The nation that controls magnetism controls the universe. -- Chester Gould/Dick Tracy

computers / alt.privacy.anon-server / Mixmaster statistics version

SubjectAuthor
* Mixmaster statistics versionAnonymous
`* Re: Mixmaster statistics versionSEC3
 `* Re: Mixmaster statistics versionAnonymous
  `* Re: Mixmaster statistics versionSEC3
   `* Re: Mixmaster statistics versionNomen Nescio
    +- Re: Mixmaster statistics versionAnonymous
    `* Re: Mixmaster statistics versionSEC3
     +- Re: Mixmaster statistics versionNomen Nescio
     `- Re: Mixmaster statistics versionelvis-85792

1
Mixmaster statistics version

<ac51e892734432790ef6d7b77346b833@remailer.paranoici.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10066&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#10066

From: nob...@remailer.paranoici.org (Anonymous)
Subject: Mixmaster statistics version
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2021 20:14:47 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Anonymous - Sun, 17 Oct 2021 18:14 UTC

Hi!

Am I right, that Mixmaster-4096 requires v1/mlist statistics
files, whereas for Yamn the v2/mlist2 format is mandatory?

Re: Mixmaster statistics version

<RR_aJ.826129$ya7f.672663@fx10.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10067&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#10067

Subject: Re: Mixmaster statistics version
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
From: adm...@sec3.net (SEC3)
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2021 15:30:57 -0400
 by: SEC3 - Sun, 17 Oct 2021 19:30 UTC

On 2021-10-17 2:14 p.m., Anonymous wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Am I right, that Mixmaster-4096 requires v1/mlist statistics
> files, whereas for Yamn the v2/mlist2 format is mandatory?

The Mixmaster client expects updated copies of these files:
mlist.txt
rlist.txt
pubring.asc (AKA pgp-all.asc)
pubring.mix

The YAMN client expects update copies of these:

mlist2.txt
pubring.mix

--
SEC3

YAMN Tutorials - https:/www.sec3.net/yamnhelp/

Re: Mixmaster statistics version

<2868e232f74099cf95dda4b5d69124d3@remailer.paranoici.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10072&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#10072

From: nob...@remailer.paranoici.org (Anonymous)
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 00:36:51 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Anonymous - Sun, 17 Oct 2021 22:36 UTC

SEC3 <admin@sec3.net> wrote:

>On 2021-10-17 2:14 p.m., Anonymous wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> Am I right, that Mixmaster-4096 requires v1/mlist statistics
>> files, whereas for Yamn the v2/mlist2 format is mandatory?
>>

>The Mixmaster client expects updated copies of these files:
>mlist.txt
>rlist.txt
>pubring.asc (AKA pgp-all.asc)
>pubring.mix
>
>The YAMN client expects update copies of these:
>
>mlist2.txt
>pubring.mix

But isn't the mlist2 format much older than YAMN? How come?

Re: Mixmaster statistics version

<hGgbJ.165295$C1F8.17283@fx04.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10078&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#10078

Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
From: adm...@sec3.net (SEC3)
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 11:47:24 -0400
 by: SEC3 - Mon, 18 Oct 2021 15:47 UTC

On 2021-10-17 6:36 p.m., Anonymous wrote:
> SEC3 <admin@sec3.net> wrote:
>
>> On 2021-10-17 2:14 p.m., Anonymous wrote:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> Am I right, that Mixmaster-4096 requires v1/mlist statistics
>>> files, whereas for Yamn the v2/mlist2 format is mandatory?
>>>

>> The Mixmaster client expects updated copies of these files:
>> mlist.txt
>> rlist.txt
>> pubring.asc (AKA pgp-all.asc)
>> pubring.mix
>>
>> The YAMN client expects update copies of these:
>>
>> mlist2.txt
>> pubring.mix
>
> But isn't the mlist2 format much older than YAMN? How come?

Yes its older. Everything about Mixmaster is older than YAMN. Why Zax
chose to use mlist2.txt for YAMN is a question he would have to answer.

I'm guessing that he took the parts from Mixmaster that worked best and
used them in YAMN. Mlist2.txt has the advantage of containing both
reliability statistics *and" remailer emails together in one file.

--
SEC3

YAMN Tutorials - https:/www.sec3.net/yamnhelp/

Re: Mixmaster statistics version

<79f51b89f941c0b4bea8b4eea2fd4b98@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10081&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#10081

From: nob...@dizum.com (Nomen Nescio)
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 20:13:20 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Nomen Nescio - Mon, 18 Oct 2021 18:13 UTC

SEC3 <admin@sec3.net> wrote:
>On 2021-10-17 6:36 p.m., Anonymous wrote:
>> SEC3 <admin@sec3.net> wrote:

>>> The Mixmaster client expects updated copies of these files:
>>> mlist.txt
>>> rlist.txt
>>> pubring.asc (AKA pgp-all.asc)
>>> pubring.mix
>>>
>>> The YAMN client expects update copies of these:
>>>
>>> mlist2.txt
>>> pubring.mix
>>
>> But isn't the mlist2 format much older than YAMN? How come?
>>

>Yes its older. Everything about Mixmaster is older than YAMN. Why Zax
>chose to use mlist2.txt for YAMN is a question he would have to answer.

But can you tell me, why the mlist2 format, though it may be created for
Mixmaster, can't be used by that program?

Re: Mixmaster statistics version

<skkhd3$2e9$1@news.mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10083&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#10083

From: nob...@remailer.paranoici.org (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 14:20:03 -0500
 by: Anonymous - Mon, 18 Oct 2021 19:20 UTC

> SEC3 <admin@sec3.net> wrote:

>>> But isn't the mlist2 format much older than YAMN? How come?
>>>

>> Yes its older. Everything about Mixmaster is older than YAMN. Why
Zax
>> chose to use mlist2.txt for YAMN is a question he would have to
answer.

> But can you tell me, why the mlist2 format, though it may be
created for
> Mixmaster, can't be used by that program?

Simply because yamn wasn't designed to use mlist2.

Re: Mixmaster statistics version

<rkkbJ.737889$QHsf.18692@fx12.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10085&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#10085

From: adm...@sec3.net (SEC3)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 15:57:09 -0400
 by: SEC3 - Mon, 18 Oct 2021 19:57 UTC

On 2021-10-18 2:13 p.m., Nomen Nescio wrote:

>>> But isn't the mlist2 format much older than YAMN? How come?
>>>

>> Yes its older. Everything about Mixmaster is older than YAMN. Why Zax
>> chose to use mlist2.txt for YAMN is a question he would have to answer.
>
> But can you tell me, why the mlist2 format, though it may be created for
> Mixmaster, can't be used by that program?

Now you are asking about Echolot the pinger software. Echolot has been
around for a long time. It has, over the years, served as the stats and
keys generator for many different remailer clients. Not just Mixmaster.
There has been Jack B Nymble, Reliable. QL, QSL, Omnimix, Mixminion, and
others I may have forgotten.

In retrospect Echolot's creator Peter Palfrader was wise to create many
different file templates for stats and key publishing. Client authors
could then pick and choose the templates that fit their unique client.
HTML or plain text, rlist or rlist2 templates, mlist or mlist2
templates. The more choices offered the more freedom was granted to the
remailer client creators.

--
SEC3

YAMN Tutorials - https:/www.sec3.net/yamnhelp/

Re: Mixmaster statistics version

<2c0d00460b75da6f8d4fd8753053614e@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10089&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#10089

From: nob...@dizum.com (Nomen Nescio)
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 23:23:33 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Nomen Nescio - Mon, 18 Oct 2021 21:23 UTC

On Mon, 18 Oct 2021 15:57:09 -0400, in article
<rkkbJ.737889$QHsf.18692@fx12.ams1> SEC3 <admin@sec3.net> wrote:

>>> Yes its older. Everything about Mixmaster is older than YAMN. Why Zax
>>> chose to use mlist2.txt for YAMN is a question he would have to answer.
>>
>> But can you tell me, why the mlist2 format, though it may be created for
>> Mixmaster, can't be used by that program?
>
>Now you are asking about Echolot the pinger software. Echolot has been
>around for a long time. It has, over the years, served as the stats and
>keys generator for many different remailer clients. Not just Mixmaster.
>There has been Jack B Nymble, Reliable. QL, QSL, Omnimix, Mixminion, and
>others I may have forgotten.
>
>In retrospect Echolot's creator Peter Palfrader was wise to create many
>different file templates for stats and key publishing. Client authors
>could then pick and choose the templates that fit their unique client.
>HTML or plain text, rlist or rlist2 templates, mlist or mlist2
>templates. The more choices offered the more freedom was granted to the
>remailer client creators.

So not every statistics format was tailored for a specific application.
Thanks for that clarification.

Re: Mixmaster statistics version

<slrnsmrqic.iho.elvis-85792@notatla.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10090&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#10090

Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
From: elvis-85...@notatla.org.uk
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 21:42:36 GMT
 by: elvis-85...@notatla.org.uk - Mon, 18 Oct 2021 21:42 UTC

> Now you are asking about Echolot the pinger software. Echolot has been
> around for a long time. It has, over the years, served as the stats and
> keys generator for many different remailer clients. Not just Mixmaster.
> There has been Jack B Nymble, Reliable. QL, QSL, Omnimix, Mixminion, and
> others I may have forgotten.

I was under the impression mixminion was never finished
to the point of entering use.

computers / alt.privacy.anon-server / Mixmaster statistics version