An avocado-tone refrigerator would look good on your resume.

interests / talk.origins / Re: Common genes do not imply cross-species (human/hominid) breeding

SubjectAuthor
* Common genes do not imply cross-species (human/hominid) breedingpanther2020
+* Re: Common genes do not imply cross-species (human/hominid) breedingAthel Cornish-Bowden
|+* Re: Common genes do not imply cross-species (human/hominid) breedingRonO
||`* Re: Common genes do not imply cross-species (human/hominid) breedingAthel Cornish-Bowden
|| `* Re: Common genes do not imply cross-species (human/hominid) breedingErnest Major
||  `- Re: Common genes do not imply cross-species (human/hominid) breedingAthel Cornish-Bowden
|`* Re: Common genes do not imply cross-species (human/hominid) breedingJohn Harshman
| `* Re: Common genes do not imply cross-species (human/hominid) breeding*Hemidactylus*
|  `- Re: Common genes do not imply cross-species (human/hominid) breedingJohn Harshman
+- Re: Common genes do not imply cross-species (human/hominid) breeding*Hemidactylus*
+- Re: Common genes do not imply cross-species (human/hominid) breedingErnest Major
+* Re: Common genes do not imply cross-species (human/hominid) breedingpanther2020
|+* Re: Common genes do not imply cross-species (human/hominid) breedingErnest Major
||`- Re: Common genes do not imply cross-species (human/hominid) breedingAthel Cornish-Bowden
|`- Re: Common genes do not imply cross-species (human/hominid) breeding*Hemidactylus*
`* Re: Common genes do not imply cross-species (human/hominid) breedingBurkhard
 `- Re: Common genes do not imply cross-species (human/hominid) breeding*Hemidactylus*

1
Common genes do not imply cross-species (human/hominid) breeding

<WQcPN.240145$oD2.81416@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9406&group=talk.origins#9406

From: panther2...@vivaldi.net (panther2020)
Newsgroups: talk.origins
Subject: Common genes do not imply cross-species (human/hominid) breeding
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2024 08:29:25 -0500
Sender: to%beagle.ediacara.org
To: talk-origins@moderators.isc.org
 by: panther2020 - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 13:29 UTC

We share around half of our genes with the ordinary banana...

That assuredly does not come from humans BREEDING with bananas... It
most liikely comes from humans EATING bananas, pretty much forever, and
probably throughout the universe and not just on this planet.

Likewise, the first experience humans ever had with Neanderthals on
Earth was watching friends and family members being killed and eaten by
them, so that eating a Neanderthal that had been killed in some battle
would have just been sending the Neanderthals a message in their own
language...

In both cases, what you seem to be talking about is bacterial insertian
of genes.

There is a claim that, because some humans have a certain small number
of genes in common with Neanderthals, that humans and Neanderthals must
have interbred. That amounts to thinking that a Neanderthal male
could/would rape a woman and, rather than cooking and eating her
afterwards as usual, somehow or other keep her alive long enough to bear
a cross-species child, raise that child to reproductive age, and have
him/her breed back into human populations without anybody catching on,
i.e. the claim is ridiculous.

In real life:

Neanderthal females would kill that woman the first time her new owner
left her alone for ten minutes.

The woman wouldn't fare any better than the subjects of the commie
attempts to breed humans and apes into super workers in the 1930s.

Humans would notice the child was different (really different...)

And humans would kill that child and everybody else like him as part of
the same program which killed out the Neanderthal. They would not need
DNA tests to determine who to kill for that sort of reason, it would be
exceedingly obvious.

https://youtu.be/mZbmywzGAVs

In other words, it would be a miracle for something like that to ever
have happened once while the claims from Paabo et. al. require it to
have been going on all the time. That is, for human/hominid
cross-breeding to have left detectable traces in the DNA of modern
humans, it would have to have been entirely common.

One zero-probability event in the history of the universe? Maybe, but
not an infinite series of them, i.e. not something that stands
everything we know about probability on its head.

Re: Common genes do not imply cross-species (human/hominid) breeding

<l756ieF5c7dU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9407&group=talk.origins#9407

From: me...@yahoo.com (Athel Cornish-Bowden)
Newsgroups: talk.origins
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2024 16:14:45 +0200
Sender: to%beagle.ediacara.org
To: talk-origins@moderators.individual.net
id 4F38322976C; Wed, 3 Apr 2024 10:14:57 -0400 (EDT)
by beagle.ediacara.org (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 1DA9C229758
for <talk-origins@ediacara.org>; Wed, 3 Apr 2024 10:14:55 -0400 (EDT)
by moderators.individual.net (Exim 4.97)
for talk-origins@moderators.individual.net with esmtps (TLS1.3)
tls TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384
(envelope-from <mod-submit@uni-berlin.de>)
id 1rs1OD-0000000265l-0Ecx; Wed, 03 Apr 2024 16:14:57 +0200
by outpost.zedat.fu-berlin.de (Exim 4.97)
for talk-origins@moderators.individual.net with esmtps (TLS1.3)
tls TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384
(envelope-from <mod-submit@uni-berlin.de>)
id 1rs1Nv-00000003ufd-2Q3y; Wed, 03 Apr 2024 16:14:39 +0200
by relay1.zedat.fu-berlin.de (Exim 4.97)
for talk-origins@moderators.individual.net with esmtps (TLS1.3)
tls TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384
(envelope-from <mod-submit@uni-berlin.de>)
id 1rs1Nv-00000002LRP-29Bd; Wed, 03 Apr 2024 16:14:39 +0200
for talk-origins@moderators.individual.net with local-bsmtp
(envelope-from <mod-submit@uni-berlin.de>)
id 1rs1Nu-00000000jst-1KYb; Wed, 03 Apr 2024 16:14:38 +0200
 by: Athel Cornish-Bowden - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 14:14 UTC

On 2024-04-03 13:29:25 +0000, panther2020 said:

> We share around half of our genes with the ordinary banana...
>
> That assuredly does not come from humans BREEDING with bananas... It
> most liikely comes from humans EATING bananas, pretty much forever, and
> probably throughout the universe and not just on this planet.
>
> Likewise, the first experience humans ever had with Neanderthals on
> Earth was watching friends and family members being killed and eaten by
> them, so that eating a Neanderthal that had been killed in some battle
> would have just been sending the Neanderthals a message in their own
> language...
>
> In both cases, what you seem to be talking about is bacterial insertian
> of genes.
>
> There is a claim that, because some humans have a certain small number
> of genes in common with Neanderthals, that humans and Neanderthals must
> have interbred. That amounts to thinking that a Neanderthal male
> could/would rape a woman and, rather than cooking and eating her
> afterwards as usual, somehow or other keep her alive long enough to
> bear a cross-species child, raise that child to reproductive age, and
> have him/her breed back into human populations without anybody catching
> on, i.e. the claim is ridiculous.
>
> In real life:
>
> Neanderthal females would kill that woman the first time her new owner
> left her alone for ten minutes.
>
> The woman wouldn't fare any better than the subjects of the commie
> attempts to breed humans and apes into super workers in the 1930s.
>
> Humans would notice the child was different (really different...)
>
> And humans would kill that child and everybody else like him as part of
> the same program which killed out the Neanderthal. They would not need
> DNA tests to determine who to kill for that sort of reason, it would be
> exceedingly obvious.
>
> https://youtu.be/mZbmywzGAVs
>
> In other words, it would be a miracle for something like that to ever
> have happened once while the claims from Paabo et. al. require it to
> have been going on all the time. That is, for human/hominid
> cross-breeding to have left detectable traces in the DNA of modern
> humans, it would have to have been entirely common.
>
> One zero-probability event in the history of the universe? Maybe, but
> not an infinite series of them, i.e. not something that stands
> everything we know about probability on its head.

Severe case of Dunning-Kruger here. So much speculation on so little
knowledge. I leave it to others with more energy (Mark?) to take it
apart.

--
athel cb : Biochemical Evolution, Garland Science, 2016

Re: Common genes do not imply cross-species (human/hominid) breeding

<V8ednf0NhrXT95D7nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9408&group=talk.origins#9408

From: ecpho...@allspamis.invalid (*Hemidactylus*)
Newsgroups: talk.origins
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2024 14:40:14 +0000
Sender: to%beagle.ediacara.org
To: talk-origins@moderators.isc.org
 by: *Hemidactylus* - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 14:40 UTC

panther2020 <panther2020@vivaldi.net> wrote:
> We share around half of our genes with the ordinary banana...
>
> That assuredly does not come from humans BREEDING with bananas... It
> most liikely comes from humans EATING bananas, pretty much forever, and
> probably throughout the universe and not just on this planet.
>
> Likewise, the first experience humans ever had with Neanderthals on
> Earth was watching friends and family members being killed and eaten by
> them, so that eating a Neanderthal that had been killed in some battle
> would have just been sending the Neanderthals a message in their own
> language...
>
> In both cases, what you seem to be talking about is bacterial insertian
> of genes.
>
> There is a claim that, because some humans have a certain small number
> of genes in common with Neanderthals, that humans and Neanderthals must
> have interbred. That amounts to thinking that a Neanderthal male
> could/would rape a woman and, rather than cooking and eating her
> afterwards as usual, somehow or other keep her alive long enough to bear
> a cross-species child, raise that child to reproductive age, and have
> him/her breed back into human populations without anybody catching on,
> i.e. the claim is ridiculous.
>
> In real life:
>
> Neanderthal females would kill that woman the first time her new owner
> left her alone for ten minutes.
>
> The woman wouldn't fare any better than the subjects of the commie
> attempts to breed humans and apes into super workers in the 1930s.
>
> Humans would notice the child was different (really different...)
>
> And humans would kill that child and everybody else like him as part of
> the same program which killed out the Neanderthal. They would not need
> DNA tests to determine who to kill for that sort of reason, it would be
> exceedingly obvious.
>
> https://youtu.be/mZbmywzGAVs
>
> In other words, it would be a miracle for something like that to ever
> have happened once while the claims from Paabo et. al. require it to
> have been going on all the time. That is, for human/hominid
> cross-breeding to have left detectable traces in the DNA of modern
> humans, it would have to have been entirely common.
>
> One zero-probability event in the history of the universe? Maybe, but
> not an infinite series of them, i.e. not something that stands
> everything we know about probability on its head.

Is your apparent genetic relatedness to your parents of mutual cannibalism
and/or bacterial insertion of their genes into you?

Re: Common genes do not imply cross-species (human/hominid) breeding

<uujus1$15b8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9409&group=talk.origins#9409

From: {$t...@meden.demon.co.uk (Ernest Major)
Newsgroups: talk.origins
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2024 17:07:29 +0100
Sender: to%beagle.ediacara.org
To: talk-origins@moderators.isc.org
 by: Ernest Major - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 16:07 UTC

On 03/04/2024 14:29, panther2020 wrote:
> We share around half of our genes with the ordinary banana...
>
> That assuredly does not come from humans BREEDING with bananas...  It
> most liikely comes from humans EATING bananas, pretty much forever, and
> probably throughout the universe and not just on  this planet.

The genetic commonalities between humans and bananas mostly (possibly
completely) arise from retention with modification from their common
ancestor - an early eukaryote. You'll find that the commonalities
between humans and bananas are almost identical to those between other
mammals and bananas. You could try to explain this as a result of
alimentation for great apes (but you would have to explain why it's the
same bits of the banana genome got transferred in each instance), or
change your story to it coming from early apes, rather than humans,
eating bananas, but you'd still have to explain how banana DNA got into
New World monkeys (no bananas in South America), cats(obligate
carnivores) and dolphins (no bananas in the sea).

> Likewise, the first experience humans ever had with Neanderthals on
> Earth was watching friends and family members being killed and eaten by
> them, so that eating a Neanderthal that had been killed in some battle
> would have just been sending the Neanderthals a message in their own
> language...

Denny Vendramini's views are not accepted by the great majority of
anthropologists and geneticists. You can't use his model as an axiom and
make a convincing argument.

> In both cases, what you seem to be talking about is bacterial insertian
> of genes.

We have a body of knowledge about how horizontal transfer of genes
occurs, and about how to recognise occurrences. Alimentation is not a
common means of gene transfer, except in parasitic plants, whose tissues
are in intimate contact with their hosts at a subcellular level. If you
think about it, if alimentation was a regular cause of horizontal
transfer of genes to the degree that you postulate, the nested hierarchy
of the genome would be badly messed up - fish genes turning up in
otters, seals and dolphins, but not in dogs and hippopotami, wheat and
rice genes turning up in humans, but not in chimpanzees, and termite
genes turning up in anteaters, echidnas and pangolins, but not
armadillos and platypuses.

Even if it did occur, what would be transferred would be small sections
of the genome, that escaped digestion, passed into the bloodstream, and
somehow got incorporated into ova or spermatozoa. In contrast with
interbreeding neandertal genetic material enters the human gene pool in
chromosome sized chunks, and gets broken up over time through the
process of recombination. We can tell how recent the interbreeding was
by the size of the remaining chunks of neandertal DNA. We have an
ancient Homo sapiens specimen with about 1/16th neandertal ancestry,
with chunks of neandertal DNA of a size that implies that the
interbreeding was only a few generations back.

> There is a claim that, because some humans have a certain small number
> of genes in common with Neanderthals, that humans and Neanderthals must
> have interbred. That amounts to thinking that a Neanderthal male
> could/would rape a woman and, rather than cooking and eating her
> afterwards as usual, somehow or other keep her alive long enough to bear
> a cross-species child, raise that child to reproductive age, and have
> him/her breed back into human populations without anybody catching on,
> i.e. the claim is ridiculous.
>
> In real life:
>
> Neanderthal females would kill that woman the first time her new owner
> left her alone for ten minutes.
>
> The woman wouldn't fare any better than the subjects of the commie
> attempts to breed humans and apes into super workers in the 1930s.
>
> Humans would notice the child was different (really different...)
>
> And humans would kill that child and everybody else like him as part of
> the same program which killed out the Neanderthal. They would not need
> DNA tests to determine who to kill for that sort of reason, it would be
> exceedingly obvious.
>
> https://youtu.be/mZbmywzGAVs
>
> In other words, it would be a miracle for something like that to ever
> have happened once while the claims from Paabo et. al. require it to
> have been going on all the time. That is, for human/hominid
> cross-breeding to have left detectable traces in the DNA of modern
> humans, it would have to have been entirely common.
>
> One zero-probability event in the history of the universe? Maybe, but
> not an infinite series of them, i.e. not something that stands
> everything we know about probability on its head.

Congratulations - you've just proved that Denny Vendramini is wrong. (If
the observations contradict your premises, your premises are wrong.)

--
alias Ernest Major

Re: Common genes do not imply cross-species (human/hominid) breeding

<uukkpc$63q3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9413&group=talk.origins#9413

From: rokim...@cox.net (RonO)
Newsgroups: talk.origins
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2024 17:21:33 -0500
Sender: to%beagle.ediacara.org
To: talk-origins@moderators.isc.org
id 4CE4322976C; Wed, 3 Apr 2024 18:21:43 -0400 (EDT)
by beagle.ediacara.org (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 11BDA229758
for <talk-origins@ediacara.org>; Wed, 3 Apr 2024 18:21:41 -0400 (EDT)
by moderators.individual.net (Exim 4.97)
for talk-origins@moderators.isc.org with esmtps (TLS1.3)
tls TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384
(envelope-from <news@eternal-september.org>)
id 1rs8zH-00000002ecX-00U1; Thu, 04 Apr 2024 00:21:43 +0200
id 6E0F4DC01A9; Thu, 4 Apr 2024 00:21:33 +0200 (CEST)
 by: RonO - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 22:21 UTC

On 4/3/2024 9:14 AM, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
> On 2024-04-03 13:29:25 +0000, panther2020 said:
>
>> We share around half of our genes with the ordinary banana...
>>
>> That assuredly does not come from humans BREEDING with bananas...  It
>> most liikely comes from humans EATING bananas, pretty much forever,
>> and probably throughout the universe and not just on  this planet.
>>
>> Likewise, the first experience humans ever had with Neanderthals on
>> Earth was watching friends and family members being killed and eaten
>> by them, so that eating a Neanderthal that had been killed in some
>> battle would have just been sending the Neanderthals a message in
>> their own language...
>>
>> In both cases, what you seem to be talking about is bacterial
>> insertian of genes.
>>
>> There is a claim that, because some humans have a certain small number
>> of genes in common with Neanderthals, that humans and Neanderthals
>> must have interbred. That amounts to thinking that a Neanderthal male
>> could/would rape a woman and, rather than cooking and eating her
>> afterwards as usual, somehow or other keep her alive long enough to
>> bear a cross-species child, raise that child to reproductive age, and
>> have him/her breed back into human populations without anybody
>> catching on, i.e. the claim is ridiculous.
>>
>> In real life:
>>
>> Neanderthal females would kill that woman the first time her new owner
>> left her alone for ten minutes.
>>
>> The woman wouldn't fare any better than the subjects of the commie
>> attempts to breed humans and apes into super workers in the 1930s.
>>
>> Humans would notice the child was different (really different...)
>>
>> And humans would kill that child and everybody else like him as part
>> of the same program which killed out the Neanderthal. They would not
>> need DNA tests to determine who to kill for that sort of reason, it
>> would be exceedingly obvious.
>>
>> https://youtu.be/mZbmywzGAVs
>>
>> In other words, it would be a miracle for something like that to ever
>> have happened once while the claims from Paabo et. al. require it to
>> have been going on all the time. That is, for human/hominid
>> cross-breeding to have left detectable traces in the DNA of modern
>> humans, it would have to have been entirely common.
>>
>> One zero-probability event in the history of the universe? Maybe, but
>> not an infinite series of them, i.e. not something that stands
>> everything we know about probability on its head.
>
> Severe case of Dunning-Kruger here. So much speculation on so little
> knowledge. I leave it to others with more energy (Mark?) to take it apart.

Some ex child actor started using the creationist banana routine around
20 years ago, and it was just as stupid as it is now.

Ron Okimoto

Re: Common genes do not imply cross-species (human/hominid) breeding

<Z5ednXZKKJmxeZD7nZ2dnZfqlJ-dnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9415&group=talk.origins#9415

From: john.har...@gmail.com (John Harshman)
Newsgroups: talk.origins
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2024 16:20:11 -0700
Sender: to%beagle.ediacara.org
To: talk-origins@moderators.isc.org
 by: John Harshman - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 23:20 UTC

On 4/3/24 7:14 AM, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
> On 2024-04-03 13:29:25 +0000, panther2020 said:
>
>> We share around half of our genes with the ordinary banana...
>>
>> That assuredly does not come from humans BREEDING with bananas...  It
>> most liikely comes from humans EATING bananas, pretty much forever,
>> and probably throughout the universe and not just on  this planet.
>>
>> Likewise, the first experience humans ever had with Neanderthals on
>> Earth was watching friends and family members being killed and eaten
>> by them, so that eating a Neanderthal that had been killed in some
>> battle would have just been sending the Neanderthals a message in
>> their own language...
>>
>> In both cases, what you seem to be talking about is bacterial
>> insertian of genes.
>>
>> There is a claim that, because some humans have a certain small number
>> of genes in common with Neanderthals, that humans and Neanderthals
>> must have interbred. That amounts to thinking that a Neanderthal male
>> could/would rape a woman and, rather than cooking and eating her
>> afterwards as usual, somehow or other keep her alive long enough to
>> bear a cross-species child, raise that child to reproductive age, and
>> have him/her breed back into human populations without anybody
>> catching on, i.e. the claim is ridiculous.
>>
>> In real life:
>>
>> Neanderthal females would kill that woman the first time her new owner
>> left her alone for ten minutes.
>>
>> The woman wouldn't fare any better than the subjects of the commie
>> attempts to breed humans and apes into super workers in the 1930s.
>>
>> Humans would notice the child was different (really different...)
>>
>> And humans would kill that child and everybody else like him as part
>> of the same program which killed out the Neanderthal. They would not
>> need DNA tests to determine who to kill for that sort of reason, it
>> would be exceedingly obvious.
>>
>> https://youtu.be/mZbmywzGAVs
>>
>> In other words, it would be a miracle for something like that to ever
>> have happened once while the claims from Paabo et. al. require it to
>> have been going on all the time. That is, for human/hominid
>> cross-breeding to have left detectable traces in the DNA of modern
>> humans, it would have to have been entirely common.
>>
>> One zero-probability event in the history of the universe? Maybe, but
>> not an infinite series of them, i.e. not something that stands
>> everything we know about probability on its head.
>
> Severe case of Dunning-Kruger here. So much speculation on so little
> knowledge. I leave it to others with more energy (Mark?) to take it apart.

No, this looks like a job for JTEM. Let them hash it out, and nobody
else needs to be bothered.

Re: Common genes do not imply cross-species (human/hominid) breeding

<bb7b40da-23cf-4f73-be17-c9355e1a5e7c@vivaldi.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9418&group=talk.origins#9418

From: panther2...@vivaldi.net (panther2020)
Newsgroups: talk.origins
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2024 21:54:32 -0500
Sender: to%beagle.ediacara.org
To: talk-origins@moderators.isc.org
id 5E2A622976C; Wed, 3 Apr 2024 22:54:45 -0400 (EDT)
by beagle.ediacara.org (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 28158229758
for <talk-origins@ediacara.org>; Wed, 3 Apr 2024 22:54:43 -0400 (EDT)
by moderators.individual.net (Exim 4.97)
for talk-origins@moderators.isc.org with esmtps (TLS1.3)
tls TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384
(envelope-from <news-admin@admin.omicronmedia.com>)
id 1rsDFV-00000002xah-27UE; Thu, 04 Apr 2024 04:54:45 +0200
by nntpmail01.iad.omicronmedia.com (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 0FDADE15F5
for <talk-origins@moderators.isc.org>; Thu, 4 Apr 2024 02:54:34 +0000 (UTC)
id D77B4180FC3; Thu, 4 Apr 2024 02:54:33 +0000 (UTC)
 by: panther2020 - Thu, 4 Apr 2024 02:54 UTC

Again...

> There is a claim that, because some humans have a certain small number
> of genes in common with Neanderthals, that humans and Neanderthals must
> have interbred. That amounts to thinking that a Neanderthal male
> could/would rape a woman and, rather than cooking and eating her
> afterwards as usual, somehow or other keep her alive long enough to bear
> a cross-species child, raise that child to reproductive age, and have
> him/her breed back into human populations without anybody catching on,
> i.e. the claim is ridiculous.
>
> In real life:
>
> Neanderthal females would kill that woman the first time her new owner
> left her alone for ten minutes.
>
> The woman wouldn't fare any better than the subjects of the commie
> attempts to breed humans and apes into super workers in the 1930s.
>
> Humans would notice the child was different (really different...)
>
> And humans would kill that child and everybody else like him as part of
> the same program which killed out the Neanderthal. They would not need
> DNA tests to determine who to kill for that sort of reason, it would be
> exceedingly obvious.
>
> https://youtu.be/mZbmywzGAVs
>
> In other words, it would be a miracle for something like that to ever
> have happened once while the claims from Paabo et. al. require it to
> have been going on all the time. That is, for human/hominid
> cross-breeding to have left detectable traces in the DNA of modern
> humans, it would have to have been entirely common.
>
> One zero-probability event in the history of the universe? Maybe, but
> not an infinite series of them, i.e. not something that stands
> everything we know about probability on its head.

All of that rules out the narrative put out by Paabo and others. The
alternative I propose can not be ruled out so easily.

Here is what I think you have to picture. A cromagnon war party fights a
pitched battle with some Neanderthal family group in the late afternoon
or evening and, they greatly outnumber the hominids and have javelins
and atlatls while the hominids are limited to thrusting spears so that
the affair is one sided. Afterwards, the humans are sitting around a
fire licking any wounds, there are eight or ten neanderthals lying
around dead, and one of them says something like:

"Man, this has been a hell of a day, I'm hungry enough to eat just about
anything and I'm not about to go off hunting right now, what the hell
could there be to eat around here??"

Think really hard, what do you suspect those guys are eating that night?

And, unless they were to somehow manage to cook one of those hominids
very thoroughly, bacterial gene insertion would be a real possibility.

Common genes from some very remote ancestor of both humans and hominids
is not an option, since all humans would have the genes, and not just
Europeans and Asians but not Africans as is the case. Plainly,
Neanderthals were never on he menu in Africa.

As for Danny Vendramini, you have to remember that Neanderthal dna is
described as roughly halfway between ours and that of a chimpanzee, and
a bit closer to that of the chimp. You need to ask yourself what you
think such a creature would look like....

Re: Common genes do not imply cross-species (human/hominid) breeding

<uulib4$gafc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9420&group=talk.origins#9420

From: {$t...@meden.demon.co.uk (Ernest Major)
Newsgroups: talk.origins
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2024 07:45:56 +0100
Sender: to%beagle.ediacara.org
To: talk-origins@moderators.isc.org
 by: Ernest Major - Thu, 4 Apr 2024 06:45 UTC

On 04/04/2024 03:54, panther2020 wrote:

> As for Danny Vendramini, you have to remember that Neanderthal dna is
> described as roughly halfway between ours and that of a chimpanzee, and
> a bit closer to that of the chimp.  You need to ask yourself what you
> think such a creature would look like....

Like Lucy?

However, the estimates are the the common ancestor of us and Neandertals
lived 500,000 years ago, and the common ancestor of us and chimpanzees
an order of magnitude earlier. Whoever described Neandertal DNA as
"roughly halfway between ours and that of a chimpanzee, and
a bit closer to that of the chimp" was seriously inaccurate.

--
alias Ernest Major

Re: Common genes do not imply cross-species (human/hominid) breeding

<l777c8FemltU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9421&group=talk.origins#9421

From: me...@yahoo.com (Athel Cornish-Bowden)
Newsgroups: talk.origins
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2024 10:40:47 +0200
Sender: to%beagle.ediacara.org
To: talk-origins@moderators.individual.net
id 8C28F22976C; Thu, 4 Apr 2024 04:40:57 -0400 (EDT)
by beagle.ediacara.org (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 42C7A229758
for <talk-origins@ediacara.org>; Thu, 4 Apr 2024 04:40:55 -0400 (EDT)
by moderators.individual.net (Exim 4.97)
for talk-origins@moderators.individual.net with esmtps (TLS1.3)
tls TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384
(envelope-from <mod-submit@uni-berlin.de>)
id 1rsIeX-00000003LxN-3PP7; Thu, 04 Apr 2024 10:40:57 +0200
by outpost.zedat.fu-berlin.de (Exim 4.97)
for talk-origins@moderators.individual.net with esmtps (TLS1.3)
tls TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384
(envelope-from <mod-submit@uni-berlin.de>)
id 1rsIeH-00000003ypk-1par; Thu, 04 Apr 2024 10:40:41 +0200
by relay1.zedat.fu-berlin.de (Exim 4.97)
for talk-origins@moderators.individual.net with esmtps (TLS1.3)
tls TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384
(envelope-from <mod-submit@uni-berlin.de>)
id 1rsIeH-00000001yrJ-1ZkD; Thu, 04 Apr 2024 10:40:41 +0200
for talk-origins@moderators.individual.net with local-bsmtp
(envelope-from <mod-submit@uni-berlin.de>)
id 1rsIeG-000000021OB-0nrl; Thu, 04 Apr 2024 10:40:40 +0200
 by: Athel Cornish-Bowden - Thu, 4 Apr 2024 08:40 UTC

On 2024-04-04 06:45:56 +0000, Ernest Major said:

> On 04/04/2024 03:54, panther2020 wrote:
>>
>> As for Danny Vendramini, you have to remember that Neanderthal dna is
>> described as roughly halfway between ours and that of a chimpanzee, and
>> a bit closer to that of the chimp.  You need to ask yourself what you
>> think such a creature would look like....
>
> Like Lucy?
>
> However, the estimates are the the common ancestor of us and
> Neandertals lived 500,000 years ago, and the common ancestor of us and
> chimpanzees an order of magnitude earlier. Whoever described Neandertal
> DNA as "roughly halfway between ours and that of a chimpanzee, and
> a bit closer to that of the chimp" was seriously inaccurate.

Like everything else in panther2020's posts.

--
Athel -- French and British, living in Marseilles for 37 years; mainly
in England until 1987.

Re: Common genes do not imply cross-species (human/hominid) breeding

<l777pkFeodnU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9422&group=talk.origins#9422

From: me...@yahoo.com (Athel Cornish-Bowden)
Newsgroups: talk.origins
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2024 10:47:56 +0200
Sender: to%beagle.ediacara.org
To: talk-origins@moderators.individual.net
id D1E2122976C; Thu, 4 Apr 2024 04:48:05 -0400 (EDT)
by beagle.ediacara.org (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 98D67229758
for <talk-origins@ediacara.org>; Thu, 4 Apr 2024 04:48:03 -0400 (EDT)
by moderators.individual.net (Exim 4.97)
for talk-origins@moderators.individual.net with esmtps (TLS1.3)
tls TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384
(envelope-from <mod-submit@uni-berlin.de>)
id 1rsIlS-00000003MOK-0IcU; Thu, 04 Apr 2024 10:48:06 +0200
by outpost.zedat.fu-berlin.de (Exim 4.97)
for talk-origins@moderators.individual.net with esmtps (TLS1.3)
tls TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384
(envelope-from <mod-submit@uni-berlin.de>)
id 1rsIlB-0000000417Q-477e; Thu, 04 Apr 2024 10:47:50 +0200
by relay1.zedat.fu-berlin.de (Exim 4.97)
for talk-origins@moderators.individual.net with esmtps (TLS1.3)
tls TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384
(envelope-from <mod-submit@uni-berlin.de>)
id 1rsIlB-000000020gM-3s90; Thu, 04 Apr 2024 10:47:49 +0200
for talk-origins@moderators.individual.net with local-bsmtp
(envelope-from <mod-submit@uni-berlin.de>)
id 1rsIlA-000000021r9-37e5; Thu, 04 Apr 2024 10:47:48 +0200
 by: Athel Cornish-Bowden - Thu, 4 Apr 2024 08:47 UTC

On 2024-04-03 22:21:33 +0000, RonO said:

> On 4/3/2024 9:14 AM, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
>> On 2024-04-03 13:29:25 +0000, panther2020 said:
>>
>>> We share around half of our genes with the ordinary banana...
>>>
>>> That assuredly does not come from humans BREEDING with bananas...  It
>>> most liikely comes from humans EATING bananas, pretty much forever, and
>>> probably throughout the universe and not just on  this planet.
>>>
>>> Likewise, the first experience humans ever had with Neanderthals on
>>> Earth was watching friends and family members being killed and eaten by
>>> them, so that eating a Neanderthal that had been killed in some battle
>>> would have just been sending the Neanderthals a message in their own
>>> language...
>>>
>>> In both cases, what you seem to be talking about is bacterial insertian
>>> of genes.
>>>
>>> There is a claim that, because some humans have a certain small number
>>> of genes in common with Neanderthals, that humans and Neanderthals must
>>> have interbred. That amounts to thinking that a Neanderthal male
>>> could/would rape a woman and, rather than cooking and eating her
>>> afterwards as usual, somehow or other keep her alive long enough to
>>> bear a cross-species child, raise that child to reproductive age, and
>>> have him/her breed back into human populations without anybody catching
>>> on, i.e. the claim is ridiculous.
>>>
>>> In real life:
>>>
>>> Neanderthal females would kill that woman the first time her new owner
>>> left her alone for ten minutes.
>>>
>>> The woman wouldn't fare any better than the subjects of the commie
>>> attempts to breed humans and apes into super workers in the 1930s.
>>>
>>> Humans would notice the child was different (really different...)
>>>
>>> And humans would kill that child and everybody else like him as part of
>>> the same program which killed out the Neanderthal. They would not need
>>> DNA tests to determine who to kill for that sort of reason, it would be
>>> exceedingly obvious.
>>>
>>> https://youtu.be/mZbmywzGAVs
>>>
>>> In other words, it would be a miracle for something like that to ever
>>> have happened once while the claims from Paabo et. al. require it to
>>> have been going on all the time. That is, for human/hominid
>>> cross-breeding to have left detectable traces in the DNA of modern
>>> humans, it would have to have been entirely common.
>>>
>>> One zero-probability event in the history of the universe? Maybe, but
>>> not an infinite series of them, i.e. not something that stands
>>> everything we know about probability on its head.
>>
>> Severe case of Dunning-Kruger here. So much speculation on so little
>> knowledge. I leave it to others with more energy (Mark?) to take it
>> apart.
>>

> Some ex child actor started using the creationist banana routine around
> 20 years ago, and it was just as stupid as it is now.

Why stop at bananas? Humans and yeast have much the same biochemistry,
and many enzymes (the hexokinases, for example) are clearly homologous.
Did our ancestors get their hexokinases by drinking too much
inadequately filtered beer? How did they manage before beer was
available? Without hexokinases much of biochemistry (glycolysis, for
example) would be impossible. Are we as closely related to
Saccharomyces cerevisiae as we are to bananas?

--
Athel -- French and British, living in Marseilles for 37 years; mainly
in England until 1987.

Re: Common genes do not imply cross-species (human/hominid) breeding

<OrGdnaeG3K3b7JP7nZ2dnZfqn_SdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9424&group=talk.origins#9424

From: ecpho...@allspamis.invalid (*Hemidactylus*)
Newsgroups: talk.origins
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2024 09:22:14 +0000
Sender: to%beagle.ediacara.org
To: talk-origins@moderators.isc.org
id 0A2AC22976C; Thu, 4 Apr 2024 05:22:56 -0400 (EDT)
by beagle.ediacara.org (Postfix) with ESMTPS id B7B67229758
for <talk-origins@ediacara.org>; Thu, 4 Apr 2024 05:22:53 -0400 (EDT)
by moderators.individual.net (Exim 4.97)
for talk-origins@moderators.isc.org with esmtp
(envelope-from <poster@giganews.com>)
id 1rsJJA-00000003Ogj-1RKb; Thu, 04 Apr 2024 11:22:56 +0200
by egress-mx.phmgmt.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 581C760C7B
for <talk-origins@moderators.isc.org>; Thu, 4 Apr 2024 09:22:01 +0000 (UTC)
by serv-4.ord.giganews.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id DA7FF44048C
for <talk-origins@moderators.isc.org>; Thu, 4 Apr 2024 04:22:14 -0500 (CDT)
by serv-4.i.ord.giganews.com (8.14.4/8.14.4/Submit) id 4349ME7a017894;
Thu, 4 Apr 2024 04:22:14 -0500
 by: *Hemidactylus* - Thu, 4 Apr 2024 09:22 UTC

panther2020 <panther2020@vivaldi.net> wrote:
> Again...
>>
>> There is a claim that, because some humans have a certain small number
>> of genes in common with Neanderthals, that humans and Neanderthals must
>> have interbred. That amounts to thinking that a Neanderthal male
>> could/would rape a woman and, rather than cooking and eating her
>> afterwards as usual, somehow or other keep her alive long enough to bear
>> a cross-species child, raise that child to reproductive age, and have
>> him/her breed back into human populations without anybody catching on,
>> i.e. the claim is ridiculous.
>>
>> In real life:
>>
>> Neanderthal females would kill that woman the first time her new owner
>> left her alone for ten minutes.
>>
>> The woman wouldn't fare any better than the subjects of the commie
>> attempts to breed humans and apes into super workers in the 1930s.
>>
>> Humans would notice the child was different (really different...)
>>
>> And humans would kill that child and everybody else like him as part of
>> the same program which killed out the Neanderthal. They would not need
>> DNA tests to determine who to kill for that sort of reason, it would be
>> exceedingly obvious.
>>
>> https://youtu.be/mZbmywzGAVs
>>
>> In other words, it would be a miracle for something like that to ever
>> have happened once while the claims from Paabo et. al. require it to
>> have been going on all the time. That is, for human/hominid
>> cross-breeding to have left detectable traces in the DNA of modern
>> humans, it would have to have been entirely common.
>>
>> One zero-probability event in the history of the universe? Maybe, but
>> not an infinite series of them, i.e. not something that stands
>> everything we know about probability on its head.
>

> All of that rules out the narrative put out by Paabo and others. The
> alternative I propose can not be ruled out so easily.
>
> Here is what I think you have to picture. A cromagnon war party fights a
> pitched battle with some Neanderthal family group in the late afternoon
> or evening and, they greatly outnumber the hominids and have javelins
> and atlatls while the hominids are limited to thrusting spears so that
> the affair is one sided. Afterwards, the humans are sitting around a
> fire licking any wounds, there are eight or ten neanderthals lying
> around dead, and one of them says something like:
>
> "Man, this has been a hell of a day, I'm hungry enough to eat just about
> anything and I'm not about to go off hunting right now, what the hell
> could there be to eat around here??"
>
> Think really hard, what do you suspect those guys are eating that night?
>
> And, unless they were to somehow manage to cook one of those hominids
> very thoroughly, bacterial gene insertion would be a real possibility.

Thus taking “You are what you eat” to absurd extremes. If our genomes were
so susceptible to bacterial gene insertion (how precisely does that
work…step by step?) we would be swamped by a vanishing form of blending
inheritance via horizontal gene transfer. Meat eaters and vegans would
diverge into separate human lineages. Only cannibals would remain
purebloods.

> Common genes from some very remote ancestor of both humans and hominids
> is not an option, since all humans would have the genes, and not just
> Europeans and Asians but not Africans as is the case. Plainly,
> Neanderthals were never on he menu in Africa.
>
> As for Danny Vendramini, you have to remember that Neanderthal dna is
> described as roughly halfway between ours and that of a chimpanzee, and
> a bit closer to that of the chimp. You need to ask yourself what you
> think such a creature would look like....

Manpanzee?

Re: Common genes do not imply cross-species (human/hominid) breeding

<k7ycna-au7CRnJL7nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9432&group=talk.origins#9432

From: ecpho...@allspamis.invalid (*Hemidactylus*)
Newsgroups: talk.origins
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2024 19:35:40 +0000
Sender: to%beagle.ediacara.org
To: talk-origins@moderators.isc.org
id 84E1122976C; Thu, 4 Apr 2024 15:35:50 -0400 (EDT)
by beagle.ediacara.org (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 4DEDB229758
for <talk-origins@ediacara.org>; Thu, 4 Apr 2024 15:35:48 -0400 (EDT)
by moderators.individual.net (Exim 4.97)
for talk-origins@moderators.isc.org with esmtp
(envelope-from <poster@giganews.com>)
id 1rsSsJ-000000045Tl-14XZ; Thu, 04 Apr 2024 21:35:51 +0200
by egress-mx.phmgmt.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 3C7E760B42
for <talk-origins@moderators.isc.org>; Thu, 4 Apr 2024 19:35:27 +0000 (UTC)
by serv-3.ord.giganews.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id D82994406B1
for <talk-origins@moderators.isc.org>; Thu, 4 Apr 2024 14:35:40 -0500 (CDT)
by serv-3.i.ord.giganews.com (8.14.4/8.14.4/Submit) id 434JZeXr022027;
Thu, 4 Apr 2024 14:35:40 -0500
 by: *Hemidactylus* - Thu, 4 Apr 2024 19:35 UTC

John Harshman <john.harshman@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/3/24 7:14 AM, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
>> On 2024-04-03 13:29:25 +0000, panther2020 said:
>>
>>> We share around half of our genes with the ordinary banana...
>>>
>>> That assuredly does not come from humans BREEDING with bananas...  It
>>> most liikely comes from humans EATING bananas, pretty much forever,
>>> and probably throughout the universe and not just on  this planet.
>>>
>>> Likewise, the first experience humans ever had with Neanderthals on
>>> Earth was watching friends and family members being killed and eaten
>>> by them, so that eating a Neanderthal that had been killed in some
>>> battle would have just been sending the Neanderthals a message in
>>> their own language...
>>>
>>> In both cases, what you seem to be talking about is bacterial
>>> insertian of genes.
>>>
>>> There is a claim that, because some humans have a certain small number
>>> of genes in common with Neanderthals, that humans and Neanderthals
>>> must have interbred. That amounts to thinking that a Neanderthal male
>>> could/would rape a woman and, rather than cooking and eating her
>>> afterwards as usual, somehow or other keep her alive long enough to
>>> bear a cross-species child, raise that child to reproductive age, and
>>> have him/her breed back into human populations without anybody
>>> catching on, i.e. the claim is ridiculous.
>>>
>>> In real life:
>>>
>>> Neanderthal females would kill that woman the first time her new owner
>>> left her alone for ten minutes.
>>>
>>> The woman wouldn't fare any better than the subjects of the commie
>>> attempts to breed humans and apes into super workers in the 1930s.
>>>
>>> Humans would notice the child was different (really different...)
>>>
>>> And humans would kill that child and everybody else like him as part
>>> of the same program which killed out the Neanderthal. They would not
>>> need DNA tests to determine who to kill for that sort of reason, it
>>> would be exceedingly obvious.
>>>
>>> https://youtu.be/mZbmywzGAVs
>>>
>>> In other words, it would be a miracle for something like that to ever
>>> have happened once while the claims from Paabo et. al. require it to
>>> have been going on all the time. That is, for human/hominid
>>> cross-breeding to have left detectable traces in the DNA of modern
>>> humans, it would have to have been entirely common.
>>>
>>> One zero-probability event in the history of the universe? Maybe, but
>>> not an infinite series of them, i.e. not something that stands
>>> everything we know about probability on its head.
>>
>> Severe case of Dunning-Kruger here. So much speculation on so little
>> knowledge. I leave it to others with more energy (Mark?) to take it apart.
>>
> No, this looks like a job for JTEM. Let them hash it out, and nobody
> else needs to be bothered.

What has panther2020 done that warrants that fate? You’re evil!

Re: Common genes do not imply cross-species (human/hominid) breeding

<uun2ju$s3h7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9433&group=talk.origins#9433

From: {$t...@meden.demon.co.uk (Ernest Major)
Newsgroups: talk.origins
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2024 21:29:50 +0100
Sender: to%beagle.ediacara.org
To: talk-origins@moderators.isc.org
 by: Ernest Major - Thu, 4 Apr 2024 20:29 UTC

On 04/04/2024 09:47, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
> Are we as closely related to Saccharomyces cerevisiae as we are to bananas?

We're more closely related to S. cerevisiae than we are to Musa
paradisiaca. The location of the eukaryote root has been disputed, but
it's generally agreed that Holomycota and Holozoa form a clade that's on
one side of the root, and Viridiplantae are on the other side.

--
alias Ernest Major

Re: Common genes do not imply cross-species (human/hominid) breeding

<71e4e35db8e5910e6657ec64ae38c9e7@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9436&group=talk.origins#9436

Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2024 23:56:14 +0000
From: b.scha...@ed.ac.uk (Burkhard)
Newsgroups: talk.origins
 by: Burkhard - Thu, 4 Apr 2024 23:56 UTC

panther2020 wrote:

> We share around half of our genes with the ordinary banana...

> That assuredly does not come from humans BREEDING with bananas... It
> most liikely comes from humans EATING bananas, pretty much forever, and
> probably throughout the universe and not just on this planet.

That over-complicates things, eating is not necessary. I mean,
have you ever noticed how much dogs look like their owners? That's
of course not because they eat each other, it is perfectly sufficient
to be exposed to each other's morphic fields.

Just try it out yourself: Stay for eight months or so next to a
banana, doing absolutely nothing else but looking at it. At the
end of that period, we can compare you and the banana, and I'm sure
that by that time you two will look much moe similar than before

> Likewise, the first experience humans ever had with Neanderthals on
> Earth was watching friends and family members being killed and eaten by
> them, so that eating a Neanderthal that had been killed in some battle
> would have just been sending the Neanderthals a message in their own
> language...

> In both cases, what you seem to be talking about is bacterial insertian
> of genes.

> There is a claim that, because some humans have a certain small number
> of genes in common with Neanderthals, that humans and Neanderthals must
> have interbred. That amounts to thinking that a Neanderthal male
> could/would rape a woman and, rather than cooking and eating her
> afterwards as usual, somehow or other keep her alive long enough to bear
> a cross-species child, raise that child to reproductive age, and have
> him/her breed back into human populations without anybody catching on,
> i.e. the claim is ridiculous.

> In real life:

> Neanderthal females would kill that woman the first time her new owner
> left her alone for ten minutes.

> The woman wouldn't fare any better than the subjects of the commie
> attempts to breed humans and apes into super workers in the 1930s.

> Humans would notice the child was different (really different...)

> And humans would kill that child and everybody else like him as part of
> the same program which killed out the Neanderthal. They would not need
> DNA tests to determine who to kill for that sort of reason, it would be
> exceedingly obvious.

> https://youtu.be/mZbmywzGAVs

> In other words, it would be a miracle for something like that to ever
> have happened once while the claims from Paabo et. al. require it to
> have been going on all the time. That is, for human/hominid
> cross-breeding to have left detectable traces in the DNA of modern
> humans, it would have to have been entirely common.

> One zero-probability event in the history of the universe? Maybe, but
> not an infinite series of them, i.e. not something that stands
> everything we know about probability on its head.

Re: Common genes do not imply cross-species (human/hominid) breeding

<pxGdnc8FTKk4yJL7nZ2dnZfqn_SdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9438&group=talk.origins#9438

From: ecpho...@allspamis.invalid (*Hemidactylus*)
Newsgroups: talk.origins
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2024 01:36:37 +0000
Sender: to%beagle.ediacara.org
To: talk-origins@moderators.isc.org
 by: *Hemidactylus* - Fri, 5 Apr 2024 01:36 UTC

Burkhard <b.schafer@ed.ac.uk> wrote:
> panther2020 wrote:
>
>> We share around half of our genes with the ordinary banana...
>
>> That assuredly does not come from humans BREEDING with bananas... It
>> most liikely comes from humans EATING bananas, pretty much forever, and
>> probably throughout the universe and not just on this planet.
>
> That over-complicates things, eating is not necessary. I mean,
> have you ever noticed how much dogs look like their owners? That's
> of course not because they eat each other, it is perfectly sufficient
> to be exposed to each other's morphic fields.
>
> Just try it out yourself: Stay for eight months or so next to a
> banana, doing absolutely nothing else but looking at it. At the
> end of that period, we can compare you and the banana, and I'm sure
> that by that time you two will look much moe similar than before

I’ve heard that helps for penis size or at least more so than eating
bananas. Cucumbers though! More morphic resonance please. I tried to stare
at a blimp hangar in Pompano. It failed to take. When I tried to eat the
blimp the local authorities got all against the science.

Re: Common genes do not imply cross-species (human/hominid) breeding

<h8SdnesFZoS0xpL7nZ2dnZfqlJ-dnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9439&group=talk.origins#9439

From: john.har...@gmail.com (John Harshman)
Newsgroups: talk.origins
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2024 19:00:09 -0700
Sender: to%beagle.ediacara.org
To: talk-origins@moderators.isc.org
 by: John Harshman - Fri, 5 Apr 2024 02:00 UTC

On 4/4/24 12:35 PM, *Hemidactylus* wrote:
> John Harshman <john.harshman@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Severe case of Dunning-Kruger here. So much speculation on so little
>>> knowledge. I leave it to others with more energy (Mark?) to take it apart.
>>>
>> No, this looks like a job for JTEM. Let them hash it out, and nobody
>> else needs to be bothered.
>>
> What has panther2020 done that warrants that fate? You’re evil!

Give him a little more time. You'll come around.

Re: Common genes do not imply cross-species (human/hominid) breeding

<l79nclFq7adU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=9441&group=talk.origins#9441

From: me...@yahoo.com (Athel Cornish-Bowden)
Newsgroups: talk.origins
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2024 09:26:21 +0200
Sender: to%beagle.ediacara.org
To: talk-origins@moderators.individual.net
id 448DB22976C; Fri, 5 Apr 2024 03:26:31 -0400 (EDT)
by beagle.ediacara.org (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 14C5E229758
for <talk-origins@ediacara.org>; Fri, 5 Apr 2024 03:26:29 -0400 (EDT)
by moderators.individual.net (Exim 4.97)
for talk-origins@moderators.individual.net with esmtps (TLS1.3)
tls TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384
(envelope-from <mod-submit@uni-berlin.de>)
id 1rsdy4-00000000hWX-2eNe; Fri, 05 Apr 2024 09:26:32 +0200
by outpost.zedat.fu-berlin.de (Exim 4.97)
for talk-origins@moderators.individual.net with esmtps (TLS1.3)
tls TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384
(envelope-from <mod-submit@uni-berlin.de>)
id 1rsdxm-00000001i6S-46LP; Fri, 05 Apr 2024 09:26:14 +0200
by relay1.zedat.fu-berlin.de (Exim 4.97)
for talk-origins@moderators.individual.net with esmtps (TLS1.3)
tls TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384
(envelope-from <mod-submit@uni-berlin.de>)
id 1rsdxm-000000033O5-3q8K; Fri, 05 Apr 2024 09:26:14 +0200
for talk-origins@moderators.individual.net with local-bsmtp
(envelope-from <mod-submit@uni-berlin.de>)
id 1rsdxl-00000003bah-34x9; Fri, 05 Apr 2024 09:26:13 +0200
 by: Athel Cornish-Bowden - Fri, 5 Apr 2024 07:26 UTC

On 2024-04-04 20:29:50 +0000, Ernest Major said:

> On 04/04/2024 09:47, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
>> Are we as closely related to Saccharomyces cerevisiae as we are to bananas?
>
> We're more closely related to S. cerevisiae than we are to Musa
> paradisiaca. The location of the eukaryote root has been disputed, but
> it's generally agreed that Holomycota and Holozoa form a clade that's
> on one side of the root, and Viridiplantae are on the other side.

No doubt you're right. I should have checked before pronouncing on our
cousin Saccharomyces cerevisiae.