From: murtaza....@REMOVETHISgmail.com (M G)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
Subject: lifetime of nym account
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 12:52:53 +0530
 by: M G - Wed, 10 Jan 2024 07:22 UTC

Hi,
Greetings,

Can I have a permanent nym account.
My nym id is created, when will it expire?
Also how to renew it?
How to migrate a nym account using ominimix?
What if I have to use another PC and install omnimix from scratch?
What will happen to my nym account?

Regards.

Re: lifetime of nym account

<4e82e949c9bf3e84cecc3dad8357a2ba@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16421&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#16421

From: nob...@dizum.com (Nomen Nescio)
Subject: Re: lifetime of nym account
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 12:25:48 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Nomen Nescio - Wed, 10 Jan 2024 11:25 UTC

On 1/9/2024 11:22 PM, M G wrote:

> Hi,
> Greetings,
>
> Can I have a permanent nym account.
> My nym id is created, when will it expire?
> Also how to renew it?
> How to migrate a nym account using ominimix?
> What if I have to use another PC and install omnimix from scratch?
> What will happen to my nym account?

"In order to clean up abandoned mail aliases or aliases with lost
PGP
keys, a daemon periodically deletes pseudonyms which appear to be
unused. It has been over 180 days since the last time
nym.mixmin.net received a piece of E-mail signed by your private
key. Your
pseudonym is therefore considered inactive, and will be deleted if
it
is still inactive after 240 days.

If you do not wish to have your mail alias deleted, simply send any
piece of E-mail through <send@nym.mixmin.net>, or any configuration
message to <config@nym.mixmin.net>--your pseudonym will then automatically
be renewed. This may also be a good time update your reply block
with
a new list of remailers and Encrypt-Keys, as the list of reliable
remailers can change from month to month and any configuration
message
will renew your pseudonym.

Note that receiving mail through your pseudonym does not renew it,
as
an abandoned account could still be receiving mail. In order to
renew
your account, you must show the nym server that someone still has
access to your account's private PGP key. Note further that just
changing the mail header of your outgoing mail to show your
nym.mixmin.net
address will not renew your pseudonym either. (This is insecure
anyway and so is not recommended in the first place.)

The simplest way to renew your pseudonym is to create a file called,
for instance, renew, with the following contents (indented one space
here for clarity, do not indent it when you create the file):

Config:
From: neverwhere

Then sign and encrypt this message with this PGP command:
gpg -seat renew config@nym.mixmin.net -u neverwhere@nym.mixmin.net

Or this GnuPG command:
gpg -sear config@nym.mixmin.net -u neverwhere@nym.mixmin.net renew

The above gpg command will create a file called renew.asc. You must
then mail the contents of that file to <config@nym.mixmin.net>, either
directly, or, preferably, through some anonymous remailers. When the
nym server receives your message, it will send you a confirmation
saying 'Your configuration request completed successfully.' Once you
receive this confirmation, your alias account will have been
renewed.

Note: You must create a new renew.asc file each time you renew your
pseudonym. Nym.alias.net has a replay cache which prevents an
intercepted message from being replayed multiple times by an
attacker.
Thus, each signed renew.asc file will only work once, and will only
work if the date in the PGP signature is current.

If you have any questions about this policy or other problems with
nym.mixmin.net, please raise them on the newsgroup alt.privacy.anon-
server,
or contact admin@nym.mixmin.net as a last resort."

Re: lifetime of nym account

<20240110140649.4B4191200A3@fleegle.mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16428&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#16428

Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 14:06:49 +0000 (GMT)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
Author-Supplied-Address: ssr<AT>nym<DOT>mixmin<DOT>net
From: Use-Auth...@[127.1] (Stainless Steel Rat)
 by: Stainless Steel Rat - Wed, 10 Jan 2024 14:06 UTC

On Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 12:52:53 +0530, M G <murtaza.i.gandhi@REMOVETHISgmail.com>
said:

> Hi,
> Greetings,
>
> Can I have a permanent nym account.

Yes and no. Mixmin requires you to send a message through the nymserver
signed with your nym's PGP key at least once every 240 days (8-months).

Once you reach the point where no piece of mail signed by your nym's PGP key
has been received by the nymserver for 8 months, then Mixmin will send out
daily reminder messages for an additional 30 days.

After 270 days (9 months) without a PGP-signed message, to the nymserver,
the Mixmin nym account will be deleted.

Paranoici's nyms do not expire at all.

> My nym id is created, when will it expire?

See above.

> Also how to renew it?

Just send a message to yourself via the nymserver that'll do it.

> How to migrate a nym account using ominimix?
> What if I have to use another PC and install omnimix from scratch?

Not a clue. Don't use Omnimix, never have, never will.

> What will happen to my nym account?

As long as you have your PGP private key for your nym, you retain control of
the account.
> Regards.

Stainless Steel Rat

P.S.: You're using what appears to be a real name and gmail account to post
to Usenet about nymserver accounts... you have now effectively flagged your
real identity/email as a nymserver user. Not a particularly wise move, if
you are hoping to evade surveillance.

Re: lifetime of nym account

<352a61e95918f8efacdc5186b05c63b7@remailer.paranoici.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16446&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#16446

From: nob...@remailer.paranoici.org (Anonymous)
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 16:58:16 +0000 (UTC)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Anonymous - Wed, 10 Jan 2024 16:58 UTC

M G <murtaza.i.gandhi@REMOVETHISgmail.com> wrote:

>Can I have a permanent nym account.
>My nym id is created, when will it expire?

Paranoici nyms are permanent, whereas Mixmin nyms not used to send
messages will expire, which is announced by a series of daily mail
messages sent to your nym account:

| Subject: Your mail alias is expiring
| From: Alias expiration daemon <nobody@nym.mixmin.net>
|
| In order to clean up abandoned mail aliases or aliases with lost PGP
| keys, a daemon periodically deletes pseudonyms which appear to be
| unused. It has been over 180 days since the last time
| nym.mixmin.net received a piece of E-mail signed by your private key. Your
| pseudonym is therefore considered inactive, and will be deleted if it
| is still inactive after 240 days.

>Also how to renew it?

Simply by sending some mail. E.g. at ModNym select "Test the selected
nym account" from the pulldown menu and press the "Send Msg" button.

>How to migrate a nym account using ominimix?
>What if I have to use another PC and install omnimix from scratch?

Open OM's Nym Configurator, at the Nym Accounts tab select the
respective account from the list and click the "Export"/"Import" button.

>What will happen to my nym account?

As the nymserver won't get knowledge of where your OM system is
installed, that doesn't influence your account in any way.

computers / alt.privacy.anon-server / lifetime of nym account