Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 17:17:26 +0000
Subject: History of DejaNews
From: manta1...@gmail.com (darius)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: darius - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 17:17 UTC

History of DejaNews

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Groups

"
Google Groups
Previous Google Groups logo

By 2001, the Deja search service was shut down. In February 2001, Google acquired Deja News and its archive, and transitioned its assets to groups.google.com.[12] Users were then able to access these Usenet newsgroups through the new Google Groups interface.

By the end of 2001, the archive had been supplemented with other archived messages dating back to May 11, 1981.[13][14][15] These early posts from 1981–1991 were donated to Google by the University of Western Ontario, based on archives by Henry Spencer from the University of Toronto.[16] A short while later,[when?] Google released a new version that allowed users to create their own non-Usenet groups.

When AOL discontinued access to Usenet around 2005, it recommended Google Groups instead.[17]

In 2008, Google broke the Groups search functionality and left it nonfunctional for about a year, until a Wired article spurred the company to fix the problems.[18][19]

On February 13, 2015, a Vice Media story reported that the ability to do advanced searches across all groups had again become nonfunctional, and to date, Google has neither fixed nor acknowledged the problem. The researcher interviewed stated, "Advanced searches within specific groups appear to be working, but that's hardly useful for any form of research—be it casual or academic."[20]

As of January 2024, Google Groups carries a header notice, saying:

Effective from 22 February 2024, Google Groups will no longer support new Usenet content. Posting and subscribing will be disallowed, and new content from Usenet peers will not appear. Viewing and searching of historical data will still be supported as it is done today.

An explanatory page adds:[21]

In addition, Google’s Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP) server and associated peering will no longer be available, meaning Google will not support serving new Usenet content or exchanging content with other NNTP servers.

This change will not impact any non-Usenet content on Google Groups, including all user and organization-created groups.

Criticism

Vice and Wired contributors have criticized Google for its unannounced discontinuation of the Google Groups Advanced Search page and the ability to perform advanced searches across all groups, leaving it nearly impossible to find postings without either knowing keywords from them that are unique across Google Groups' entire multi-decade archive of posts, or else knowing beforehand which newsgroup(s) they were posted in.[18][19][20]

Re: History of DejaNews

<b8da1d03edf1bf09e03428be8e5763f2@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16647&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#16647

From: J...@M (D)
Subject: Re: History of DejaNews
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 20:26:43 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: D - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 19:26 UTC

On Wed, 17 Jan 2024 17:17:26 +0000, manta103g@gmail.com (darius) wrote:
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Groups
>On December 15, 2023, Google announced that Google Groups would end support
>posting or viewing new Usenet content on February 22, 2024

36 days . . . 4 cubits make a man . . . 300 cubits make an ark . . .

Re: History of DejaNews

<9cca1da1ffeca13653c478344027ac17@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16648&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#16648

From: nob...@dizum.com (Nomen Nescio)
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 23:06:21 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Nomen Nescio - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 22:06 UTC

On 1/17/2024 11:26 AM, D wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Jan 2024 17:17:26 +0000, manta103g@gmail.com (darius) wrote:
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Groups
>> On December 15, 2023, Google announced that Google Groups would end support
>> posting or viewing new Usenet content on February 22, 2024
>
> 36 days . . . 4 cubits make a man . . . 300 cubits make an ark . . .

36 days and counting.....

It's like waiting for Christmas.

Re: History of DejaNews

<20240118000753.28E031200B1@fleegle.mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16649&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#16649

Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 00:07:53 +0000 (GMT)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
Author-Supplied-Address: ssr<AT>nym<DOT>mixmin<DOT>net
From: Use-Auth...@[127.1] (Stainless Steel Rat)
 by: Stainless Steel Rat - Thu, 18 Jan 2024 00:07 UTC

On Wed, 17 Jan 2024 23:06:21 +0100 (CET), Nomen Nescio <nobody@dizum.com>
said:

> On 1/17/2024 11:26 AM, D wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 17 Jan 2024 17:17:26 +0000, manta103g@gmail.com (darius) wrote:
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Groups On December 15, 2023,
>>> Google announced that Google Groups would end support posting or
>>> viewing new Usenet content on February 22, 2024
>>
>> 36 days . . . 4 cubits make a man . . . 300 cubits make an ark . . .
>
> 36 days and counting.....
>
> It's like waiting for Christmas.

Yep. I feel like a six-year-old waiting for Santa... the anticipation is
killing me! (Except Santa never brought us anything this good!)

Stainless Steel Rat

computers / alt.privacy.anon-server / Re: History of DejaNews