From: anonym...@none.invalid (anonymous)
Subject: Will the Tor bug affect OmniMix?
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2023 11:27:13 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: anonymous - Thu, 16 Nov 2023 10:27 UTC

TROVE-2023-006

Re: Will the Tor bug affect OmniMix?

<f5bd0db3c9d081564d0f9f0b6a8f7e7e@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15806&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#15806

From: J...@M (D)
Subject: Re: Will the Tor bug affect OmniMix?
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2023 13:58:22 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: D - Thu, 16 Nov 2023 12:58 UTC

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=TROVE-2023-006
>..."remote triggerable assert on onion services"

yet another reminder to be careful, always use remailers, and
never rely solely on tor, vpn, or any other means for sending
unencrypted messages . . . tor is an added layer of anonymity

Re: Will the Tor bug affect OmniMix?

<20231117.091749.60f78fc9@yamn.paranoici.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15817&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#15817

From: nob...@yamn.paranoici.org (Anonymous)
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2023 09:17:49 +0000
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Anonymous - Fri, 17 Nov 2023 09:17 UTC

In article <3616e5b16f3c6e66ada904e7279165dc@dizum.com> anonymous wrote:

> TROVE-2023-006

AFAICS only if you run a TorPlus (TorIP/TorFile) .onion service.

Re: Will the Tor bug affect OmniMix?

<be3ff154764995876a7bfecc73599457@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15820&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#15820

From: J...@M (D)
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2023 15:24:21 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: D - Fri, 17 Nov 2023 14:24 UTC

https://www.danner-net.de/omom/tutortorplus.htm
>OmniMix * Tutorial * Tor * TorPlus PreviousTopNext
>As already explained in the 'Tor' chapter, the Tor instance integrated
>in OmniMix is not only useful for client tasks. With its Hidden Service
>option it can also act as an intermediary between local services, even
>shielded behind a firewall, and any Tor client on the Internet, offering
>two key advantages. There's no need to know the server's IP address, and
>connections are inherently end-to-end encrypted from the client's to the
>server's Tor process.
>The two additional services OmniMix currently provides based on the Tor
>network are
>*TorIP to replace Dynamic DNS services and
>*TorFile to transfer even larger files anonymously.
>To run such a Tor Hidden Service you just need a server application,
>where data arriving at the service are forwarded to. With both, TorIP
>and TorFile, that has to be a web server using the HTTP protocol.
>That's why for using one of these services you first have to configure
>the TorPlus HTTP server at the target computer. Select the 'TorPlus' tab
>and within it the 'Server' tab, then check the 'Active' box. With 'IP'
>set to '127.0.0.1' or 'localhost' access to the server is only granted
>to clients on the local computer, with '0.0.0.0' or no entry at all
>there's no such restriction. As we want only the local Tor instance with
>its Hidden Service to connect with the web server, '127.0.0.1' is the
>right choice. The 'Port' number only has to be changed if the given one
>is already occupied. '80' is the web server standard port.
>After restarting the servers the 'H' (HTTP server) bulb of the indicator
>field has to turn green.
>As for anonymity reasons both these services as well as the OmniMix
>servers listen at different .onion addresses, each of them has to be
>activated and configured separately, which is done within the respective
>service's tab:
>In the Tor Configuration chapter we've already seen how to connect a
>Hidden Service with an internal server. Enter the external port you want
>the outer world to use when contacting your .onion address ('Port Ext':
>E.g. 80), point internal address and internal web server port to your
>(TorPlus) server ('Address Int': '127.0.0.1' or 'localhost' / 'Port Int':
>Usually 80), and activate the routing rule by checking 'Active'.
>After restarting Tor the given Hidden Service routing is activated and
>the service's .onion address shown in the 'HS Addr' field.
[end quote]

> [...]
>located within the transmitted webpage? You have to tell OmniMix the
>text preceding the address by filling it into the 'IP Prefix' field
>(including the space character between the prefix and the %IP%
>wildcard!). That's already set correctly and has only to be changed
>after modifying the server's HTML code. With the 'Active' box checked
>click 'Accept' to exit the dialog and create the list entry.
>Now we're nearly done. It only remains to start the client's name
>server to make the IP address networkwide available.
>To do that go to the 'IpLocNS' tab, decide whether you want to make the
>DNS service only accessible by the local computer or within the whole
>network ('IP' 127.0.0.1' resp. 'localhost' vs. '0.0.0.0' resp. no entry
>at all) and whether access through the standard DNS 'Port' ('53') is
>okay. And as not only TorIP addresses can be processed the name server
>has to know whether normal domain names also have to be resolved
>anonymously through the Tor network.
>Finally once again check the 'Activate' box and restart the OmniMix
>servers. In the indicator field the 'D' (DNS server) bulb has to turn
>green.
>Wanna test whether your TorIP system works? Then open a command line
>interface and play around with the 'nslookup' command. Use the syntax
>'nslookup -timeout=xxx host server', which means to look up the address
>of 'host' using the name server 'server' (here the local host with
>'127.0.0.1' as its IP address), aborting operation after the specified
>timeout interval (in milliseconds). Be aware that due to Tor routing
>and server-side IP address retrieval it can take a long time till the
>result is returned. So set your timeout values accordingly.
>Here a normal host gets resolved:
>g:\Programs\OmniMix>nslookup -timeout=20 danner-net.de 127.0.0.1
>Server: UnKnown
>Address: 127.0.0.1
>Name: danner-net.de
>Address: 88.198.16.165
>And now we try that with our TorIP target:
>g:\Programs\OmniMix>nslookup -timeout=20 myhomeserver 127.0.0.1
>Server: UnKnown
>Address: 127.0.0.1
>Name: myhomeserver
>Address: 84.151.4.39
>When the TorIP name server now receives a request to resolve a domain
>name it tries to locate that name in its 'Remote Servers List'. Finding
>it a connection with the targeted computer gets established through its
>.onion address and the webpage containing the IP address downloaded from
>the distant webserver. If the domain isn't on the TorIP list the name
>server contacts external name servers to resolve it. The result is then
>returned to the requesting client.
>You can follow that process at the client and server log list.
>Above you see what you get with a single OmniMix instance serving as
>client and targeted server. The 'T' and 'W' entries come from the server,
>the 'I', '>' and 'S' lines are from the client part.
[end quote]

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Will the Tor bug affect OmniMix?

<88b35cc43ce48baaab4aeb1c16045eac@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15827&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#15827

From: anonym...@none.invalid (anonymous)
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2023 07:40:51 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: anonymous - Sat, 18 Nov 2023 06:40 UTC

On 17 Nov 2023, Anonymous <nobody@yamn.paranoici.org> posted some

> In article <3616e5b16f3c6e66ada904e7279165dc@dizum.com> anonymous wrote:
>
>> TROVE-2023-006
>
> AFAICS only if you run a TorPlus (TorIP/TorFile) .onion service.

I do run an onion service for personal use and OmniMix uses a patched
version of Tor. I think I'll turn the service off until more is known.
For the record I haven't noticed any attempts to gain access.

computers / alt.privacy.anon-server / Re: Will the Tor bug affect OmniMix?