For God's sake, stop researching for a while and begin to think!

computers / rocksolid.shared.tor / Re: Nice rant about centralized vs decentralized vs distributed networks

SubjectAuthor
* Nice rant about centralized vs decentralized vs distributed networksAnonymous
+- Nice rant about centralized vs decentralized vs distributed networksRetro Guy
+* Nice rant about centralized vs decentralized vs distributed networksAnonymous
|`- Nice rant about centralized vs decentralized vs distributedRetro Guy
+- Nice rant about centralized vs decentralized vs distributed networksAnonymous
+- NoneAnonymous
+* Nice rant about centralized vs decentralized vs distributed networksAnonymous
|`- Nice rant about centralized vs decentralized vs distributed networksAnonymous
+- NoneAnonymous
+- NoneAnonymous
+- NoneAnonymous
+* NoneAnonymous
|`- NoneRetro Guy
+* NoneAnonymous
|`* NoneRetro Guy
| `- Noneanonymous
+- Nice rant about centralized vs decentralized vs distributed networksAnonymous
+- NoneAnonymous
+- NoneAnonymous
`- NoneAnonymous

1
Nice rant about centralized vs decentralized vs distributed networks

<to.497.358sbn@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=186&group=rocksolid.shared.tor#186

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.tor
Subject: Nice rant about centralized vs decentralized vs distributed networks
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2021 10:51:22 -0700
logging-data="25135"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org"
 by: Anonymous - Wed, 7 Apr 2021 17:51 UTC

http://xjfbpuj56rdazx4iolylxplbvyft2onuerjeimlcqwaihp3s6r4xebqd.onion/this-site-is-a-centralized-network/

Nice blog in general, too. I know where I stand on the subject, but nice read anyway.

--
Posted on def2

Re: Nice rant about centralized vs decentralized vs distributed networks

<e212eaab3ba9750a952dc60df2f9e513$1@news.novabbs.org>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=187&group=rocksolid.shared.tor#187

From: retro....@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.tor
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2021 23:22:01 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Wed, 7 Apr 2021 23:22 UTC

Anonymous wrote:

> http://xjfbpuj56rdazx4iolylxplbvyft2onuerjeimlcqwaihp3s6r4xebqd.onion/this-site-is-a-centralized-network/

> Nice blog in general, too. I know where I stand on the subject, but nice read anyway.

It's a good post. I don't agree 100% with it, but it makes good sense.

Here's something that struck me when digging through using activitypub,

"But where we part ways is not forcing you to log in and identify yourselves. Because of this, we can no longer support decentralized networking. Especially services such as Mastodon and PeerTube."

Since it requires "Actor" objects, the only way I can see to allow anonymous usage is maybe make the "Actor" a peer of sorts, and allow anon posting through that.

Anyway, that part of the blog caught my attention as it's something I'm concerned about with activitypub.
--
Posted on Rocksolid Light

Re: Nice rant about centralized vs decentralized vs distributed networks

<to.499.3pj449@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=188&group=rocksolid.shared.tor#188

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.tor
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2021 10:34:49 -0700
logging-data="24760"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org"
 by: Anonymous - Thu, 8 Apr 2021 17:34 UTC

>498
>Since it requires "Actor" objects, the only way I can see to allow anonymous usage is maybe make the "Actor" a peer of sorts, and allow anon posting through that.

From the standpoint of anonymization, isn't that what rocksolid does today ? I mean, anyone can post as anonymous, but latest when the article is forwarded, the nodes identity becomes part of it.

--
Posted on def2

Re: Nice rant about centralized vs decentralized vs distributed networks

<20210409024553.68318fb70d1a9eb6b0f6aa7c@novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=190&group=rocksolid.shared.tor#190

From: retro...@novabbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.tor
Subject: Re: Nice rant about centralized vs decentralized vs distributed
networks
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2021 02:45:53 -0700
 by: Retro Guy - Fri, 9 Apr 2021 09:45 UTC

On Thu, 08 Apr 2021 10:34:49 -0700
Anonymous <poster@anon.com> wrote:

> >498
> >Since it requires "Actor" objects, the only way I can see to allow anonymous usage is maybe make the "Actor" a peer of sorts, and allow anon posting through that.
>
> From the standpoint of anonymization, isn't that what rocksolid does today ? I mean, anyone can post as anonymous, but latest when the article is forwarded, the nodes identity becomes part of it.

I think that's accurate, it is how rocksolid operates. I just wonder if we do give activitypub a try, would other nodes appreciate that one Actor is really a bunch of posters? I have no idea, but it's something on my mind.

Re: Nice rant about centralized vs decentralized vs distributed networks

<to.502.21xqh0@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=191&group=rocksolid.shared.tor#191

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.tor
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2021 08:12:54 -0700
logging-data="2414"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org"
 by: Anonymous - Fri, 9 Apr 2021 15:12 UTC

>>a9353e2d7adfdeda08
> would other nodes appreciate that one Actor is really a bunch of posters?
Good point. It goes somewhat against the approach of activitypub.
On the other hand, if the ecosystem as a whole resents completely anonymous posting, it is not for me anyway. :-)

--
Posted on def2

None

<to.506.1dsu5c@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=195&group=rocksolid.shared.tor#195

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.tor
Subject: None
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2021 02:16:26 -0700
logging-data="31025"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org"
 by: Anonymous - Fri, 16 Apr 2021 09:16 UTC

>>48d0ea57fbbabae574
>if the ecosystem as a whole resents completely anonymous posting
the mastodon and gab crowd would everyone else doesnt care even the gnusocial one
>>a9353e2d7adfdeda08
theres little to gain with this small community that would be fine with a single federated node holding tons of anonymous users compared to using a much better protocol dare i say even uucp is better then something the w3c threw out for "social networking" when it comes to generic anonymous messages with attachments
this is basically webmail with bbcc "audience" and mailinglist subscriptions "follow/like" backed into the protocol and by standard must support http
https://www.w3.org/TR/activitypub
theres been nonabsolute solutions to the anon of users on host path networks one of them is mixminion
https://www.mixminion.net/minion-design.pdf
here you mount multiple nodes onto the network and have those nodes throw around the "mail" until it hits an exit then the exit sends it out without retaining the real path
if you seriously want this small fringe userbase which at minimum is literate compared to the mastodon and gab cabals userbases some gateway software acting as a router would suffice probably pulling in more protocols that need it like nntp and smtp
the dancing elephants sysadmin proved they cant handle that userbase by banning low effort shitposts but mine are fine until i use retarded space hilter memes? im not even sure here but expect worse with this userbase

--
Posted on def2

Re: Nice rant about centralized vs decentralized vs distributed networks

<to.507.4aihbo@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=196&group=rocksolid.shared.tor#196

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.tor
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2021 09:59:17 -0700
logging-data="7430"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org"
 by: Anonymous - Fri, 16 Apr 2021 16:59 UTC

>>b4724ac9f0e4ac0dff
>pulling in more protocols that need it like nntp and smtp

nntp is what we use to sync nodes today.

>the dancing elephants sysadmin proved they cant handle that userbase by banning low effort shitposts

Flushing the shit is necessary to stop things from stinking up.

>but mine are fine until i use retarded space hilter memes?

Not sure I understand all of your post, but it will not be deleted :-).

> im not even sure here but expect worse with this userbase

you don't like the users of rocksolid ? Now I'm insulted....na, just kidding.

cheers

trw

--
Posted on def2

None

<to.508.3lia6h@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=197&group=rocksolid.shared.tor#197

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.tor
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2021 12:56:27 -0700
logging-data="14041"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org"
 by: Anonymous - Fri, 16 Apr 2021 19:56 UTC
Attachments: come and shitpost in the kiddie pool lmao.png (image/png)

>>6320c7b34f609f4638
>nntp is what we use to sync nodes today.
>you don't like the users of rocksolid ?
>Not sure I understand all of your post
i can tell vary well ill go into depth now
>>pulling in more protocols that need it like nntp and smtp
rfc 3977 articles have a Path: header since they follow the netnews rfc 5537 smtp follows the same to a degree
within a theoretical anonymous setting both the news servers and news readers are affected by this identifiable information but by standard you cant remove this
modifying becomes a pain for other sysadmins debugging issues since they no longer know what node caused a problem
in smtp this is postmaster@ for contacting the operator nntp the closest thing is yelling in the offending news daemons local hierarchy
the idea of mixminion and other anonymous mixers is theres a network which isnt completely open to being anonymous and the mix operators are fine with losing possible debugging but they gain anonymity from other operators on which node sent which message
the users mtas and newsreaders gain anonymity from others knowing what mda or news server they sent to possibly the message headers and the message if theres encryption
even with exits only the exit node is known and the path header is reset for the standard
why there should be a multiprotocol gateway node software written is you need nodes for these types of anonymity implementations this is pulling in more protocols that need it expanding the pool
i assumed too much but the real problem is theres a barrier for running things anonymously call it bandwidth handicapped and unacknowledged about every single way things can go wrong this is why decentralised is preferred over federated but that also has a massive cost on everyone
>> im not even sure here but expect worse with this userbase
the fringe userbase which isnt gab or mastodon bound has circles that will post crafted deepweb and usenet shitposts here constantly even with bots sometimes spamming until they get bored quickly
not being sure about if i should or shouldnt suggest keeping isolated by the administrative actions but rocksoild isnt really isolated https://gitgud.io/iblist/imageboards.json
im indifferent to the rocksolid userbase but ok you can have this

Attachments: come and shitpost in the kiddie pool lmao.png
None

<to.509.11eal@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=198&group=rocksolid.shared.tor#198

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.tor
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2021 13:03:56 -0700
logging-data="19708"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org"
 by: Anonymous - Fri, 16 Apr 2021 20:03 UTC

>>85bf5b4c433b6c0ba8
also importantly in smtp TO: and FROM: get modified depending on which way they are going through an exit
think in abstract pseudonyms for destinations

--
Posted on def2

None

<to.510.3d6ci1@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=199&group=rocksolid.shared.tor#199

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.tor
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2021 15:21:28 -0700
logging-data="19376"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org"
 by: Anonymous - Fri, 16 Apr 2021 22:21 UTC

>>85bf5b4c433b6c0ba8
> https://gitgud.io/iblist/imageboards.json

this link requires registration.

--
Posted on def2

Re: Nice rant about centralized vs decentralized vs distributed networks

<e38cf8d3f146243f79d716df893cfa89@news.novabbs.org>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=200&group=rocksolid.shared.tor#200

From: Anonym...@news.novabbs.org (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.tor
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2021 23:32:07 +0000
 by: Anonymous - Fri, 16 Apr 2021 23:32 UTC

Anonymous wrote:

>>the dancing elephants sysadmin proved they cant handle that userbase by banning low effort shitposts

> Flushing the shit is necessary to stop things from stinking up.

Allowing anonymous posting doesn't mean there can be no moderation. There is no benefit to allowing shit to pile up.

Anonymous != post anything at all
These are two different things to consider and work with.
--
Posted on Rocksolid Light

None

<to.512.1bvdzm@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=201&group=rocksolid.shared.tor#201

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.tor
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2021 22:05:25 -0700
logging-data="18421"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org"
 by: Anonymous - Sat, 17 Apr 2021 05:05 UTC

https://gitgud.io/iblist/imageboards.json/-/raw/master/imageboards.json
its a convenience for https://github.com/ccd0/imageboards.json gitgrep this repo if gitgud is still being broken
>>16a4285edea0727193
>There is no benefit to allowing shit to pile up.
as another tip for >>6320c7b34f609f4638 if the administration or userbase reacts its like unknowingly showing weakness to a predator youve given reason now for some shitposter to put effort into going pass filters to shit things up
i prefer transparency to atleast understand why something was moderated and would like to stop "speaking for" userbases since i dont read minds
its not like everyone in that fringe userbase cares about only illegal content getting deleted and wont follow set rules on a federated network and still not get bored and go back or with the gateways simply stop posting here
speaking in costs here but i can say implementing simple deduplication and nocem bots is good enough usually until you give them a reason to shit the place up

--
Posted on def2

Re: None

<402e68958affb48d92f8fbff0170624b@news.novabbs.org>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=202&group=rocksolid.shared.tor#202

From: retro....@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.tor
Subject: Re: None
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2021 07:33:40 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Sat, 17 Apr 2021 07:33 UTC

Anonymous wrote:

>>>1ea21e4744624b51f3
> https://gitgud.io/iblist/imageboards.json/-/raw/master/imageboards.json
> its a convenience for https://github.com/ccd0/imageboards.json gitgrep this repo if gitgud is still being broken
>>>16a4285edea0727193
>>There is no benefit to allowing shit to pile up.
> as another tip for >>6320c7b34f609f4638 if the administration or userbase reacts its like unknowingly showing weakness to a predator youve given reason now for some shitposter to put effort into going pass filters to shit things up

We've had our waves of shit being posted. Moderation is boring but removes the posts. I'd prefer to not need to delete things, but I will.

> i prefer transparency to atleast understand why something was moderated and would like to stop "speaking for" userbases since i dont read minds
> its not like everyone in that fringe userbase cares about only illegal content getting deleted and wont follow set rules on a federated network and still not get bored and go back or with the gateways simply stop posting here

The faq on some of these sites, mine included, may not be completely clear (it was written early on and has not been updated) but most users (I know there are not many, and that's fine), seem to be able to comprehend what to or not to post.

I basically delete posts of no value (like a one liner, "fuck").
I delete advertisements for things that are illegal in my jurisdiction.
I delete requests for illegal products/services/content.
I delete posts that are made for the sole purpose of being offensive, with no actual value.
I delete posts containing contact information, whether it's meant to dox or it's discretely meant to cause someone else's email/phone/whatever to blow up, or worse yet, causing someone to show up at their door.

I'll also not limit myself to these things as I won't be dragged into an argument about whether something "broke the rules" or not. As you stated, some may choose to not post here and that's fine. It's nice to have a user base, but for those that wish to just post what I deem to be crap, there are plenty of other places to do that. I'm not making money here. A larger user base doesn't line my pockets.

I don't generally delete political opinions, or really any opinions, as I feel it's important for any side to be able to express their views, whether I agree with them or not. I'm sure someone can write some post and call it their opinion and I delete it. I think the general user here (again, not many) know what I mean. Strong debate of a topic is welcome and I feel it is beneficial to all involved.
I don't delete any discussion that doesn't conflict with what I wrote above, whether the discussion interests me or not.

> speaking in costs here but i can say implementing simple deduplication and nocem bots is good enough usually until you give them a reason to shit the place up

Deduplication is built into my software (rslight). nocem is not handled by bots, but it's how I remove a post across several servers at one time.

This is not my first venture into operating forums, etc. I've dealt with this stuff in the past, once on a reasonably large forum (maybe 1,500 - 2,000 posts/day plus video chat) that I ran for years. I learned some of the things to do and not to do as an admin at that time, and will continue to learn.

Again, I don't think moderation is a fun task, but without it the network could easily devolve into something I would no longer wish to be a part of. If some users prefer something other than what we are providing here, there are many other places to spend time.

Retro Guy
--
Posted on Rocksolid Light

None

<to.514.26hw6u@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=203&group=rocksolid.shared.tor#203

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.tor
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2021 01:58:54 -0700
logging-data="14601"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org"
 by: Anonymous - Sat, 17 Apr 2021 08:58 UTC

>>9235e34bb21b99322a
>We've had our waves of shit being posted.
ive tried to explain but proven to still not understand if you believe this to be the peak
it can be way worse due to the circumstances this isnt a centralised register only forum limited to a clean network and the protocol can be considered exotic with how it can be exploited why is there a nntp CAPABILITY STREAMING? wont a majority of news daemons implement it poorly since streaming is complicated?
then again i havent been here since the beginning nor tried exploiting streaming
>I'll also not limit myself to these things as I won't be dragged into an argument about whether something "broke the rules" or not.
fair its your node your rules
>I'm sure someone can write some post and call it their opinion and I delete it.
:^) i have an opinion on not being dragged into arguments and dont think having a public node for other users is good for this requirement i dont use your nodes but local doesnt exist right
theres also being identifiable as the sysadmin and some news daemons adhere to a news@ being available on the same hosts smtp
>nocem is not handled by bots
you really should look into this the patterns arent that hard to detect with common attachment names newsreader/browser metadata and lexical structure if i remember correctly even inn2 can be configured to block articles under a certain size not just above for starting simple it may be enough for rslight if you havent already
more annoying is handling mime to figure out if its a blank message with a legitimate attachment or how big the message really is compared to the entire article
>I would no longer wish to be a part of.
its federated go into a archipelago instead and call it something else
>This is not my first venture into operating forums, etc. I've dealt with this stuff in the past, once on a reasonably large forum (maybe 1,500 - 2,000 posts/day plus video chat) that I ran for years. I learned some of the things to do and not to do as an admin at that time, and will continue to learn.
same here but i operate internal infrastructure and networking where i expect enforced good will and bureaucracy being on my side not forums rather have it as a hobby instead of uh whatever consenting to manually deleting garbage is

--
Posted on def2

Re: None

<ddceea2e86e525bb1cf9175e64cbf4eb@news.novabbs.org>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=204&group=rocksolid.shared.tor#204

From: retro....@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.tor
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2021 09:38:44 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Sat, 17 Apr 2021 09:38 UTC

Anonymous wrote:

>>>9235e34bb21b99322a
>>We've had our waves of shit being posted.
> ive tried to explain but proven to still not understand if you believe this to be the peak

I don't believe we've reached a peak. Not at all.

> it can be way worse due to the circumstances this isnt a centralised register only forum limited to a clean network and the protocol can be considered exotic with how it can be exploited why is there a nntp CAPABILITY STREAMING? wont a majority of news daemons implement it poorly since streaming is complicated?
> then again i havent been here since the beginning nor tried exploiting streaming

Streaming is only available to an inn2 server if the connecting server is added to the configuration of inn2. If configured properly (default install works), inn2 does not allow streaming. rslight doesn't even support streaming, only MODE READER. rslight can handle nntp peer to peer operation without inn2. As long as a rslight server is available (I run several), other clients like vichan, fudforum, etc. can connect to it and sync (as MODE READER). rslight servers will then sync with eachother.

My servers identify by their real domain names and yes, if you email news@ I will receive the email. Anything that exits our small community goes out via an inn2 server, which advertises an abuse email address, which again, I will receive the email.

>>nocem is not handled by bots
> you really should look into this the patterns arent that hard to detect with common attachment names newsreader/browser metadata and lexical structure if i remember correctly even inn2 can be configured to block articles under a certain size not just above for starting simple it may be enough for rslight if you havent already

I have considered auto-filtering small posts. I have not done so yet. I do have automatic filtering in place on all my sites, and also on the external facing inn2 server.

> more annoying is handling mime to figure out if its a blank message with a legitimate attachment or how big the message really is compared to the entire article

Sometimes spam/junk can be helpful as you can learn something from every message that you end up deleting. My filters benefit from the spam/junk that gets through.

>>This is not my first venture into operating forums, etc. I've dealt with this stuff in the past, once on a reasonably large forum (maybe 1,500 - 2,000 posts/day plus video chat) that I ran for years. I learned some of the things to do and not to do as an admin at that time, and will continue to learn.
> same here but i operate internal infrastructure and networking where i expect enforced good will and bureaucracy being on my side not forums rather have it as a hobby instead of uh whatever consenting to manually deleting garbage is

I think some may find the task of moderation, if you choose to do so, more irritating of a task than others may. I also want to be careful to not auto-moderate things with a lot of false positives. I'd like there to be a safe balance and of course that causes me to do some more work.

Retro Guy
--
Posted on Rocksolid Light

Re: Nice rant about centralized vs decentralized vs distributed networks

<to.515.22dxei@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=205&group=rocksolid.shared.tor#205

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.tor
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2021 07:52:46 -0700
logging-data="15949"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org"
 by: Anonymous - Sat, 17 Apr 2021 14:52 UTC

>>4afa60a111e7ce3946
>https://github.com/ccd0/imageboards.json

Thanks, that one is working for me, and it's a good list.

>as another tip for >>6320c7b34f609f4638

You can only moderate or not. I prefer to spend the time and keep the board clean. If this encourages spammers at any point, they are more measures I can take, but I would prefer to leave it like this (it's slow traffic anyways at the moment).

>i prefer transparency to atleast understand why something was moderated

If I delete something, it is usually for the reasons stated in the faq:

-cp and links to cp
-drugs/guns/hitman/cc/redroom offers
-nationalist bullshit
-fully meaningless posts (like "jfir9dhje", or "teach me how to hack")

I only moderate my own nodes, and I'm pretty sure you can find any- and everything I deleted somewhere else, if you want to check (the rocksolid groups are carried by 50+ news servers today).

> and would like to stop "speaking for" userbases since i dont read minds

No, neither do I. I offer a service to the internet, and I have formulated the terms under which you can use it. And I enforce these terms. That's all.

cheers

trw

--
Posted on def2

None

<to.516.38rnhm@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=206&group=rocksolid.shared.tor#206

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.tor
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2021 11:20:07 -0700
logging-data="4932"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org"
 by: Anonymous - Sat, 17 Apr 2021 18:20 UTC

>>322a0787e2321c7d9a
>You can only moderate or not.
that tip wasnt absolute for spammers it depends cancelling as if it was automated and not saying anything is different from making a statement on why you cancelled imminently after
this is why i talked about transparency if you want to play the faq game wait a week until changing it but that still might be an encouragement same as cancelling at all
>they are more measures I can take
you are worse then retro guy when it comes to this so i have my doubts on how much your underplaying unless you mean straight up walling off your nodes which you have done
that list i posted when someone gets bored they go through it automatically its json after all then unleash markov chains on low hanging fruits gather which sites are really dead and which sites reacted then cling on for a few years for whenever the admin decides to stop walling off
def2 got marked by a spider for using vichan in the future you might consider masking things like class="8chan vichan is-not-moderator active-thread" and removing that footer
vichans default garbage input isnt garbage enough for migrating since its common now other engines use unencoded data and css to check for inputs that should be sent as a new migration so you dont need a captcha or cookies which are still breakable for skids unless its a really exotic captcha
>I only moderate my own nodes, and I'm pretty sure you can find any- and everything I deleted somewhere else, if you want to check (the rocksolid groups are carried by 50+ news servers today).
100+ :^) i wouldnt push here otherwise
>That's all.
if you dont know the vectors which spammers and shitposters come from already while naively hosting on skid networks you lost the ability to downplay anything as being that simple
no offense intended new? simpsons spammer but these things come like flash floods you never expect then cling on like parasites you can be lucky and never deal with anything or get slammed everyday from all sides

--
Posted on def2

Re: None

<32e34418d50d3256e3ebd871e7a6fc5f$1@def4.i2p>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=208&group=rocksolid.shared.tor#208

From: anonym...@def4.i2p (anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.tor
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2021 19:52:24 +0000
 by: anonymous - Sat, 17 Apr 2021 19:52 UTC

>Streaming is only available to an inn2 server if the connecting server is added to the configuration of inn2. If configured properly (default install works), inn2 does not allow streaming. rslight doesn't even support streaming, only MODE READER. rslight can handle nntp peer to peer operation without inn2. As long as a rslight server is available (I run several), other clients like vichan, fudforum, etc. can connect to it and sync (as MODE READER). rslight servers will then sync with eachother.
STREAMING was a bad example but otherwise fair MODE READER is pretty limited compared to MODE STREAM and the default "TRANSIT" MODE
i dont allow anonymous connections to anything but MODE READER because of the limited nature i havent even tried MODE STREAMING since i have no use for it just know a news server author implementing it and hating it

None

<to.519.2elho0@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=209&group=rocksolid.shared.tor#209

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.tor
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2021 13:56:48 -0700
logging-data="14001"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org"
 by: Anonymous - Sat, 17 Apr 2021 20:56 UTC

>>86203e6cb716d90b5e
>how much your underplaying unless you mean straight up walling off your nodes which you have done

No, I haven't planned to wall anything off, that would make the whole exercise of running nodes in the first place kind of pointless.
If push came to shove, I would switch off anonymous posting, and make accounts mandatory (if necessary, even with approval before publishing).
But we are running this whole setup for some time now, and so far the super spammers with their markov chains have spared us. Sure, we have had our share of normal spam, but nothing we could not handle so far. Let's hope it stays that way, I like it more like this.

cheers

trw

--
Posted on def2

None

<to.521.44gfrc@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=211&group=rocksolid.shared.tor#211

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.tor
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2021 01:35:27 -0700
logging-data="29957"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org"
 by: Anonymous - Sun, 18 Apr 2021 08:35 UTC

>>42e4dd591a8a44e42a
>If push came to shove, I would switch off anonymous posting, and make accounts mandatory (if necessary, even with approval before publishing).
this was walling off other admins prefer marking what ips are legitimate to whitelist and disallow anonymity
similar end result on legitimate anonymous users but whitelisting accounts would be like the ip tactic compared to leaving registration open

--
Posted on def2