Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 18:47:48 +0000
Subject: Swivelbots's Bots: Generation One Long Haul
From: liambh...@gmail.com (Swivelbot)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
 by: Swivelbot - Sat, 27 Apr 2024 18:47 UTC

Long Haul isn't the prettiest, but he's got a great personality, an unlucky sap of a guy who really doesn't want to be "The one who carries stuff"

Long Haul is.. not very well proportioned, he's by far the longest horizontally and his legs are very far forward, arms can't reach past his own chest but a dump truck doesn't lend itself well to well-proportioned robots (Landfill and Wideload) and he does look great from the front.

His animation model has black instead of purple and that's probably because his box art also uses black instead, and I can't for the life of me explain why that is. This model also completely screws up his vehicle mode but that comes later.

Posability is Shoulders, and like Scrapper you can cheat to get knees, though he does stand up on a flat surface, don't even think about a non-flat surface.

He comes with his Laser Pistol (sensing a pattern here) and two Devastator components, his waist and his pelvis. I did snap his gun in half years ago, which sucks.

Transformation is a bit violent with a lot of worrisome creaks in the plastic. I've always thought it was funny that his face is stuck on a plate like the Penny Racer Minibots.

Dump Truck mode is actually pretty in scale with his team, he turns into a Hitachi DH321, which isn't a huge dump truck but that truck is relatively obscure so I don't blame the "Most """"comprehensive"""" database of Transformers in the world" for getting it wrong.

It is so funny that the animation model for this vehicle mode is so mistransformed, it's pretty much almost completely incorrect, his head and arms are fully visible.

The vehicle itself does technically have a functional bed but it doesn't look great when you do so since the bed itself is incomplete and takes the wheels with it, but that's needed for transformation, I do prefer when the Dump Truck bed actually becomes the robot instead of just going onto the back.

Swivelbot (My computer fan was going insane while I wrote this and I'm a bit concerned)

Re: Swivelbots's Bots: Generation One Long Haul

<d9ca44e8c5c00af3c8dbaea361668d2b@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9176&group=alt.toys.transformers#9176

Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2024 02:07:18 +0000
Subject: Re: Swivelbots's Bots: Generation One Long Haul
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
 by: Zobovor - Tue, 30 Apr 2024 02:07 UTC

Swivelbot wrote:

> Long Haul is.. not very well proportioned, he's by far the longest horizontally and his legs are very far forward, arms can't reach past his own chest but a dump truck doesn't lend itself well to well-proportioned robots (Landfill and Wideload) and he does look great from the front.

I think the only thing that really bothered me about him as a kid was his distinct lack of feet. Most Transformers had robot designs that more or less matched up to human anatomy, especially after you ran -them through the Floro Deryfication filter. In theory, a person would be able to fit inside a Transformer-shaped costume. But then you have characters like Long Haul or Blitzwing, who have no feet, and it throws the whole thing off.

I also feel the same way about characters like Drag Strip who (in the cartoon) have no functional waist. But that's a whole separate complaint.

> His animation model has black instead of purple and that's probably because his box art also uses black instead, and I can't for the life of me explain why that is.

Some of the Transformers box art was recycled from the Diaclone toy line, and the existing Constructicon portraits were just color-corrected to more closely match the Hasbro toy versions. But, Diaclone Long Haul had black arms instead of purple, so that's what his illustration looked like, and that carried over to the Transformers version.

Fun fact about Long Haul: some versions have a slot in the front grill and some don't. But what not everybody realizes is that it actually had a purpose during the Diaclone days, as the Devastator chest shield had an extra tab on the bottom that was supposed to plug into Long Haul and make the connection even more secure.

> Dump Truck mode is actually pretty in scale with his team, he turns into a Hitachi DH321, which isn't a huge dump truck but that truck is relatively obscure so I don't blame the "Most """"comprehensive"""" database of Transformers in the world" for getting it wrong.

Moving on, nothing more to say here...

> It is so funny that the animation model for this vehicle mode is so mistransformed, it's pretty much almost completely incorrect, his head and arms are fully visible.

There are actually a shocking number of Transformers toys whose animation models are just plain wrong, as a result of the toys being mistransformed when their cartoon designs were created. Long Haul is arguably one of the worst, but you've also got Shockwave (forearms are not rotated), Astrotrain (chest shield isn't unfolded), Silverbolt (wearing Superion's chest shield)... there are quite a few of them.

> The vehicle itself does technically have a functional bed but it doesn't look great when you do so since the bed itself is incomplete and takes the wheels with it, but that's needed for transformation, I do prefer when the Dump Truck bed actually becomes the robot instead of just going onto the back.

I feel like it's really important for certain vehicles to be able to Do Things. Like, all fire truck Transformers should have working ladders. All crane trucks should have a working cargo hook. Stuff like that. I feel the same way about dump trucks. You should be able to put stuff in them. Which makes Long Haul automatically superior to Wide Load or Landfill, neither of which have functional truck beds.

> Swivelbot (My computer fan was going insane while I wrote this and I'm a bit concerned)

No, that just means your computer is happy. You know, like when a dog starts panting uncontrollably.

Zob (is thirsty now for some reason)

interests / alt.toys.transformers / Swivelbots's Bots: Generation One Long Haul