From: nob...@dizum.com (Nomen Nescio)
Subject: Have Any Of The Major Password Managers Ever Been Cracked?
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 03:26:22 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Nomen Nescio - Thu, 13 Jan 2022 02:26 UTC

What makes seemingly everyone trust them?

Re: Have Any Of The Major Password Managers Ever Been Cracked?

<20220113.142307.84fd6d28@remailer.frell.eu.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11289&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#11289

From: fri...@spamexpire-202201.rodent.frell.theremailer.net (Fritz Wuehler)
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 14:23:07 +0100
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Fritz Wuehler - Thu, 13 Jan 2022 13:23 UTC

On 1/12/2022 8:26 PM, Nomen Nescio wrote:

> What makes seemingly everyone trust them?

Because everyone is looking for convenience.

I use:

https://bitwarden.com/

At the end of the day, you either use a password manager or you write
your passwords on paper and store it in a secure location which is
probably the most secure anyway.

Re: Have Any Of The Major Password Managers Ever Been Cracked?

<428529d649005f63ea7ca5cfdfe93272@remailer.privacy.at>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11301&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#11301

From: mixmas...@remailer.privacy.at (Anonymous Remailer (austria))
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 22:21:12 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Anonymous Remailer ( - Thu, 13 Jan 2022 21:21 UTC

In article <20220113.142307.84fd6d28@remailer.frell.eu.org>
Fritz Wuehler <fritz@spamexpire-
202201.rodent.frell.theremailer.net> wrote:

> On 1/12/2022 8:26 PM, Nomen Nescio wrote:
>
> > What makes seemingly everyone trust them?
> >

> Because everyone is looking for convenience.
>
> I use:
>
> https://bitwarden.com/
>
> At the end of the day, you either use a password manager or you write
> your passwords on paper and store it in a secure location which is
> probably the most secure anyway.

As soon as you abdicate your credentials / passwords to a 3rd
party, no matter how secure they are, you have voluntarily
compromised them.

Re: Have Any Of The Major Password Managers Ever Been Cracked?

<8979a0cda778233549f4a575b1fb138e@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11304&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#11304

From: nob...@dizum.com (Nomen Nescio)
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2022 00:03:57 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Nomen Nescio - Thu, 13 Jan 2022 23:03 UTC

In article <428529d649005f63ea7ca5cfdfe93272@remailer.privacy.at>
"Anonymous Remailer (austria)" <mixmaster@remailer.privacy.at> wrote:

> In article <20220113.142307.84fd6d28@remailer.frell.eu.org>
> Fritz Wuehler <fritz@spamexpire-
> 202201.rodent.frell.theremailer.net> wrote:
> >
> > On 1/12/2022 8:26 PM, Nomen Nescio wrote:
> >
> > > What makes seemingly everyone trust them?
> > >

> > Because everyone is looking for convenience.
> >
> > I use:
> >
> > https://bitwarden.com/
> >
> > At the end of the day, you either use a password manager or you write
> > your passwords on paper and store it in a secure location which is
> > probably the most secure anyway.
>
> As soon as you abdicate your credentials / passwords to a 3rd
> party, no matter how secure they are, you have voluntarily
> compromised them.

I kept my passwords in a PGP Read Only Text file. But I do have a
plain text, unencoded copy stored inside my 6 foot tall, 1500 lb gun
safe.

Perfection isn't possible. You just have to settle for what's
reasonable.

Oh, yeah...the PGP file is encoded with a multi, multi long
passphrase, not password. This passphrase - for me - is easily
remembered.

I never would trust any password manager.

Here are a few other precautions I take against Windows' habit of
saving stuff it shouldn't be saving.

I use MRU cleaner, CCleaner and Privazer to clean up the C: drive. I
then use Directory Investigator to search for a single peculiar
misspelled word that exists in my passphrase. If it is anywhere on the
C:, DI will find it.

Another great method that protects me is that I use Tool Wiz's Time
Freeze as a sandbox to protect the C:. Anything written to it while
using the sandbox is discarded on reboot.

This has worked for me for quite a few years.

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention that my rare "Winnie The Pooh Does
Dallas" video is well protected in a TrueCrypt container. Don't even
try to crack it. :o(

Re: Have Any Of The Major Password Managers Ever Been Cracked?

<20220114.001449.44ae6332@yamn.paranoici.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11305&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#11305

Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2022 00:14:49 +0100
From: nob...@yamn.paranoici.org (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Anonymous - Thu, 13 Jan 2022 23:14 UTC

On 1/13/2022 3:21 PM, Anonymous Remailer (austria) wrote:

> In article <20220113.142307.84fd6d28@remailer.frell.eu.org>
> Fritz Wuehler <fritz@spamexpire-
> 202201.rodent.frell.theremailer.net> wrote:
>>
>> On 1/12/2022 8:26 PM, Nomen Nescio wrote:
>>
>>> What makes seemingly everyone trust them?
>>>

>> Because everyone is looking for convenience.
>>
>> I use:
>>
>> https://bitwarden.com/
>>
>> At the end of the day, you either use a password manager or you write
>> your passwords on paper and store it in a secure location which is
>> probably the most secure anyway.
>
> As soon as you abdicate your credentials / passwords to a 3rd
> party, no matter how secure they are, you have voluntarily
> compromised them.

Absolutely true.

So how do you store your passwords?

Re: Have Any Of The Major Password Managers Ever Been Cracked?

<ef61e3a7-6bae-426b-9d12-2efc28e29437n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11312&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#11312

Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2022 11:39:47 -0800 (PST)
From: spam.tra...@gmail.com (Stefan Claas)
 by: Stefan Claas - Fri, 14 Jan 2022 19:39 UTC

On Friday, January 14, 2022 at 12:14:51 AM UTC+1, Anonymous wrote:
> On 1/13/2022 3:21 PM, Anonymous Remailer (austria) wrote:
>
> > In article <20220113.142...@remailer.frell.eu.org>
> > Fritz Wuehler <fritz@spamexpire-
> > 202201.rodent.frell.theremailer.net> wrote:

> >> Because everyone is looking for convenience.
> >>
> >> I use:
> >>
> >> https://bitwarden.com/
> >>
> >> At the end of the day, you either use a password manager or you write
> >> your passwords on paper and store it in a secure location which is
> >> probably the most secure anyway.
> >
> > As soon as you abdicate your credentials / passwords to a 3rd
> > party, no matter how secure they are, you have voluntarily
> > compromised them.
> >
> Absolutely true.
>
> So how do you store your passwords?

Probably a good way is to use local sandboxed services only with your friends
and colleagues, while using a key derivation function for used passwords, which
you can store in your head.

Regards
Stefan

Re: Have Any Of The Major Password Managers Ever Been Cracked?

<f8f63299c7e30b95bccaf0c40c9ce40a@remailer.privacy.at>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11352&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#11352

From: mixmas...@remailer.privacy.at (Anonymous Remailer (austria))
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 23:06:04 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Anonymous Remailer ( - Thu, 20 Jan 2022 22:06 UTC

In article <20220114.001449.44ae6332@yamn.paranoici.org>
Anonymous <nobody@yamn.paranoici.org> wrote:

> On 1/13/2022 3:21 PM, Anonymous Remailer (austria) wrote:
>
> > In article <20220113.142307.84fd6d28@remailer.frell.eu.org>
> > Fritz Wuehler <fritz@spamexpire-
> > 202201.rodent.frell.theremailer.net> wrote:

> >> Because everyone is looking for convenience.
> >>
> >> I use:
> >>
> >> https://bitwarden.com/
> >>
> >> At the end of the day, you either use a password manager or you write
> >> your passwords on paper and store it in a secure location which is
> >> probably the most secure anyway.
> >
> > As soon as you abdicate your credentials / passwords to a 3rd
> > party, no matter how secure they are, you have voluntarily
> > compromised them.
> >

> Absolutely true.
>
> So how do you store your passwords?

Ordinary text file compressed in a .zip file with password.

Safe enough to protect it from most. I'll be years beyond
caring by the time anyone cracks it. If I don't touch my
computer for more than a week, the file name, location, and
password will be emailed to an "executor".

Re: Have Any Of The Major Password Managers Ever Been Cracked?

<20220121.001209.7613ae27@mix1.remailer.xyz>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11353&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#11353

Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 00:12:09 +0100
From: nore...@mix1.remailer.xyz (Yamn Remailer)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Yamn Remailer - Thu, 20 Jan 2022 23:12 UTC

On 1/20/2022 4:06 PM, Anonymous Remailer (austria) wrote:

> Ordinary text file compressed in a .zip file with password.
>
> Safe enough to protect it from most. I'll be years beyond
> caring by the time anyone cracks it. If I don't touch my
> computer for more than a week, the file name, location, and
> password will be emailed to an "executor".

So what happens when your HD fails and you can't access your backup?

computers / alt.privacy.anon-server / Re: Have Any Of The Major Password Managers Ever Been Cracked?