RAM wasn't built in a day.

computers / rocksolid.nodes.announce / Re: still problems

SubjectAuthor
* rslight-0.6.5dRetro Guy
+* rslight-0.6.5dRetro Guy
|`* rslight-0.6.5dAnonUser
| `* rslight-0.6.5dRetro Guy
|  `* rslight-0.6.5dRetro Guy
|   `- rslight-0.6.5dRetro Guy
+- this is your favorite guineapig againAnonymous
+- of, the threads are intact nowAnonymous
+* i have a feature request for rslightAnonymous
|`- i have a feature request for rslightRetro Guy
+* i was too optimisticAnonymous
|`- i was too optimisticRetro Guy
+* also missing indecesAnonymous
|`- also missing indecesRetro Guy
+- status report :-)Anonymous
+- several newsserversAnonymous
+* NoneAnonymous
|`- Noneanonymous
+* still problemsAnonymous
|`* still problemsRetro Guy
| +- still problemsRetro Guy
| `* still problemsanonymous
|  `* still problemsRetro Guy
|   `* still problemsanon
|    +- still problemsRetro Guy
|    `* still problemsRetro Guy
|     `- still problemsanonymous
+- message can be accessed nowAnonymous
+- i don't get itAnonymous
+- still not working, reallyAnonymous
+* charset in subjectsAnonymous
|`- charset in subjectsRetro Guy
+- this was vichanAnonymous
+* first sync after changeAnonymous
|`* first sync after changeRetro Guy
| +- first sync after changeRetro Guy
| `- first sync after changeRetro Guy
+- deleted the spool filesAnonymous
+* that fixed social as wellAnonymous
|`- that fixed social as wellRetro Guy
+- rslight-0.6.5danon
+* the new function works at leastAnonymous
|`* the new function works at leastRetro Guy
| `* the new function works at leastanon
|  `- the new function works at leastRetro Guy
+- so far so goodAnonymous
+* but the message is thereAnonymous
|`- but the message is thereRetro Guy
+* okAnonymous
|`* okRetro Guy
| `* okRetro Guy
|  `* okRetro Guy
|   `* okRetro Guy
|    `* okRetro Guy
|     `* okRetro Guy
|      `* okRetro Guy
|       `* okRetro Guy
|        `- okRetro Guy
+* watermarksAnonymous
|`- watermarksRetro Guy
+* the new spoolnews.phpAnonymous
|`- the new spoolnews.phpRetro Guy
+- seems to be workingAnonymous
+* now can you explain why the bugsAnonymous
|`- now can you explain why the bugsRetro Guy
`- this fixed quite a lotAnonymous

Pages:123
Re: charset in subjects

<f441c552d268bd92a0c07afb00f98174$1@www.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=191&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#191

From: Retro ...@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Subject: Re: charset in subjects
Date: Fri, 29 May 2020 23:02 UTC
 by: Retro Guy - Fri, 29 May 2020 23:02 UTC

Anonymous wrote:

> i just had to change one article manually, because the character ² (square) was included.
> this is the error message from spoolnews:

> May 29 14:05:26 rocksolid Failed to POST: a8c8ed: 441 Invalid syntax encountered in Subject: header field body (unexpected byte or empty content line)

> do yo know if that is part of the spec for news ? or is it something specific to rslight ?

rslight will mime encode headers when necessary, so it shouldn't send such a messaage. Is this a message from vichan? That error message is from an inn server and spoolnews is just logging it.

--
Posted on: Rocksolid Light
www.novabbs.com

this was vichan

<na.245.3zz3u5@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=192&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#192

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Subject: this was vichan
Date: Sat, 30 May 2020 05:16:01 -0700
 by: Anonymous - Sat, 30 May 2020 12:16 UTC

>rslight will mime encode headers when necessary, so it shouldn't send such a messaage.

it doesn't.

>Is this a message from vichan? That error message is from an inn server and spoolnews is just logging it.

I thought the error might be from the rslight news server.

One more point on the vichan todo list.

Re: still problems

<f76faa414ee5c3445e1a9ed44077b357$1@z5bqfv5v75kxy7pj.onion>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=193&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#193

From: anonym...@anon.com (anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Subject: Re: still problems
Date: Sat, 30 May 2020 16:23 UTC
 by: anonymous - Sat, 30 May 2020 16:23 UTC

>This is a good thing, it allows me to see the problem in action locally.

I saw this one too late, but yes, this is very good.
From your post before I understand that the problem might be in incomplete messsages...
and just I see that you probably rebuild your spool (at least spoolnews reports a lot of duplicates).

cheers

trw
--
Posted on def2
z5bqfv5v75kxy7pj.onion

Re: still problems

<70e5a57fe0427c8e982014051bed30b1$1@192.168.0.220>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=194&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#194

From: Retro ...@example.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Sat, 30 May 2020 23:32 UTC
 by: Retro Guy - Sat, 30 May 2020 23:32 UTC

anonymous wrote:

>>This is a good thing, it allows me to see the problem in action locally.

> I saw this one too late, but yes, this is very good.
> From your post before I understand that the problem might be in incomplete messsages...
> and just I see that you probably rebuild your spool (at least spoolnews reports a lot of duplicates).

You're seeing that on def2 logs? I'm pretty sure def2 is connecting to one of my inn2 servers as it's upstream server (i2pn2), not to an rslight server. I haven't changed anything on i2pn2, or any of my spools. Only on a test site right now have I done that.

The duplicate message log entry is harmless. It usually happens when/if you lose your connection to upstream and on next run it starts at the low number again.

Using the opportunity to post from the test site now also.

Retro Guy

--
Posted on: rslight Debian test site
192.168.0.220

Re: still problems

<a46d02de25615f7b718226e56316b5e8@def4>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=195&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#195

From: ano...@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Sun, 31 May 2020 01:01:21+0000
 by: anon - Sun, 31 May 2020 01:01 UTC

>You're seeing that on def2 logs?
Yes, and a lot of messages from many groups. That is why I was assuming the spool numbers had changed on your server (which I remember they do from time to time, right ?).

> I'm pretty sure def2 is connecting to one of my inn2 servers as it's upstream server (i2pn2), not to an rslight server.

Yes, that is true of course. So it can't have anything to do with your experiments.

>The duplicate message log entry is harmless.

That's what I thought. It was just the sheer number of logs entries in a row (I follow that log with tail -f) that made me look twice.

>It usually happens when/if you lose your connection to upstream

These connection problems can happen over i2p easily of course. Maybe it would be better if I would connect to my own inn instead ?

If you want I could also try the new spoolnews code, would be interesting to see.

cheers

trw

and on next run it starts at the low number again. Using the opportunity to post from the test site now also.

Posted on def4

Re: still problems

<e6fdcc8b7386cd8552ccb252124ae5a2$1@nyccgjh5cjapsf7frrhxqw73gb5hxj2ucau72ztn2oenxwetxr5q.b32.i2p>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=196&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#196

From: Retro ...@example.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Sat, 30 May 2020 23:53 UTC
 by: Retro Guy - Sat, 30 May 2020 23:53 UTC

anon wrote:

>>You're seeing that on def2 logs?
> Yes, and a lot of messages from many groups. That is why I was assuming the spool numbers had changed on your server (which I remember they do from time to time, right ?).

>> I'm pretty sure def2 is connecting to one of my inn2 servers as it's upstream server (i2pn2), not to an rslight server.

> Yes, that is true of course. So it can't have anything to do with your experiments.

>>The duplicate message log entry is harmless.

> That's what I thought. It was just the sheer number of logs entries in a row (I follow that log with tail -f) that made me look twice.

>>It usually happens when/if you lose your connection to upstream

> These connection problems can happen over i2p easily of course. Maybe it would be better if I would connect to my own inn instead ?

> If you want I could also try the new spoolnews code, would be interesting to see.

I'm using the new spoolnews code right now. I let it create a new spool a few hours ago and I'm monitoring it and comparing to a rslight site that does not use i2p. There are a number of changes to not allow the code to step on itself while trying to do more than one thing during a connection to upstream, including posting. That's why I'm posting here also, as a test.

I moved the i2p tunnel for my test sites to point to this site if you feel like comparing to def2 or another: http://nyccgjh5cjapsf7frrhxqw73gb5hxj2ucau72ztn2oenxwetxr5q.b32.i2p

Retro Guy

--
Posted on: rslight Debian test site
nyccgjh5cjapsf7frrhxqw73gb5hxj2ucau72ztn2oenxwetxr5q.b32.i2p

Re: still problems

<0b8d88137c0b1433c05e0b466e24e432$1@192.168.0.220>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=197&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#197

From: Retro ...@example.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Sun, 31 May 2020 06:33 UTC
 by: Retro Guy - Sun, 31 May 2020 06:33 UTC

anon wrote:

> If you want I could also try the new spoolnews code, would be interesting to see.

That would be great. I've placed 'scripts.tgz' in the rslight download directory on rslight.i2p.

This will extract to scripts/*.php

I needed to modify the other scripts to use different lock file names.

Please extract this into scripts, then kill your nntp server and let it restart.

Then, in /var/spool/rslight, please create a file named 'rocksolid.reload' and give this file permissions that allow the web server user to delete it. This is a semaphore file to tell spoolnews to go back (currently 20) articles and retry to pull them.

Also, this spoolnews.php does a lot more checking to make sure you get the article and if it's broken, hopefully delete it and try again next time.

If it works ok, then it will answer a lot of questions for me. If it does work, I still need to clean up spoolnews.php and get that to you.

Here's to hoping it at least does something :)

Retro Guy

--
Posted on: rslight Debian test site
192.168.0.220

Re: still problems

<9ae0661830effb3e890ed3666c1b7958$1@z5bqfv5v75kxy7pj.onion>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=199&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#199

From: anonym...@anon.com (anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Sun, 31 May 2020 21:38 UTC
 by: anonymous - Sun, 31 May 2020 21:38 UTC

ok, it is deployed, let's see.
should i zero the watermarks ?

cheers

trw
--
Posted on def2
z5bqfv5v75kxy7pj.onion

first sync after change

<na.255.1837r2@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=200&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#200

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Subject: first sync after change
Date: Sun, 31 May 2020 15:22:24 -0700
 by: Anonymous - Sun, 31 May 2020 22:22 UTC

>tell spoolnews to go back (currently 20) articles and retry to pull them.

This it did, for all groups. Did not change the display of social, though.

cheers

trw

Re: first sync after change

<24f82b277817b822b6ef83a568a9df75$1@www.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=201&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#201

From: Retro ...@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Subject: Re: first sync after change
Date: Sun, 31 May 2020 23:18 UTC
 by: Retro Guy - Sun, 31 May 2020 23:18 UTC

I'm starting to suspect something....

Could you please delete in the spool all the <group.name> - * files (except -overview and -title):

$ ls rocksolid.programming-* -ldh
-rw-r--r-- 1 www-data www-data 4.6K May 31 23:04 rocksolid.programming-1-100.html
-rw-r--r-- 1 www-data www-data 0 May 31 23:04 rocksolid.programming-cache.txt
-rw-r--r-- 1 www-data www-data 38K May 31 13:03 rocksolid.programming-data.dat
-rw-r--r-- 1 www-data www-data 51 May 31 13:03 rocksolid.programming-info.txt
-rw-r--r-- 1 www-data www-data 97 May 31 13:03 rocksolid.programming-lastarticleinfo.dat

Don't delete these:
-rw-r--r-- 1 www-data www-data 56 May 30 12:31 rocksolid.programming-title
-rw-r--r-- 1 www-data www-data 16K May 31 13:03 rocksolid.programming-overview

Let's see what happens.

Retro Guy

--
Posted on: Rocksolid Light
www.novabbs.com

deleted the spool files

<na.260.2q7op5@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=204&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#204

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Subject: deleted the spool files
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2020 05:57:59 -0700
 by: Anonymous - Mon, 1 Jun 2020 12:57 UTC

>Could you please delete in the spool all the <group.name> - * files (except -overview and -title):

I did that now, programming displays correctly afaics.
Will try that one social as well.
For the rest will take me a bit.

cheers

trw

that fixed social as well

<na.261.4ce2xb@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=205&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#205

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Subject: that fixed social as well
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2020 06:02:39 -0700
 by: Anonymous - Mon, 1 Jun 2020 13:02 UTC

so if i understand you correctly message_read run independently from rslight might be the cause.

i have to look at the code you posted.

Re: rslight-0.6.5d

<c1e8f1b3528064a10acefb583d266483@def4>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=206&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#206

From: ano...@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Subject: Re: rslight-0.6.5d
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2020 18:47:51+0000
 by: anon - Mon, 1 Jun 2020 18:47 UTC

i have vichan_message_read in place now, and i see the differences. let's check how it will handle.

cheers

trw

Posted on def4

the new function works at least

<na.263.kknmu@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=207&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#207

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Subject: the new function works at least
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2020 11:06:28 -0700
 by: Anonymous - Mon, 1 Jun 2020 18:06 UTC

i don't see any funny side effects, neither. hope it will help with rslight.

cheers

trw

Re: the new function works at least

<a0c0f8e6d99489e76ec6f58c94e6c8fd$1@www.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=210&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#210

From: Retro ...@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Subject: Re: the new function works at least
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2020 22:59 UTC
 by: Retro Guy - Mon, 1 Jun 2020 22:59 UTC

Anonymous wrote:

> i don't see any funny side effects, neither. hope it will help with rslight.

I hope so. Is the only failing group now 'social'?

If so, do you have any weird folder names in /var/spool/rslight/articles/rocksolid.social???

Like extra characters after social? Possibly the group description tacked on the end? This was a previous bug that I fixed a while back but who knows, maybe it's still there.

Basically, please check to see if the missing articles exist in the spool, and if the spool directories for the group are structured properly. Also, that the group directory is writable by the web server user.

If anything weird, please check /etc/rslight/rocksolid/groups.txt to see if the line for the group name is odd. There should be group name followed by space or tab, then description (if any).

Retro Guy

--
Posted on: Rocksolid Light
www.novabbs.com

Re: the new function works at least

<b55f67cbe52beff593368c201648dbc5@def4>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=211&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#211

From: ano...@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2020 00:25:28+0000
 by: anon - Tue, 2 Jun 2020 00:25 UTC

> Subject: that fixed social as well

Guess you have overlooked that. with vichan it is tempting to put part of the message in the subject, which is not well readable on some platforms i guess.

so social is working again, too, after the same treatment. all good.

cheers

trw

Posted on def4

Re: that fixed social as well

<77dd7d1141fb570d7686ba111caadb8b$1@www.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=212&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#212

From: Retro ...@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Subject: Re: that fixed social as well
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2020 23:04 UTC
 by: Retro Guy - Mon, 1 Jun 2020 23:04 UTC

Anonymous wrote:

> so if i understand you correctly message_read run independently from rslight might be the cause.

"Might" be the cause. I'm not certain. Just seems strange that the exact same code using the same upstream server through the same network on my test site does not exhibit any of these issues.

I know that newsportal creates data/thread/cache files of it's own, and I'm not sure if running message_read without doing some of the other tasks could make a message not appear. I know that rslight won't show a message even if it exists if it doesn't have the correct support files in place.

The new function I sent simply pulls the article from the spool and puts it into an array for message_parse. Then returns the result.

Retro Guy

--
Posted on: Rocksolid Light
www.novabbs.com

Re: the new function works at least

<797966d744948c97991c9c780ebd0eaa$1@www.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=213&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#213

From: Retro ...@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2020 23:11 UTC
 by: Retro Guy - Mon, 1 Jun 2020 23:11 UTC

anon wrote:

>> Subject: that fixed social as well

> Guess you have overlooked that. with vichan it is tempting to put part of the message in the subject, which is not well readable on some platforms i guess.

> so social is working again, too, after the same treatment. all good.

I saw that, it's why I replied :)

I don't see this message on def2:

Subject: Re: Chatter
From: anonymous@example.com (anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2020 09:17 UTC
AnonUser wrote:

"Non-tech chat"

What else is there? lol

Test chat?

--
Posted on: rslight Debian test site
192.168.0.220

--
Posted on: Rocksolid Light
www.novabbs.com

so far so good

<na.270.45dlrl@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=214&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#214

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Subject: so far so good
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2020 16:18:13 -0700
 by: Anonymous - Mon, 1 Jun 2020 23:18 UTC

>The new function I sent simply pulls the article from the spool and puts it into an array for message_parse.

I guess the more separate the code operates the better.
The optimal solution would be to just use the news server interface, but then I'd have to code a new news client...seems kind of wasteful. :-)
But this setup has run stable now since introduced...

cheers

trw

--
Posted on def2.i2p

but the message is there

<na.271.1gswl3@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=216&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#216

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Subject: but the message is there
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2020 16:19:57 -0700
 by: Anonymous - Mon, 1 Jun 2020 23:19 UTC

here it is:

http://z5bqfv5v75kxy7pj.onion/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=3&group=rocksolid.social#3

--
Posted on def2.i2p

Re: but the message is there

<107bc2b704eca168daf1650962d8d43a$1@z5bqfv5v75kxy7pj.onion>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=217&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#217

From: Retro ...@anon.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Subject: Re: but the message is there
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2020 23:27 UTC
 by: Retro Guy - Mon, 1 Jun 2020 23:27 UTC

Anonymous wrote:

> here it is:

> http://z5bqfv5v75kxy7pj.onion/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=3&group=rocksolid.social#3

A reply exists to that message on the network, but not on def2:

http://dkzerogt6z6ybhcj.onion/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=3&group=rocksolid.social#3

--
Posted on def2
z5bqfv5v75kxy7pj.onion

ok

<na.273.2zvy3x@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=218&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#218

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Subject: ok
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2020 16:31:26 -0700
 by: Anonymous - Mon, 1 Jun 2020 23:31 UTC

now i see what you mean. well, at least i am down from a fully dysfunctional group to a missing reply. :-)

--
Posted on def2.i2p

Re: ok

<5993f835440fbf33535fc781bed0e5af$1@www.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=219&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#219

From: Retro ...@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Subject: Re: ok
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2020 23:58 UTC
 by: Retro Guy - Mon, 1 Jun 2020 23:58 UTC

Anonymous wrote:

> now i see what you mean. well, at least i am down from a fully dysfunctional group to a missing reply. :-)

What do you see in /var/spool/rslight/rocksolid/192.xxx for last article number for programming and social?

This is what it should be from the server:

200 i2pn2.org InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.6.1 ready (no posting)
group rocksolid.programming
211 64 1 64 rocksolid.programming
group rocksolid.social
211 10 1 10 rocksolid.social

So, programming:64 and social:10

Retro Guy

--
Posted on: Rocksolid Light
www.novabbs.com

Re: ok

<7459eac101862d5e41a8e7421bcb6c7f$1@192.168.0.220>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=220&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#220

From: Retro ...@example.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2020 00:04 UTC
 by: Retro Guy - Tue, 2 Jun 2020 00:04 UTC

Interesting... I may have found a bug.

Checking it out...

--
Posted on: rslight Debian test site
192.168.0.220

Re: ok

<9ddc0bb201edf9e19155ff400a9c08e1$1@z5bqfv5v75kxy7pj.onion>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=221&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#221

From: Retro ...@anon.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2020 00:26 UTC
 by: Retro Guy - Tue, 2 Jun 2020 00:26 UTC

Retro Guy wrote:

> Interesting... I may have found a bug.

> Checking it out...

Found a problem specific to r.s.programming, which is weird. Making a minor change to spoolnews.php to see what's going on.

--
Posted on def2
z5bqfv5v75kxy7pj.onion

Pages:123