Adding features does not necessarily increase functionality -- it just makes the manuals thicker.

computers / alt.privacy.anon-server / Question re: hsub

SubjectAuthor
* Question re: hsubabo henry
+- Re: Question re: hsubYamn Remailer
`* Re: Question re: hsubSEC3
 `* Re: Question re: hsubabo henry
  +- Re: Question re: hsubGrant Taylor
  `* Re: Question re: hsubSEC3
   `* Re: Question re: hsubSEC3
    +- Re: Question re: hsubYamn Remailer
    `* Re: Question re: hsubSEC3
     `* Re: Question re: hsubabo henry
      `* Re: Question re: hsubSEC3
       `* Re: Question re: hsubabo henry
        `* Re: Question re: hsubSEC3
         `* Re: Question re: hsubabo henry
          `- Re: Question re: hsubAnonymous Remailer

1
Question re: hsub

<3474872f23504c6ff765ed58383d5eb4@msgid.frell.theremailer.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11345&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#11345

From: boneh...@smokegreen.com (abo henry)
Subject: Question re: hsub
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 05:48:34 +0100
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: abo henry - Thu, 20 Jan 2022 04:48 UTC

I would like to use a custom from: header and looking at
paranoici.org stats, this is available with frell, dizum and hsub.
Because hsub is the only config of these (parnoici.org thesaurus)
which doesn't block the alt.binaries hierarchy, where I want to
post, I wanted to try hsub as exit with a custom from:

Using both paranoici and sec3 stats QSL tells me in both cases when
I try to send that hsub *doesn't exist*. That isn't correct
because the thesaurus tells me there are hundreds of messages sent
by hsub up to today.

I'm missing something fundamental here, maybe that hsub is Type I -
I don't know. Try not to laugh, I'm good at other things but
definite layman regarding remailers. Any help please? Can hsub be
used with custom from: header to binaries heirarchy and if so, can
a working template be suggested?

Re: Question re: hsub

<20220120.114648.0cfd2fb2@mix1.remailer.xyz>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11346&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#11346

Subject: Re: Question re: hsub
From: nore...@mix1.remailer.xyz (Yamn Remailer)
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 11:46:48 +0100
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Yamn Remailer - Thu, 20 Jan 2022 10:46 UTC

On 1/19/2022 10:48 PM, abo henry wrote:

> I would like to use a custom from: header and looking at
> paranoici.org stats, this is available with frell, dizum and hsub.
> Because hsub is the only config of these (parnoici.org thesaurus)
> which doesn't block the alt.binaries hierarchy, where I want to
> post, I wanted to try hsub as exit with a custom from:
>
> Using both paranoici and sec3 stats QSL tells me in both cases when
> I try to send that hsub *doesn't exist*. That isn't correct
> because the thesaurus tells me there are hundreds of messages sent
> by hsub up to today.
>
> I'm missing something fundamental here, maybe that hsub is Type I -
> I don't know. Try not to laugh, I'm good at other things but
> definite layman regarding remailers. Any help please? Can hsub be
> used with custom from: header to binaries heirarchy and if so, can
> a working template be suggested?

In order to achieve custom from headers, frell and dizum are all we have.

Re: Question re: hsub

<s3eGJ.134261$0Kl7.94833@fx11.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11347&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#11347

Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
From: adm...@sec3.net (SEC3)
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 09:10:31 -0500
 by: SEC3 - Thu, 20 Jan 2022 14:10 UTC

On 2022-01-19 11:48 p.m., abo henry wrote:

> Using both paranoici and sec3 stats ...

sec3 stats no longer exists. Your QSL needs to be updated with new stats
sources. Here is the latest allpingers.txt:

<https://raw.githubusercontent.com/sec3pinger/allpingers/master/allpingers.txt>

Mixmin and tincture are both good stats sources you may use.

As for posting binaries through the remailer network I wouldn't
recommend it. It wasn't designed for moving large files.

--
SEC3

YAMN Tutorials - https://sec3.net/yamnhelp

Re: Question re: hsub

<a0b4b57301c75a112db778622cc52126@msgid.frell.theremailer.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11356&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#11356

From: boneh...@smokegreen.com (abo henry)
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 02:40:24 +0100
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: abo henry - Fri, 21 Jan 2022 01:40 UTC

Thanks for the response - I'm already using raw*** and mixmin and I
already noted hsub's absence in QSL's remailer caps. My confusion
arose because paranoici thesaurus still shows hsub config and I
assumed paranoici was stable and up to date (thanks for the info
that your stats are defunct). For the record, I didn't want to
post binaries - I wanted to post only *text* to binaries -
specifically, text requests for military history epub, mobi and
pdf's to three of the e-book binary groups.

hsub must have blinked out of existence at some point and I failed
to pick that up on searches through APAS. It must have operated at
some point though. I assume frell and dizum have blocked the
entire binaries heirarchy to stop what you mistakenly inferred I
wanted to do - posting binaries. More havoc can be caused by anon
emails than by posting text to binaries as many defunct exits know,
especially in 5 eyes nations. The design and intent of the network
precludes posting binaries anyhow, so blocking the entire heirarchy
on that basis seems superfluous. Presumably there's another
reason...

Re: Question re: hsub

<ssd7lt$736$1@tncsrv09.home.tnetconsulting.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11357&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#11357

From: gtay...@tnetconsulting.net (Grant Taylor)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 20:01:22 -0700
 by: Grant Taylor - Fri, 21 Jan 2022 03:01 UTC

On 1/20/22 6:40 PM, abo henry wrote:
> so blocking the entire heirarchy on that basis seems superfluous.
> Presumably there's another reason...

As a news server operator & administrator, I can tell you that blocking
hierarchies that are the most likely location for binaries has a
tremendous savings on the news server. Yes, there are other ways, e.g.
content analysis, but they have various detractors, not the least of
which is that you may need to accept articles that you will ultimately
block, thus have wasted bandwidth. So, blocking the newsgroups /
hierarchies is a shortcut.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

Re: Question re: hsub

<YtqGJ.18673$wMI.14127@fx03.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11358&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#11358

Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
From: adm...@sec3.net (SEC3)
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 23:17:59 -0500
 by: SEC3 - Fri, 21 Jan 2022 04:17 UTC

On 2022-01-20 8:40 p.m., abo henry wrote:
> hsub must have blinked out of existence at some point and I failed
> to pick that up on searches through APAS.

No. Hsub Remailer still exits and does appear in Paranoici Stats and
other pingers as well. It is a cypherpunk remailer. Not a mixmaster
remailer. So you have to look for it in rlist.txt or rlist.html.

<https://remailer.paranoici.org/stats/rlist.txt>

--
SEC3

YAMN Tutorials - https://sec3.net/yamnhelp

Re: Question re: hsub

<enBGJ.75727$uVO3.56150@fx02.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11361&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#11361

Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
From: adm...@sec3.net (SEC3)
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 11:41:45 -0500
 by: SEC3 - Fri, 21 Jan 2022 16:41 UTC

On 2022-01-20 23:17, SEC3 wrote:
> On 2022-01-20 8:40 p.m., abo henry wrote:
>> hsub must have blinked out of existence at some point and I failed
>> to pick that up on searches through APAS.
>
> No. Hsub Remailer still exits and does appear in Paranoici Stats and
> other pingers as well. It is a cypherpunk remailer. Not a mixmaster
> remailer. So you have to look for it in rlist.txt or rlist.html.
>
> <https://remailer.paranoici.org/stats/rlist.txt>

My apologies for that misleading typo above. I wrote:

"Hsub Remailer still exits"

What I meant to write was:

"Hsub remailer still exists."

All this is moot, however, if your intention was to use Hsub remailer as
your exit remailer. It is not an exit. It is a middle. And always has
been, I believe.

--
SEC3

YAMN Tutorials - https://sec3.net/yamnhelp

Re: Question re: hsub

<20220122.000012.7178d5be@mix2.remailer.xyz>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11363&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#11363

Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 00:00:12 +0100
From: nore...@mix2.remailer.xyz (Yamn Remailer)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Yamn Remailer - Fri, 21 Jan 2022 23:00 UTC

On 1/21/2022 10:41 AM, SEC3 wrote:

> On 2022-01-20 23:17, SEC3 wrote:
>> On 2022-01-20 8:40 p.m., abo henry wrote:
>>> hsub must have blinked out of existence at some point and I failed
>>> to pick that up on searches through APAS.
>>
>> No. Hsub Remailer still exits and does appear in Paranoici Stats and
>> other pingers as well. It is a cypherpunk remailer. Not a mixmaster
>> remailer. So you have to look for it in rlist.txt or rlist.html.
>>
>> <https://remailer.paranoici.org/stats/rlist.txt>
>>

> My apologies for that misleading typo above. I wrote:
>
> "Hsub Remailer still exits"
>
> What I meant to write was:
>
> "Hsub remailer still exists."
>
> All this is moot, however, if your intention was to use Hsub remailer as
> your exit remailer. It is not an exit. It is a middle. And always has
> been, I believe.

Thanks, SEC3.

Hsub has always been middle.

Re: Question re: hsub

<_PIGJ.481766$SVq5.14272@fx14.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11364&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#11364

Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
From: adm...@sec3.net (SEC3)
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 20:10:17 -0500
 by: SEC3 - Sat, 22 Jan 2022 01:10 UTC

On 2022-01-21 11:41, SEC3 wrote:
> On 2022-01-20 23:17, SEC3 wrote:
>> On 2022-01-20 8:40 p.m., abo henry wrote:
>>> hsub must have blinked out of existence at some point and I failed
>>> to pick that up on searches through APAS.
>>
>> No. Hsub Remailer still exits and does appear in Paranoici Stats and
>> other pingers as well. It is a cypherpunk remailer. Not a mixmaster
>> remailer. So you have to look for it in rlist.txt or rlist.html.
>>
>> <https://remailer.paranoici.org/stats/rlist.txt>
>>

> My apologies for that misleading typo above. I wrote:
>
> "Hsub Remailer still exits"
>
> What I meant to write was:
>
> "Hsub remailer still exists."
>
> All this is moot, however, if your intention was to use Hsub remailer as
> your exit remailer. It is not an exit. It is a middle. And always has
> been, I believe.

Sorry, I was wrong about Hsub. It *is* an exit remailer. Lol. I'm
embarrassed.

--
SEC3

YAMN Tutorials - https://sec3.net/yamnhelp

Re: Question re: hsub

<dfbe840b4155bbd0bad30dee42a0e6ec@msgid.frell.theremailer.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11367&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#11367

From: boneh...@smokegreen.com (abo henry)
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 11:44:29 +0100
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: abo henry - Sat, 22 Jan 2022 10:44 UTC

That's what I thought. No need for embarrassment, it's probably
been a while since anyone enquired about hsub. You've given me
some points for research - cypherpunk -v- mixmaster. I'm pretty
rusty on that.

You seem to be the helpful type. Can I ask some specific questions
you might be able to help me out with:

1. Can I configure QSL to send *cypherpunk* chain of remailers
exiting with hsub? If so, how?
2. Can hsub exit to a M2N service?
3. Paranoici thesaurus config for hsub shows no blocking of any
heirarchies nor any groups - therefore, if the answers to 1. and 2.
above are affirmative, I should be able to post text to binary
groups.

Thanks for your help on this.

Re: Question re: hsub

<4NVGJ.410491$onI5.399182@fx13.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11370&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#11370

From: adm...@sec3.net (SEC3)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 10:54:40 -0500
 by: SEC3 - Sat, 22 Jan 2022 15:54 UTC

On 2022-01-22 05:44, abo henry wrote:
> That's what I thought. No need for embarrassment, it's probably
> been a while since anyone enquired about hsub. You've given me
> some points for research - cypherpunk -v- mixmaster. I'm pretty
> rusty on that.
>
> You seem to be the helpful type. Can I ask some specific questions
> you might be able to help me out with:
>
> 1. Can I configure QSL to send *cypherpunk* chain of remailers
> exiting with hsub? If so, how?

I'm not sure how to create a cypherpunk chain in QSL. There are so few
cpunk remailers to work with anyway. QSL was intend primarily for
Mixmaster remailers. If it was my I would uses QSL to send your message
to hsub@mixmaster.mixmin.net through a chain of 3 or 4 mixmaster
remailers. E.g.

paranoia,*,*,dizum ==> hsub@mixmaster.mixmin.net

The message you insert into QSL's compose window to send to
hsub@mixmaster.mixmin.net would first need to be PGP-encrypted with
hsub's public key. It's configuration is pgponly. So it will only
process messages that are PGP-encrypted.

You would do that encryption outside of the QSL program (using GPG4Win
or whatever PGP app you use.) You would create something like this in a
text editor and then encrypt it with Hsub's public key:

============
To: mail2news@m2n.mixmin.net
From: anonymous@anonymous.com
Subject: your subject goes here
Newsgroups: alt.testing

Your message here.

============

You also would need to append this bit of text to the top of the
encrypted message. Cypherpunk remailers like Hsub expect it to be there:

::
Encrypted: PGP

> 2. Can hsub exit to a M2N service?

Yes.

> 3. Paranoici thesaurus config for hsub shows no blocking of any
> heirarchies nor any groups - therefore, if the answers to 1. and 2.
> above are affirmative, I should be able to post text to binary
> groups.

Yes. that should work just fine.

--
SEC3

YAMN Tutorials - https://sec3.net/yamnhelp

Re: Question re: hsub

<dc0ef50c1cf0ac47c8d8ba8b565b8a3e@msgid.frell.theremailer.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11395&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#11395

From: boneh...@smokegreen.com (abo henry)
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 12:46:32 +0100
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: abo henry - Tue, 25 Jan 2022 11:46 UTC

Thank you very much for the information and your tips. I'll put
some focus on your advice and generate a template very soon, but in
the meantime, I wonder - can you confirm whether hsub does permit
custom From: headers in the same manner as Frell, notwithstanding
hsub is cypherpunk?

Paranoici stats shows:

"User Supplied From: Headers
If a message sent with a user supplied From header differs from one
without, the remailer is listed here. The difference can either be
an additional disclaimer, actually allowing (partial) From headers,
etc.

nick Disclaimer From Line type
dizum Echolot Pinger <echolot@remailer.paranoici.org> cpunk-dsa, mix
frell Echolot Pinger <echolot@remailer.paranoici.org> cpunk-dsa, mix
hsub Echolot Pinger <echolot@remailer.paranoici.org> cpunk-dsa"

When I can re-learn PGP encryption and follow your steps in your
explanatory, I'll try out a custom From: with hsub to a binary test
group and see what happens in any case. It might just be a partial
or something or full custom...

Thanks again for your help on this. You're an APAS stanchion.
Best regards.

Re: Question re: hsub

<0sTHJ.344176$Fpb6.115840@fx12.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11398&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#11398

Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
From: adm...@sec3.net (SEC3)
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 09:04:43 -0500
 by: SEC3 - Tue, 25 Jan 2022 14:04 UTC

On 2022-01-25 06:46, abo henry wrote:
> Thank you very much for the information and your tips. I'll put
> some focus on your advice and generate a template very soon, but in
> the meantime, I wonder - can you confirm whether hsub does permit
> custom From: headers in the same manner as Frell, notwithstanding
> hsub is cypherpunk?

Yes, Hsub remailer claims to support custom From headers. But I've never
used it myself. Everybody seems to use Frell for that. In fact someone
recently posted their QSL template for doing that with Frell. Note the
inclusion of 2 different From: lines.

<https://groups.google.com/g/alt.privacy.anon-server/c/EoOua4Z849Q/m/s3du2qC-EQAJ>

> When I can re-learn PGP encryption and follow your steps in your
> explanatory, I'll try out a custom From: with hsub to a binary test
> group and see what happens in any case. It might just be a partial
> or something or full custom...
>
> Thanks again for your help on this. You're an APAS stanchion.
> Best regards.

You're welcome. I'm glad I could help.

--
SEC3

YAMN Tutorials - https://sec3.net/yamnhelp

Re: Question re: hsub

<a64754cd1b546649c40d7868da9ddf58@msgid.frell.theremailer.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11418&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#11418

From: boneh...@smokegreen.com (abo henry)
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2022 07:43:56 +0100
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: abo henry - Thu, 27 Jan 2022 06:43 UTC

Lol, have a gander at my message-ID: I've been using QSL/Frell for
this entire thread. Abo Henry is an infamous Australian crook and
Australia is 5 Eyes with perfidious snooping into every crevice, my
nick being therefore apropos.

I guess I'll just use the same template as I'm using now plus the
pgp encryption message standard when I re-research my old, faded
pgp skills (the last version I used was PGPWin v9.00 many years
ago, things have changed - I rely a lot nowdays on a great non-5/12
eyes VPN with many, many non-virtual servers across the world).

Frell is reliable and great - for non-binaries hierarchies. As I
said, I want to post text to binaries, therefore Frell will be of
no use at all. Hsub will hopefully assist. I guess I could ping
Zax but I don't want to unnecessarily rouse any of the elder gods...

Re: Question re: hsub

<20220127.165929.aa26e7ab@mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11420&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#11420

Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2022 16:59:29 +0000
From: remai...@domain.invalid (Anonymous Remailer)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Anonymous Remailer - Thu, 27 Jan 2022 16:59 UTC

On 1/27/2022 12:43 AM, abo henry wrote:

> Lol, have a gander at my message-ID: I've been using QSL/Frell for
> this entire thread. Abo Henry is an infamous Australian crook and
> Australia is 5 Eyes with perfidious snooping into every crevice, my
> nick being therefore apropos.
>
> I guess I'll just use the same template as I'm using now plus the
> pgp encryption message standard when I re-research my old, faded
> pgp skills (the last version I used was PGPWin v9.00 many years
> ago, things have changed - I rely a lot nowdays on a great non-5/12
> eyes VPN with many, many non-virtual servers across the world).
>
> Frell is reliable and great - for non-binaries hierarchies. As I
> said, I want to post text to binaries, therefore Frell will be of
> no use at all. Hsub will hopefully assist. I guess I could ping
> Zax but I don't want to unnecessarily rouse any of the elder gods...

Do let us know if you manage to get your shit in one pile.

Good luck.

computers / alt.privacy.anon-server / Question re: hsub