To downgrade the human mind is bad theology. -- C. K. Chesterton

computers / alt.privacy.anon-server / State of mixmaster & mixnet in 2024

SubjectAuthor
* State of mixmaster & mixnet in 2024Russell S
`* Re: State of mixmaster & mixnet in 2024D
 `* Re: State of mixmaster & mixnet in 2024Stainless Steel Rat
  `* Re: State of mixmaster & mixnet in 2024D
   `* Re: State of mixmaster & mixnet in 2024Stainless Steel Rat
    +* Re: State of mixmaster & mixnet in 2024Russell S
    |`- Re: State of mixmaster & mixnet in 2024Stefan Claas
    `- Re: State of mixmaster & mixnet in 2024D

1
State of mixmaster & mixnet in 2024

<unsiom$3kmjt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16556&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#16556

From: ano...@invalid.invalid (Russell S)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
Subject: State of mixmaster & mixnet in 2024
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 00:42:13 +0100
 by: Russell S - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 23:42 UTC

Hi,

It seems with the time passing, more and more re-mailers are shutting
down and mixnet are getting rare.

* What is the privacy offered by such small traffic? If only a few users
are using it, its easy to do all kind of tracking.

* Are there modern replacement for this? It seems now everything is
moving to low latency tech like TOR but it also has its issues.

* How would someone new go into this, since there are no easy way to
discover working re-mailer or simply someone else to discuss with.

Re: State of mixmaster & mixnet in 2024

<0a66ebf618ec4e131502062c12a10871@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16559&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#16559

From: J...@M (D)
Subject: Re: State of mixmaster & mixnet in 2024
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 01:50:46 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: D - Sat, 13 Jan 2024 00:50 UTC

On Sat, 13 Jan 2024 00:42:13 +0100, Russell S <anon@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>It seems with the time passing

google2news is getting closer to sayonara . . . together with deja forever

Re: State of mixmaster & mixnet in 2024

<20240113030342.EF2041200A3@fleegle.mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16565&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#16565

Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 03:03:42 +0000 (GMT)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
Author-Supplied-Address: ssr<AT>nym<DOT>mixmin<DOT>net
From: Use-Auth...@[127.1] (Stainless Steel Rat)
 by: Stainless Steel Rat - Sat, 13 Jan 2024 03:03 UTC

On Sat, 13 Jan 2024 01:50:46 +0100 (CET), D <J@M> said:

> On Sat, 13 Jan 2024 00:42:13 +0100, Russell S <anon@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>> It seems with the time passing
>
> google2news is getting closer to sayonara . . . together with deja forever

You know, I was kinda neutral about it before, but seeing some of the latest
Google Groups junkies in APAS, I'm counting the days until the plug is
pulled...

Stainless Steel Rat

Re: State of mixmaster & mixnet in 2024

<d309077b1b2c29de4e9fb1a17d057605@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16568&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#16568

From: J...@M (D)
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 06:00:16 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: D - Sat, 13 Jan 2024 05:00 UTC

On Sat, 13 Jan 2024 03:03:42 +0000 (GMT), Stainless Steel Rat <Use-Author-Supplied-Address-Header@[127.1]> wrote:
>On Sat, 13 Jan 2024 01:50:46 +0100 (CET), D <J@M> said:
>> On Sat, 13 Jan 2024 00:42:13 +0100, Russell S <anon@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>> It seems with the time passing
>>
>> google2news is getting closer to sayonara . . . together with deja forever
>
>You know, I was kinda neutral about it before, but seeing some of the latest
>Google Groups junkies in APAS, I'm counting the days until the plug is
>pulled...
>Stainless Steel Rat

their "save google/usenet is dying" narrative has been evident in other,
most server related newsgroups also . . . even the resident tuta-patrol
uses similar and sometimes conspicuously identical "sock-puppet" tactics;
google could announce "because of overwhelming demand by our subscribers
to the google groups services, google will not discontinue usenet access
at this time", and 22 february would come and go without skipping a beat?
their ruthlessness cannot be underestimated, nothing would be surprising

Re: State of mixmaster & mixnet in 2024

<20240113053246.834811200A3@fleegle.mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16569&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#16569

Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 05:32:46 +0000 (GMT)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
Author-Supplied-Address: ssr<AT>nym<DOT>mixmin<DOT>net
From: Use-Auth...@[127.1] (Stainless Steel Rat)
 by: Stainless Steel Rat - Sat, 13 Jan 2024 05:32 UTC

On Sat, 13 Jan 2024 06:00:16 +0100 (CET), D <J@M> said:

> On Sat, 13 Jan 2024 03:03:42 +0000 (GMT), Stainless Steel Rat <Use-Author-Supplied-Address-Header@[127.1]> wrote:
>>>
>>> google2news is getting closer to sayonara . . . together with deja forever
>>
>> You know, I was kinda neutral about it before, but seeing some of the latest
>> Google Groups junkies in APAS, I'm counting the days until the plug is
>> pulled...
>> Stainless Steel Rat
>
> their "save google/usenet is dying" narrative has been evident in other,
> most server related newsgroups also . . . even the resident tuta-patrol
> uses similar and sometimes conspicuously identical "sock-puppet" tactics;
> google could announce "because of overwhelming demand by our subscribers
> to the google groups services, google will not discontinue usenet access
> at this time", and 22 february would come and go without skipping a beat?
> their ruthlessness cannot be underestimated, nothing would be surprising
I'm not entirely sure there is a critical mass of users large enough to make
keeping Google Groups alive a reality. If they decided to close down Gmail,
on the other hand... that would be a different story altogether.

Stainless Steel Rat

Re: State of mixmaster & mixnet in 2024

<unt8ab$3r46p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16570&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#16570

From: ano...@invalid.invalid (Russell S)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 06:50:03 +0100
 by: Russell S - Sat, 13 Jan 2024 05:50 UTC

On 1/13/2024 6:32 AM, Stainless Steel Rat wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Jan 2024 06:00:16 +0100 (CET), D <J@M> said:

>>> You know, I was kinda neutral about it before, but seeing some of the latest
>>> Google Groups junkies in APAS, I'm counting the days until the plug is
>>> pulled...
>>> Stainless Steel Rat
>>
>> their "save google/usenet is dying" narrative has been evident in other,
>> most server related newsgroups also . . . even the resident tuta-patrol
>> uses similar and sometimes conspicuously identical "sock-puppet" tactics;
>> google could announce "because of overwhelming demand by our subscribers
>> to the google groups services, google will not discontinue usenet access
>> at this time", and 22 february would come and go without skipping a beat?
>> their ruthlessness cannot be underestimated, nothing would be surprising
>
> I'm not entirely sure there is a critical mass of users large enough to make
> keeping Google Groups alive a reality. If they decided to close down Gmail,
> on the other hand... that would be a different story altogether.
>
> Stainless Steel Rat

Google has an history of just shutting down stuff even with more usage
than Google Groups

https://killedbygoogle.com/

Re: State of mixmaster & mixnet in 2024

<unu098$34lr7$2@i2pn2.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16574&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#16574

From: ste...@mailchuck.com (Stefan Claas)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 13:39:04 +0100
 by: Stefan Claas - Sat, 13 Jan 2024 12:39 UTC

Russell S wrote:

> Google has an history of just shutting down stuff even with more
> usage than Google Groups
>
> https://killedbygoogle.com/

Hi,

can you please tell me what encoder you used in your recent a.a.m
message?

Regards
Stefan
--
----Ed25519 Signature----
cf601ad1398695da22be88b6754cec49dad174b18f66bc062bdcfc289533e900

Re: State of mixmaster & mixnet in 2024

<dd92d86069b47c4b27d4e9db9eb73668@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16580&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#16580

From: J...@M (D)
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 15:54:21 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: D - Sat, 13 Jan 2024 14:54 UTC

On Sat, 13 Jan 2024 05:32:46 +0000 (GMT), Stainless Steel Rat <Use-Author-Supplied-Address-Header@[127.1]> wrote:
>On Sat, 13 Jan 2024 06:00:16 +0100 (CET), D <J@M> said:

>>> You know, I was kinda neutral about it before, but seeing some of the latest
>>> Google Groups junkies in APAS, I'm counting the days until the plug is
>>> pulled...
>>> Stainless Steel Rat
>>
>> their "save google/usenet is dying" narrative has been evident in other,
>> most server related newsgroups also . . . even the resident tuta-patrol
>> uses similar and sometimes conspicuously identical "sock-puppet" tactics;
>> google could announce "because of overwhelming demand by our subscribers
>> to the google groups services, google will not discontinue usenet access
>> at this time", and 22 february would come and go without skipping a beat?
>> their ruthlessness cannot be underestimated, nothing would be surprising
>
>I'm not entirely sure there is a critical mass of users large enough to make
>keeping Google Groups alive a reality. If they decided to close down Gmail,
>on the other hand... that would be a different story altogether.
>Stainless Steel Rat

like the "g" in gmail...electronic mail and even postal mail will eventually
become antiquated, obsolete and extinct along with the rest of the old world;
something to look forward to several centuries from now, but in the meantime . . .

computers / alt.privacy.anon-server / State of mixmaster & mixnet in 2024