Newsgroups: rec.games.bridge
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2021 19:56:30 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Miscarriage of justice: Huub Bertens convicted on flimsiest
evidence imaginable
From: tulipfro...@gmail.com (Tulip Lel)
 by: Tulip Lel - Thu, 29 Apr 2021 02:56 UTC

On Thursday, April 22, 2021 at 3:48:23 PM UTC+7, Douglas wrote:
> Here is the third extracted part of Bertens' CAS appeal.
>
> HB = Huub Bertens.
>
> a) Lack of Explanation of the Decision:
>
> HB alleges that Adjudicatory Committee (“AC”) decision provided neither findings of fact, nor reasoning for the guilty verdict. Instead, after
> briefly summarizing the factual backdrop, the AC's reasons are limited to the following conclusory sentence:
>
> “The USBF Adjudicatory Committee, after full and careful consideration of all the subject USBF Invitational hands and all of the other evidence, unanimously finds, to its comfortable satisfaction, that Mr. Bertens is guilty as charged.”
>
> HB asserts that the AC decision is fundamentally flawed because there was no explanation of what evidence was accepted, whose testimony was deemed credible (sp), what reasoning supported the conclusion, or why the AC rejected the defense expert witness' testimony and opinion.
>
> HB alleges that the absence of reasons effectively deprives him of a meaningful right of appeal.
>
> HB alleges that his attorneys' request for a more detailed explanation of the verdict was refused. HB asserts he was informed that “no additional information would be forthcoming” (e-mail from David S. Sokolow, Legal Counsel of the AC).
>
> My comments begin here:
>
> What strikes me most about this whole process is the one-way direction of the relevant information at all times. I am surprised that anyone would put up with kind of nonsense for any period of time.
>
> Douglas
Bridgewinners is an extremely biased site. As soon as there is a smell of possible impropriety the lynch mob come out in force. If it is a US player there is less vehemence. One top US player, who is totally objectionable at the table is also completely objectionable in his posts.

interests / rec.games.bridge / Re: Miscarriage of justice: Huub Bertens convicted on flimsiest evidence imaginable