From: nob...@remailer.paranoici.org (Anonymous)
Subject: A MODEST PROPOSAL
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2023 17:56:14 +0000 (UTC)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Anonymous - Wed, 1 Feb 2023 17:56 UTC

Because the problem on news.mixmin.net server
I think that could be useful if the one who found a
news server working well with OMNIMIX+mailclient+newsreader
he signale on this group how to modify the configuration
on OMNIMIX tabs to do in order to use this news server:

News/Server/Host ?
SSL ?
port 119 ?

and
Hamster/ExtSvr/Host ?
SSL ?
port 119 ?

And the news client login configuration:
In MesNews mixmin worked in this way:
login: omnimix;ht=news.mixmin.net;pt=119;tl=e;to=no
password: omnimix

And, if useful, mail client.

In this way we will have a list of news server and configuration
for each server,
useful in the future, when e server fail.
It is true that everyone could try all the possible combination of
port, ssl, tor,
but this can last hours or days of attempts and frustration.

Re: A MODEST PROPOSAL

<125557697c4ed7f535c81b1bbd050d70@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13520&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#13520

From: joh...@oilsales.fr (Johan Biden)
Subject: Re: A MODEST PROPOSAL
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2023 02:29:34 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Johan Biden - Thu, 2 Feb 2023 01:29 UTC

On 01 Feb 2023, Anonymous <nobody@remailer.paranoici.org> posted some

> Because the problem on news.mixmin.net server
> I think that could be useful if the one who found a
> news server working well with OMNIMIX+mailclient+newsreader
> he signale on this group how to modify the configuration
> on OMNIMIX tabs to do in order to use this news server:
>
> News/Server/Host ?
> SSL ?
> port 119 ?
>
> and
> Hamster/ExtSvr/Host ?
> SSL ?
> port 119 ?
>
> And the news client login configuration:
> In MesNews mixmin worked in this way:
> login: omnimix;ht=news.mixmin.net;pt=119;tl=e;to=no
> password: omnimix
>
> And, if useful, mail client.
>
> In this way we will have a list of news server and configuration
> for each server,
> useful in the future, when e server fail.
> It is true that everyone could try all the possible combination of
> port, ssl, tor,
> but this can last hours or days of attempts and frustration.

You know what the problem is?

Excessive over configuration and in multiple cases, failure to alter one
single important parameter on the command line.

That information is in the OmniMix help file on the OmniMix website and
easily located.

Highly recommend reading it before making any changes.

For you lazy chattes who detest reading, the easiest change is simply
modifying the news server name in the string. If it doesn't work for the
server you have chosen, look to the end.

Re: A MODEST PROPOSAL

<bda5c5744bb82f585371989e7ba19cea@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13523&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#13523

From: nob...@dizum.com (Nomen Nescio)
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2023 11:35:53 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Nomen Nescio - Thu, 2 Feb 2023 10:35 UTC

> For you lazy chattes who detest reading, the easiest change is simply
> modifying the news server name in the string. If it doesn't work for the
> server you have chosen, look to the end.

I read the help, I thought I had to change the news server everywhere,
Omnimix is a great program but it has so many tabs and it is not so
simple.
With neodome news server now it seems I can continue to use my nyms and
the newsgroups.

Re: A MODEST PROPOSAL

<c3e90f5e70ecf95bc2e195712ac54c25@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13529&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#13529

From: nob...@dizum.com (Nomen Nescio)
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2023 13:16:02 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Nomen Nescio - Thu, 2 Feb 2023 12:16 UTC

> For you lazy chattes who detest reading, the easiest change is simply
> modifying the news server name in the string. If it doesn't work for the
> server you have chosen, look to the end.

It is right to read instructions before modify.
But it is not so simple to choose how to modify.
For example in the newsreader client you consider the string

omnimix;ht=news.nameofserver.net;pt=119;tl= ? ;to= ?

It is not simple to know what put in tl=? and in to=?
and in pt=119 if a news server use another port it is not
simple for a user to find all the right parameters for each news
server.
Yes, the user could try one modification at time.

Re: A MODEST PROPOSAL

<97b3c5d6a58ae7ffc34c822fcd3bf7fe@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13539&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#13539

From: ano...@invalid.info (anon)
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2023 21:07:50 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: anon - Thu, 2 Feb 2023 20:07 UTC

On 02 Feb 2023, Nomen Nescio <nobody@dizum.com> posted some

>> For you lazy chattes who detest reading, the easiest change is simply
>> modifying the news server name in the string. If it doesn't work for
>> the server you have chosen, look to the end.
>
> It is right to read instructions before modify.
> But it is not so simple to choose how to modify.
> For example in the newsreader client you consider the string
>
> omnimix;ht=news.nameofserver.net;pt=119;tl= ? ;to= ?
>
> It is not simple to know what put in tl=? and in to=?
> and in pt=119 if a news server use another port it is not
> simple for a user to find all the right parameters for each news
> server.
> Yes, the user could try one modification at time.

I will invite your attention to the online help, OmniMix � Tutorial �
Configuration � Client � Thunderbird � News.

https://www.danner-net.de/omom/index.htm

The information on that page is sufficient for anybody to set up a usenet
client in one shot. OmniMix requires no additional configuration to set
this up. Couldn't be easier.

I can set up a perfectly functioning xnews news reader configuration in 5
seconds using that information.

If you've ever set up an additional SMTP host on OmniMix, the remaining
two parameters are glaringly clear.

Personally I've added all the remailers, tested them to see which ones
will work for entry, and enabled random for best reliability.

computers / alt.privacy.anon-server / Re: A MODEST PROPOSAL