From: use...@novabbs.org (rslight rss feeds)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.feeds.news
Subject: BBC News
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 23:05:36 +0000
 by: rslight rss feeds - Thu, 16 Mar 2023 23:05 UTC

NHS 5% pay offer may end bitter dispute in England
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-64977269?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 16, 2023, 6:42 PM
Unions urge nurses, ambulance staff and other members to back deal including a one-off payment.
--------------------
Video shows moment Russian fighter jet hits US drone over Black Sea
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-64975766?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 16, 2023, 6:44 PM
US footage shows the jet apparently dumping fuel as it makes two close passes with the drone.
--------------------
Breast cancer gene linked to Orkney islands
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-64951429?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 16, 2023, 7:30 PM
A gene variant known to increase the risk of breast cancer has been found in people with Orkney heritage.
--------------------
Fire at security building in Russia's Rostov-on-Don
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-64975202?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 16, 2023, 3:11 PM
One person dies in the blaze in a federal security service building in the southern Russian city.
--------------------
France pension protests: Clashes after Macron orders rise in pension age without vote
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-64984374?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 16, 2023, 10:02 PM
France's president has sidelined MPs and forced through plans to raise the pension age from 62 to 64.
--------------------
More than half of England's schools disrupted by strikes
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-64983812?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 16, 2023, 7:04 PM
Teachers walked out for two days this week in their long-running dispute over a fully-funded pay rise.
--------------------
Budget back to work plan 'to cost £70,000 per job'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-your-money-64975682?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 16, 2023, 4:17 PM
The chancellor's schemes will only recruit small numbers at a high cost per job, a think tank forecasts.
--------------------
Chris Kaba family concerned about watchdog resignations
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-64982978?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 16, 2023, 8:19 PM
Chris Kaba, 24, was shot dead by a Met Police officer and the police watchdog is investigating.
--------------------
TikTok: UK ministers banned from using Chinese-owned app on government phones
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-64975672?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 16, 2023, 9:34 PM
Ministers fear sensitive data is at risk - but TikTok denies handing information to Chinese government.
--------------------
Leila Borrington: Woman jailed for killing three-year-old stepson
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-64975538?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 16, 2023, 4:56 PM
Harvey Borrington was non-verbally autistic and therefore could not tell of Leila Borrington's abuse.
--------------------
Police on horseback chase after driver using phone
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-64982398?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 16, 2023, 4:57 PM
Two mounted police officers ride after a man holding his phone while driving through a town centre.
--------------------
Strictly judge Motsi Mabuse says she can't understand northern accents
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-64980687?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 16, 2023, 4:49 PM
Motsi Mabuse says she needs fellow Strictly judge Craig Revel Horwood's help with northern accents.
--------------------
'I may still have to move back in with my parents'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64824078?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 15, 2023, 7:23 PM
Young people tell the BBC what they think of the help announced in the Spring Budget.
--------------------
How to get a job: Six expert tips for finding work
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64939070?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 14, 2023, 2:29 PM
There are 10m people out of work in the UK, so if you're searching for a job you're not alone. Here are some tips on how to get started.
--------------------
Six tips for getting a job if you're over 50
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64625372?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 16, 2023, 11:05 AM
Recruiters and charities give their advice for anyone wanting to get back into work.
--------------------
Energy price guarantee: What help is there for gas and electricity bills?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58090533?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 15, 2023, 2:10 PM
The guarantee limiting typical household energy bills will carry on at the same rate until June.
--------------------
What is the plan for 30 hours of free childcare and how will it work?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-62036045?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 16, 2023, 1:00 PM
The government has announced more help with childcare for some working parents in the Budget.
--------------------
Pensions: How are the lifetime and annual allowances changing?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53082530?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 16, 2023, 11:30 AM
The lifetime limit on tax-free pensions savings will go, and some annual allowances will increase.
--------------------
Budget 2023: Why more parents face losing child benefit
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/64836315?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 15, 2023, 5:10 PM
Thresholds being left unchanged for at least 10 years means many more people are being affected by government policies.
--------------------
Mortgages: What happens if I miss a payment?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63486782?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
February 2, 2023, 1:58 PM
Homeowners are worried about higher mortgage costs, but lenders must help those struggling.
--------------------
Five ways to save money on train tickets
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64827711?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 14, 2023, 5:20 PM
As rail fares increase, we find the ways passengers can keep journeys as cheap as possible.
--------------------
Cost of living: What do I do if I can't afford to pay my debts?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64291327?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 8, 2023, 9:44 PM
What help and options are available to people struggling with debt repayments?
--------------------
Evacuated Afghan women's team included 'false' footballers
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-64967941?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 16, 2023, 6:19 AM
Women footballers evacuated to the UK included some who were not the top players it was claimed.
--------------------
Watch the harrowing rescue of a man stuck in a flooded river
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-64977487?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 16, 2023, 12:14 PM
US firefighters hoist him to safety as he clings on to a barrier in the flooded Los Angeles River.
--------------------
The doctors selling bogus treatments to people facing blindness
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-64838936?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 16, 2023, 12:04 AM
A BBC reporter goes undercover and confronts doctors offering bogus treatments for his genetic condition.
--------------------
PinkPantheress on chart success, Ice Spice and hearing loss: 'I did my mourning already'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-64957515?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 16, 2023, 12:31 AM
The star, who lost 80% of the hearing in her right ear, says she's come to terms with her condition.
--------------------
HS2 delays are prolonging our agony, say Staffordshire farmers
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-64918264?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 16, 2023, 1:39 AM
People whose families have farmed land for generations say they are in a "dreadful situation".
--------------------
Why sleeper trains are being revived across Europe
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64950747?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 16, 2023, 12:03 AM
A number of rail operators are launching new sleeper train services across the continent.
--------------------
South Korea and Japan: A milestone meeting of frenemies
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-64962733?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 16, 2023, 12:09 PM
BBC correspondents explain why historic rivals are trying to rebuild trust - and who stands to gain.
--------------------
Everything we know about the US drone that crashed in the Black Sea
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-64972002?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 16, 2023, 3:53 PM
Everything we know (and don't know) so far about a US drone that crashed in the Black Sea.
--------------------
What is the Ukraine grain deal and what good has it done?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-61759692?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 16, 2023, 12:36 AM
Despite the war, Ukraine has been able to export 23 million tonnes of grain since July 2022.
--------------------
Arsenal 1-1 Sporting Lisbon: Arsenal knocked out of Europa League in penalty shootout defeat
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64971711?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 16, 2023, 10:52 PM
Arsenal are knocked out of the Europa League following a penalty shootout defeat by Sporting Lisbon.
--------------------
Six Nations 2023: Henry Arundell starts for England with Owen Farrell at fly-half
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/64982161?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 16, 2023, 9:12 PM
Wing Henry Arundell will make his first England start while Owen Farrell returns at fly-half for their final Six Nations game against Ireland.
--------------------
Real Betis 0-1 Manchester United (Agg:1-5): Marcus Rashford scores as visitors reach Europa League quarter-finals
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64971951?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 16, 2023, 7:45 PM
Marcus Rashford is on target again as Manchester United cruise into the quarter-finals of the Europa League.
--------------------
Hamilton & other drivers uneasy to be back in Saudi
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/64979439?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 16, 2023, 4:54 PM
Lewis Hamilton and a number of fellow Formula 1 drivers have made it clear they are uncomfortable about being back in Saudi Arabia.
--------------------
England: Gareth Southgate sticks with players he trusts for Euro 2024 qualifiers against Italy and Ukraine
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64982055?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 16, 2023, 4:41 PM
England manager Gareth Southgate believes nothing needs fixing as he names a familiar squad for the Euro 2024 qualifiers against Italy and Ukraine.
--------------------
Jermain Defoe: The goal which was so good it made him cry
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/64953001?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 16, 2023, 6:02 AM
Ex-England striker Jermain Defoe relives his spectacular winning goal for Sunderland against Newcastle in 2015, and explains why it made him cry.
--------------------
West Ham United 4-0 AEK Larnaca (Agg: 6-0): Hammers into Europa Conference League last eight
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64969928?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 16, 2023, 10:18 PM
Jarrod Bowen scores two goals in two second-half minutes as West Ham United beat AEK Larnaca in Europa Conference League.
--------------------
Budget 2023: Pensions tax cut for all is wrong, Labour leader says
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-64972143?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 16, 2023, 5:26 PM
Sir Keir Starmer says tax breaks aimed at keeping doctors in work should only apply to them.
--------------------
Budget 2023: Childcare funding and other Jeremy Hunt claims checked
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/64979853?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 16, 2023, 3:27 PM
The chancellor also made claims about immigration and surgeons working fewer hours.
--------------------
What the Budget means for you and your money
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64963523?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 15, 2023, 4:13 PM
Childcare, energy bill support, pensions and more will affect your finances. This is the impact on you.
--------------------
Chris Mason: Pension perks likely next political flashpoint
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-64972934?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 16, 2023, 1:08 AM
The end of the cap on tax-free pension savings could yet prove totemic, writes our political editor.
--------------------
Budget 2023: Key points at a glance
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64789405?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 16, 2023, 4:05 PM
Chancellor Jeremy Hunt is announcing new economic measures - here's what you need to know.
Pints, power and parents: Three ways the Budget could affect you
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64968932?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 15, 2023, 4:11 PM
The BBC's Vishala Sri-Pathma breaks down how the government's spending plans might impact your pocket.

Click here to read the complete article