From: AnonU...@rslight.i2p (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Subject: Balloon Completes Second Round Trip Around World
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2020 06:32:06 +0000
 by: AnonUser - Wed, 24 Jun 2020 06:32 UTC

This is pretty cool. I didn't know it was going on until today:

https://tmedlin.com/balloon-3-2/

06/23/2020

A balloon[1] launched on May 20 by "Amateur Radio Roundtable" web show host Tom
Medlin, W5KUB, and team has begun its third circumnavigation of Earth. The
balloon, at 43,000 - 45,000 feet, completed its second trip around the globe on
June 19. It crossed the Atlantic ocean "in record time" at a speed of about 170
MPH, the balloon website reported this week.

The balloon, identified as W5KUB-18, carries APRS and WSPR amateur radio
payloads. As of the afternoon of June 23, it was heading over Uzbekistan at
over 100 MPH.

As the balloon website states, the mission and goal are to launch a
high-altitude balloon for long-duration and multiple trips around the world.
The balloon, an SBS-13, is capable of flying up to 45,000 feet. "It will be
filled with hydrogen to obtain higher altitude," the website explains. "It will
be solar powered only (no batteries, so it will only transmit during daylight).
We will receive tracking every 10 minutes via WSPR on HF [14.0971 MHz]."
Tracking transmissions will be turned off over the UK, Yemen, and North Korea
due to regulations. The homebrew tracking transmitter runs just 10 mW but,
Medlin told ARRL, it's being heard as far away as 9,000 miles.

"The entire tracker with GPS and processor is only 2 grams," Medlin said.
"That's about the weight of a penny. The entire payload is only 15 grams
total." The current effort is the group's 9th attempt to circumnavigate the
globe.

Medlin says the balloon project has broadened his horizons. "You have to do a
lot of specific engineering and measurements down to the 0.1 gram to fly one,"
he told ARRL. "You also become a weatherman, watching all the NOAA websites,
winds at different altitudes, storms, etc. Storms will bring you down," Medlin
said. With the float altitude set at 44,000 feet, he expects to be able to fly
above most storms. "You also become very well-versed in geography as it flies,"
he added.

Medlin's livestreamed "Amateur Radio Roundtable[2]" (promotional[3]) goes live
on Tuesdays at 9 PM Eastern Time and accepts calls from viewers. The show is
simulcast on HF at 5,130 kHz. He has operated a live cam at Dayton Hamvention¿
for several years.

"It's been a great experience, and hams around the world are having a great
time," Medlin attested. "I even issue them a certificate for being part of the
experience. Many young people are watching and getting involved, and teachers
who teach STEM are contacting me to get information and help. We are having
fun."

--
Posted on: Rocksolid Light
www.novabbs.com

this is cool stuff

<b.1349.3n1srr@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=196&group=rocksolid.shared.offtopic#196

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Subject: this is cool stuff
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2020 15:02:12 -0700
 by: Anonymous - Thu, 25 Jun 2020 22:02 UTC

i like hardware hacking projects, although i seldom get the energy together.
would it be possible to have a network of those, providing a kind of mesh network by broadcasting digital/binary signals ? that would be really nice...
i wonder: can just anyone put a ballon in the air and let it circle the globe ? what about other flying objects (i guess not many planes fly at this height, but some military ones maybe ?)

--
Posted on def2

Re: this is cool stuff

<351163053c574821f68f6a0f904ecb07$1@www.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=198&group=rocksolid.shared.offtopic#198

From: AnonU...@rslight.i2p (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Subject: Re: this is cool stuff
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2020 10:12:52 +0000
 by: AnonUser - Sat, 27 Jun 2020 10:12 UTC

Anonymous wrote:

> i like hardware hacking projects, although i seldom get the energy together.
> would it be possible to have a network of those, providing a kind of mesh network by broadcasting digital/binary signals ? that would be really nice...

I've been interested in that for quite a while. The idea for a while to use wireless routers to build neighborhood networks was interesting, but I'm not sure it ever went anywhere. The whole idea of such networks is appealing.

> i wonder: can just anyone put a ballon in the air and let it circle the globe ? what about other flying objects (i guess not many planes fly at this height, but some military ones maybe ?)

I guess they're broadcasting where they're headed, but I don't think they can control that, just notify. Interesting that they are flying over some areas you wouldn't think they would be allowed.

--
Posted on: Rocksolid Light
www.novabbs.com

Re: this is cool stuff

<rd7mjh$713$1@def5.org>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=199&group=rocksolid.shared.offtopic#199

From: gue...@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Guest)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2020 08:59:16 -0400
 by: Guest - Sat, 27 Jun 2020 12:59 UTC

Well done ARRL.

UK has the same legislation as Yemen and N. Korea?
Posted on def3

national legislation ?

<b.1352.3wga6u@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=200&group=rocksolid.shared.offtopic#200

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Subject: national legislation ?
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2020 08:55:03 -0700
 by: Anonymous - Sat, 27 Jun 2020 15:55 UTC

in airspace this should be almost irrelevant since it is international agreements governing these (unless maybe in times of war).

--
Posted on def2