From: use...@novabbs.org (rslight rss feeds)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.feeds.news
Subject: BBC News
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2023 22:40:44 +0000
 by: rslight rss feeds - Wed, 8 Mar 2023 22:40 UTC

More snow to sweep across UK as Arctic blast hits
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64875441?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 8, 2023, 9:07 PM
The Met Office warns up to 40cm of snow could fall in the Peak District and Pennines from Thursday.
--------------------
I'll keep speaking out, says Lineker after criticism
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64891734?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 8, 2023, 6:37 PM
The Match of the Day host was criticised for tweets he posted about the government's new asylum plan.
--------------------
Stopping small boats is 'priority' for British people, says Rishi Sunak
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-64884435?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 8, 2023, 5:33 PM
The prime minister clashed with Sir Keir Starmer over how to tackle migration at Prime Minister's Questions.
--------------------
Harry and Meghan's daughter Princess Lilibet Diana christened in US
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64890702?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 8, 2023, 6:16 PM
Princess Lilibet Diana, who turns two in June, was christened at the couple's LA home last week.
--------------------
The Olympian wrongly sectioned for 26 days
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/64876477?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 8, 2023, 12:02 PM
British Olympian Abi Burton was wrongly sectioned for 26 days and spent 25 days in an induced coma; this is her story.
--------------------
A cartel's mistake could explain the Mexico kidnappings
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-64825204?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 8, 2023, 8:00 PM
A theory that the kidnapping of four Americans was a case of mistaken identity gains strength.
--------------------
Breakthrough as eggs made from male mice cells
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-64893170?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 8, 2023, 6:46 PM
Researchers have created eggs from the cells of male mice, raising the prospect of male couples having their own children.
--------------------
Moscow police officers who abused women sanctioned
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-64838937?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 8, 2023, 5:38 PM
Identified as abusing protesters by a BBC investigation, the two officers are sanctioned by the EU.
--------------------
Boris Johnson gives evidence in Dominic Raab bullying probe
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-64896582?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 8, 2023, 10:24 PM
Dominic Raab served as deputy prime minister and foreign secretary under Boris Johnson.
--------------------
Suella Braverman: Civil servants demand apology over small boats email
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-64890882?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 8, 2023, 10:05 PM
Home Office officials are "livid" about email from the Tory party accusing them of blocking legislation, union chief says.
--------------------
Nicola Bulley: Man, 34, arrested over police scene footage
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-64896952?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 8, 2023, 10:11 PM
Man is held on suspicion of malicious communications offences and perverting the course of justice.
--------------------
Army urged to stop giving out ceremonial daggers as gifts after murders
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-64896245?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 8, 2023, 8:14 PM
A coroner writes to the defence secretary after a veteran used his retirement gift to kill a couple.
--------------------
Watch as car crashes into cafe during podcast recording
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-64894083?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 8, 2023, 5:56 PM
"It's so quiet in here," the host says as an out-of-control car swerves into shot behind him.
--------------------
Budget 2023: 'My energy bills have doubled to £3,000 in a year'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64874571?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 8, 2023, 5:39 PM
A florist in Slough warned now is not the time to scale back support with energy bills.
--------------------
Money Diary: ‘I saved £19 on my bills this week’
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64557568?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 8, 2023, 1:00 AM
Ruth, a 33-year-old jewellery designer from Birmingham, shares her weekly spending diary.
--------------------
Cold weather: What does an unheated room do to your body?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-63602501?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
November 19, 2022, 1:11 AM
The BBC's health and science correspondent undergoes an experiment to find out how a cold home affects him.
--------------------
Cost of living: 'I skip university lectures to do paid work instead'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-64816948?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 6, 2023, 12:12 AM
Heidi is one of many students who say the rising cost of living is affecting their studies.
--------------------
Five ways to save money on train tickets
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64827711?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 8, 2023, 1:33 PM
As rail fares increase, we find the ways passengers can keep journeys as cheap as possible.
--------------------
Cost of living: The care leavers struggling to find university accommodation
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-64735909?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 8, 2023, 9:19 AM
Uni students who are estranged from their families say they often struggle to get a rent guarantor.
--------------------
Always-available veg recipes you can rely on through shortages
https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/articles/always_available_veg#xtor=CS8-1000-%5BEditorialPromo_Box%5D-%5BNewsEditorial_Promo%5D-%5BNewsEditorial_Promo%5D-%5BPS_FOOD~N~zxmhvj6~P_Food_Turnips%5D
March 3, 2023, 2:12 PM
If the limited veg availability has left your meal plans looking shaky, here are some ideas for reliable, always plentiful and simple to prep vegetables to fall back on.
--------------------
Money Diary: 'My DJ gigs bring in £3,000 a month'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64539318?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 1, 2023, 9:59 AM
Aaron, a 33-year-old DJ from east London, shares his weekly spending diary.
--------------------
Renting: Tenants seek 'bills included’ homes as energy costs rise
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64824002?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 3, 2023, 12:01 AM
The phrase "bills included" rises up the list of renters' search terms, but few landlords offer it.
--------------------
Cost-of-living crisis: 'I lived on tea and coffee for a week'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-64803121?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 1, 2023, 10:12 AM
As the government's energy support ends, we talk to those who are struggling with costs.
--------------------
Is it cheaper to study in a coffee shop or at home?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64708230?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
February 24, 2023, 1:08 AM
As prices rise, are there cheaper places than home to work or study?
--------------------
What is the UK inflation rate and why is the cost of living rising?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12196322?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
February 15, 2023, 8:26 AM
The rate at which prices are rising has fallen slightly, but inflation remains near a 40-year high.
--------------------
Rishi Sunak: Hurdles in the race to pass Illegal Migration Bill
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-64890888?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 8, 2023, 8:50 PM
Will new legislation aimed at cutting numbers crossing the Channel have an impact?
--------------------
Lotte Wubben-Moy's open letter after £600m school sport announcement
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64881727?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 8, 2023, 8:00 AM
Lionesses and Arsenal defender Lotte Wubben-Moy reflects on the importance of the government's school sports pledge.
--------------------
Indecent exposure: 'I was the 8th woman he had attacked'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64879554?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 8, 2023, 1:02 PM
Zoe Beaty felt ignored when she reported a flasher - but later learnt the man was a serial offender.
--------------------
Gary Lineker: Why his comments present a problem for the BBC
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-64889868?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 8, 2023, 3:31 PM
How the presenter's remarks, comparing UK asylum policy to 1930s Germany, place the BBC in a pickle.
--------------------
Oscars 2023: Zoe Saldana's box office record (and 15 other Oscar facts)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-64211195?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 8, 2023, 12:02 PM
Quirky coincidences and possible record breakers from this year's Academy Award nominations.
--------------------
'Pig butchering': Former romance scammer reveals tactics
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-64884036?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 8, 2023, 12:57 AM
A former romance scammer reveals the tactics used to lure victims, in a new BBC investigation.
--------------------
Mexico kidnapping: Why a million Americans a year risk Mexico medical tourism
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-64832308?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 8, 2023, 12:29 AM
Some take precautions to avoid being targeted by criminals, like changing their car's licence plate.
--------------------
Holi 2023: What you need to know about the festival of colours
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-64874151?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 8, 2023, 10:08 AM
It's a celebration of love and new beginnings, but also an excuse to throw paint at each other.
--------------------
One woman's family court battle to win her baby back
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64874989?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 8, 2023, 1:00 AM
The BBC reports from the family courts as part of a pilot to improve transparency in the justice system.
--------------------
Invasive plants outnumber British flora, report says
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-64842402?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 8, 2023, 1:29 AM
A 20-year survey of plants shows how agriculture and climate change is affecting UK flora.
--------------------
I finally saw inside my area's best-kept secret after 12 years
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-64811601?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 8, 2023, 6:15 AM
Sheila Noble was delighted to finally find out what lay behind the blue door at number three Morningside Park in Edinburgh.
--------------------
The damaging idea that 'thinner is faster'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/64797365?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 8, 2023, 6:37 AM
It took years for Pippa Woolven to be diagnosed with Red-S. Now she works to raise awareness of the condition.
--------------------
The haters and conspiracy theorists back on Twitter
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-64554381?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 8, 2023, 12:35 AM
A BBC Monitoring investigation has found hundreds of reinstated accounts on Twitter promoting abuse and misinformation.
--------------------
Tottenham 0-0 AC Milan (0-1 agg): Spurs out of Champions League after shutout
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64881080?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 8, 2023, 10:20 PM
Tottenham are knocked out of the Champions League in the last 16 as they are unable to find a way past AC Milan and draw their second leg 0-0.
--------------------
Celtic rally to beat Hearts in Postecoglou's 100th game
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64799698?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 8, 2023, 9:41 PM
Celtic marked Ange Postecoglou's 100th game in charge with a battling comeback win over Hearts to preserve their nine-point Scottish Premiership lead.
--------------------
Arsenal 2-0 Liverpool: Hosts claim comfortable victory after League Cup win
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64806846?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 8, 2023, 10:08 PM
Arsenal return to WSL action after winning the League Cup with a comfortable victory over Liverpool.
--------------------
England and Barcelona midfielder Keira Walsh breaks down her game in masterclass
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/64467858?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 8, 2023, 9:24 AM
Lioness and Barcelona's record signing Keira Walsh gives a masterclass on how to dominate in midfield.
--------------------
Hibernian 1-4 Rangers: Antonio Colak scores twice in convincing win
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64799715?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 8, 2023, 9:40 PM
Rangers produced their best attacking performance under Michael Beale as they blew away Hibernian for their eighth Scottish Premiership win in a row.
--------------------
‘This is insane’ – Japan has power and money, but few female politicians
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-64874853?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 7, 2023, 10:00 PM
In a country with just two women in its cabinet, Satoko Kishimoto is trying to change the culture.
--------------------
‘It felt amazing’ – how cycling let two women escape the Taliban
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/63403027?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 8, 2023, 12:07 AM
When the Taliban seized power in 2021, Yulduz and Fariba Hashimi faced a choice; leave behind their family or leave behind their sporting dreams.
--------------------
It's known as IWD but how did it start?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-64723201?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
February 28, 2023, 4:46 PM
Everything you need to know about global celebrations taking place on 8 March.
--------------------
'Being vulnerable made me better' - through the eyes of women photographers
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-64837281?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 8, 2023, 12:20 AM
Images from members of the photographic community Women Photograph.
--------------------
In pictures: Sunrise swim celebrates women
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-64889062?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 8, 2023, 1:46 PM
Hundreds of swimmers took part in the event at Portobello Beach on the Firth of Forth.
--------------------
Mason: The row over the Migration Bill is just beginning
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-64883462?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 7, 2023, 11:16 PM
The prime minister's aim is clear, but can the Illegal Migration Bill work?
--------------------
Analysis: Will this bill become a reality?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64882930?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 7, 2023, 8:08 PM
The government has unveiled sweeping changes to asylum rules - but admits they may never come into force.
--------------------
How many people cross the Channel in small boats and where do they come from?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53699511?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 7, 2023, 3:12 PM
The number of people claiming asylum in the UK rose sharply in 2022.
--------------------
Watch: The ex-RAF base that could house asylum seekers
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-64889909?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 8, 2023, 12:24 PM
The government is considering MDP Wethersfield in Essex, currently home to military police, as a centre for asylum seekers.
--------------------
How is the UK stopping Channel crossings and what are the legal routes to the UK?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-53734793?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 8, 2023, 11:13 AM
Controversial plans to tackle small-boat crossings have been set out by the home secretary.
--------------------
Watch: Migration bill to have annual cap on asylum, says Braverman
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-64876667?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 7, 2023, 2:02 PM
The home secretary says she is "confident” the bill to cut the number of boats crossing the Channel with asylum seekers is “compatible with international obligations”.
--------------------
Watch: We've tried every other way, says Sunak
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64882621?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 7, 2023, 6:20 PM
The UK PM addresses reporters about new plans to crack down on people crossing the Channel in small boats.
Albanian migrants: Why are they coming to the UK and how many have arrived?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-63473022?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 8, 2023, 12:59 PM
Why are Albanian migrants coming to the UK and how many have arrived?

Click here to read the complete article