From: rokim...@cox.net (RonO)
Newsgroups: talk.origins
Subject: Previous interglacial ice melt
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 09:30:31 -0600
Sender: to%beagle.ediacara.org
To: talk-origins@moderators.isc.org
 by: RonO - Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:30 UTC

https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/21/world/octopus-dna-west-antarctic-ice-sheet-climate-scn/index.html

CNN has an article about how arctic octopus lend evidence to what has
been claimed about more ice melting during the last interglacial. Wiki
has up that the earth was warmer and more ice melted during the last
interglacial than now. Sea levels did rise to 20 meters higher than
they are now, and those islands and low lying countries did flood the
last interglacial.

These octopi are separated by the large antarctic ice sheet, but when
more ice melted last time the ice sheet disappeared and the two
populations were able to get together and produce hybrids. They looked
at how the hybrid bits of DNA have recombined over the last hundred
thousand years to estimate that the hybrids were formed during the

What is screwy is that they are not using the information to wake people
up about how the same thing will happen in the current interglacial if
the global warming predictions hold out. Instead of crying about how
terrible things are going to be, we should be putting up substantial
efforts to figure out how life survived the last example. The extant
species obviously survived, but a lot of them likely didn't make it
through with viable population genetics. A lot of the ice age mega
fauna went extinct during the beginning of this interglacial period.
The last woolly rhino paper that I put up had genetic evidence that the
population did not recover after the last interglacial period and
remained an inbred population even after their population recovered to
over 100,000 individuals when the glaciers returned. It looks like not
enough animals survived the last interglacial to create a viable
population that could survive another.

We need to help the existing species most affected by global warming
have large enough populations so that purging deleterious genetics can
be accomplished. We know how this seems to have worked in the past. A
species exists as a large number of sub populations. The whole species
population doesn't evolve into a future, but just bits of it make it and
the rest seem to go extinct. You keep hearing about over 90% of the
species that have ever existed are extinct, and it makes it likely that
just a small fraction of 1% of the sub populations that have ever
existed evolved into new species or kept the old lineage going until new
species could evolve. Most populations are likely not genetically
healthy in that you might have to be pretty lucky to purge by founder
effects enough of the deleterious load to be the survivor of something
like the population reduction of the interglacials. If there are no
lottery winners the population goes extinct.

I've seen the current conservation efforts focusing on maintaining
genetic diversity to the point of mixing sub populations. This is a
stupid thing to do. Those subpopulations are adapted to their local
environment, and they have a deleterious load that they are managing to
cope with. Mixing populations could make a less fit population for
their environment, and also adds new deleterious variants into both
populations. All you have to do is look at the recombinant inbred
genetic mapping populations to understand that this is not a good thing
to do. What they did was interbreed 2 or more highly inbred lines, and
then backcross to each line, and full sib mate until you had 12.5% of
one genetic background dispersed into the other. You could produce
around 20 such lines and cover the entire genome of one line in 12%
portions. What they found was that even though the parent lines
survived and may have even produced more pups per litter than wild-type,
when they made the intercross many of the recombinant inbred lines
failed. A lot of them would have died out, but they would have to
increase the breeding population and start only mating cousins instead
of full-sib matings. Such lines never became as inbred as their parent
lines. There were obviously deleterious genetics in both lines, but
they were survivable as homozygous alleles in each line, but different
combinations of these deleterious alleles were lethal, and these
combinations were created among the inbred hybrids.

The same thing will occur if you start mixing genetically isolated
populations.

What conservation efforts should likely be focusing on is increasing
population sizes and identification of deleterious variants, and working
on removing them from the populations so that they do not become an
issue. We even have the technology to fix genetic defects once they are
identified. We know that there is a sperm trait in cheetahs that we
could fix and improve the reproductive capacity of that species. We
will soon have multiple genome sequences of all the endangered species,
and will have a better understanding of if they have a chance of making
it or not. Just using the human population should tell us a lot about
what variants are bad for existing protein genes.

Ron Okimoto

Re: Previous interglacial ice melt

<be05d5fa-01eb-403d-977a-3bc4a7773276@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7166&group=talk.origins#7166

From: eastside...@gmail.com (erik simpson)
Newsgroups: talk.origins
Subject: Re: Previous interglacial ice melt
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 08:58:56 -0800
Sender: to%beagle.ediacara.org
To: talk-origins@moderators.isc.org
d=gmail.com; s=20230601; t=1703350739; x=1703955539; darn=moderators.isc.org;
h=content-transfer-encoding:in-reply-to:from:references:newsgroups:to
:content-language:subject:user-agent:mime-version:date:message-id
:from:to:cc:subject:date:message-id:reply-to;
bh=MuTnL867KhK0r8eo2JaLwMN+i5nQvKkbsLvF3IpU22E=;
b=d0Qkm36A9NaTFDzuusJEIwFqaPRMmYnvEF0xFFAliqOc9bkUFEIxfgGq4z6vIHZEWo
bfUOebMOdool94Phx8X7+1tvv4fqf7jvYHH/8vn0RqxJKvfcDoEWeIne/5ucdrWSeO8q
jdV+sAlL1ry1lCbe1DjuVRqgv1O7BOmAebTCn+TqcY0v+e2xqj/vVUklp2tOUboCzkHL
dhcEYGJvsqJv7hlYpvVn2w071asI66pvvus/lbRsT2qumTWAOd8+AqZbhmutehK6vYZ5
wAsup/k3jdb47KbO57vX8keF7Qd4qL0ZLkJ5zoVnfKwfRm2xxEmXEC6rIC5Le5rm93Kl
3PEw==
d=1e100.net; s=20230601; t=1703350739; x=1703955539;
h=content-transfer-encoding:in-reply-to:from:references:newsgroups:to
:content-language:subject:user-agent:mime-version:date:message-id
:x-gm-message-state:from:to:cc:subject:date:message-id:reply-to;
bh=MuTnL867KhK0r8eo2JaLwMN+i5nQvKkbsLvF3IpU22E=;
b=w1W5ufSZpvPeo8tOdVNa8AfDZQEZhmNMs1j9iofmuYOA5PKBRMCW6GWAPVWC5cWot2
xF5pbVhUPLtymdo5o5GwhtkVA5tB8xXB7RIFZ+BRQRsWvDoCqICs3EQUGwe40cIzYAKl
GTz3QDWRE5KP43/+YQUMoeo79ygkTZUQJN+Z2awufJqlJrbLUpSNZKS7vu3SS4GXQ6bT
1EJegantIcdga8WTaZjyRUfUm7ojdi4GvLwcRozXH90dgMW7Q+GBmCV6LCXYhW0Ho4BC
hVYD/jftUwExzCSCcODX4crUHAddqiwSa1ZYfDjt3VydMHuLB+JWd57a0qK1OWEOImB+
s66g==
 by: erik simpson - Sat, 23 Dec 2023 16:58 UTC

On 12/23/23 7:30 AM, RonO wrote:
> [...]
> combinations were created among the inbred hybrids.
>
> The same thing will occur if you start mixing genetically isolated
> populations.
>
> What conservation efforts should likely be focusing on is increasing
> population sizes and identification of deleterious variants, and working
> on removing them from the populations so that they do not become an
> issue.  We even have the technology to fix genetic defects once they are
> identified.  We know that there is a sperm trait in cheetahs that we
> could fix and improve the reproductive capacity of that species.  We
> will soon have multiple genome sequences of all the endangered species,
> and will have a better understanding of if they have a chance of making
> it or not.  Just using the human population should tell us a lot about
> what variants are bad for existing protein genes.

A lot of current thinking is about trying to keep things the way they
are (or were). Paleontology clearly tells us that things never stay the
way they are. Single "popular" threatened species with low biodiversity
are indeed threatened and will probably be extinct sooner rather than
later. Climate change is a fact, and is a driver of evolution. There
is no "balance of nature", and ecologically-minded people have to
recognize that. It would be more (at least temporarily) confortable for
us if we didn't hasten the progress of climate change we don't want, but
we're going to have to deal with it. That some are considering
geo-engineering solutions is scary. What could go wrong? It might slow
warming, speed it up or make it colder. Ice ages are much more
uncomfortable than warming.

Re: Previous interglacial ice melt

<e1225b57-514a-4a60-8621-6c46987fe28bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7173&group=talk.origins#7173

From: wthyde1...@gmail.com (William Hyde)
Newsgroups: talk.origins
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 11:49:10 -0800 (PST)
Sender: to%beagle.ediacara.org
To: talk-origins@moderators.isc.org
d=1e100.net; s=20230601; t=1703360950; x=1703965750;
h=content-transfer-encoding:to:injection-date:from:subject:message-id
:mime-version:user-agent:references:nntp-posting-host:injection-info
:in-reply-to:date:newsgroups:path:x-gm-message-state:from:to:cc
:subject:date:message-id:reply-to;
bh=YVqGHqnvp6SuVYpYBC4FNlZlCv/aDSdEgAXug1KcPNw=;
b=BmU5E9bBzzjUa+9cVt5SltcUsmSQvNvIyuxQopB6TNu3pFR6eTbAjnrQSXfUItwPhS
QT1n48nGF/5sHJZChPEDhnUxp7uMhp1/UOtuoSXzWHDMb36tCnWgYIvcrLDqVzbgVCYF
STpqAvB3L0aIlRxMjXD/XwQiaJd21Ri1DsTXuwcU7eEt54X+SVbcBmkWPiNp4w9wwpvP
460Jo+g/sNSjNAbHgeNfRmres5iGfPP+axfdQBpcsDyXtxZ9+61VRD/L0tyQNRWYNDOl
2Hu6ga4X/4fRVedcie5lPAQDaY1h1Z2/SFeX1YYgV5bQeBAdy39sIap9l2gyWrqBdXiO
r+iA==
 by: William Hyde - Sat, 23 Dec 2023 19:49 UTC

On Saturday, December 23, 2023 at 12:02:18 PM UTC-5, erik simpson wrote:
> [...]
> > it or not. Just using the human population should tell us a lot about
> > what variants are bad for existing protein genes.
> >
> > Ron Okimoto
> >
> A lot of current thinking is about trying to keep things the way they
> are (or were). Paleontology clearly tells us that things never stay the
> way they are. Single "popular" threatened species with low biodiversity
> are indeed threatened and will probably be extinct sooner rather than
> later. Climate change is a fact, and is a driver of evolution. There
> is no "balance of nature", and ecologically-minded people have to
> recognize that. It would be more (at least temporarily) confortable for
> us if we didn't hasten the progress of climate change we don't want, but
> we're going to have to deal with it. That some are considering
> geo-engineering solutions is scary. What could go wrong?

The most popular such schemes involve intercepting sunlight before
it reaches the surface. There are several problems with this.

(1) Warming by CO2 and other greenhouse gases has a pattern, more in the
polar regions than tropics, more in winter than summer, more at night
than in the day. Diminishing solar input has a very different, almost
opposite, pattern. Their sum will not be no change, but different
change. Climate change cannot be summarized by one number,
the global average temperature change. This number can be zero,
and the Earth still subject to disastrous (for us) climate change.

(2) Further to this, cooling by stratospheric aerosols cannot be done
without weakening the monsoon circulation. Rainfall in both
India and China diminishes considerably in their prime agricultural
districts. As both are nuclear powers, I would not recommend living
either near or downwind of any aerosol launching facility.

Perhaps we could build a multi-trillion dollar series of
satellites and shades, by, say 2100, to manipulate sunlight in
such a way as to avoid the aforesaid problems. But if such
a system would ever fail, as it might in a time of war, very rapid
warming could result - how much depending on how high we
have let CO2 climb.

And it wouldn't address the next problem:

(3) Such methods do not address the growing acidification of the
ocean.

It might slow
> warming, speed it up or make it colder. Ice ages are much more
> uncomfortable than warming.

Geoengineering to prevent ice ages is much less difficult, it
being easier to add GHGs to the atmosphere than to take
them out.

William Hyde

Re: Previous interglacial ice melt

<34d1c41a-a352-456f-9228-b9cf5c524052n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7233&group=talk.origins#7233

From: jte...@gmail.com (JTEM is my hero)
Newsgroups: talk.origins
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2023 16:54:31 -0800 (PST)
Sender: to%beagle.ediacara.org
To: talk-origins@moderators.isc.org
id 5AD16229786; Mon, 25 Dec 2023 19:52:39 -0500 (EST)
by beagle.ediacara.org (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 1D9CE229767
for <talk-origins@ediacara.org>; Mon, 25 Dec 2023 19:52:37 -0500 (EST)
by moderators.individual.net (Exim 4.95)
for talk-origins@moderators.isc.org with esmtps (TLS1.3)
tls TLS_AES_128_GCM_SHA256
(envelope-from <news@google.com>)
id 1rHvid-002FLT-1h; Tue, 26 Dec 2023 01:54:51 +0100
for <talk-origins@moderators.isc.org>; Mon, 25 Dec 2023 16:54:32 -0800 (PST)
d=1e100.net; s=20230601; t=1703552072; x=1704156872;
h=to:injection-date:from:subject:message-id:mime-version:user-agent
:references:nntp-posting-host:injection-info:in-reply-to:date
:newsgroups:path:x-gm-message-state:from:to:cc:subject:date
:message-id:reply-to;
bh=G95LKGa/jP2dIF6/6W6HG8qPSwKUycT/X19O96E9k/M=;
b=nE129KKdhBTxjeOMfw04wEkYEhJb9UQzqAJcoXg6qtfKK/lgDbZ7tCC47xMPF7yS9O
wOQB5xR7r96EUBgWYdl9KIwTxAeRYyjpEkHcSWtPHpCzb3bYa3Bq1thmq4NhuiCiIfik
aNiu/uNF7DAR3pkJTE/MsM4FCqcPG6FMiAgOEbpVjSYbtqeGqGuZCKa254eN3NnsCP5Q
KyfhcH8AQrV+4r5tYmwevWIH7+PcpsQbR5LhzTGLxPl3ZW/Zte0QUzZzK+z2NIcQDkBM
eGdGDM083r6T6WyBU7RSKi0Uf7AognuqgNNgSBkUkBUH9kS3QC0tKYsh2yeOvIcWcZdC
baSQ==
 by: JTEM is my hero - Tue, 26 Dec 2023 00:54 UTC

RonO wrote:
> https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/21/world/octopus-dna-west-antarctic-ice-sheet-climate-scn/index.html
>
> CNN has an article about how arctic octopus lend evidence to what has
> been claimed about more ice melting during the last interglacial.

As always, you rejected your brain in favor of sucking the teat of the
mainstream media...

Wiki
> has up that the earth was warmer and more ice melted during the last
> interglacial than now. Sea levels did rise to 20 meters higher than
> they are now, and those islands and low lying countries did flood the
> last interglacial.
>
> These octopi are separated by the large antarctic ice sheet, but when
> more ice melted last time the ice sheet disappeared and the two
> populations were able to get together and produce hybrids. They looked
> at how the hybrid bits of DNA have recombined over the last hundred
> thousand years to estimate that the hybrids were formed during the
>
> What is screwy is that they are not using the information to wake people
> up about how the same thing will happen in the current interglacial if
> the global warming predictions hold out.

You are legitimately insane.

DNA is not random. You can't look at the present population and know
what their DNA looked like 125 thousand years ago. It never works that
way. It can't work that way.

> We need to help the existing species most affected by global warming

Gwobull Warbling is literally impossible.

Our present interglacial is overdue to end -- starting long before
industrialization -- and fossil fuels possess COOLING properties,
not warming. The pollution literally darkens the skies, shading
the planet, and all the sulfur emissions reduce the amount of the
sun's energy even reaching the earth.

Fossil fuels COOL, they can't warm.

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/737631335431241728

Re: Previous interglacial ice melt

<un94k9$57af$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7434&group=talk.origins#7434

From: funkmas...@hotmail.com (Zen Cycle)
Newsgroups: talk.origins
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 09:44:25 -0500
Sender: to%beagle.ediacara.org
To: talk-origins@moderators.isc.org
 by: Zen Cycle - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 14:44 UTC

On 12/25/2023 7:54 PM, JTEM is my hero wrote:

> Gwobull Warbling is literally impossible.

I agree, Gwobull warbling is literally impossible. The Gwobull, a
mollusk-like creature found only on the shores of the Xanxthian sea on
the planet Zrttxsx, is not known to be able to make any communicative
signals that would approximate a 'warble'.

> Our present interglacial is overdue to end -- starting long before
> industrialization -- and fossil fuels possess COOLING properties,
> not warming. The pollution literally darkens the skies, shading
> the planet, and all the sulfur emissions reduce the amount of the
> sun's energy even reaching the earth.

yeah...._that's_ how it works.....(◔_◔)

> Fossil fuels COOL, they can't warm.

Hmmm, is that why my furnace keeps crapping out? I'm using #2 home
_heating_ oil. What should I be using to heat my home if fossil fuels
can only cool?

Let me guess...you're from floriduh.

Re: Previous interglacial ice melt

<b5448061-4e13-4817-bec3-c0e01573dff4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7675&group=talk.origins#7675

From: jte...@gmail.com (JTEM is my hero)
Newsgroups: talk.origins
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 11:04:47 -0800 (PST)
Sender: to%beagle.ediacara.org
To: talk-origins@moderators.isc.org
d=1e100.net; s=20230601; t=1705172688; x=1705777488;
h=to:injection-date:from:subject:message-id:mime-version:user-agent
:references:nntp-posting-host:injection-info:in-reply-to:date
:newsgroups:path:x-gm-message-state:from:to:cc:subject:date
:message-id:reply-to;
bh=SeyQ9OVI0oKzO6DExb+KYF91HVuQeTERmfN9Ce/X20A=;
b=WhT+2PwFACm+UVowzr4VamIRqiv065+5t5wJZyQMcTuRr8KkwcE95CYNs4kKWkE8/1
tCBZOvn8o5now4YAkoLUGDZqcjEhjUfEwwpB8X9ksXsPg79Xcpd1qOOig7YAhm0zWR4L
ZQQbw8hILpxxnwQbIqjSBmdahWJRU6MrZ3ueEFcsLkefRQ34ZKLrB9BiBZRgqSIZgCh8
8/eNM79t8eYOXoMFhv/LJA2sB4ougRvYXk8yWNrg7vSuBbYLIXk/C54+PSkAl3Ny1rGl
eGWtD5+E4dFK4iDDgJi/kB8N0CqrFh+DEL/FfjOlVGCc0PKLtDzQQr5+JsVsHGxMtxwZ
DQvw==
 by: JTEM is my hero - Sat, 13 Jan 2024 19:04 UTC

Zen Cycle wrote:

> > Our present interglacial is overdue to end -- starting long before
> > industrialization -- and fossil fuels possess COOLING properties,
> > not warming. The pollution literally darkens the skies, shading
> > the planet, and all the sulfur emissions reduce the amount of the
> > sun's energy even reaching the earth.

> yeah....

Yeah, you mouth breathing, nose picking, snot eating imbecile. That
really is how it works. And we know this because SCIENCE is
consistent, even if you jackwads think it's a media headline.

If the fact that pollution darkens the sky is news to you -- or you're
just unfamiliar with the concept of "Shade" -- go wander back to
whatever Home left the door unlocked and ask for your
straitjacket back.

Or did you really not know that sulfur converts into an aerosol in the
atmosphere, reflecting the sun's energy back out into space so it
never even reaches us? Well, buttercup, stop commenting on the
climate... or anything more advanced than Barney the Dinosaur.

-- --

https://filmfreeway.com/BostonsScreamingOstrichFilmFestival

interests / talk.origins / Re: Previous interglacial ice melt