From: nob...@dizum.com (Nomen Nescio)
Subject: Google to purge billions of files containing personal data in
settlement of Chrome privacy case
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 04:20:19 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10, alt.privacy, alt.privacy.anon-server,
comp.os.linux.advocacy
 by: Nomen Nescio - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 02:20 UTC

SAN FRANCISCO -- Google has agreed to purge billions of records containing
personal information collected from more than 136 million people in the
U.S. surfing the internet through its Chrome web browser.

The massive housecleaning comes as part of a settlement in a lawsuit
accusing the search giant of illegal surveillance.

The details of the deal emerged in a court filing Monday, more than three
months after Google and the attorneys handling the class-action case
disclosed they had resolved a June 2020 lawsuit targeting Chrome's privacy
controls.

Among other allegations, the lawsuit accused Google of tracking Chrome
users' internet activity even when they had switched the browser to the
�Incognito� setting that is supposed to shield them from being shadowed by
the Mountain View, California, company.

Google vigorously fought the lawsuit until U.S. District Judge Yvonne
Gonzalez Rogers rejected a request to dismiss the case last August,
setting up a potential trial. The settlement was negotiated during the
next four months, culminating in Monday's disclosure of the terms, which
Rogers still must approve during a hearing scheduled for July 30 in
Oakland, California, federal court.

The settlement requires Google to expunge billions of personal records
stored in its data centers and make more prominent privacy disclosures
about Chrome's Incognito option when it is activated. It also imposes
other controls designed to limit Google's collection of personal
information.

Consumers represented in the class-action lawsuit won't receive any
damages or any other payments in the settlement, a point that Google
emphasized in a Monday statement about the deal.

�We are pleased to settle this lawsuit, which we always believed was
meritless," Google said. The company asserted it is only being required to
�delete old personal technical data that was never associated with an
individual and was never used for any form of personalization.�

In court papers, the attorneys representing Chrome users painted a much
different picture, depicting the settlement as a major victory for
personal privacy in an age of ever-increasing digital surveillance.

The lawyers valued the settlement at $4.75 billion to $7.8 billion,
relying on calculations based primarily on the potential ad sales that the
personal information collected through Chrome could have generated in the
past and future without the new restrictions.

The settlement also doesn't shield Google from more lawsuits revolving
around the same issues covered in the class-action case. That means
individual consumers can still pursue damages against the company by
filing their own civil complaints in state courts around the U.S.

Investors apparently aren't too worried about the settlement terms
affecting the digital ad sales that account for the bulk of the more than
$300 billion in annual revenue pouring into Google's corporate parent,
Alphabet Inc. Shares in Alphabet rose 3% to close Monday at $155.49,
giving the company a market value of $1.9 trillion.

Austin Chambers, a lawyer specializing in data privacy issues at the firm
Dorsey & Whitney, described the settlement terms in the Chrome case as a
�welcome development� that could affect the way personal information is
collected online in the future.

�This prevents companies from profiting off of that data, and also
requires them to undertake complex and costly data deletion efforts,�
Chambers said. �In some cases, this could have a dramatic impact on
products built around those datasets.�

Google is still facing legal threats on the regulatory frontier that could
have a far bigger impact on its business, depending on the outcomes.

After the U.S. Justice Department outlined its allegations that the
company is abusing the dominance of its search engine to thwart
competition and innovation during a trial last fall, a federal judge is
scheduled to hear closing arguments in the case May 1 before issuing a
ruling anticipated in the autumn.

Google is also facing potential changes to its app store for smartphones
powered by its Android software that could undercut its revenue from
commissions after a federal jury last year concluded the company was
running an illegal monopoly. A hearing examining possible revisions that
Google may have to make to its Play Store is scheduled for late May.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/google-purge-billions-files-personal-
data-settlement-chrome-108718740

Re: Google to purge billions of files containing personal data in settlement of Chrome privacy case

<1eba16036d121d26513eafc58b73beac@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17413&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#17413

From: nob...@dizum.com (Nomen Nescio)
settlement of Chrome privacy case
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2024 22:19:55 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10, alt.privacy, alt.privacy.anon-server,
comp.os.linux.advocacy
 by: Nomen Nescio - Fri, 5 Apr 2024 20:19 UTC

On 01 Apr 2024, Nomen Nescio <nobody@dizum.com> posted some

> SAN FRANCISCO -- Google has agreed to purge billions of records
> containing personal information collected from more than 136 million
> people in the U.S. surfing the internet through its Chrome web
> browser.
>
> The massive housecleaning comes as part of a settlement in a lawsuit
> accusing the search giant of illegal surveillance.

Screw that. I want some money. Google should pay.