a reply to the tail end of a post on JAMES TOUR VICTORIOUS?!
> > Despite the use of our two names, this OP is issue-oriented.
> > It is because everyone's brand of religion (or the lack of one)
> > is highly individual, even if the words used for it are the same,
> > that I use our names to orient the readers.
> >
> > For "hard atheism" I use the definition I learned in alt.atheism: the
> > unequivocal denial of the existence of a God or gods. For "agnosticism," the best
> > definition of my brand is that it asserts that it is impossible to prove,
> > beyond a reasonable doubt, the existence or nonexistence of a Designer of our universe.
> > Details of these stances follow in the reply itself:

> > That's an extreme of hard atheism that I think YOU need to grow out of.
> > One can be a hard atheist and still not think that there is something wrong
> > with not being one.

> You're responding to yourself there, to a bit where you imagine what I
> might think.

You've gone on record about the last clause in my PS; the bit that
you mindlessly taunt about is a reaction to that established fact.
What part of "need to grow out of" didn't you understand in your ignoring this basic connection?

> >> You don't believe in either God or a life after death, right?
> >
> > "believe in" is not a term I like to use, because it can be used to denote "trust"
> > where God or gods is concerned, as well as "conviction of its existence.."
> > And "trust" is not useful for talking about the main point of disagreement
> > between you and me. That point is illustrated by what comes next:

> One would hope so, since that paragraph says nothing substantive.

Gaslighting noted.

> >> Last I heard, you were 90% certain that they didn't exist.
> >
> > Just plain false where a life after death is concerned. Its existence
> > is not logically connected with that of God or gods; only its nature is, if it does exist.

> Again, you avoid taking any position.

Shameless ducking of the issue of "Just plain false," noted.

I began and copiously participated in a very long thread on how
people in t.o. react to the issue of life
after death, and said plenty about my views on it.

I've snipped two short things you wrote and one sentence I wrote
to get to one which you totally ignored below.

> > The 90% refers to a subjective confidence level; I have no idea what the objective
> > measure of correctness is or whether there even can be one.

> > The number is as low as it is because I bring the Designer of our universe , if any,
> > in via a very different universe in a multiverse of which our ca. 14 gigayear
> > old universe
> > is a vanishingly small fraction, as would be the universe of the Designer.
> > I'm sure you can recall this kind of talk from me several times in the past.

> What number?

That does it. I will waste no more time on you until you stop acting like a troll.

> You still haven't claimed any number. I don't think your
> position has so far been coherently expressed.

<remainder deleted>

Peter Nyikos

Re: Hard Atheism of John Harshman Contrasted with Agnosticism of Peter Nyikos

<26c169a3-f92b-4a92-882c-cb58dc310efdn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7449&group=talk.origins#7449

From: mohammad...@gmail.com (mohammad...@gmail.com)
Newsgroups: talk.origins
Peter Nyikos
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 15:13:46 -0800 (PST)
Sender: to%beagle.ediacara.org
To: talk-origins@moderators.isc.org
id E7DB6229786; Fri, 5 Jan 2024 18:11:42 -0500 (EST)
by beagle.ediacara.org (Postfix) with ESMTPS id AE22F229767
for <talk-origins@ediacara.org>; Fri, 5 Jan 2024 18:11:40 -0500 (EST)
by moderators.individual.net (Exim 4.95)
for talk-origins@moderators.isc.org with esmtps (TLS1.3)
tls TLS_AES_128_GCM_SHA256
(envelope-from <news@google.com>)
id 1rLtO9-003mIa-EA; Sat, 06 Jan 2024 00:14:05 +0100
for <talk-origins@moderators.isc.org>; Fri, 05 Jan 2024 15:13:47 -0800 (PST)
d=1e100.net; s=20230601; t=1704496427; x=1705101227;
h=content-transfer-encoding:to:injection-date:from:subject:message-id
:mime-version:user-agent:references:nntp-posting-host:injection-info
:in-reply-to:date:newsgroups:path:x-gm-message-state:from:to:cc
:subject:date:message-id:reply-to;
bh=yIoLN5y/O5zSuLxq468FluQbTrR/IeitdJgs6b1jHhY=;
b=ZOX73YWqL1xnItIt9Yj8Q1o7GqVzLTypwi4jmoQWreOKq6CUQV8tLvxCidq2Gzcbha
9jBEjtJ/ixNASv9VLkMGG+tV5A9o1Lsi2CdV6qJpcovY2AeXYsB5rd2eSIzI2XNzQSa3
phlwyDa5hnwe7b32m0UJ2pLVIkQfRXt1Zr2yr2qxYgUKG4uGttEXhUASjQUdIPaNpbVF
irw9Ju1jtRUEQC4zz3SEnSMmjz1iqrnfqnNTLSw3h1QviKdvJMFYkXQ1H6aowVsADus2
7CVXGXAgOVYjLp1dSecJFXaCc3tUmRRBmYqjzpEr4DeeMlpIVA0cs02zpgBIvVtWaQeq
MQbA==
 by: mohammad...@gmail.co - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 23:13 UTC

Just entertaining uncertainty is not sufficient for honesty. You should also consider the judgment that you are stupid.

The evidence of how subjectivity works, is directly available to you, in the logic that you yourself use intuitively in common discourse, with subjective words, like for instance the word "beautiful". The logic of subjectivity is that the spirit chooses, and the spirit is identified with a chosen opinion. The very simple logic of subjectivity clearly shows, that the subjective part of reality, is the part of it that chooses. The subjective part of reality, chooses how the objective part of reality, turns out.

Which if true, is something you could have known, and should have known, therefore the judgment of stupidity.

The name God is defined in terms of Him being a creator. Which places God in the subjective part of reality, the spiritual domain. Therefore God can only confirmed to be real with a chosen opinion. Same as emotions and personal character of people can only be confirmed to be real, with a chosen opinion, because they are also defined in terms of being on the side of choosing things.

1. Creator / chooses / spiritual / subjective / opinion
2. Creation / chosen / material / objective / fact

<CZacnbZR8oUjDQX4nZ2dnZfqlJ_-fwAA@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7451&group=talk.origins#7451

From: john.har...@gmail.com (John Harshman)
Newsgroups: talk.origins
Peter Nyikos
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 15:29:02 -0800
Sender: to%beagle.ediacara.org
To: talk-origins@moderators.isc.org
id C4D3A229786; Fri, 5 Jan 2024 18:27:55 -0500 (EST)
by beagle.ediacara.org (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 8ED00229767
for <talk-origins@ediacara.org>; Fri, 5 Jan 2024 18:27:53 -0500 (EST)
by moderators.individual.net (Exim 4.95)
for talk-origins@moderators.isc.org with esmtp
(envelope-from <poster@giganews.com>)
id 1rLtdq-003nMY-AN; Sat, 06 Jan 2024 00:30:18 +0100
by egress-mx.phmgmt.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id A575D6037D
for <talk-origins@moderators.isc.org>; Fri, 5 Jan 2024 23:28:11 +0000 (UTC)
by serv-1.ord.giganews.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 269494406A2
for <talk-origins@moderators.isc.org>; Fri, 5 Jan 2024 17:29:08 -0600 (CST)
by serv-1.i.ord.giganews.com (8.14.4/8.14.4/Submit) id 405NT7BK077325;
Fri, 5 Jan 2024 17:29:07 -0600
 by: John Harshman - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 23:29 UTC

On 1/5/24 1:50 PM, peter2...@gmail.com wrote:
> This being Friday and with me having commitments for the evening,
> I will be very brief in my responses.
>

> On Wednesday, January 3, 2024 at 8:22:30 PM UTC-5, John Harshman wrote:
>> On 1/3/24 12:51 PM, peter2...@gmail.com wrote:
>>> This is a reply to the tail end of a post on JAMES TOUR VICTORIOUS?!
>>> Despite the use of our two names, this OP is issue-oriented.
>>> It is because everyone's brand of religion (or the lack of one)
>>> is highly individual, even if the words used for it are the same,
>>> that I use our names to orient the readers.
>>>
>>> For "hard atheism" I use the definition I learned in alt.atheism: the
>>> unequivocal denial of the existence of a God or gods. For "agnosticism," the best
>>> definition of my brand is that it asserts that it is impossible to prove,
>>> beyond a reasonable doubt, the existence or nonexistence of a Designer of our universe.
>>> Details of these stances follow in the reply itself:

>>> That's an extreme of hard atheism that I think YOU need to grow out of.
>>> One can be a hard atheist and still not think that there is something wrong
>>> with not being one.
>
>> You're responding to yourself there, to a bit where you imagine what I
>> might think.
>
> You've gone on record about the last clause in my PS; the bit that
> you mindlessly taunt about is a reaction to that established fact.
> What part of "need to grow out of" didn't you understand in your ignoring this basic connection?

A little bit too brief, as it happens, and much of it wasted on simple
invective. Please try again, this time aiming for clear meaning rather
than mere expressions of contempt.

>>> "believe in" is not a term I like to use, because it can be used to denote "trust"
>>> where God or gods is concerned, as well as "conviction of its existence."
>>> And "trust" is not useful for talking about the main point of disagreement
>>> between you and me. That point is illustrated by what comes next:
>
>> One would hope so, since that paragraph says nothing substantive.
>
> Gaslighting noted.

Again, too brief to say anything.

>>> Just plain false where a life after death is concerned. Its existence
>>> is not logically connected with that of God or gods; only its nature is, if it does exist.
>
>> Again, you avoid taking any position.
>
> Shameless ducking of the issue of "Just plain false," noted.
>
> I began and copiously participated in a very long thread on how
> people in t.o. react to the issue of life
> after death, and said plenty about my views on it.

I don't recall reading that, and perhaps what you said was
characteristically unclear anyway.

> I've snipped two short things you wrote and one sentence I wrote
> to get to one which you totally ignored below.

Note that so far you have totally ignored everything I have said. And I
can't tell what it is you think I ignored.

>>> The 90% refers to a subjective confidence level; I have no idea what the objective
>>> measure of correctness is or whether there even can be one.
>
>>> The number is as low as it is because I bring the Designer of our universe , if any,
>>> in via a very different universe in a multiverse of which our ca. 14 gigayear
>>> old universe
>>> is a vanishingly small fraction, as would be the universe of the Designer.
>>> I'm sure you can recall this kind of talk from me several times in the past.
>
>> What number?
>
> That does it. I will waste no more time on you until you stop acting like a troll.

Good day, sir. I said, "good day!"

>> You still haven't claimed any number. I don't think your
>> position has so far been coherently expressed.

And still hasn't.

Re: Hard Atheism of John Harshman Contrasted with Agnosticism of Peter Nyikos

<unamjc$gc3p$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7467&group=talk.origins#7467

From: funkmast...@hotmail.com (zen cycle)
Newsgroups: talk.origins
Peter Nyikos
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 23:57:15 -0500
Sender: to%beagle.ediacara.org
To: talk-origins@moderators.isc.org
 by: zen cycle - Sat, 6 Jan 2024 04:57 UTC

On 1/5/2024 6:29 PM, John Harshman wrote:

>> That does it. I will waste no more time on you until you stop acting
>> like a troll.
>
> Good day, sir. I said, "good day!"

"It's like "piss off" but with a little touch of class"
https://youtu.be/OMkJIR9pX1w?si=INce1B36UiSVjkp2

Re: Hard Atheism of John Harshman Contrasted with Agnosticism of Peter Nyikos

<874dd432-0b4d-4e44-8e6c-c352746f7bf8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7573&group=talk.origins#7573

From: peter2ny...@gmail.com (peter2...@gmail.com)
Newsgroups: talk.origins
Peter Nyikos
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2024 16:38:04 -0800 (PST)
Sender: to%beagle.ediacara.org
To: talk-origins@moderators.isc.org
d=1e100.net; s=20230601; t=1704847085; x=1705451885;
h=content-transfer-encoding:to:injection-date:from:subject:message-id
:mime-version:user-agent:references:nntp-posting-host:injection-info
:in-reply-to:date:newsgroups:path:x-gm-message-state:from:to:cc
:subject:date:message-id:reply-to;
bh=Vnf7qASKayTe78OGFrcon4UyszcTPXYZ/otofPFaEbo=;
b=AF+nwuZEfYfrdGT7onrKD6kFxwEvD8MeK54HOfPRSgmTDOpOtj9QAd1FRxmJ4waygP
tyJiwtJxhf1tpYKHFUIOGhhUCmq5NvsHaxZw/W+4pcmplAov8ODXi6CInTzN4ikIT94a
srqvrZExsU8IubQLXcLAjKx6Qo0zSNV1M3F1gpkDyxFngfh5DjA7XtHFT46Dk9vXhta2
eBeMgfH2HTRNE6SzKK5Cbm+//RxMKN8gxkgo4QP9rlf04BTIzclG2vtBwrafEdtMbLA8
l8NkhaJ5c+XyGByoh0FgD+RiAe1aOg/SmM5abQ/ETaR2473k3MgdGbrXMg8zslIYnqC8
7eZg==
 by: peter2...@gmail.com - Wed, 10 Jan 2024 00:38 UTC

On Friday, January 5, 2024 at 6:17:30 PM UTC-5, mohammad...@gmail.com wrote:

> Just entertaining uncertainty is not sufficient for honesty. You should also consider the judgment that you are stupid.

Whose judgment, and why?

I think I'm beginning to understand where you are coming from, Nando. There seems to be an imperfect translation
into English that kept me from understanding before. "Subjective" and "objective" are understood very differently
in everyday English than are the philosophical concepts "subject" and "object" that are devilishly difficult to convey to materialists.

I am a conscious person with a personal identity that persists through decades: a SUBJECT.
The table on which my laptop is resting is a mere physical OBJECT.

> The evidence of how subjectivity works, is directly available to you, in the logic that you yourself use intuitively in common discourse, with subjective words, like for instance the word "beautiful".

These words describe aspects of my conscious experience. The primordial earth had nothing
that anything of the time could call "beautiful." Had the universe been without conscious life
all through its existence, the words "beautiful" and "ugly" would have had no meaning.

>The logic of subjectivity is that the spirit chooses, and the spirit is identified with a chosen opinion. The very simple logic of subjectivity clearly shows, that the subjective part of reality, is the part of it that chooses. The subjective part of reality, chooses how the objective part of reality, turns out.

You seem to be opting for a philosophy of Idealism -- a word meaning something very different
in everyday speech than it does in the philosophy of mind and in epistemology.

I lean towards dualism. This entails the belief that I cannot choose how my ancestors of the Mesozoic era turned out.

Had the placental mammals at the end of that era been wiped out, I would not exist to choose any part of reality.

> Which if true, is something you could have known, and should have known, therefore the judgment of stupidity.

Sorry, you do not have the right to call someone stupid on such grounds unless you address the difference
between your philosophy and his.

> The name God is defined in terms of Him being a creator.

You might have defined God out of existence. I acknowledge that it is not out of question for
there to have been a *creator* of our universe, but it is safer to hypothesize that
there was a *designer* of our universe who took some matter and energy that originated
in His universe and used it to fashion a new universe with very different physical properties.

Even so, I have doubts about a Being even that powerful existing. Subjectively, I rate
His existence at about a 10% probability.

> Which places God in the subjective part of reality, the spiritual domain.

I would prefer to say, "the domain of Subjects, but Subjects so much more
wise and powerful than ourselves, that worship of Him is an appropriate response,
with immense gratitude for having made our existence possible."

>Therefore God can only confirmed to be real with a chosen opinion.

Do you think YOU can only be confirmed to be real with someone's chosen opinion?

It was not mere opinion that led Descartes to say, "I am, I exist every time I think."
It was his immediate experience of reality. And like unto it was a statement
uttered by a golem in a story: "Time is."

> Same as emotions and personal character of people can only be confirmed to be real,
with a chosen opinion, because they are also defined in terms of being on the side of choosing things.

Are you saying, in different words, that the character of people is determined by the choices they make?
If so, I agree.

> 1. Creator / chooses / spiritual / subjective / opinion
> 2. Creation / chosen / material / objective / fact

Subjects like myself don't just have opinions. We understand facts,
such as the Pythagorean theorem or the existence of infinitely many prime numbers.
By "we" I mean not just myself but everyone intelligent enough to understand
these facts if they are properly explained to them.

Peter Nyikos
Professor, Dept. of Mathematics -- standard disclaimer--
University of South Carolina
https://people.math.sc.edu/nyikos

PS you didn't reply to, or even allude to, anything preserved below.
But I left in everything below in case you might want to refer
to it in any reply you make to me.
> [...]
> > of his book, _Cosmos_.
> >

> > > What in fact does
> > > Christmas mean to you?
> >
> > Primarily, a celebration of the birth of Jesus. Secondarily, a very festive
> > occasion that the Scrooges and Grinches of our society would have us abandon.
> > My OP of the thread, "Modern Grinches," goes into this; see:
> >
> > https://groups.google.com/g/talk.origins/c/rYVfxWoYgMY/m/8TgHMjaAAwAJ
> > Dec 19, 2023, 4:52:14 PM
> >
> > Burkhard did a long post later in that thread on the Puritans, who were even more extreme
> > in their opposition to what is the secondary meaning of Christmas for me.
> >

> > > Is there something wrong with being an atheist?
> >
> > Absolutely not. I have gone too many miles in the moccasins of atheists,
> > as the saying goes, to have anything but respect for atheism. It's the excess
> > baggage that atheists like the you add on to it where my objections begin.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Hard Atheism of John Harshman Contrasted with Agnosticism of Peter Nyikos

<f37e51a6-ab99-46d2-bbe8-e9ed1dd62254n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7575&group=talk.origins#7575

From: peter2ny...@gmail.com (peter2...@gmail.com)
Newsgroups: talk.origins
Peter Nyikos
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2024 19:20:41 -0800 (PST)
Sender: to%beagle.ediacara.org
To: talk-origins@moderators.isc.org
d=1e100.net; s=20230601; t=1704856842; x=1705461642;
h=content-transfer-encoding:to:injection-date:from:subject:message-id
:mime-version:user-agent:references:nntp-posting-host:injection-info
:in-reply-to:date:newsgroups:path:x-gm-message-state:from:to:cc
:subject:date:message-id:reply-to;
bh=/weSIkfsRZWR2Z6CP5tSq9nA5hT7UI4nOpboFTYBhQQ=;
b=Ia/0OIWgYDqku93r0OtCVCjIbTJ4eNmMpfsrKDl/015NX9F1MAYLe5fArFNWzybgi5
ebIabwa4UHVB7kSiYos2UdCRui/0zp61OvxBhAn4BsB2HLEV79fsj9abYhnkf1L8n1s4
uLRGQYYrgZtzDXYcfGSfG4UJtWuFq32+NktMRv0hSD0Rqz2e8g8nLtFYWFMpWgqjVIot
t3YXPuv6AI8RSAU51EK9DCwBMQph1OJCOiNbL04KfonK/E/77mQivlldOP2r4dCJqcbI
htrXX4WUmq2r/4p6m/mGR1daoJfsEFqSGv6TDgQ+tT/xz0Pyq6kQZ90t91F200PanY0h
immw==
 by: peter2...@gmail.com - Wed, 10 Jan 2024 03:20 UTC

On Thursday, January 4, 2024 at 12:32:29 AM UTC-5, erik simpson wrote:
> On 1/3/24 5:19 PM, John Harshman wrote:
> > On 1/3/24 12:51 PM, peter2...@gmail.com wrote:
> >> This is a reply to the tail end of a post on JAMES TOUR VICTORIOUS?!
> >> Despite the use of our two names, this OP is issue-oriented.
> >> It is because everyone's brand of religion (or the lack of one)
> >> is highly individual, even if the words used for it are the same,
> >> that I use our names to orient the readers.
> >>
> >> For "hard atheism" I use the definition I learned in alt.atheism: the
> >> unequivocal denial of the existence of a God or gods. For
> >> "agnosticism," the best
> >> definition of my brand is that it asserts that it is impossible to prove,
> >> beyond a reasonable doubt, the existence or nonexistence of a Designer
> >> of our universe.
> >> Details of these stances follow in the reply itself:

<snip for focus>

About the position that there is no Designer of our universe, I had written:

> >> The 90% refers to a subjective confidence level; I have no idea what
> >> the objective
> >> measure of correctness is or whether there even can be one.
[...]
> >> The number is as low as it is because I bring the Designer of our
> >> universe , if any, in via a very different universe in a multiverse
>>> of which our ca. 14 gigayear old universe is a vanishingly
> >> small fraction, as would be the universe of the Designer.
> >> I'm sure you can recall this kind of talk from me several times in the
> >> past.
[...]
> >> Were it not for the possibility of that very different universe, the
> >> 90% would become more like 99.99999999%.
>>> But even that is small compared to my conviction that
>>> there IS a multiverse, as opposed to your 19th century style
> >> conviction that our one little universe is all there is
>>> or was or can be. Carl Sagan was very much behind the times
>>>when he made that conviction into the opening sentence
> >> of his book, _Cosmos_.

<snip to get to your words, Erik>

> Your conviction of am enormous multiverse arouses my curiosity. How did
> you come to such a conclusion? I intend no hostility; just interest.

Yesterday was the last day of the Christmas season for us Catholics,
but you seem to be receptive to the idea of continuing our truce
[see the PS before my first snip for focus] beyond it, and I am happy
to go along.

In a nutshell: what convinced me was what is commonly called
"the fine tuning of the basic physical constants." However, that often produces
the Pavlov-style reflex "tuning implies a tuner," so I prefer a more objective
expression, "the extremely low tolerance of the basic physical constants
to conditions compatible with the existence of intelligent life in the universe."

The basic idea is that these low tolerances make our universe violate
the principle of mediocrity to a staggering extent. How could it be the
only universe when all it takes is a tiny tweak here or a tiny tweak
there to destroy the possibility of intelligent life?

You started a thread on Martin Rees; how much did you read about
"fine tuning" there? I warmly recommend his book _Just_Six_Numbers_
as an introduction to the reasoning for there being a multiverse.

The book can be read in fewer hours than there are in a day, but to
save you a lot of time, here is something you can read in less than an hour
and still give you the gist of Rees's argument:

https://www.firstscience.com/SITE/ARTICLES/rees.asp

Here are my two favorite examples, because of their simplicity and
the low tolerances. One is symbolized by a fancy ornate N, the other
by a big Greek epsilon. I've added some details in brackets to what you
see in the webpage.

N = 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 [10^36]
The cosmos is so vast because there is one crucially important huge number in nature. N measures the strength of the electrical forces that hold atoms together, divided by the force of gravity between them. If it had a few less zeros [30 instead of 36], only a short-lived and miniature universe could exist. [Stars would be crowded so much together that stable planetary orbits would be great rarities.] No creatures would be larger than insects, and there would be no time for evolution to lead to intelligent life. [A star the mass of our sun would burn out in about 10,000 years.]

*More* zeros might not be a problem, but my other favorite is severely restricted on both ends.
It is related to the ratio of the nuclear force holding atomic nuclei together to the
electromagnetic repulsion tending to blow them apart, but its actual definition
is a bit more subtle: it is the amount of energy released when a helium nucleus
results from the fusion of what started out as four protons.

epsilon = 0.007
Another number, epsilon, defines how firmly atomic nuclei bind together and how all the atoms on Earth were made. The value of epsilon controls the power from the Sun and, more sensitively, how stars transmute hydrogen into all the atoms of the periodic table. Carbon and oxygen are common, and gold and uranium are rare, because of what happens in the stars. If epsilon were 0.006 or 0.008, we could not exist. [If it were .006, no atoms but hydrogen could form; if it were .008, water and carbon would exist in trace amounts because most atomic nuclei would be many times bigger than oxygen nuclei..]

Does that help?

Peter Nyikos
Professor, Dept. of Mathematics -- standard disclaimer--
Univ. of South Carolina at Columbia
http://people.math.sc.edu/nyikos

Re: Hard Atheism of John Harshman Contrasted with Agnosticism of Peter Nyikos

<bsGdnS0SwZyoqwP4nZ2dnZfqlJxj4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7582&group=talk.origins#7582

From: john.har...@gmail.com (John Harshman)
Newsgroups: talk.origins
Peter Nyikos
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2024 22:16:21 -0800
Sender: to%beagle.ediacara.org
To: talk-origins@moderators.isc.org
id 8DF9A229786; Wed, 10 Jan 2024 01:14:12 -0500 (EST)
by beagle.ediacara.org (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 45ABB229767
for <talk-origins@ediacara.org>; Wed, 10 Jan 2024 01:14:10 -0500 (EST)
by moderators.individual.net (Exim 4.95)
for talk-origins@moderators.isc.org with esmtp
(envelope-from <poster@giganews.com>)
id 1rNRtH-002VD5-3J; Wed, 10 Jan 2024 07:16:39 +0100
by egress-mx.phmgmt.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id B59956035E
for <talk-origins@moderators.isc.org>; Wed, 10 Jan 2024 06:15:28 +0000 (UTC)
by serv-2.ord.giganews.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id E8AED440685
for <talk-origins@moderators.isc.org>; Wed, 10 Jan 2024 00:16:27 -0600 (CST)
by serv-2.i.ord.giganews.com (8.14.4/8.14.4/Submit) id 40A6GRlt028799;
Wed, 10 Jan 2024 00:16:27 -0600
 by: John Harshman - Wed, 10 Jan 2024 06:16 UTC

On 1/9/24 7:20 PM, peter2...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, January 4, 2024 at 12:32:29 AM UTC-5, erik simpson wrote:

> <snip for focus>
>

> About the position that there is no Designer of our universe, I had written:

> [...]
> [...]
>
> <snip to get to your words, Erik>
>
>> Your conviction of am enormous multiverse arouses my curiosity. How did
>> you come to such a conclusion? I intend no hostility; just interest.
>
> Yesterday was the last day of the Christmas season for us Catholics,
> but you seem to be receptive to the idea of continuing our truce
> [see the PS before my first snip for focus] beyond it, and I am happy
> to go along.
>
> In a nutshell: what convinced me was what is commonly called
> "the fine tuning of the basic physical constants." However, that often produces
> the Pavlov-style reflex "tuning implies a tuner," so I prefer a more objective
> expression, "the extremely low tolerance of the basic physical constants
> to conditions compatible with the existence of intelligent life in the universe."
>
> The basic idea is that these low tolerances make our universe violate
> the principle of mediocrity to a staggering extent. How could it be the
> only universe when all it takes is a tiny tweak here or a tiny tweak
> there to destroy the possibility of intelligent life?

There's a hidden assumption that you need to nail down: that the
constants you mention are drawn from a distribution of possibilities
that you know sufficiently to say that the range you accept as resulting
in the possibility of life is a small proportion of the distribution,
i.e. that a universe within that range has a low probability. How was
this determined?

It's no use saying that only a slight variation would be tolerated
unless you know what range is possible (and what the shape of the
distribution is).

> You started a thread on Martin Rees; how much did you read about
> "fine tuning" there? I warmly recommend his book _Just_Six_Numbers_
> as an introduction to the reasoning for there being a multiverse.
>
> The book can be read in fewer hours than there are in a day, but to
> save you a lot of time, here is something you can read in less than an hour
> and still give you the gist of Rees's argument:
>
> https://www.firstscience.com/SITE/ARTICLES/rees.asp
>
> Here are my two favorite examples, because of their simplicity and
> the low tolerances. One is symbolized by a fancy ornate N, the other
> by a big Greek epsilon. I've added some details in brackets to what you
> see in the webpage.
>
> N = 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 [10^36]
> The cosmos is so vast because there is one crucially important huge number in nature. N measures the strength of the electrical forces that hold atoms together, divided by the force of gravity between them. If it had a few less zeros [30 instead of 36], only a short-lived and miniature universe could exist. [Stars would be crowded so much together that stable planetary orbits would be great rarities.] No creatures would be larger than insects, and there would be no time for evolution to lead to intelligent life. [A star the mass of our sun would burn out in about 10,000 years.]
>
> *More* zeros might not be a problem, but my other favorite is severely restricted on both ends.
> It is related to the ratio of the nuclear force holding atomic nuclei together to the
> electromagnetic repulsion tending to blow them apart, but its actual definition
> is a bit more subtle: it is the amount of energy released when a helium nucleus
> results from the fusion of what started out as four protons.
>
> epsilon = 0.007
> Another number, epsilon, defines how firmly atomic nuclei bind together and how all the atoms on Earth were made. The value of epsilon controls the power from the Sun and, more sensitively, how stars transmute hydrogen into all the atoms of the periodic table. Carbon and oxygen are common, and gold and uranium are rare, because of what happens in the stars. If epsilon were 0.006 or 0.008, we could not exist. [If it were .006, no atoms but hydrogen could form; if it were .008, water and carbon would exist in trace amounts because most atomic nuclei would be many times bigger than oxygen nuclei.]
>

> Does that help?
>

> Peter Nyikos
> Professor, Dept. of Mathematics -- standard disclaimer--
> Univ. of South Carolina at Columbia
> http://people.math.sc.edu/nyikos

Re: Hard Atheism of John Harshman Contrasted with Agnosticism of Peter Nyikos

<udkspilu9mube34tprceisgl44rc2v36pf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7583&group=talk.origins#7583

From: 69jpi...@gmail.com (jillery)
Newsgroups: talk.origins
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 03:19:31 -0500
Sender: to%beagle.ediacara.org
To: talk-origins@moderators.isc.org
id 2ACC0229786; Wed, 10 Jan 2024 03:17:19 -0500 (EST)
by beagle.ediacara.org (Postfix) with ESMTPS id E2206229767
for <talk-origins@ediacara.org>; Wed, 10 Jan 2024 03:17:16 -0500 (EST)
by moderators.individual.net (Exim 4.95)
for talk-origins@moderators.isc.org with esmtps (TLS1.3)
tls TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384
(envelope-from <news@reader6.news.weretis.net>)
id 1rNToQ-002e7P-0U; Wed, 10 Jan 2024 09:19:46 +0100
(using TLSv1.3 with cipher TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384 (256/256 bits)
key-exchange X25519 server-signature RSA-PSS (2048 bits) server-digest SHA256)
(No client certificate requested)
by pmx.weretis.net (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 557563E891
for <talk-origins@moderators.isc.org>; Wed, 10 Jan 2024 09:19:33 +0100 (CET)
id 44F1F3E865; Wed, 10 Jan 2024 09:19:33 +0100 (CET)
 by: jillery - Wed, 10 Jan 2024 08:19 UTC

On Tue, 9 Jan 2024 22:16:21 -0800, John Harshman
<john.harshman@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 1/9/24 7:20 PM, peter2...@gmail.com wrote:

>> <snip for focus>
>>

>> About the position that there is no Designer of our universe, I had written:

>> [...]
>> [...]
>>
>> <snip to get to your words, Erik>
>>
>>> Your conviction of am enormous multiverse arouses my curiosity. How did
>>> you come to such a conclusion? I intend no hostility; just interest.
>>
>> Yesterday was the last day of the Christmas season for us Catholics,
>> but you seem to be receptive to the idea of continuing our truce
>> [see the PS before my first snip for focus] beyond it, and I am happy
>> to go along.
>>
>> In a nutshell: what convinced me was what is commonly called
>> "the fine tuning of the basic physical constants." However, that often produces
>> the Pavlov-style reflex "tuning implies a tuner," so I prefer a more objective
>> expression, "the extremely low tolerance of the basic physical constants
>> to conditions compatible with the existence of intelligent life in the universe."
>>
>> The basic idea is that these low tolerances make our universe violate
>> the principle of mediocrity to a staggering extent. How could it be the
>> only universe when all it takes is a tiny tweak here or a tiny tweak
>> there to destroy the possibility of intelligent life?
>
>There's a hidden assumption that you need to nail down: that the
>constants you mention are drawn from a distribution of possibilities
>that you know sufficiently to say that the range you accept as resulting
>in the possibility of life is a small proportion of the distribution,
>i.e. that a universe within that range has a low probability. How was
>this determined?
>
>It's no use saying that only a slight variation would be tolerated
>unless you know what range is possible (and what the shape of the
>distribution is).

IIRC Steve Carlip et al pointed this out to him years ago, before
Carlip gave up posting to T.O. Apparently Nyikos and R.Dean enjoy
recycling the same old PRATTs.

--
To know less than we don't know is the nature of most knowledge

Re: Hard Atheism of John Harshman Contrasted with Agnosticism of Peter Nyikos

<c8aef69d-4821-4367-a638-6a66b921bf78n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7585&group=talk.origins#7585

From: j.nobel....@gmail.com (Lawyer Daggett)
Newsgroups: talk.origins
Peter Nyikos
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 01:37:00 -0800 (PST)
Sender: to%beagle.ediacara.org
To: talk-origins@moderators.isc.org
d=1e100.net; s=20230601; t=1704879421; x=1705484221;
h=content-transfer-encoding:to:injection-date:from:subject:message-id
:mime-version:user-agent:references:nntp-posting-host:injection-info
:in-reply-to:date:newsgroups:path:x-gm-message-state:from:to:cc
:subject:date:message-id:reply-to;
bh=z0jPrrzHPuMoQx119FQKqSaFrxpPYSCpqOqeEf3giBA=;
b=oLKLGpckwtQgmYzb57RgDWH1kppmkoE3A40cy/USm//ELVp/W75LPvX0NZPE7rIQ/z
29HBVPPWdaMHse3HKdlqXadMdkNk6J9NhQAUQlzZ4JZ5GZWMsqLk3eyH4bFMPXT5bCZh
BH0wbggOCTXGOht0rFdjlbZNK4Gq6/M5F4eZ/LcPP4ndmQaivtdWCYN/IB6LO/de52zD
+7ZF11TsCmNVwY1I5sXB2E6NBfFj1s5kAFgh10123moQ9xDcYvqNJE9LwUQdSItlE9n0
A1Gz/tTRMdhp+aOU8UT34upyx8ybVP80YkFkdXjLquV1ivI5Pe8snzqSFXoNIKgZ6pyA
JpTQ==
 by: Lawyer Daggett - Wed, 10 Jan 2024 09:37 UTC

On Tuesday, January 9, 2024 at 7:42:35 PM UTC-5, peter2...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, January 5, 2024 at 6:17:30 PM UTC-5, mohammad...@gmail..com wrote:
>
> > Just entertaining uncertainty is not sufficient for honesty. You should also consider the judgment that you are stupid.
> Whose judgment, and why?
>
> I think I'm beginning to understand where you are coming from, Nando. There seems to be an imperfect translation
> into English that kept me from understanding before. "Subjective" and "objective" are understood very differently
> in everyday English than are the philosophical concepts "subject" and "object" that are devilishly difficult to convey to materialists.
>
> I am a conscious person with a personal identity that persists through decades: a SUBJECT.
> The table on which my laptop is resting is a mere physical OBJECT.

While the notion of having some profound insight into what Nando is saying entertains, and in ways I think
we have a matched set, I'm just here to drop something off that will enrage both so as to better foster
their mutual admiration.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2398369-why-free-will-doesnt-exist-according-to-robert-sapolsky/

Re: Hard Atheism of John Harshman Contrasted with Agnosticism of Peter Nyikos

<911a843c-5bc2-43a8-a0f7-8ffb84840701n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7593&group=talk.origins#7593

From: peter2ny...@gmail.com (peter2...@gmail.com)
Newsgroups: talk.origins
Peter Nyikos
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 05:32:35 -0800 (PST)
Sender: to%beagle.ediacara.org
To: talk-origins@moderators.isc.org
id 43571229786; Wed, 10 Jan 2024 08:30:28 -0500 (EST)
by beagle.ediacara.org (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 10C0D229767
for <talk-origins@ediacara.org>; Wed, 10 Jan 2024 08:30:26 -0500 (EST)
by moderators.individual.net (Exim 4.95)
for talk-origins@moderators.isc.org with esmtps (TLS1.3)
tls TLS_AES_128_GCM_SHA256
(envelope-from <news@google.com>)
id 1rNYhT-0030Y5-8l; Wed, 10 Jan 2024 14:32:55 +0100
for <talk-origins@moderators.isc.org>; Wed, 10 Jan 2024 05:32:37 -0800 (PST)
d=1e100.net; s=20230601; t=1704893556; x=1705498356;
h=content-transfer-encoding:to:injection-date:from:subject:message-id
:mime-version:user-agent:references:nntp-posting-host:injection-info
:in-reply-to:date:newsgroups:path:x-gm-message-state:from:to:cc
:subject:date:message-id:reply-to;
bh=h6ceJ7A1ZxJz3Tdd2ZmwEYvG6z3/PePRE6ZNOJ1tx2g=;
b=SUrqpR9ftWpFTgkmHfKg2vVwgJcxRW2JWSjCnaaT5xuPMU9r5ZEW/FtJmbGHnqzH33
M8iabwjeD4hxLHedAaLl5z0aqzRi+1u2Fg7qbD1ger0NAZjJzf3H0pkRzdCd2mpJgHW/
EIYrgt9Xlse8kITQw+1XKhjSxsAvJTdffBysN1MwrDNsatzXSU/v0V3i23saUbN4Xw1l
86eloZsLxOn7WFvC5ZsDxf9/20VFJ8slOJGRWqAne8GHCuVD19MShlCWrkTVWzpEUV/I
txt5wW+H1WKspStzAFVcZerHK96sl9UACMxbO9QISIP2j2E4a078e1+qbIav+INkSKpb
i1HA==
 by: peter2...@gmail.com - Wed, 10 Jan 2024 13:32 UTC

On Wednesday, January 10, 2024 at 4:37:35 AM UTC-5, Lawyer Daggett wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 9, 2024 at 7:42:35 PM UTC-5, peter2...@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Friday, January 5, 2024 at 6:17:30 PM UTC-5, mohammad...@gmail.com wrote:
> >
> > > Just entertaining uncertainty is not sufficient for honesty. You should also consider the judgment that you are stupid.
> > Whose judgment, and why?
> >
> > I think I'm beginning to understand where you are coming from, Nando. There seems to be an imperfect translation
> > into English that kept me from understanding before. "Subjective" and "objective" are understood very differently
> > in everyday English than are the philosophical concepts "subject" and "object" that are devilishly difficult to convey to materialists.
> >
> > I am a conscious person with a personal identity that persists through decades: a SUBJECT.
> > The table on which my laptop is resting is a mere physical OBJECT.

> While the notion of having some profound insight into what Nando is saying entertains, and in ways I think
> we have a matched set,

Yes. I am also entertained by what you are saying here. We are a matched set in that respect.

> I'm just here to drop something off that will enrage both so as to better foster
> their mutual admiration.

How can I be enraged when Robert Sapolsky, who denies free will, ducks the essential
question of the interviewer, Timothy Revell, in a transparent way?
I can only be amused by how inferior his whole argument against free will is to others
I have seen -- yet they too have been shot down.

Now Nando might be enraged, but let's wait until we hear from him, shall we?

> https://www.newscientist.com/article/2398369-why-free-will-doesnt-exist-according-to-robert-sapolsky/

The relevant excerpts:

Revell:
Is there, when people come to you and say, “Oh, but there’s still a little bit of room,” you know, “These are all things that influence me on a given day. of course, if it’s hot, I’m more likely to go outside and enjoy the sun, but it’s still my decision,” how do you go from that, from influences, to, “It’s not just influences, everything we do is dictated in one way or another, by this whole combination of factors’?

Note the words, "more likely." Now watch the denier's response:

Sapolsky:
look at some behaviour, you just pulled the trigger on a gun, like something very consequential, and you could probably even identify the three-and-a-half neurons in the motor cortex that sent that command to your muscles.
Show me, let’s examine those three-and-a-half neurons that just did that. Show me that what they did was completely impervious to what was going on in any other neuron surrounding them, but at the same time, show me that it was impervious to whether you were tired, stressed, sleepy, happy, well-fed, at that moment.

In short, Sapolsky was completely impervious to the words, "more likely."
You may be impressed by his "clever" mangling of logic, but I'm not.

Now watch some smart alec claim that I am taking all this out
of context, yet not lifting a finger to show how the context
is supposed to make a wise man out of Sapolsky.

Peter Nyikos
Professor, Dept. of Mathematics -- standard disclaimer--
University of So. Carolina at Columbia
http://people.math.sc.edu/nyikos

PS The overall effect here is the age-old stalemate:
free will has neither been proved nor convincingly argued against.
Sapolsky is begging the question a bit later by saying that proof
of his brand of imperviousness would convince him.

Re: Hard Atheism of John Harshman Contrasted with Agnosticism of Peter Nyikos

<1bb1f7a5-0c39-4e05-8a8c-c18269b6c716n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7595&group=talk.origins#7595

From: nando_ro...@live.nl (Nando Ronteltap)
Newsgroups: talk.origins
Peter Nyikos
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 07:19:06 -0800 (PST)
Sender: to%beagle.ediacara.org
To: talk-origins@moderators.isc.org
d=1e100.net; s=20230601; t=1704899951; x=1705504751;
h=content-transfer-encoding:to:injection-date:from:subject:message-id
:mime-version:user-agent:references:nntp-posting-host:injection-info
:in-reply-to:date:newsgroups:path:x-gm-message-state:from:to:cc
:subject:date:message-id:reply-to;
bh=i0ppCA4tKTpFtuV31cby5NJ1C/FuuToH8C1b1dDP5us=;
b=XDawnxosRtTZDGDRNc1H8sVOjM+ONPVbaR8E2xI9WtC1z4Zjn9ZXsIyRQyzDfKm66D
umCp4tJAl5pFwmJcNjjbmkJyZB0S3AAmLA/Pg+S917xhLRUMtrS3LhgXNLL51KEkWfzx
KUhFLMUpCv+BGf4j6OHdry4m21R0sRkV9syAYuIMkobQAMs7LEmgSD+ZKXZ2jo+UoSw/
d7/d+nBF7mc0rEOnMOW+yh1QidUQ6ji5ljtQFWgtMhSYgfRZo2lLBdqeScqWJkKK5vrM
4IUbRg7y9NDdcE4MJZxYVbhHYUwWWH3CSRYgvJC3Fie7Bwj1Oq2PYlicu0+x/Br9ENxN
bwHg==
 by: Nando Ronteltap - Wed, 10 Jan 2024 15:19 UTC

The judgment that you are stupid, by a fair judge, and that you would accept the judgment. Obviously the consideration is, that it would be a helpful judgment. That by opening up to such a judgment that you are stupid, that then you would see the truth.

You, like everyone, expresses subjective opinions all the time, like on relations, and politics. So then you are supposed to know the logic of it, so that you can produce good personal opinions, by checking your personal opinions with your intellectual understanding of it. It is basic civilization to understand the concepts of fact & opinion. You should know it.

There is no imperfect translation to English happening here, again you would not say such things, if you opened up to the judgment that you are stupid.. What is happening is that you have the wrong idea about how choosing works, the wrong idea that choosing is explained in terms of figuring out what is best. The correct explanation of choosing is in terms of spontaneity, that a decision can turn out one way, or another in the moment.

If choosing is explained in terms of figuring out what is best, then that requires a brain to do the figuring. A brain is a material thing, it is objective. So then if you define choosing in terms of figuring out what is best, then you have replaced the subjective spirit, with the objective brain. Then you have no functional concept of subjectivity anymore. So choosing is defined in terms of spontaneity, and choosing in terms of what is best is a complicated way of choosing, involving several decisions, which decisions are all spontaneous.

Subjectivity is all logical, and there is no room for nonsense like Descartes. An event can turn out A or B in the moment. It turns out A. Which is a decision. Then you can choose a personal opinion, in what spirit the decision was made. Choose between the subjective words P and Q. Choose Q, then your personal opinion is that A was chosen in a spirit of Q.

The EVIDENCE of how subjective words are used in common discourse, shows that this is how it works. Someone chooses something, I can choose the opinion he is courageous or reckless, in the decision that he makes. Either opinion is equally logically valid. Which validity does not mean that the opinion is morally upright, which can be contested on a subjective basis.

And that does mean that I as being a decision maker can only be acknowledged to be real, with a chosen opinion. There are the facts of an organization of decision making processes in my human body, and the fact of what possibilities I have available to choose from, and then there is the opinion in what spirit I choose what I do.

And I don't particularly need any certainty about my existence as being a decision maker. That is basically like trying to objectify me as being a decision maker, which is an awful way to be treated. Because if personal character of someone is regarded as a factual issue, then there is no mercy, no cruelty either, in reaching a conclusion about what someone's personal character is. Because facts are forced by evidence, so there is no freedom to be either merciful, or cruel in judgment. Then I get an emotionless judgment on my personal character, on me, which is disgusting. It is basic lack of civilization.

Proper is, to choose a personal opinion on the personal character of someone. You choose the personal opinion on what my personal character is, from your own emotions, and personal character. My personal character, is greeted, by your personal character. Subjectivity is not a problem, it works.

You cannot ignore the evidence of how subjectivity works, that is in common discourse, and then pretend to have anything meaningful to say about it. What's in common discourse, is the real subjectivity.

Facts are also validated by creationism, in category 2. Facts apply to creations, not creators. Facts are models of creations. Not to be confused with feelings of certainty, which may or may not be associated to any particular fact.

<c5a69cde-9750-46d0-8fe7-400472d5205dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7596&group=talk.origins#7596

From: peter2ny...@gmail.com (peter2...@gmail.com)
Newsgroups: talk.origins
Peter Nyikos
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 07:21:06 -0800 (PST)
Sender: to%beagle.ediacara.org
To: talk-origins@moderators.isc.org
id EEEC6229786; Wed, 10 Jan 2024 10:18:56 -0500 (EST)
by beagle.ediacara.org (Postfix) with ESMTPS id BD6E7229767
for <talk-origins@ediacara.org>; Wed, 10 Jan 2024 10:18:54 -0500 (EST)
by moderators.individual.net (Exim 4.95)
for talk-origins@moderators.isc.org with esmtps (TLS1.3)
tls TLS_AES_128_GCM_SHA256
(envelope-from <news@google.com>)
id 1rNaOR-0038Ij-Ur; Wed, 10 Jan 2024 16:21:24 +0100
for <talk-origins@moderators.isc.org>; Wed, 10 Jan 2024 07:21:07 -0800 (PST)
d=1e100.net; s=20230601; t=1704900066; x=1705504866;
h=content-transfer-encoding:to:injection-date:from:subject:message-id
:mime-version:user-agent:references:nntp-posting-host:injection-info
:in-reply-to:date:newsgroups:path:x-gm-message-state:from:to:cc
:subject:date:message-id:reply-to;
bh=gOseqECQqiMZl05cZgwdVTkQj12gwpvG/8aheLN9riI=;
b=aSEPQtQncmKSp4O2IPOAxvUov0X1kax7Sy4j3NCM1R1+IC+TpotNLoKJ79Rh6TlFTT
Q8afB44qPk50Ap2e+hw+qkDf7QD6K356dlyqtxfWXFP2DcdC7nfz5L4SC0F93kGN47Ak
slukivbpETGTA+gRma7CdEEusn4gox5KN1sBx+jO6RaLbE1vksr+NQ9bqg3XbfAY9PVe
4JuwEWQHVT4CE3CJV9FNjikcbyKUc99HafnsQ91jRJOP2F6/9QPRCuRB3OGXNXfNsG0A
np0I0qThBl0WjAHSQngaxcPPwl35G6oUngSaI9skgR8fNS3ae+wAYYCKlTv5E/67IyxK
fLdQ==
 by: peter2...@gmail.com - Wed, 10 Jan 2024 15:21 UTC

In contrast to the reply I made to you about an hour and a half ago,
I am not amused by this earlier retort to me by you, "Daggett."

On Wednesday, January 3, 2024 at 6:37:28 PM UTC-5, Lawyer Daggett wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 3, 2024 at 3:52:28 PM UTC-5, peter2...@gmail.com wrote:
> > This is a reply to the tail end of a post on JAMES TOUR VICTORIOUS?!
> > Despite the use of our two names, this OP is issue-oriented.
> > It is because everyone's brand of religion (or the lack of one)
> > is highly individual, even if the words used for it are the same,
> > that I use our names to orient the readers.
> >
> > For "hard atheism" I use the definition I learned in alt.atheism: the
> > unequivocal denial of the existence of a God or gods. For "agnosticism," the best
> > definition of my brand is that it asserts that it is impossible to prove,
> > beyond a reasonable doubt, the existence or nonexistence of a Designer of our universe.
> > Details of these stances follow in the reply itself:

> Your indulging in self-serving partial views.
> You have a history of calling people atheists with invidious connotations of that
> entailing their being immoral.

You are projecting Glenn's attitude onto me. You couldn't document me
behaving that way if your life's savings depended on it.

You embellish this guilt by association with "garbage out"
that relies on your "garbage in":

>You use it as character assassination, often in the
> context of various poisoning the well fallacies and ad hominem fallacies.

> Your cherry-picked definitions here evade you equivocal usage in the past..

There is nothing cherry-picked about them. They use official definitions
adopted by alt.atheism in its heyday. Your "equivocal" is pejorative
spin-doctoring of my not making the distinctions I make here all the time.

> Atheism is a lack of belief in god(s).

That's what they called "weak atheism":

On Weak Atheism
This is often understood as simply lacking the belief in the existence of gods. But it is different from implicit atheism in the respect that the weak atheist calls him- or herself an atheist. The weak atheist does have an attitude towards theism, namely a sceptical one: he or she questions the validity and possibility of theistic claims.
-- https://web.archive.org/web/20161016015426/http://alt-atheism.org/atheism:onatheism

> As is pointed out often, the typical difference
> between an atheist and a theist is that an atheist lacks belief in one additional god
> compared to a theist. That is a fairer starting point.

Only if one does not use adjectives like "Hard" (or "Strong," a somewhat more general concept):

On Strong Atheism
This is also explained as the belief that particular gods, or all gods, do not exist. However, this is confusing and causes many people to think that atheism is a kind of belief, a sort of anti-religiousreligion. It's better to say that the strong atheist feels more certain and has a stronger attitude towards theism than the weak atheist. A strong atheist rejects the notion of gods in general or the notion of a particular god (while remaining somewhat indifferent regarding other god-concepts).
-- *ibid.*

> Your weave into agnosticism is similarly not done fairly. A statement that
> we can't know can easily apply to both theists and atheists.

Again you are at odds with the official designation:

On agnosticism
Thomas Huxley coined the term “agnosticism” to describe a method of inquiry, which simply accepts that which is established by natural reason and doubts that which is not. Weak atheists, strong atheists, and even deists have claimed to be “agnostics” in this sense, i.e., they do not claim to have a “gnosis” or hidden knowledge. . . .
--*ibid.*

The first sentence applies to me perfectly. All through my postings I have stuck to
scientific arguments, including the ones on ID. All hypothesized designers of
earth organisms were assumed to have evolved from the humblest microorganisms
on their home planets.

In contrast, Harshman did imply that he had (hidden, because he never argued for it)
knowledge that God does not exist, by calling it a fairy tale that adults
need to grow out of. He said the same thing about a belief in the existence
of life after death. That is about as strong as atheism can get.

> Being an atheist isn't in any way an assertion that one knows that there is no god(s).

See above.

> There is a conceptual category of people who feel certain in their belief
> that specific gods don't exist other than as story characters.

That's a mild form of strong atheism according to the definition.

>You almost
> certainly fit within that category regards Zeus and Apollo, probably Baal
> and for that matter certain people's conception of the christian god.

There's plenty to complain about a lot of conceptions of the Christian God.
I bought the book _Your_God_Is_Too_Small_ fifty years ago, and I warmly
recommend it to others.

Remainder deleted, to be replied to later -- hopefully today.
I regret to say that what you wrote there is of the same pejorative
sort as the above, and I am not amused by it either.

Peter Nyikos

Re: Hard Atheism of John Harshman Contrasted with Agnosticism of Peter Nyikos

<3cfa521c-8055-44e2-964e-5b9fd05c47c1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7599&group=talk.origins#7599

From: nando_ro...@live.nl (Nando Ronteltap)
Newsgroups: talk.origins
Peter Nyikos
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 08:19:00 -0800 (PST)
Sender: to%beagle.ediacara.org
To: talk-origins@moderators.isc.org
d=1e100.net; s=20230601; t=1704903541; x=1705508341;
h=content-transfer-encoding:to:injection-date:from:subject:message-id
:mime-version:user-agent:references:nntp-posting-host:injection-info
:in-reply-to:date:newsgroups:path:x-gm-message-state:from:to:cc
:subject:date:message-id:reply-to;
bh=V/w1NojJP7EMXkutDJ9AG/ESRQtrSTyFf4vbrEIB/h8=;
b=kVqPundNJUOTpVJ4TgAAmNH52rCMi2Ekde9aZ0HZmp2j1vacoqwi6MkWSoPhjMe6iW
1uDRmxXyrxGdoLPGyduIki7hyv0Up514f6tMYV/oFJMAUkmg7j+FxZf+VGw8QiaBCmiS
Sjl34Pst2IJsmy4z6zOYws4Mh1TH6JSYqvR78MtrEZvfu8924flgqEyVRNIOoBnaS5c8
IFO6cTRyrbv4Wt85JkKW5SaaG0g9KCkZclL4yOWTkr5B0ZBHiCRoLRfU1Q3dHT0WUzYS
TyjLOQbixUfL+HrW67Cm70usoBSeDupWbiGaqvgw+V3shxcpFPaH5MX7pTJhrb7ODajc
Jk1A==
 by: Nando Ronteltap - Wed, 10 Jan 2024 16:19 UTC

This Sapolsky does enrage me, although I never heard of him before. Basically he's an enemy, that I am at war with. Probably he is a tyrant, a socialist piece of shit, a sexual pervert, a woke nutcase.

How come he doesn't address the judgment that universities are currently considered by most conservatives to be shitholes, in thinking about what bad consequences may come from denial of free will? He seems to be saying that basically everything is going alright with universities, while there is a mental illness epidemic at universities, and the reputation of academics in general, is taking a nosedive. The culture of free will denial, is mainly at the universities. The universities, academics, isn't going well.

It must be the case, that this piece of shit objectifies emotions and personal character, same as a nazi objectifies personal character with racial science. He objectifies love, he objectifies hate, he objectifies courage, he objectifies cowardice. Because he simply does not acknowledge the entire subjective part of reality, which is the part of it that chooses. He would maybe be more sophisticated about it than a nazi, but then it seems many of those nazis were also very sophisticated about their objectification of personal character.

Op woensdag 10 januari 2024 om 10:37:35 UTC+1 schreef Lawyer Daggett:
> On Tuesday, January 9, 2024 at 7:42:35 PM UTC-5, peter2...@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Friday, January 5, 2024 at 6:17:30 PM UTC-5, mohammad...@gmail.com wrote:
> >
> > > Just entertaining uncertainty is not sufficient for honesty. You should also consider the judgment that you are stupid.
> > Whose judgment, and why?
> >
> > I think I'm beginning to understand where you are coming from, Nando. There seems to be an imperfect translation
> > into English that kept me from understanding before. "Subjective" and "objective" are understood very differently
> > in everyday English than are the philosophical concepts "subject" and "object" that are devilishly difficult to convey to materialists.
> >
> > I am a conscious person with a personal identity that persists through decades: a SUBJECT.
> > The table on which my laptop is resting is a mere physical OBJECT.
> While the notion of having some profound insight into what Nando is saying entertains, and in ways I think
> we have a matched set, I'm just here to drop something off that will enrage both so as to better foster
> their mutual admiration.
>
> https://www.newscientist.com/article/2398369-why-free-will-doesnt-exist-according-to-robert-sapolsky/

Re: Hard Atheism of John Harshman Contrasted with Agnosticism of Peter Nyikos

<822d7353-8e5c-45fc-a2be-bfe1ce50b214n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7634&group=talk.origins#7634

From: abnerinf...@gmail.com (Abner)
Newsgroups: talk.origins
Peter Nyikos
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 06:21:03 -0800 (PST)
Sender: to%beagle.ediacara.org
To: talk-origins@moderators.isc.org
d=1e100.net; s=20230601; t=1704982864; x=1705587664;
h=content-transfer-encoding:to:injection-date:from:subject:message-id
:mime-version:user-agent:references:nntp-posting-host:injection-info
:in-reply-to:date:newsgroups:path:x-gm-message-state:from:to:cc
:subject:date:message-id:reply-to;
bh=WlyaBneR2Uo/bAHaxqi/D/WuHW38x4NdSrqAzvvhl9o=;
b=wkLIPy5fYUp8uT9PtUng8Vr7sCQgKCgLYVhwi3/J3m9S06waadTlpYKTv1Lnd8pU0s
fFa1L1foUQAhn7xjcyzRgUbmf/d5Y6Vi3ZWyahLHOIYsZuOWN1DcfunYGACYgzxbOAPb
uIMyK2thTFfY1Art/0s/AmQIHdfayoXj+wvLRV8lY81/mgnPeWKdCnnv5Y1EY8rKffK7
Ilec0MwFgjAqQ9BH7o1iib8LVGVtjFrO/GhOjJDyPgmnmTPxIARekvvSGw16vCTPInGa
b8P5eM7b4TIC7vlttiwuKtEfAmHi1V/igQ071ynVDKqNR/29T5It/vZTH9yvzOy17hNB
r1ww==
 by: Abner - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 14:21 UTC

I'm actually looking forward to seeing Peter's response to Nando's rejection of Peter's reinterpretation of Nando's screed. I think it will say a lot about where Peter really stands. Will he reject academia and join Nando's attack on it to gain Nando's approval? Will he reject Nando's beliefs now that they have been reaffirmed as not being what Peter was hoping? Will he continue to reinterpret Nando's beliefs as something more reasonable? Will he drop the thread entirely? I have to admit that I really can't predict the outcome on this one. It will be interesting to see what Peter does!

(Nando, alas, became predictably boring ages ago.)

Re: Hard Atheism of John Harshman Contrasted with Agnosticism of Peter Nyikos

<0b1b14ee-aacf-4de5-86cb-fef112c5ad64@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7636&group=talk.origins#7636

From: eastside...@gmail.com (erik simpson)
Newsgroups: talk.origins
Peter Nyikos
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 08:33:42 -0800
Sender: to%beagle.ediacara.org
To: talk-origins@moderators.isc.org
d=gmail.com; s=20230601; t=1704990824; x=1705595624; darn=moderators.isc.org;
h=content-transfer-encoding:in-reply-to:from:content-language
:references:newsgroups:to:subject:user-agent:mime-version:date
:message-id:from:to:cc:subject:date:message-id:reply-to;
bh=lvmEdM8VrHuqWtxYwqx2E3T9hoRFsxp6HOOiKhTTYo0=;
b=GfoZ44DFil3l56M/roZwoCrYEJjeYS1SZP41qsPobDknVgUwbY8C02o9Iqx06B8iWC
W5f2bELVwHXm0EeyKVwtPIzx/saDjlv20VgDYjwOPDniT/DG0gbLjJ2bv093in1X+2sp
zSqPhBO1Tgr2OWB4wJUQHn8J6MdjSchbt6PeXzyLrlwtMnImORO16ucCSR3ERH45qBix
Q9vnTT0bMDPFlQOqmUVvM7uEEdP9xW+oOk+ylLzvz4cMWsN/F34RbB/rm2NkEAvgpn2x
PIG+53yCewO4UbEvAXw2UhX6+5afzu6bsH3F6wNmGFE2B7LzTsZHl7oqCEGbiBn5qI3g
qrXQ==
d=1e100.net; s=20230601; t=1704990824; x=1705595624;
h=content-transfer-encoding:in-reply-to:from:content-language
:references:newsgroups:to:subject:user-agent:mime-version:date
:message-id:x-gm-message-state:from:to:cc:subject:date:message-id
:reply-to;
bh=lvmEdM8VrHuqWtxYwqx2E3T9hoRFsxp6HOOiKhTTYo0=;
b=FximcHBENb4yEm0Kvi96hKQMDAhvbWILak0VbKy3U4HJ1hqSg/CSFSfOR54lo53DtU
IZmNRALtn6bcHi4LlSIpbmnRndBWnIKoy6bhqzZB4SrxfaMyfRtTQL+RpWsMoWvIpGFw
wCN06q9TvwPQXK19kvZHmnmsHNDqj2yg2yrJsim9hZIjbJhEVMXH5gNSYpTRTYcUqjkM
ZEvhinCFRx9CZDRRlcBUU5qlQHDivIhDiIYF7gSuJWxaPDD58phwypIEEAkcpEzEDeYA
1Qke9Oy8LuzIQl745LlJum7Ivic4PSkCMqbXFop1sOawGV8qVULSDh0haX6iRVxE8C54
8Iyg==
 by: erik simpson - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 16:33 UTC

On 1/11/24 6:21 AM, Abner wrote:
> I'm actually looking forward to seeing Peter's response to Nando's rejection of Peter's reinterpretation of Nando's screed. I think it will say a lot about where Peter really stands. Will he reject academia and join Nando's attack on it to gain Nando's approval? Will he reject Nando's beliefs now that they have been reaffirmed as not being what Peter was hoping? Will he continue to reinterpret Nando's beliefs as something more reasonable? Will he drop the thread entirely? I have to admit that I really can't predict the outcome on this one. It will be interesting to see what Peter does!
>
> (Nando, alas, became predictably boring ages ago.)

I suspect Peter will come to conclusion that most of us arrived at long
ago: Nando is a nutter who speaks no known language. Peter has often
claimed he "suffers fools gladly", but there's a limit to that suffering.

Re: Hard Atheism of John Harshman Contrasted with Agnosticism of Peter Nyikos

<8966ea0e-b5f0-44c2-b861-b69258576d68n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7637&group=talk.origins#7637

From: nando_ro...@live.nl (Nando Ronteltap)
Newsgroups: talk.origins
Peter Nyikos
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 11:05:30 -0800 (PST)
Sender: to%beagle.ediacara.org
To: talk-origins@moderators.isc.org
id 83F18229786; Thu, 11 Jan 2024 14:03:23 -0500 (EST)
by beagle.ediacara.org (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 185F2229767
for <talk-origins@ediacara.org>; Thu, 11 Jan 2024 14:03:21 -0500 (EST)
by moderators.individual.net (Exim 4.97)
for talk-origins@moderators.isc.org with esmtps (TLS1.3)
tls TLS_AES_128_GCM_SHA256
(envelope-from <news@google.com>)
id 1rO0NC-00000000t1i-2Bi3; Thu, 11 Jan 2024 20:05:50 +0100
for <talk-origins@moderators.isc.org>; Thu, 11 Jan 2024 11:05:31 -0800 (PST)
d=1e100.net; s=20230601; t=1704999930; x=1705604730;
h=content-transfer-encoding:to:injection-date:from:subject:message-id
:mime-version:user-agent:references:nntp-posting-host:injection-info
:in-reply-to:date:newsgroups:path:x-gm-message-state:from:to:cc
:subject:date:message-id:reply-to;
bh=cRzT96nLN3n0dBNVYJGSqPLZX3cnaAiGHQCFgsAE3KM=;
b=DJe9PnNxILe48naN02mqQhcRbe0zi39OsPvYRk1/hFjGb5AuKT0N5COXa7qWh+RfHL
Bj5j949MVXozC3UnvJiMEg7khQSm9LdGTFnyMaA7VEFWeFiHLDykWEKk4iIXzMiz1zdp
D+9cpvb0smq+0OffhYfHEWhbyP+uMgXFsHZKQne8Pq807PhW7gQ6yjqV2K5Y9ETEvXHC
Cb/BVCtje1w/8N7lx76nw13rrchlYtGWjmea+p7vtSuDzOC4Yc+QJPamoCUibJvsvFEi
vLGWVmF3hqdKqhNfg+HCWPBXWDCJs+mRvek1PNrJAlpn0N/beSQ8rkAlEMOg+HHleu6x
jf6g==
 by: Nando Ronteltap - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 19:05 UTC

This just shows that it is not about argumentation about how subjectivity works, because you don't provide any whatsoever.

You are just psychologically stuck in this mode of conceiving of choosing in terms of figuring out the best option.

Op donderdag 11 januari 2024 om 17:37:37 UTC+1 schreef erik simpson:
> On 1/11/24 6:21 AM, Abner wrote:
> > I'm actually looking forward to seeing Peter's response to Nando's rejection of Peter's reinterpretation of Nando's screed. I think it will say a lot about where Peter really stands. Will he reject academia and join Nando's attack on it to gain Nando's approval? Will he reject Nando's beliefs now that they have been reaffirmed as not being what Peter was hoping? Will he continue to reinterpret Nando's beliefs as something more reasonable? Will he drop the thread entirely? I have to admit that I really can't predict the outcome on this one. It will be interesting to see what Peter does!
> >
> > (Nando, alas, became predictably boring ages ago.)
> >
> I suspect Peter will come to conclusion that most of us arrived at long
> ago: Nando is a nutter who speaks no known language. Peter has often
> claimed he "suffers fools gladly", but there's a limit to that suffering.

Re: Hard Atheism of John Harshman Contrasted with Agnosticism of Peter Nyikos

<dfd39b09-db92-42b4-b764-b8a4ec15c881n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7644&group=talk.origins#7644

From: peter2ny...@gmail.com (peter2...@gmail.com)
Newsgroups: talk.origins
Peter Nyikos
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 19:05:36 -0800 (PST)
Sender: to%beagle.ediacara.org
To: talk-origins@moderators.isc.org
d=1e100.net; s=20230601; t=1705028737; x=1705633537;
h=content-transfer-encoding:to:injection-date:from:subject:message-id
:mime-version:user-agent:references:nntp-posting-host:injection-info
:in-reply-to:date:newsgroups:path:x-gm-message-state:from:to:cc
:subject:date:message-id:reply-to;
bh=8DhnsVbjnWT7+rzL3rz3ee7Jv/D7AL0LG8fvlMn/TjE=;
b=m9ZVTmg4TFOOa2e6g3f+lF5IMUXrH9lyhn/Om69SVB/dnlGk3wzSYjK8e7xTWOJx2g
G/bdnhWXEoRjhvVWpMSd9WyrNuq0flM5vlEqCXMFzXn06yjhmg9IkTijriJe1DMW1F5U
81kTAWhfIN4xRmtWkoWF3WKBEp0xDGRc2o32grf3HQWRQ37at54UAyWwxZ832uUXnnYP
IR3k2chqzhr2tjwih1EFRyKYHNMXn+by84R3vMT/k5xEH51ip87DL86tEaaFw7XxvtAe
DbSppby7brFfsUvJUiJBC0PbaOtDb/BB5+C+FI5ZUAgEdPzXjCgYOdkCGoT9K2E0Uu9v
X6fA==
 by: peter2...@gmail.com - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 03:05 UTC

On Thursday, January 11, 2024 at 9:22:36 AM UTC-5, Abner wrote
> I'm actually looking forward to seeing Peter's response to Nando's rejection of Peter's reinterpretation of Nando's screed.

I don't see much point to continuing to talk to someone who is not
interested in actual meeting of minds. He doesn't even make it clear whom
he is talking to., and he keeps nothing of what others are saying to him.

He reminds me of another Dutch speaker, Mark Verhaegan, who is only
interested in advertising his own pet theories. For a while he seemed
to have some interesting things to say in sci.bio.paleontology and, a
bit later, here in talk.origins. But after a while it got to be a one-way street
where he no longer responded in a meaningful way to others' criticisms,
but kept peddling the same old articles of his, mostly in obscure journals.

> I think it will say a lot about where Peter really stands. Will he reject academia and join Nando's attack on it to gain Nando's approval?

Perish the thought. I care not for the approval of someone who is
only interested in peddling his ideas.

> Will he reject Nando's beliefs now that they have been reaffirmed as not being what Peter was hoping?

I wasn't hoping for anything in particular, just a 2-way hashing out of issues.

> Will he continue to reinterpret Nando's beliefs as something more reasonable? Will he drop the thread entirely? I have to admit that I really can't predict the outcome on this one. It will be interesting to see what Peter does!

But are you interested in issues like OOL or evolution or ID or creationism?

> (Nando, alas, became predictably boring ages ago.)

Are you just another kibitzer, like "Kerr-Mudd, John"?

Peter Nyikos

Re: Hard Atheism of John Harshman Contrasted with Agnosticism of Peter Nyikos

<412a6263-d1d3-4bd4-82b5-202351ee6210n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7645&group=talk.origins#7645

From: nando_ro...@live.nl (Nando Ronteltap)
Newsgroups: talk.origins
Peter Nyikos
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 19:24:09 -0800 (PST)
Sender: to%beagle.ediacara.org
To: talk-origins@moderators.isc.org
d=1e100.net; s=20230601; t=1705029849; x=1705634649;
h=content-transfer-encoding:to:injection-date:from:subject:message-id
:mime-version:user-agent:references:nntp-posting-host:injection-info
:in-reply-to:date:newsgroups:path:x-gm-message-state:from:to:cc
:subject:date:message-id:reply-to;
bh=aVAtZ9UhGS0qidCvduR2MRFi083VyZPbtHixtX7AmKQ=;
b=vPlYhtRS+eIMQ7uhatjLOJ5MP62taAutzNvEODd0eMEZoGBvs/iOv11KdDrjRaJvRn
KxL4Oc8M2SoHyssQW/L9Y016FfDUznwfSkwg+CscWYfXlhjCyh202tWwAaPWruo4dIoO
hMU2yn1HG//IKNLpPWXAFSO9ewFH6X5NYmoJNFYkGba04c+nyNOJqICaf16UqqMbRFT4
oheUZOx42Kol8rPOjU391nzzXcFS281FFayMzEGuTRPtse/90sXDkORTiP2yiuC5Dd2L
LBs5Eu1NmgmQ5pyCqYqhmEjHhvie5Tk0+g62Rmh/RHfKSNVEu53Xvlc8X2zVqfqUGrPK
4frw==
 by: Nando Ronteltap - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 03:24 UTC

Creationism is like E=mc2, or F=ma. It is a logically integrated conceptual scheme, and any deviation from it, is error. There is no trading of ideas and meeting somewhere in the middle, it is either creationism, or it is wrong.

You're just another intellectual fraud, and your atheism, agnosticism, whatever, it is all just about failing to accept the reality of any of what is completely subjective, and not really about God. You neither accept ordinary human emotions, as you also don't accept God, for the selfsame reason that they are not objective.

And then you are stuck in this mode of conceiving of choosing in terms of figuring out what is best. Which is why you conceive of a designer, rather than a creator, because the idea of choosing in terms of what is best, fits a designer.

Op vrijdag 12 januari 2024 om 04:07:36 UTC+1 schreef peter2...@gmail.com:
> On Thursday, January 11, 2024 at 9:22:36 AM UTC-5, Abner wrote
> > I'm actually looking forward to seeing Peter's response to Nando's rejection of Peter's reinterpretation of Nando's screed.
> I don't see much point to continuing to talk to someone who is not
> interested in actual meeting of minds. He doesn't even make it clear whom
> he is talking to., and he keeps nothing of what others are saying to him.
>
> He reminds me of another Dutch speaker, Mark Verhaegan, who is only
> interested in advertising his own pet theories. For a while he seemed
> to have some interesting things to say in sci.bio.paleontology and, a
> bit later, here in talk.origins. But after a while it got to be a one-way street
> where he no longer responded in a meaningful way to others' criticisms,
> but kept peddling the same old articles of his, mostly in obscure journals.
> > I think it will say a lot about where Peter really stands. Will he reject academia and join Nando's attack on it to gain Nando's approval?
> Perish the thought. I care not for the approval of someone who is
> only interested in peddling his ideas.
> > Will he reject Nando's beliefs now that they have been reaffirmed as not being what Peter was hoping?
> I wasn't hoping for anything in particular, just a 2-way hashing out of issues.
> > Will he continue to reinterpret Nando's beliefs as something more reasonable? Will he drop the thread entirely? I have to admit that I really can't predict the outcome on this one. It will be interesting to see what Peter does!
> But are you interested in issues like OOL or evolution or ID or creationism?
> >
> > (Nando, alas, became predictably boring ages ago.)
> Are you just another kibitzer, like "Kerr-Mudd, John"?
>

> Peter Nyikos

Re: Hard Atheism of John Harshman Contrasted with Agnosticism of Peter Nyikos

<689a9c34-ddd4-4438-83d4-c3d3759cfa99n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7648&group=talk.origins#7648

From: abnerinf...@gmail.com (Abner)
Newsgroups: talk.origins
Peter Nyikos
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 23:36:42 -0800 (PST)
Sender: to%beagle.ediacara.org
To: talk-origins@moderators.isc.org
d=1e100.net; s=20230601; t=1705045003; x=1705649803;
h=to:injection-date:from:subject:message-id:mime-version:user-agent
:references:nntp-posting-host:injection-info:in-reply-to:date
:newsgroups:path:x-gm-message-state:from:to:cc:subject:date
:message-id:reply-to;
bh=/Mr5wYP3u77cm7eeRHYWDAhxeTpoIwEs6kk/Pmh2kyI=;
b=dgX5nFeioCDgaHHqFo9koeumPYrhU7Gh0zC9WGLThwpMbWQFBjDM8aM6dWUGJWEHxg
caD49EMo4l4IPvY8LvyAnvo5tRBJYFQoHaFG+oge/8htcfimvUc0IS14ADqVvW0AfWRJ
gDQhG4vjnO2h/ZTlj8x9P1bU1MUj0wYKrlPVNvpE1Vu4ma3m9ScMZBFinVSgH/f2DsoX
N7mrLhdfckuLkpwGkwKRnk0MHRIXOkOYSgVqzPx++ZbD7XAANXqaXloFNW/xhkuFBXUo
Y9/A3qSs3dp+twmv+i9qKY27VAmzFHMODDUXIJ68yTOc1Vr9IXTaVS+Vk3uISPb9RYLM
FPVQ==
 by: Abner - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 07:36 UTC

Abner wrote

Peter wrote:
> I don't see much point to continuing to talk to someone who is not
> interested in actual meeting of minds. He doesn't even make it clear whom
> he is talking to., and he keeps nothing of what others are saying to him.

Pretty much. Nando has some weird idea that everyone who disagrees with
his weird belief system must subscribe to a different but equally weird belief
system that is, oddly enough, an integrated part of his belief system. It's almost
manchaeism in its ability to divide the world into two parts and ignore whatever
you say that doesn't fit into the views that Nando has assigned to you.

> > I think it will say a lot about where Peter really stands. Will he reject
>> academia and join Nando's attack on it to gain Nando's approval?

> Perish the thought. I care not for the approval of someone who is
> only interested in peddling his ideas.

Glad to hear it, though it would have been really interesting to watch!
I've seen similar events before, alas.

> > Will he reject Nando's beliefs now that they have been reaffirmed
>> as not being what Peter was hoping?

> I wasn't hoping for anything in particular, just a 2-way hashing out of issues.

I don't think Nando has any interest in that anymore. It's become a lot
easier for him to create an echo chamber where he can assign beliefs
to you instead.

> But are you interested in issues like OOL or evolution or ID or
> creationism?

Oh, I am, but it generally has to be new and the other person has to
have interesting things to discuss. One of the side-effects of having
read through these issues for decades is that I very rarely run into
anything new and interesting anymore. I skim here just in case something
interesting shows up. Nando was, for a while, one of the rare sources
of new ideas here, but then he went on mental repeat and became
boring. The same thing happened with RonO, alas. At this point most
of the stuff here that is new isn't on-topic and almost all the stuff here
that is on-topic isn't new.

I am considering that when google.groups stops working, I will just quietly
leave rather than find a replacement way into talk.origins. It may not be
worth the effort anymore.

Re: Hard Atheism of John Harshman Contrasted with Agnosticism of Peter Nyikos

<6e9923ad-3ad6-4fbe-b476-80cbeb37f6dan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7653&group=talk.origins#7653

From: nando_ro...@live.nl (Nando Ronteltap)
Newsgroups: talk.origins
Peter Nyikos
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 06:21:03 -0800 (PST)
Sender: to%beagle.ediacara.org
To: talk-origins@moderators.isc.org
d=1e100.net; s=20230601; t=1705069264; x=1705674064;
h=content-transfer-encoding:to:injection-date:from:subject:message-id
:mime-version:user-agent:references:nntp-posting-host:injection-info
:in-reply-to:date:newsgroups:path:x-gm-message-state:from:to:cc
:subject:date:message-id:reply-to;
bh=MTHS0hoDF5hTbE7YUWVx9y0sYXq6Ln9u/4Y2Co211+c=;
b=mwoq6C5Pu0vd052qJhTXKFTZ5uUKs7MFxvZErpaOzUjVPAMYJcWclwtGQ4GY+t+6aK
AspU3ByFx2cFVL6bfVguayt/lmrSye8kKVrJD4OWjRg//6PdWCwHHA1kxmZkKxCMUraE
/16Vw4RksLod2wV2qe5F94gGKBe5Z7fx7UQWb//5aJhegturpAPlfwalTXraGTnfOvRu
Af4E1nLdFZm+Y3Wq6oBKQ5gimek28BuhJHyH3CspoD4LvXSNvui5/fA1u4E/DmhQhOmU
VRs2LnwoK+qLhjaFcVEbEIfPoOTAgScz1NRSq3xVHYBocU+F1LRmYVvlbRQT5QSMlwdM
VF0w==
 by: Nando Ronteltap - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 14:21 UTC

You don't have to worry about what you're going to do, because you're soon going to die from covid.

All the interesting stuff is locked up under the precondition that academics accepts creationism. You cannot really do good science without comprehension of subjectivity, because you need to have a good judgment, about what is good science.

Now instead we have bad science, with the covid catastrope, which will soon lead to the death of most of you, because I assume most all of you are vaccinated, and most of your family and friends.

That prediction is again good science. It predicts correctly that the new variants are evolving in other parts than the spike protein region. And the next step in this so far correct model of sequence of events, is highly virulent variants, causing mass death.

This catastrophe would have been prevented, if people simply learned how subjectivity functions, same as the holocaust would have been prevented by people learning the same. The absolute refusal to learn about it, the vicious systematic rejection of human emotion, the rejection of reasoning, must result in catastrophe.

Op vrijdag 12 januari 2024 om 08:37:36 UTC+1 schreef Abner:
> Abner wrote
> >> I'm actually looking forward to seeing Peter's response to Nando's rejection
> >> of Peter's reinterpretation of Nando's screed.
> Peter wrote:
> > I don't see much point to continuing to talk to someone who is not
> > interested in actual meeting of minds. He doesn't even make it clear whom
> > he is talking to., and he keeps nothing of what others are saying to him.
> Pretty much. Nando has some weird idea that everyone who disagrees with
> his weird belief system must subscribe to a different but equally weird belief
> system that is, oddly enough, an integrated part of his belief system. It's almost
> manchaeism in its ability to divide the world into two parts and ignore whatever
> you say that doesn't fit into the views that Nando has assigned to you.
> > > I think it will say a lot about where Peter really stands. Will he reject
> >> academia and join Nando's attack on it to gain Nando's approval?
>
> > Perish the thought. I care not for the approval of someone who is
> > only interested in peddling his ideas.
> Glad to hear it, though it would have been really interesting to watch!
> I've seen similar events before, alas.
> > > Will he reject Nando's beliefs now that they have been reaffirmed
> >> as not being what Peter was hoping?
>
> > I wasn't hoping for anything in particular, just a 2-way hashing out of issues.
> I don't think Nando has any interest in that anymore. It's become a lot
> easier for him to create an echo chamber where he can assign beliefs
> to you instead.
> > But are you interested in issues like OOL or evolution or ID or
> > creationism?
> Oh, I am, but it generally has to be new and the other person has to
> have interesting things to discuss. One of the side-effects of having
> read through these issues for decades is that I very rarely run into
> anything new and interesting anymore. I skim here just in case something
> interesting shows up. Nando was, for a while, one of the rare sources
> of new ideas here, but then he went on mental repeat and became
> boring. The same thing happened with RonO, alas. At this point most
> of the stuff here that is new isn't on-topic and almost all the stuff here
> that is on-topic isn't new.
>
> I am considering that when google.groups stops working, I will just quietly
> leave rather than find a replacement way into talk.origins. It may not be
> worth the effort anymore.

Re: Hard Atheism of John Harshman Contrasted with Agnosticism of Peter Nyikos

<a35cdd59-b721-45b6-9b02-bcea0b076501n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7712&group=talk.origins#7712

From: peter2ny...@gmail.com (peter2...@gmail.com)
Newsgroups: talk.origins
Peter Nyikos
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 18:38:42 -0800 (PST)
Sender: to%beagle.ediacara.org
To: talk-origins@moderators.isc.org
id 374902299F1; Mon, 15 Jan 2024 21:36:34 -0500 (EST)
by beagle.ediacara.org (Postfix) with ESMTPS id D577B229767
for <talk-origins@ediacara.org>; Mon, 15 Jan 2024 21:36:31 -0500 (EST)
by moderators.individual.net (Exim 4.97)
for talk-origins@moderators.isc.org with esmtps (TLS1.3)
tls TLS_AES_128_GCM_SHA256
(envelope-from <news@google.com>)
id 1rPZM0-000000040iu-49IS; Tue, 16 Jan 2024 03:39:05 +0100
for <talk-origins@moderators.isc.org>; Mon, 15 Jan 2024 18:38:44 -0800 (PST)
d=1e100.net; s=20230601; t=1705372723; x=1705977523;
h=content-transfer-encoding:to:injection-date:from:subject:message-id
:mime-version:user-agent:references:nntp-posting-host:injection-info
:in-reply-to:date:newsgroups:path:x-gm-message-state:from:to:cc
:subject:date:message-id:reply-to;
bh=hlSyS0xqwzfMulhRPgGJZ0wNal6mSam6IW3rVC1FGLU=;
b=R4IfjcmZMUXkRLZldCrd3f3TbHC2zi6xuEHz8Bkc2bEDFG1iabo8cZcM5dX/0fzUSa
Vlez6YyxJw+M1lAyMTFiCyY3ewjNwAxRt+zTWPm5lbuK8/z6/aql+aH9Z6B+240kdPhs
n3L/6UsYkFOCtVJvDxbDFbSOf1yt/2GXddTbDv1Sy6uZOvgHhERJaRvTarxHGCvJcsar
6gCeuHG2R7lgwQlf42WKaPKB1a1kzPzYtBMULlat+gBroZYUHdCS1zNhnhtNUOhMfikz
EERgBBXlbbx+QyD9+iq82/sbXR8my+NQjXF5zLu9mkwso+EeVijhcQys5K22xTIK1z1v
54Fg==
 by: peter2...@gmail.com - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 02:38 UTC

On Friday, January 12, 2024 at 2:37:36 AM UTC-5, Abner wrote:

> > Abner wrote
> >> I'm actually looking forward to seeing Peter's response to Nando's rejection
> >> of Peter's reinterpretation of Nando's screed.

> Peter wrote:
> > I don't see much point to continuing to talk to someone who is not
> > interested in actual meeting of minds. He doesn't even make it clear whom
> > he is talking to., and he keeps nothing of what others are saying to him.

I was mistaken here: I had overlooked the attribution line that Nando's software produces
at the beginning of his posts, in Dutch. Since Nando is a 100% top-poster on this thread,
this line then comes at the end of his spiel. I also overlooked the three dots
that Google Groups put in at the end. Clicking on in for quoted text which,
in Nando's case, he often completely ignores.

> Pretty much. Nando has some weird idea that everyone who disagrees with
> his weird belief system must subscribe to a different but equally weird belief
> system that is, oddly enough, an integrated part of his belief system. It's almost
> manchaeism in its ability to divide the world into two parts and ignore whatever
> you say that doesn't fit into the views that Nando has assigned to you.

He has a totally fictitious idea of where I am coming from in both of his replies to me.
Where he got it is apparently a secret that at most one human being knows about.
I say "at most one" because he may have no idea of where he got it either.

[...]

> > But are you interested in issues like OOL or evolution or ID or
> > creationism?

> Oh, I am, but it generally has to be new and the other person has to
> have interesting things to discuss.

I've been discussing fine tuning with Öö Tiib on the thread,
Re: Re-Riposte to Fine Tuning - to keep the old one from exceeding 1000 posts

but at the moment he seems more interested in possible life on exoplanets.
I'll make some time either tomorrow or the day after to his latest post there:

https://groups.google.com/g/talk.origins/c/q-BiBJubH9w/m/sHtqJBACAQAJ
Jan 13, 2024, 9:22:38 AM

There is enough on first sight to get a good picture of how we are handling the topic.
If you click on the three dots at the top that Google puts in for earlier text,
you will see much more, including some things about fine tuning.

> One of the side-effects of having
> read through these issues for decades is that I very rarely run into
> anything new and interesting anymore.

I hope you find some of the linked post both new and interesting.

Over on this thread, my Jan 9, 2024, 10:22:34 PM reply to Erik Simpson
goes deeper into fine tuning than in the reply to Öö Tiib on the other thread,
with some concrete data that may be new (and interesting) to you.

I'll also tackle some other posts on these two threads tomorrow and Wednesday.

[...]

> I am considering that when google.groups stops working, I will just quietly
> leave rather than find a replacement way into talk.origins. It may not be
> worth the effort anymore.

I am also interested in sci.bio.paleontology [I plan do a post or two there tonight]
and a few other groups, so I do plan to be around one way or the other.
Two comparisons come to mind as to why I keep participating in t.o.

A bear, willing to put up with a lot of bee stings to get at some honey.

A gold mine, where you have to process a ton of ore to get an
ounce or two of gold.

I've gotten a lot of "gold and honey" from being challenged
and responding to challenges here, in my close to a total of two
decades of participation, on and off.

Peter Nyikos
Professor, Dept. of Mathematics
Univ. of South Carolina -- standard disclaimer--