Subject: Bracket Match Not Found
From: Anonymous
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.helpdesk
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2020 02:09 UTC
From: Anonym...@novabbs.i2p (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.helpdesk
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2020 02:09:55 +0000
View all headers
Hey. If you read some of my previous posts, like "Notice: Undefined Variable" and "Notice: Undefined Variable (continued)", you know that I had some difficulty with code that I wrote. One problem mentioned is that I get no error logs when I remove the captcha parts of my code after fixing the _SESSION error and registering for an account with only a username and password, yet still not getting registered. I think I MAY have been able to find the main problem. Not completely sure, though.

When I opened my text editor and scrolled through the code, I noticed that the brackets in VALUES('' , '".$user_name."', '".$password."') was giving my text editor a 'Bracket Match Not Found'. This just so happens to be heavily linked to the inserting of the username and password to phpmyadmin and is the only line of code that got this error message. Coincidence? Maybe, maybe not.

For the millionth time, please note that the different {number}, {color}, {text}, {host}, {username}, {password}, and {database} brackets are supposed to represent different elements in my code that I believe aren't too necessary to type out and are also elements that I feel uncomfortable sharing. I put multiple hashtags around the main line of code that I think you should focus on. Also, if you need any additional information or clarification, then please feel free to ask. If you see why I'm getting this message, know of any possible reasons why I'm getting this message, and/or know how to fix this, then sharing would be much appreciated, as this line of code seems perfectly fine to me.

index.php:

<!doctype html>
<head>
*{margin:{number}px; padding:{number}px;}
#account{border-radius: {number}px {number}px {number}px {number}px; border: {number}px solid {color}; width:
{number}px; margin-top: {number}px; margin-left: {number}px; }
#login{border-radius: {number}px {number}px {number}px {number}px; border: {number}px solid {color}; width: {number}px; margin-top: {number}px; margin-left: {number}px; margin-right: {number}px; }
</head>

<?Php
session_start();

$con = mysqli_connect("{host}", "{username}", "{password}", "{database}") ;

    if(isset($_POST['register'])){
    $user_name = $_POST['user_name'] ;
    $password = $_POST['password'] ;

    if($user_name != "" and $password != ""){

    $q= "INSERT INTO `user` (`id`, `user_name`, `password`)
#####VALUES('', '".$user_name."', '".$password."')";#####      if(mysqli_query($con, $q)){
   echo '{text1}' ;
   }else{                         echo "{text2}" ;
   }
   }else{
   echo "{text3}" ;
   }

   }
?>
--
Posted on novaBBS
news.novabbs.com

Subject: Re: Bracket Match Not Found
From: trw
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.helpdesk
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2020 08:09 UTC
From: trw...@anon.org (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.helpdesk
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2020 08:09:15+0000
View all headers

you know that I had some difficulty with code that I wrote.

That's what this group was created for.

One problem mentioned is that I get no error logs when I remove the captcha

Might I suggest to follow some of the guides in here:
https://stackify.com/php-debugging-guide/

the different {number}, {color}, {text}, {host}, {username}, {password}, and {database} brackets are supposed to represent different elements in my code that I believe aren't too necessary to type out and are also elements that I feel uncomfortable sharing.

While i agree that some stuff should not be shared, the problem I see with your approach (of changing the code for publishing) is that you/we will not catch any typos in the code, only wrong constructions or something like that. For me, typos are quite often the source of a problem. You might want to use a syntax checker (in your ide, or online), to make sure that your original code does not contain formal errors.

As for the line marked with the #####:
don't you need a value for "id" ? Seems to me like it would be empty, in which the inserting cannot work.

--
Posted on def4

From: Retro Guy
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.helpdesk
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2020 08:42 UTC
From: retro....@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.helpdesk
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2020 08:42:34 +0000
View all headers
Anonymous wrote:

[...]

The brackets look ok in my editor (vi). This is assuming that it's all one line, not broken into two lines.

When you run it, what get's echoed, text 1, 2 or 3?

While you're testing, echo all sorts of stuff (and delete it later). Like values of variables, echo "I'm HERE!" to see if you ever made it into part of the code. Use echo to see what's going on. I echo variables a lot when testing and it quickly shows me things like some variable isn't set, or has a trailing space or whatever. It's very helpful.

--
Posted on Rocksolid Light
news.novabbs.org

1