"The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl." -- Dave Barry

computers / alt.privacy.anon-server / Message from Google Groups delivered as Re: Subject line

SubjectAuthor
* Message from Google Groups delivered as Re: Subject linedarius
`* Re: Message from Google Groups delivered as Re: Subject lineRetro Guy
 +* Re: Message from Google Groups delivered as Re: Subject linedarius
 |+- Re: Message from Google Groups delivered as Re: Subject lineRetro Guy
 |`* Re: Message from Google Groups delivered as Re: Subject lineStainless Steel Rat
 | `- Re: Message from Google Groups delivered as Re: Subject lineNomen Nescio
 `- Re: Message from Google Groups delivered as Re: Subject lineRetro Guy

1
Message from Google Groups delivered as Re: Subject line

<3cd7e5843d1cbcca96ea508b38d04709@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16518&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#16518

Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 00:21:57 +0000
Subject: Message from Google Groups delivered as Re: Subject line
From: manta1...@gmail.com (darius)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: darius - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 00:21 UTC

Message from Usenet Google Groups
delivered to

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/thread.php?group=soc.culture.polish

Re: Maciej Wąsik rozpoczął głodówkę. RPO: nie ma prawa

By: a a on Thu, 11 Jan 2024
0

57 Minutes ago

By: a a

----
as

Re: (reply status message)

Re: Maciej Wąsik rozpoczął głodówkę. RPO: nie ma prawa

But this is not a reply

This is the original, first and single message

Re: Message from Google Groups delivered as Re: Subject line

<unne1p$2s6tu$1@i2pn2.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16519&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#16519

From: retro...@novabbs.org (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 17:51:05 -0700
 by: Retro Guy - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 00:51 UTC

On Thu, 11 Jan 2024 00:21:57 +0000, darius wrote:

> Message from Usenet Google Groups
> delivered to
>
> https://news.novabbs.org/interests/thread.php?group=soc.culture.polish
>
> Re: Maciej Wąsik rozpoczął głodówkę. RPO: nie ma prawa
>
> By: a a on Thu, 11 Jan 2024
> 0
>
> 57 Minutes ago
>
> By: a a
>
> ----
> as
>
> Re: (reply status message)
>
> Re: Maciej Wąsik rozpoczął głodówkę. RPO: nie ma prawa
>
> But this is not a reply
>
> This is the original, first and single message

Yeah, that's weird.

I'll look into it when I have some time. I didn't write the code that
displays that part so I need to dig into it. It'll be a while.

Re: Message from Google Groups delivered as Re: Subject line

<7b0a062b76202bb6a62c44352e5ce744@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16520&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#16520

Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 01:44:15 +0000
From: manta1...@gmail.com (darius)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: darius - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 01:44 UTC

thank you

Do you have plans to set up a network of usenet servers world-wide
to accomodate Ms of peers leaving Usenet Google Groups in February 2024 ?

Could you remove top line messages
and use this place to publish manual on ho to use your server ?

Could the line listing categories of newsgroups be more specific
since search for a newsgroup is not supported/ offered

No feature such as: my groups, known from Usenet Google Groups

So we are wasting time trying to move to another newsgroup, clicking categories

Your server lacks smart interface for peers

listing:

my groups
my history
groups posted
groups visited

posting multi groups

and much more
since uasenet standard was set to Ms by Usenet Google Groups,
coming with a nice interface
nice fonts,
nice formatting

I plan to call CEO, COB at Google to get Usenet Google Groups to survive
since he promissed so to us in public, acquiring DejaNews,
so Usenet Google Groups should be supported for ever

Maybe Google is low in cash to fund Usenet Google Groups

Re: Message from Google Groups delivered as Re: Subject line

<unni32$2sb2f$1@i2pn2.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16521&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#16521

From: retro...@novabbs.org (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 19:00:02 -0700
 by: Retro Guy - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 02:00 UTC

On Wed, 10 Jan 2024 17:51:05 -0700, Retro Guy wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Jan 2024 00:21:57 +0000, darius wrote:
>
>> Message from Usenet Google Groups
>> delivered to
>>
>> https://news.novabbs.org/interests/thread.php?group=soc.culture.polish
>>
>> Re: Maciej Wąsik rozpoczął głodówkę. RPO: nie ma prawa
>>
>> By: a a on Thu, 11 Jan 2024
>> 0
>>
>> 57 Minutes ago
>>
>> By: a a
>>
>> ----
>> as
>>
>> Re: (reply status message)
>>
>> Re: Maciej Wąsik rozpoczął głodówkę. RPO: nie ma prawa
>>
>> But this is not a reply
>>
>> This is the original, first and single message
>
> Yeah, that's weird.
>
> I'll look into it when I have some time. I didn't write the code that
> displays that part so I need to dig into it. It'll be a while.

Might be fixed now. We'll see...

The code doesn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense, lol.

Re: Message from Google Groups delivered as Re: Subject line

<unnico$2sbc8$1@i2pn2.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16522&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#16522

From: retro...@novabbs.org (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 19:05:12 -0700
 by: Retro Guy - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 02:05 UTC

On Thu, 11 Jan 2024 01:44:15 +0000, darius wrote:

> thank you
>
> Do you have plans to set up a network of usenet servers world-wide
> to accomodate Ms of peers leaving Usenet Google Groups in February 2024 ?

Nope.

> Could you remove top line messages
> and use this place to publish manual on ho to use your server ?
>
> Could the line listing categories of newsgroups be more specific
> since search for a newsgroup is not supported/ offered
>
> No feature such as: my groups, known from Usenet Google Groups
>
> So we are wasting time trying to move to another newsgroup, clicking categories

This software was not made to replace Google Groups. It's not the same. It
will never be the same. Whether people want to use it or not is up to them.
It's here if they want to use it, and quite a few have started doing so
recently.

When a better one comes along, people will go there. That's how it works.

> I plan to call CEO, COB at Google to get Usenet Google Groups to survive
> since he promissed so to us in public, acquiring DejaNews,
> so Usenet Google Groups should be supported for ever

Great. Let us know how it goes.

> Maybe Google is low in cash to fund Usenet Google Groups

That's the most likely scenario. Maybe I could toss them a few dollars to
help.

Re: Message from Google Groups delivered as Re: Subject line

<20240111132147.B22AC1200AB@fleegle.mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16525&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#16525

Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 13:21:47 +0000 (GMT)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
Author-Supplied-Address: ssr<AT>nym<DOT>mixmin<DOT>net
From: Use-Auth...@[127.1] (Stainless Steel Rat)
 by: Stainless Steel Rat - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 13:21 UTC

On Thu, 11 Jan 2024 01:44:15 +0000, Darius <manta103g@gmail.com> said:

> Do you have plans to set up a network of usenet servers world-wide
> to accomodate Ms of peers leaving Usenet Google Groups in February 2024 ?

Darius, I don't know the party that runs Rocksolid, but I would imagine they
do so as a hobby, or a small not-for-profit operation -- they are NOT going
to be setting-up Usenet servers around the globe.

There are several free services that will allow you to access Usenet, as
well as a fair number of commercial providers, both in the United States
and in Europe.

Free Providers:

Eternal September: https://www.eternal-september.org/

Their list of regional groups can be viewed here:

https://www.eternal-september.org/hierarchies.php

They carry a fair number of Polish groups.

Here is a link to the best commercial providers:

https://www.tomsguide.com/best-picks/the-best-usenet-providers

One good European provider is Eweka -- they're a Dutch provider, that has
plans ranging from 7-10 Euros per month. https://www.eweka.nl/

What I would recommend to you is that you sign-up for an account at Eternal
September, get a newsreader, and carry on from there. You can setup an
account in less than 5 minutes. This is how it was done before Google Groups,
and how it is going to have to be done again. Some of us (like me) never
stopped using the old methods, so Google Groups going away doesn't affect
us.

[snip]
> I plan to call CEO, COB at Google to get Usenet Google Groups to survive
> since he promissed so to us in public, acquiring DejaNews,
> so Usenet Google Groups should be supported for ever

Good luck! Google is literally /notorious/ for dropping projects -- this is
just the latest one. Google's promises are not worth the paper they're
written on.
> Maybe Google is low in cash to fund Usenet Google Groups

I doubt that, somehow. This position is not going to be reversed, trust me
on this one.

Stainless Steel Rat

Re: Message from Google Groups delivered as Re: Subject line

<8443a8ed4aff188eee72ed3f7765560b@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16526&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#16526

From: nob...@dizum.com (Nomen Nescio)
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 17:52:25 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Nomen Nescio - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 16:52 UTC

In article <20240111132147.B22AC1200AB@fleegle.mixmin.net>
Stainless Steel Rat <Use-Author-Supplied-Address-Header@[127.1]> wrote:

> Here is a link to the best commercial providers:
>
> https://www.tomsguide.com/best-picks/the-best-usenet-providers

This is the one I use https://frugalusenet.com/.

computers / alt.privacy.anon-server / Message from Google Groups delivered as Re: Subject line